Should prisons be more about punishment or more about rehabilitation?

Should prisons be more about punishment or more about rehabilitation?

Other urls found in this thread:

wnd.com/2017/02/28-years-in-prison-for-racial-slurs-at-black-childs-party/
ctvnews.ca/norwegian-tourist-made-wrong-turn-sentenced-to-7-5-years-1.801938
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

more about executions

Do your own Philosophy homework scrub. The answer is punishment.

Rehabilitation for drug users so violent offenders can take their place in prison instead of getting plead down sentences that allow then to be repeat offenders.

Checked. Some people are just irredeemable, best not to waste any further time, energy or resources on them.

It depends on the offender. Certain people cannot be rehabilitated. Others can.

why not both?

more about punishment. Like the old jails in medieval times. Single man cell with a toilet and a bunk, with torches, other cells around you to chat and walking guards. The sentences were much less long

echoed & witnessed

Neither. It's about keeping them away from the rest of society.

Rape.

Fucking this, rehabilitation is an utopia. If you break the law the only thing you deserve is a bullet right through your skull, period.

More about repaying the debt they owe their victims/society.
They grow their own food and they sell any excess they have if they want to afford any luxuries.

>an

Bigly

Rehabilitation is such a meme.

>If you break the law the only thing you deserve is a bullet right through your skull, period

It really depends on the crime, though, and strength of the conviction. Wouldn't want to kill innocents while the actual perp is still at large

better not stand still for more than 15 minutes at a time then.

Harder sentences:
>more crime
>slave prison system
>nobody changes
>excessive use of force from police

Light sentences
>less criminals
>less crimes
>better prison system
>change to get a job after makes some quit shit like drugs

And on the philosophical point of view we are what we are and it's wrong to punish for it. Prisons are only show for power against stupid/poor people, no real moral behind it.

i was just kidding desu, i agree, the wages of sin is death. But grace is an important part of life too.

Both hard labour and service to the state, but rewards for work well done. If the person behind bars is going to be released the should be rehabilitated, but they must also face consequences for their actions.

Anyone who says "punishment" cares more about appeasing their fee-fees than making society a better place.

Who gives a shit what someone "deserves"? Once their punishment is done they'll be right back where they started. The only possible reason punishment would be a solution is because we like how it feels. There's no logic to it. It doesn't even work as a deterrent.

It's a small price to pay to get rid of criminals. Anyways you don't have to worry about a thing if you don't break the law.

And that makes you perfect for a slave. You just obey until one day it´s 1984. Ironically then you want to start your life as a criminal.

There should be prisons for rehabilitating petty criminals and drug addicts and labor camps for murderers and the such.
Yes, execution is the only way to get rid of people that simply won't change.

Less about slavery.

>Make drug offenses a health issue
>Minor crimes (theft, assault ect.) are paid by reparations in the form of labour
>Major crimes (rape, murder ect.) are punished by stockade
>Pick an island, use the waters and skies as practice for the military
>Prisoners must build their own functional society or die on that island
>The mentally ill who commit major crimes must undergo treatment, and pay diminished reparations to society at large

Prisons are pointless. They breed just as many lifelong criminals as they deter. Rehabilitation, outside of crimes committed due to extenuating circumstances (addiction, poor health, endangerment ect.) barely works.

Should every murderer be killed? Or is there some "selfdefense/actofkindness/rightfulvengeance" kind of shit you would like to include in the law?

What a retard

Go to France once in a while, where you get 2 to 6 years for killing someone

Neither. The answer is incapacitation.

They should be a deterrent

Prisons are not intended to punish or rehab, but to protect society from criminals, by keeping them behind bars.

Who the hell do you think you are? The God who punish or the saints who rehab?

France, unlike your country, is considered as a real society. Not some hillbillys vs black druggies fighting under billionares rules.

Flag checks out, Ahmed and friends want executions back

Wrong, it's 20+ years for 1st degree murder.
Maybe lifetime with 25 years surety (without possibility of parole) for child murderers, hate crimes, terrorism...

Prisons should not even 'be' in the first place.

Temporary confinement only, until you figure out what to do with the person is. Once the verdict is done, apply punishment and let person free to go; or bury.

Certainly punisment system in USA sucks.

Most people in America only go to jail if they do a violent crime or commit another kind of serious felony. Hardly 1984 if you decide to not stab and rob people.

Both

Our 'punishment' system is extremely outdated too. It's not fit for what's happening in the 21st century.

If you're going to imprison someone for more than 10 years, you should just kill them, its better for everyone involved.

maximum sentence should be like 13 years beyond which you just offer the guy a death sentence.

