Where is he in the Self-Help Guru Arc? How soon until his followers exhibit cult-like behavior?

Where is he in the Self-Help Guru Arc? How soon until his followers exhibit cult-like behavior?

Other urls found in this thread:

nationalreview.com/article/448714/jordan-p-peterson-self-help-guru-father-figure
youtube.com/watch?v=5tMtV5p0s4E
youtube.com/watch?v=ptu17q8N-Mo
youtube.com/watch?v=0yHy9JdF5aY
youtube.com/watch?v=KxGPe1jD-qY&t=1510s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

they already do. every person of note has this problem. Obama, trump, Lauren Southern, etc. it's the way it's handled that is important not the fact that it inevitably happens

the cult like behavior comes from people who troll around picking up this and that from here and there.... they will act like they are enlightened and deep but in reality they are just the same pretender they have always been... keeping up on trends and meanings and memes..... people who actually listen to his lectures and understand him wont be the type to go around saying JBP this JBP that.... as someone who has watched all of his personality lectures im pretty depressed when i see JBP on the chans.... its always post by some wannabe intellectual that thinks they have some glorious revelation or someone that cant comprehend his speech going off about something that is totally irrelevant

They already do. I mean he's ok as far as Jungian Symbolism reading goes, but his Tradcon naivete really sticks out like a sore thumb in his life advice section.

Yeah, keeping your room clean is solid, but it doesn't exactly solve problems like inflation at rates where your money lose value faster than you can accumulate any meaningful savings.

That's why i migrated over to LHP.

I just hope he affects a lot of men before they decide to take him down. This article in the National Review states what a lot of young men are missing right now: a father figure: nationalreview.com/article/448714/jordan-p-peterson-self-help-guru-father-figure

Clean your room is what you tell people going to the shrink because they want to change. If they come back and say they didn't clean then you just collect the check and uh huh along without giving anymore advice since they wont listen.

Peterson called Trump the father figure why would these fags say the guy who brings up the need of a successful father role model like Trump is the role model REEeE.

he is as bad as a SJW lecturer, he just explains basic human principles in the most convoluted and confusing ways. sitting there like some sort of philosophical scholar. must be making bank off of it though. nothing he says is new if you are capable of thinking for yourself. remeber milo before he got fired days after trumps election?? just because he represents some of my view points doesn't make him exempt from being a fucking shill.

Exactly this. If the 'leader' doesn't embrace cult-style leadership everything is fine.

That said, I haven't yet seen cult-like behaviour directed at Peterson. It takes more than adoration and respect to constitute cult-like behaviour. Do Peterson fans demonize outsiders as irredeemably bad? That's what it takes and I haven't seen it.

>he is as bad as a SJW lecturer, he just explains basic human principles

That's not what they do. SJWs introduce new principles by riding them in on the back of bulked up social skills, which is animal tier, and is not to be confused with human principles.

>convoluted and confusing

I think you're probably just misunderstanding. How has he contradicted himself? How could his lecturing be stated more succinctly without losing meaning or relevance?

>nothing he says is new if you are capable of thinking for yourself.

But you said he's convoluted and confusing. You already thought up all that stuff yourself, on your own? Impressive.

>emeber milo before he got fired days after trumps election??

I love Milo. Peterson is miles above Milo. They don't have the same goals, the same views or the same methods.

>just because he represents some of my view points doesn't make him exempt from being a fucking shill.

Rather than looking to him to pointless repeat your viewpoints back at you, see whether he can help you grow some new ones.

Thanks for joining the conversation and raising some good points.

ayy

How do people not see his geniusness?

Many do, but it's the others who begin to worship the man and not the message that is the problem.

>Yeah, keeping your room clean is solid, but it doesn't exactly solve problems like inflation at rates where your money lose value faster than you can accumulate any meaningful savings.
wow, you are missing the point a big margin

>you say I should eat my vegetables but that doesnt solve the problem with north korea, deoes it?!

worshipping a message isn't good either

It's as though user has looked to Peterson as a savior messiah with an answer for every problem and is disappointed he isn't that.

Sincerity is the key to success. Once you can fake sincerity, you have it made.

>Once you can fake sincerity, you have it made.
diminishing returns the longer it goes on
overhead needed to process and maintain consistent lies increase over time
not a good plan man
honesty is the only way

Where do you think he stands currently in the arc? I think he's just beginning to gain momentum. He's got a book coming out later this year. I think he will still have a long run to the top.

God gave him the hammer, the hammer became his symbol. How else can an atheist explain where it came from.

he just rants for hours about basic principles.

'you dont have the right not to be offened' The whole room ghasps like he is a fucking revolutionary. nothing he says is new to me he just sits in front of university students and acts like an intellectual.

