The Rise of the Machines – Why Automation is Different this Time

Automation is coming and it will take over 50% of the jobs in the West in the next 20-25 years, maybe even more. What should we do, both individually and on a social level, to make the transition as smooth as possible?

>inb4 humans will find new jobs, they always have, they always will

Not this time. Humans have two kinds of skills: physical and cognitive. Machines of the past were dumb so even though they could replace the physical skills of humans, the cognitive skills of humans were still needed. But now automation is going to take jobs that require cognitive skills, too. There is no 3rd skill to move to.

What will we do when lawyers, journalists, doctors, drivers, cooks, cashiers, laboratory workers etc. become permanently unemployed and unemployable? Will they all start Youtube channels and beg for Patreon bucks or what?

youtube.com/watch?v=WSKi8HfcxEk

Disclaimer: I'm not advocating for universal basic income, at least not without any strings.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZQwzKxrkv4s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

There will be a world war / massive revolts before we get to this 'utopia' I think. If nobody can work people will get bored and start to fuck shit up.

I'm a financial analyst and if my job would be automated and literally every business and economics related job too I guess the only job left for me is a politician (although that has to do with both business and economics) but if an AI could automate a financial analyst I'm sure it could automate a politician too. When an AI can automate a programmer, doctors, analysts, lawyers, etc. I'm sure it can automate every single white collar and grey collar job.
I find it somehow unrealistic that this will happen in 20-25 year but if it happens wouldn't my job just turn into monitoring the AI analysts that replace me? While a human can make a mistake an AI could probably be manipulated easily by fake news or information and do the same mistake again and again with other companies trying to misguide it and sabotage each of its decisions.

learn how to exist pre-industrial style.

Split the remaining work, just make a 4 day workweek

>larping about muh robots
Pathetic escapism

Low quality bait. The jobs are going to go and they are not coming back.

>implying you HAVE a job to lose

yesterday I got accepted in Robotics & Automatization (degree)
feelsgoodman

If it allows me to get more gibsmedats then I'm fine with it.

>what should we do?

We should make a robotized communism: robots are controlled by the state and mantain us

The best scenario would be the increase in production would make base products so widely available that money would lose its meaning for anything but luxury items.
But we could as well expect communism to work if that's the case, stratification of society, massive unrest due to unemployment and revolts with the ascension of dictatorships is the most likely scenario.

>Will they all start Youtube channels and beg for Patreon bucks or what?
This sounds like a bad idea. Look what happened to Andrew Blaze. He didn't get the money he was expecting so he went haywire. I can't help but think that if universal basic income was a thing, this wouldn't have happened.

I can tell you right now that anything that involves human interaction outside of a very base level (a cashier, a laborer) is going to be irreplaceable into the far future. Doctors and lawyers have some of the best anti-automation job security because their careers are based entirely around human innovation, thinking your feet, etc.

The AI workers of the near future will not be EMTs, they will not be in courthouses, and all that shit. Only the middle class will get raped by automation.

Finished my degree in automation engineer three days ago

As long as the machines can be programmed to rape our women, I'm ok with this.

Believe middle class will suffer most even in europe minimum wage is still cheaper then a robot and his maintenance

HAHAHA, YES! MY ARTS DEGREE WILL FINALLY MEAN SOMETHING!!!

>implying automation is a bad thing

Laughing at all the condescending lefties applying for low-skill McDonald's tier jobs after they've realized their liberal arts degree is worth nothing in the real world is rewarding enough - and soon, they're going to be competing with machines to scrub toilets for some capitalist pig for minimum wage.

What a time to be alive/

>443322
>checked 'n kek'd

kek

youtube.com/watch?v=ZQwzKxrkv4s

I don't buy it. Or, not in the 'our whole economy will surely collapse' sort of way. New industry process will create new types of jobs. Automation needs people to maintain it, run it, program it.

Well we won't have a need for seven billion people to exist anymore. In fact, there won't be a need for 99.9999999999999999999% of the population to exist anymore.

Invest in automation stocks.

Such as the $ROBO ETF.