The cell should be single manned, and only outings once in a while. Modern jails are too small and too cosy, you eat outside, you have time outside, you share the cell, can watch tv. I'd far quicker pick a true jail sentence for a shorter span than a modern shared cell with accommodations like in the modern American system- not that i've ever been in jail.

What is the point punishing about violent deeds when whole corrupted society does 10 times more damage? One murderer equals shit compared to one corrupt politician.

Now tell me what punishment do you suggest there should be for corrupted politicians and maybe we're in full agreement.

Excellent idea here. The resources involved in just holding a person in a specific spot for a set amount of time already makes the idea retarded, outside of all the other emergent flaws.

>Should prisons be more about punishment or more about rehabilitation?

How about just fucking keeping the dangerous people locked up??

Punishment. In fact, imprisioning as a punishment is an enourmous waste of resources, it's a fairly recent idea that everyone just accepted.
Punishment should be physical, or humiliating.

bullshit people are going to jail for almost nothing these days.

Implying you can rehabilitate feral animals.

obviously rehabilitation

ask yourself this, what is better, a safer society or a society where you get to trigger your primitive need for revenge that both science and history have shown create repeat offenders.

I think that they need to take into account how smart the criminal is and their general situation, some people can't be helped and have to be kept away, but then for society, not to punish the individual

There was an old Finnish inmate once who was about to be released at the age of 60 or so, I don't remember the story now. He declared that he didn't want to go out, he had nothing. Officials said sorry, have to stick to the program.

He said ok, if you let me out I will kill someone that comes in my way.
So they kept him in.

Depriving someone of his freedom does SHIT when it comes to rehabilitation. Either end them and better luck in the next life, or let them free. I don't know who figured it's civilized to deprive a person of his freedom just to keep them alive. It's a fate worse than death.

There is an exception called prior convictions. If you do misdemeanor assaults over and over, then you can become what's called a habitual offender, which brings jail time.

Every politician is corrupted by one way or another. People should stop giving their power away by voting and forget democracy. In the end people give away freedom for security just because they can´t handle the responsibility and sacrifices it takes to be a free man.

>hate crimes
when will this meme die?
Literally punishing people for thoughtcrimes

you go to jail if you have unpaid parking tickets too.

prisons dont create repeat offenders. Modern accomodations in comfy prisons that make the prisoner act tough does. If he's going to become a bigger criminal its bad. This is why it should be like it was during medieval times. As i wrote, just about all the time spent alone in a larger cell. Similar to pic related

This

yeah, right.

wnd.com/2017/02/28-years-in-prison-for-racial-slurs-at-black-childs-party/

ctvnews.ca/norwegian-tourist-made-wrong-turn-sentenced-to-7-5-years-1.801938

its like you are not even trying, there are loads of these cases, ever done a google search in your life before?

Prisons should be about prevention and rehabilitation. Punishment is an integral part of both.

We know very little about rehabilitation, but I do believe reforms are needed; the view that punishment should be done away with is utterly ridiculous though.

>they can´t handle the responsibility and sacrifices it takes to be a free man.

I may not agree fully on your democracy part, but being a free man is the alpha and omega of my premise too.

I think we are like-minded that there should be no prisons at all. Some punishment and let free again or hang. Most politicians get the noose as well.

>Literally punishing people for thoughtcrimes

You may think what you want, until you don't tell it in public. Even in soviet dictatorship, you could think whatever you wanted.

To deny holocaust, in France, costs your some months/years.

To kill someone costs you years.
To kill someone only because he's jewish, muslim, gay -any color you like- costs you more.

Can't say if good or bad. It's a fact.

They should be more apt to discern between those who can be rehabilitated and those who can't. Those who can ought to have reasonable resources dedicated toward that end; those that can't ought not to be warehoused, but rather put down. This is the maximal-utility option.

I forgot to add that it depends also if they're white.

If not: bullet.

Punitive theory complete.

fpbp

Punishment is stupid in most cases, being in prison is punishment enough. No use making people hate the establishment even more.

This too. Some people are too far gone and there's no point in trying to help. I do think the person should have to consent, otherwise it turns into a way for the government to silence dissidents.

I know this is pol, but I'm going to say they should be for keeping society safe. If there's a bear in the middle of the city, we shoot it, or capture it and move it to zoo where it won't hurt anybody. I feel this is the purpose of prison as well. Some people are pure psychopaths and need to be kept far away from the rest of the population. If a better way to keep us safe came around (like a pill that cures violent impulses), then I'd do away with prisons instantly.

