'red pill' me about farming. I just had the most insane thought of buying a farm and running it with my wife

'red pill' me about farming. I just had the most insane thought of buying a farm and running it with my wife.
Any farm boys here?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falu_red
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>running it with my wife
>farm boys here
let me stop you right there....dont do it.

Bad pay, long hours, you're at the whim of the nature.

>Bad pay
Wouldn't that be highly dependent on the type of farm?
>long hours
No problem working long hours for myself.

you mean a proper farm, paying taxes and selling your produce?, or living 'off the grid' and growing just enough to feed your family?
if england is like australia they wont allow the second option, and will use the police and other public services to target you for harassment until you become a sheep again.

Just as God intended.

Embrace that Protestant work ethic, Britbro. Ownership, hard work, and a multitude of offspring will come to you.

I mean a proper farm mate.

It's tough work, you get up at 5am and you work until 7pm. The weather, food prices, wildlife and local regulations will fuck you in the ass every day.

However, if you know what you're doing and you genuinely enjoy being outside, farming can be really comfy.

its only worthwhile if you hire shitskins, even then you will be taxed out the ass.
move to america and grow legal weed instead.

Unless you have a massive amount of land to grow stuff like tobacco, cacao, sugar cane, almonds, soy, etc, you're gonna barely make a living. Profits in farming are driving by the sheer size of modern day farms. And at that point you'd need to mechanize everything.

Stuff like milk and eggs doesn't create enough money. It's why they have to be subsidized in the first world and mechanized.

Go research it mate, see what you find. Give us some updates in this thread on you r research progress/ideas. Tired of these "dream life" threads.

Would you do it in the UK or in the US or...

Are driven*

how do they go about doing that??

>However, if you know what you're doing and you genuinely enjoy being outside, farming can be really comfy.
I know absolutely nothing about farming at this point. I'm a civil engineer by trade.
What's considered 'large'?
I have a lot of money to spend by most people's standards.

>Go research it mate
I will be doing that.
Can't right now as I'm at work.

>Would you do it in the UK or in the US or...
UK or Denmark.

What some of small farms are doing now in my area are getting special licensing for brewing and distilling operation that allows for consumption and distribution as long as one ingredient is grown on the property. The state government has streamlined the process which is surprising.

If you specialize in something and get somewhat creative with how you do it and market it there is a possibility to get a bit of a profit. Localtarian meats for families and restaurants have turned a good profit for a buddy of mine down the road. The downside is that it requires an intensive ammount of work to keep the operation afloat.

Are you from the U.S.?

they gradually make life hard for you, you will be stalked and harassed and eventually framed with a crime.
they would rather have you in prison than living comfortably off the grid.

>I'm a civil engineer by trade
so you're going to give up your useful job for a useless one.

The average US farm size 434 acres, just an example.

Distilling sounds like it could be a decent business if you're good. I imagine it'd be more difficult in the UK though.

A brewpub on a farm would be quite popular I imagine. All materials harvest directly into the brewpot, don't need a national liquor licenses or pay for distribution, attract hipsters and country folk alike.

I had this idea once too, but there is no such thing as small independent farms anymore, huge industrialized farms can pump out a lot of food for cheaper, a small operation can't compete.

Its a huge amount of work, you need big farm to make it profitable, no vacations, no sick days. Your income depends on what the big food companies pay you, you have no leverage to negotiate those deals on your own.

Most farms are actually family owned. They just sell their food to corporations.

>yfw you against all odds make it work and provide sustained living for your family for 3 decades but then you die and a 75% estate tax wipes away everything you've built for your children. They are left with no money, no land, and no formal education

Self sufficiency is the real red pill

Do it!
Get John Seymour's book, it has heaps of stuff you need to know.

The estate tax only applies if it's worth more than like 3 or 4 million dollars. Something like 1% of of the people that have to pay it are farmers.

If you have no idea how to run it, better not get into that.

take the orchard pill and buy one from nz/aus

I didn't know anything about civil engineering either, until I studied it and did the job for 7 years. Still nowhere near to knowing everything.

>3 or 4 million dollars

that figure will never increase, it will probably decrease
3 million dollars of land will be nothing in 2050

If your ready to bust your ass go for it.

Don't do it in Britain. To much rules. And those are stifling innovation.

Start off a homestead. You can find tons of videos on youtube of people homesteading. As you gain experience, you can add more land for crops and animals. Jumping into a five hundred acre farm right off the bat will be too much. Five to ten acres in a rural area is plenty to start with.

It'd have to be either in Denmark or an English speaking country.
I've did some scooping around and for my highest price range I can get farms twice the size of that.
I will take a look.

>I just had the most insane thought of buying a farm and running it with my wife.

Kudos to you, go for it.