'I have been thinking about this alot recently' yeah so have i. Please tell me one prinicple he has introduce to the world that isnt absurdly apparent already... just 1

Assholes will do that from day one because thats just what humans do. Hopefully he just ignores it and keeps his interpretation of the bible and shitting on fucked up college culture going.

another brainlett lashing out against bucko instead of considering that he himself is just ... a brainlett. superbia at its finest.

I think he's going to catalyze the shift of the humanities, the root of western culture, to the internet, by making the first legitimate, accredited de-centralized university. STEM will hopefully follow, though some will always need brick and mortar housing. Universities will be left to rot in the dust a while, the neomarxist invasion will become a church and then eat itself and die, and with luck that will leave room for the STEM fields to return unmolested, and maybe the humanities too someday, in an online/mortar hybrid post-secondary structure.

The hammer represents a powerful idea. Ideas arise from the mind.

pretty far in, he also never adresses it. funny, eh?

>'I have been thinking about this alot recently' yeah so have i. Please tell me one prinicple he has introduce to the world that isnt absurdly apparent already... just 1

His shit with interpreting the bible as a history of the human ability to understand. Also its not new but pointing out that all the philosophers like Nietzsche and others like him were tearing down concepts not because they believed in nothing but because they wanted the heart the truth that would stand up to them. Useful as fuck right now with all the edgy Nihilists around school age.

maybe i am.. maybe people like gasd saad, milo,shapiro and peterson are just lecturers who realized they could make bank from making youtube videos reciting basic shit to stupid yanks.Just the clarify i am not against what he says its just you really should not need a collage professor going over this shit with you if you are past the age of 12. it should be apparent to you by using your own intuition .

Hes pretty surprised at the amount of attention he has. Also hes excited about his own ideas. He is a psychologist though so at some point he is going to take a breathe for a moment and realize what is forming behind him.

>Please tell me one prinicple he has introduce to the world that isnt absurdly apparent already...

Absurdly apparent to whom? I suspect that no matter what I say, you'll say "I already knew that."

His brilliance isn't just what he says (in a sense there are no new ideas), but how he says it, in what order and context. He directly and comprehensively attacks neo-marxists and postmodernists, the nihilism dragging down the West right now. The guy's psych approaches work best for creatives because he's a creative. Part of his power is in poetry.

But to cede to your demand, how about pic related?

If you've heard it before, great. Do you agree with it? If so, what's the problem exactly? What subjects or ideas would you like him to dig deeper into?

>Just the clarify i am not against what he says its just you really should not need a collage professor going over this shit with you if you are past the age of 12. it should be apparent to you by using your own intuition .

They are talking to indoctrinated liberal fucks though. These are people pushing absolutely retarded ideas and no one is standing up to them. They are gaining ground purely through social pressure. Its no surprise a return to basics is effective.

this would be the dream but looking at kikepedia the sjw will try to co-opt it as well

AND THAT'S THE BLOODY THING WITH IDEOLOGIES. YOU KNOW I ALWAYS SAY THAT PEOPLE DON'T HAVE IDEAS, IDEAS HAVE PEOPLE. AND THAT'S THE BLOODY IDEA THAT'S WRAPPED ITS HEAD AROUND AN UNDERWATER KOREAN BASKET WEAVING CARTOON MESSAGE BOARD.

IT'S LIKE.

IT'S LIKE YOU DECIDE OK, OK SO LETS SAY YOU TURN IN AN ESSAY OR A TEST AND YOU GET A PRETTY POOR GRADE YOU KNOW, ONE YOU DIDN'T THINK YOU WERE GOING TO GET. NOW YOU'VE ENCOUNTERED AN ANOMALY. YOU'VE LEFT THE TREES AND YOU'RE ON THE VELDT, AND THAT'S THE BLOODY THING. IT'S NOT ON YOUR OWN VOLITION OF COURSE. SO YOU'VE GOT A COUPLE OF OPTIONS YOU CAN BUCKLE DOWN AND TRY HARDER. OR LETS SAY THIS BAD GRADE THROWS YOU SO. FAR. OFF. THE. TRACK. THAT YOU SAY WELL I COULD JUST DROP THIS CLASS. I COULD JUST DROP OUT OF COLLEGE. I COULD DROP OUT OF THE NORMS OF SOCIETY. AND THEN YOU CAN DROP OUT OF LIFE.

