Tfw my country has, since Saturday, a great area of it burning

>tfw my country has, since Saturday, a great area of it burning
>tfw there is no memory of so many people dying in a fire
>tfw entire villages have been burnt to the ground
>tfw our news stations have broadcast the fire non stop since Saturday
>tfw all they show is people of private charities, like Holy House of Mercy, helping the afflicted, more than State employees
>tfw State leaders haven't said nothing relevant yet
>tfw the State does not clean the forests on Winter to avoid this

KEEP TELLING HOW A BIG STATE WORKS FINE!

Other urls found in this thread:

europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-17-1682_en.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You're not relevant

The vast majority of that land is privately owned.

>Climate change isnt rea-

Maybe it's not the state maybe it's just that Poortugal doesn't have its shit together.

>tfw alberto barbosa

>KEEP TELLING HOW A BIG STATE WORKS FINE!
And It was so, that Portugal woke up.

You're right, It's not.

Too hard to understand

pretty ironic statement

what the fuck are you expecting the leaders to say? That they're going to bring people back to live? Jesus christ, this kind of mentality has been grating for the past few days, it's all I hear on TV.

There is nothing to do, there is nothing that anyone CAN do now. It's done, it's over, people are dead.

Not only that, but it was a NATURAL disaster. The weather has been hot as fuck, the forests are as dry as the desert and then a lightning strike set a tree on fire. What the fuck do you propose, that we put sprinklers all over the country's forests to keep them moist?

Besides, all these people living in those rural areas have been warned for DECADES that the risk of forest fires demands they keep their shit clean, keep the treelines away from their homes, etc. What do they do? The let their yards grow full of dry vegetation, they have trees leaning right against their walls because "the shade feels nice in the summer", they have their houses right up against the forest tree line.

Fuck them, tbqh famalam.

And you are not even European to begin with - please end your life.

I used to live in a town where Portuguese were the majority. They're the most elitist and rude people I have ever met. I'd say this forest fire is well deserved.

FUCK YOU BURGER GO DIE YOURSELF IN A FUCKING FIRE STUPID BURGER. For that rule you deserve to blow up with Yellowstone for being a stupid egocentric burger

Sending thoughts and prayers your way. #PrayforPortugal

I live in California. We are on fire o often that we call Summer "fire season"
I'm totally desensitized to infernos now it's strange to see people so worked up about it

Um??? There were no forest fires before global warming was invented

It is 15:18 20.06.2017 in Poland

I am still waiting for yellowstone

it's the same in Portugal. The only reason people are "freaking out" is because 61 people died in one go. It's rare for a fire to kill even half a dozen people, excluding firefighters.

They're more relevant than you are

Says the non-white.

Mediterranean countries always get wildfires in the Summer.
Thousands of years of evolution turned our native trees thicker and resistant to fires. See Oak tree, Brave Pine tree. These trees can endure the heat during Summer, and even if a forest fire does happen, it normally doesn't go far or even burn the majority of the tree (the top part would be safe, since there are no leaves close to the ground).
The problem is the mass planting of Eucalyptus trees (that has been forbidden for a while) which light on fire extremely quickly just by heat alone. If there's a fire nearby, the Eucalyptus tree will be set on fire just by being close to the fire itself, spreading it even faster. The particular leaf in this tree also dries up quickly during the Summer and is extremely flammable too. Eucalyptus trees have a lot of leaves in them, and they don't disappear too easily even if they fall off the tree.

Climate change or global warming isn't at fault. It's shitty forest planning coupled with no cleaning of the danger zones. Land owners won't do it because it's a money waste, and all it takes is for one person not to do it to fuck everyone else up, so no one does it.

Only around 2-3% of the forest in Portugal is actually owned by the state. As much as I hate it, the state should honestly should just tax the owners of these lands and do a straight up cleanup without even asking them, it should be law. Having huge wildfires like these are much more costly for all of us, and have the added cost of materials and human lives.

This is where I come in!

1) I bet none of those people had insurance that covered fires while living in an area surrounded by forest.

2) The cleaning and recovering will take months! If private forest companies were hired to clean up accumulated combustive agents inside the forest, the fire wouldn't have such big proportion.

3) The government will obviously not be able to help the individuals and families whose houses were destroyed and only private charities like Santa Casa da Misericodia and other private donors will help the cause. The affected area is too irrelevant for the government to really care about it for having relatively few people, being relatively isolated and the services/industries located there are next to none.

Subhuman (1 post by ID) nu-pol

>>tfw the State does not clean the forests on Winter to avoid this
- instead of crying to Sup Forums why don't clean the vegetation before the summer [like my family does] and stop planting eucalyptus.

This is the regulation - (50m-100m).
But you're probably more interested in watching football the rest of the year and get happy when Portugal organizes or wins a cultural event.

Are you implying climate change causes forest fires?

You can't be this retarded.

I don't think these basement dwellers know how flammable a Pine tree is.

>I don't think these basement dwellers know how flammable a Pine tree is.
They're pretty flammable if they're completely dried out, but a healthy pine tree is actually quite heat resistant.
Also, don't confuse brave pine trees with the usual cone pine trees you're probably used to seeing in Nordic countries. We don't have many cone pine trees here. Pic related is what the majority of our forest looks like (the ones without eucalyptus, anyway). Took that picture myself out of Google Street from a nearby forest.

We have the worst mixture ever now - pine trees (some dry / rotten by pine wood nematode - increasing severity of fire severity) and eucalyptus.

Eucalyptus are the trees good for the paper industry - grow fast and have a lower rotation confering a high productivity and economic revenue - the jew trees.

Thank God they haven't done anything. They would just end up getting in the way and making a situation worse.

Related question has the European Union/krauts sent any help this time or is it going to be like last year?

europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-17-1682_en.htm

Also the damage cost doesn't count to calculate the deficit for EU - national govt deficit goals

>Also the damage cost doesn't count to calculate the deficit for EU - national govt deficit goals

Gee wiz mister! Really thankful for this you friendly kraut money lenders.

To bash even more the OP, 2% of the forest área is the hands of State - public hands and we are one of countries with most private ownership of forest in THE WORLD.

>you friendly kraut money lenders.
The main culprit of this (the Germans have to lend Money) - is our politicians - they made us enter th EU -> Eurozone without reforming the state. Even without sovereign debt crisis that affects our countries and others, the Germans are still winning and us losing. Euro as it is - is a mistake.