M8 try it as a farm hand for a planting season and harvest season or 2. If you can handle long working days in the sun and be on top of everything (this requires many skills) you can enjoy one of the most greatest feelings of accomplishment. When you harvest a crop, watch it go off to the factory and you get the payment there is nothing more redpilling.

That would be difficult from my current location, but it's a good idea. My wife worked on a farm as teenager for several years. A pig and horse farm. Closest thing to farm work I've done is manual labour on building sites.

Basically this, you can't do it the way our anscestors did, just you, your wife and kids living the life. It's only ever profitable if you go for LARGE scale production and mechanization, which is not in line with your comfy dream.

This, and they jew you as hard as they can.

Aren't land and farms ridiculously expensive over in the UK?

I'm aware it's largely mechanised and I have no negative thoughts regarding that.
I'm all for greater efficiency.

Yes, they are. But I have a lot of money compared to most people which could get me something decent.
I wouldn't begin something from nothing, but rather purchase an already working and proven operation.

My family owns a farm and I used to work on it, we made a lot of money but we also ran cookery classes for people interested in rustic food and travelled to open stalls at markets and food festivals

Mushrooms OP. Cultivate wild species of mushroom like chanterelle, morel and porcini. The mushroom craze is still strong in most countries.

Safer growing food for yourself and having some goats, ducks and whatever. Goat meat is meant to be nice and i hear its a good tasty healthy meat. Also duck eggs are the best eggs, really good and also meant to be better for you.

Summertime is the worst. The heat, the flies, the chiggers, the pollen, the gnats in your mouth, the dirt that gets all over you, the blisters and mosquitoes.

And then shit happens. We lost almost half an acre of tomatoes because a neighbor drainage ditch dammed up and flooded our field. Our windmill on the hill pumps water into a tank - the pump seized up.

It's not just work, it's the frustration that for every two steps forward, one step backward.

I wonder if the red barns you see in pictures from USA and Canada are all painted with the Swedish paint Falu red?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falu_red
And I wonder why it's only USA and Canada, maybe Finland and Norway too. Maybe it's like Volvo. Volvo seems to be quite common in USA, and of course in Sweden, but not many other countries. I spent 3 or 4 months in Germany and saw maybe a handful of Volvos.

My grandfather was a draftsman by trade. Made good money, saved up and bought a 5 acres about an hour from work in the 70s. He had a vineyard there, made wine and maintained the vineyard in his spare time on a manageable size of land.

Keep your day job and do it as a hobby.

Grow some patatos, I recommend kerris pinks, blue banner and Shetland blacks. Just because i like flowery patatos, might not be your thing.

Grow some carrots and parsnips, peas and broad beans, green beans.

Grow some cabbage and broccoli. What ever you like.

Home grown food is way more taster and better for you, just grow it in virgin soils, soil that is natural and has not been fucked about with. Far more healthier.

>having some goats,
Keep them far from the house or you'll be sorry. and if you're thinking a small herd of sheep or goats, you'll have to get used to the smell of shit on your clothes.

I'm going to take a look at smallholdings with a track record of profit for sale.

No way are they going near the house. Can't be bothered with sheep.

>Tfw you can't go offgrid in the US
Fucking property taxes. I just want to live a simple farming life without the fucking government bothering me. Is that too much to ask for?

Denmark is good, good soil
Very hard here, due to bad sour soil, and yeah the altitude and we're a bit far up north

the fact you need to ask online about how to farm tells me that farming would kill your and your husband

Nice assumptions, faggot.
I'm young, strong, and have no kids yet. So nothing to lose, except money.

You shouldn't rule it out actually. Their frontier houses came from finnskogen actually, as they were superior to the climate compared to mainland europe. But they have idiotic shapes on the barn roofs over there.

>Paint the walls in blood when bloting!

>The average US farm size 434 acres, just an example.
That's 1.75 square kilometers, what the fuck?

thats retarded

>be just above the cutoff
>sell a couple things and give to someone else
>save millions

laffers curve

It entirely depends on where you live and what you grow. Here in Quebec, you can grow nothing but corn and soy with only a few weeks work in spring and Autumn, a few Roundup treatments. Make about 200$ a ton, and a medium sized farm will let you produce a few thousand tons.

Farm land is really costly tough, because of how fertile it is. But there is always some for sale.

IDK how it goes in Britain, but I'd recommend coming here since it's good work.

I want more than just self sufficieny.
What's the source for that info graphic? Can't see it well.

Nah I've played with the idea my self, I basically "summer-grew-up" on a family farm, that sadly just got sold.

As people say it's hard work, but it's also freedom and food security. Just a tip if you intend to farm strawberries you need an army of people to pick them, we used polacks for it before. It's common that people can come and pick for them self, but that doesn't exactly clear the fields.