Why create a situation where the prisoners is filled with more hate, loathing and a burning desire for revenge?

Neither. Prisons should be about working.

You can't say if it's good or bad that the punishment is tailored based on the religious or ideological orientation of the victim?

>homicide deaths divided by race
>no mention of who is committing those murders

Did you even read the second article?
He got 7.5 years for running over somebody.

Then how come the problem exist in shit prisons like those in the US where the conditions are third world in many areas, how come tough prison never works anywhere but the countries who also include rehabilitation in their programs have less repeat offenders?

If you're smart about it, there is no difference between punishment and rehabilitation.

But there should also be some more executions.

Yes. The way it is now, it doesn't rehabilitate, it doesn't punish in a way that strongly deters, and it's expensive. That such a worthless system is the global standard is crushing.

At least there is momentum in this field towards changing these systems. Not only that, but diversity in the international goals here means we'll find a better system soon enough.

Definitely. We need to make people scared of committing a crime. That's the only way to reduce the crime rate. The "legal" system in first world countries is way too lax.

After they chimped out and attacked his car and he panicked, yeah

only in lardland would they disregard the situation like that for the benefit of having someone in jail, make the owners rich!

>in a Sup Forums discussion, doesn't know what a hate crime is

Corrections officer here.
AMA

Also, it needs to be rehabilitation. Most of them end up back in the streets, if you make it a 2-4-10 year or whatever sentence pure punishment they all end up batshit crazy, i see it every day.
They need tools to be reintegrated into society or they just end up costing the state more and more each year.

>keeping society safe

So what do you think is more 'civilized' for the sake of your safety, to deprive a creature of its life or of its freedom?

>Some people are too far gone

Depends on your own values.

For some people, killing a nigger doesn't deserve death penalty.

For some people, killing a wild animal deserve torture, then execution.

>a way for the government to silence dissidents

Precisely.
What is the meaning of a "dissident" for common people, politicians, business owners, immigrants, feminists...

>no mention of who is committing those murders

fucking white males, of course

In defense of cucked Europe...

Norway's approach to rehabilitating criminals works, because most of their crooks are just frustrated white people who endured years of hardship and abuse from an overly leftist society that hates them. Whites are capable of committing horrific crimes when pushed to the brink, but they generally feel some sort of empathy and remorse after the fact.

In the US, you can't rehabilitate criminals because most american criminals are nigs and spics with low IQ and a burning hatred of the criminal justice system and white people. Those fucks cannot be rehabilitated, only beaten and broken.

Neither. Prison should be about turning a profit on prison labor. Why should the hard working population provide 3 meals and a bed for prisoners?

you don't actually believe this do you?

You don't believe jailing people work?

What doesn't work is as i said, when you have people mingle all day many times, have shared cells, close cells with other cell mates to chat and act tough all day, tiny cells, tvs, workout outside, cigarettes, etc. Everything there is the problem, not jails as such.

Im not sure where that pic comes from, but in the prison i work at its pretty straight forward who is and isnt white.

Something like that should be included. I said labor camps for those criminals though (they should pay back the harm they did to society)

Of course this would be fucked completely by people in power but in imaginary "always right decision world" it would be just perfect.

why don't you tell me then?
I took a quick glance at wiki article and to me it seems just like "racism", i.e. a phrase coined and used by marxsists to defend degenerates, inferiors and foreigners.

On a side note, you just described why multiculturalism and diversity will never work. Not because of skin colors and shit, but because people who have a gigantic chasm between their ideologies simply cannot coexist in any way.
It just so happens that people of similar ethnic background share the most when it comes to ideological and cultural norms.

>the punishment is tailored based on the religious or ideological orientation of the victim?

Implying than some religions/sex orientations deserve more punishment than other.

Precisely the degeneracy we're in.

When applying to university their are two different boxes for "White Hispanic" and "Non-white Hispanic."

I still don't know what the difference is.

I mean *there

But i thoughy in the bible it said "thou shalt not kill"

Right
Rehab to what?
To when?

Such a huge percentage of prisoners are either crazy or drug addicts. Rehab or something like it makes sense for them. Violent criminals should be separated. I also hate the idea of prisoners self policing and going after other prisoners. Prison gangs should be broken up ruthlessly.

It's a nigger (and spic) problem, really. But mostly a nigger problem. It is sad. These people are genetically engineered farm equipment, now broken and relegated to the welfare plantations. And they can't acknowledge the realities because the Jew pushes the religion of "muh we are all equal"