Chickens isn't so much trouble, gives eggs and meat. Cows I've not dealt with that much, that's more work. Didn't grow wheat so I don't got experience with that even though I grew up surrounded by those farms. Nah to me it's a dream.

It sucked so hard when the farm just got sold, I lacked just a mill and I could have kept in on family hands. Stupid ass cousin that wanted to be a city boy working at a shitty place earning jackshit. Fucking hate him for that shit, we're not on speaking terms and for a norse that can last decades or till one of us dies. Potatoes are easy to deal with too.

You should start practicing a bit on your lawn first, set some potatoes and veggies and stuff.
It was common with my grand parents generation to grow shit them self, my parent gen are lazy as no good looser that just want to drink and go on holidays.

>what is a greenhouse

its not hard feeding pigs/goats/chickens for a personal mini farm but stay away from cows and shit start semi-small user

>cant scrape together a few hundred bucks a year

look up farm tax ememption and greenbelt/crp programs. I pay 350 bucks a year on 70 acres.

I only know about farming in the states, but here you can't really break into farming like that. Family farms are still multi million dollar businesses that take a leftime of knowledge to run. People are generally born into it.

Unless you are talking about substance farming, which is much more doable.

Don't run a commercial farm. Very high initial cost to get the land you need, and then you'll be Jewed harder than you have ever been before for the rest of your life, and even after death thanks to inheritance tax. Stick to subsistence farming, maybe a little extra to sell locally.

This

This

basically farming is a huge cover for the bestiality community, all the profits they make goes into to leather outfits and new ways of fucking the animals they keep

theres farms here in West Virginia making a killing . guyhas biodomes and everything in Ranson.

hehe, they are big, we use another measurement unit here for this.

I watched this show from a guy from here that moved over there in the 50-60ies and bought a farm. It mas so fucking massive, endless fields of wheat. Nothing of the sort here, small farms because they have been divided up during the years.

Also typically a farmer here just have a handful of cows that lurk around. In Denmark they cram them all on small fields by the hundreds, big difference on farming here and there.

Meat is shit expensive here, you wouldn't even believe it so we buy in Sweden when we can. I n Denmark it's cheap. Right now I'm stocked up with beef from fucking Namibia, half of it is prolly bushmeat. I made a steak here the other day, and fuck me that was not fucking ox. Prolly bamboo or nigger or something

I wouldn't try to build a farm from the ground up. Rather buy one that is already running and profitable. No doubt there's risk and some fuck ups will occur, but I think I will manage to adapt. Depending on the size of the farm, etc.

My family owns a thousand acre farm in the eastern United States.

Work is hard, but how much work you have to do depends entirely on how smart you are.

My dad grows GMO corn (I know) most of the time, but every 7 years or whatever, the fields are switched so that soybeans are grown instead to replenish the nitrogen in the soil.

Farming equipment is pretty much mandatory. A new tractor costs more than a Lamborghini. If you're not careful, you could get into a ton of debt and end up with the bank reposessing your farm to make up for their loans.

This farm has been in my family for almost 200 years. The nearby farms are being bought up and made into high end suburbs for rich college alumni that want to get out of the rat race and retire into a quaint little country area where they can get 2 acres of yard and still be able to watch their football games.

Cunts.

The idea of subsistence farming doesn't attract me mate. I would want to make some money from it for a decent level of material existence.

Like he said its a job you are born into. Young farmers learn all the knowledge they need to run it as they grow up from a youngling. If you were to just jump in like that you would struggle and fail.
Farmers can get pretty fucked if they dont know what they are doing

Go for it. It's hard work as far as I know however.

My suggestion is to tap into the bullshit hype around superfoods and locally grown crap.
Appearantly, hipsters are willing to pay tons for a handfull of quinoa seeds or goji berries

Like others have said, its usually something you have to be born into. Land isn't cheap, because God isnt making any more of it.

> every 7 years or whatever, the fields are switched so that soybeans are grown instead to replenish the nitrogen in the soil.

Thats pretty smart. No one is that smart around here in NI

I don't buy that. Anything can be learned with enough time, motivation, introspection, patience, and guidance.

>hehe, they are big, we use another measurement unit here for this.
I still don't understand how that can be true, in Croatia it's about 5.5 acres or 20-25000square meters. How the hell can their average be 434, it's completely insane. Does that mean that they killed off small farmers completely and now it's just people who bought land from everyone around them? In that case of course you can't get into it as a "beginner" when everyone is a massive landowner who employs shitloads of people and buys ridiculous amounts of mechanization.

>>Meat is shit expensive here, you wouldn't even believe it so we buy in Sweden when we can.
Why, no local production or what?

>A new tractor costs more than a Lamborghini
wew. But it doesn't need lambo insurance. Didn't know they were that expensive though.

You won't make enough money to support a family.