AND BELIEVE ME. THAT IS NOT A ROUTE YOU WANT TO GO DOWN. YOU CAN EXTRAPOLATE THE CONSEQUENCES OF A BAD GRADE ALL THE WAY TO GENOCIDE. AND THAT'S NO JOKE

>the sjw will try
the sjw will fail
why?
because the effort's central uniting factor will be rejection of sjwism

okay great, now break that shit down into simple enlgish and what does it actually reduce to?? art is conceptual and transcends language??? yes i fucking know that already!!! a picture of human face (example the vietman guy getting shot i the head) does say more than a description of the event... and 'otherwise its just properganda doesnt make sense as proerganda is art and art can be propaganda.. its a non-sequiter. sure sounds deep though

The funniest thing about JP's bullshit is that if you follow it through, it again leads to nihilism at the end.

>tfw poe's law is more uplifting than troubling

i really hope he can turn the dream into a reality

all rational thought leads to nihilism. That's why you need to make the leap of faith.

The mind created by god

I love JP. But this is great lol.

>someone that cant comprehend his speech going off about something that is totally irrelevant

? He doesn't say anything that's hard to understand

well yeah i agree but thats exactly why i dont care for him.
he is just like a milo, target audiance is liberal dipshits, gives super stupid basic arguments that wind up the entire room. the substance is fuck all though, just lots of large words (less so in milos case he goes for inflamatory diliberately provocative language. zizek would be another example... he can talk for hours and hours but at the end you have learned nothing

I like his bible talk. Hes doing a series where he describes genesis as the emergence of humanities ability to conceptualize. How we went from seeing certain qualities to seeing a person as the embodiment (leader/pharaoh whatever) then seeing the concept separated from any person.

>a picture [...] does say more than a description of the event
I think what Peterson is saying is that the picture says more than a description of the event COULD.

>otherwise its just properganda doesnt make sense as proerganda is art and art can be propaganda

You say art and propaganda are the same, but the central point of that quote disagrees.

He's saying that propaganda isn't true art because the point of art is to expose and explore the inarticulable. The point of propaganda, on the other hand, is to reverse-engineer that process in a way; to take what has already been articulated and turn it into something that looks profound, that is emotionally influential, to sway the viewer down a specific narrow path of belief. Art, on the other hand, is all about opening the mind to brand new concepts and understandings. And because it isn't a purely logical transition, because there's more to consciousness than math, there's always an element of mystery to that.

There is some overlap between art and propaganda. A drawing is art, and a lot of propaganda is a drawing. But think of this more in terms of the abstract ultimate ideal of art. What is art ultimately for? That's what he means by 'art.'

And this is different from Camus, Sartre and Buddha how exactly?

says you
define god

no bloody joke at all.

he uses a fairly large vocabulary that i imagine plebs not being able to soak up on the fly without looking up meaning of words.... i tried showing some JBP to a friend that isnt that bright and he couldnt comprehend what he was talking about and i had to dub it down for him to understand..... i imagine he cant be the only slightly above retarded person out there that gets defensive when they cant understand something..

he's keeping his output quite modest. Not jumping in on the daily happenings. I think he peaks in 2018

Look at this hipster ass wannabe intellectual over here

Do you even understand what he means when he says clean your room? I think you're missing the point.

but yes i agree with what he says, my overall point he we dont need him or anyone else to point it out, only stupid liberals do and framing it as a deep discussion only gives credence to the thought that they are engaging in a 'debate' when again it is stuff you should not have needed to revise since the age of 12

Oh and I should add: keep in mind postmodern art. The amorphous garbage we see in galleries. In order to mean anything, a piece of art needs to be accompanied by whole damn essay explaining it. That's because none of it is really art. It's nihilistic post-modernist propaganda.

youtube.com/watch?v=5tMtV5p0s4E

cos it's said by a man who is neither cunt nor poo.

you realize its apparent for everyone reading your posts that you're either underage or functionally retarded

seriously, you have the most low-intelligence indicating writing style ive seen from a british person here probably ever

>This thread
Thank god people are finally catching on to JP's vague, pointless pseudo-philosophical rambling.

The only thing apparent to me is that the people criticizing him seem to have a high proportion of brainlets, including you.

>vague, pointless
redundant
>pseudo-philosophical
can you explain what a pseudo-philosophy is?

>my overall point he we dont need him or anyone else to point it out, only stupid liberals do

I dunno, I think we do. We all need friends who are likeminded but still differently-minded enough to help us understand our own thoughts from different angles and expand our minds and grow our ability to articulate. It a healthy exchange. I've been fighting SJW shits since I quit uni 10 years ago (SJW shits made my potential education worthless), and Peterson has helped me a great deal.

Debate is predicated on agreement. Debaters need a mutual starting point in order to say anything meaningful to each other.

> framing it as a deep discussion only gives credence to the thought that they are engaging in a 'debate' when again it is stuff you should not have needed to revise since the age of 12

I think you're dismissing the unknown out of turn. A lot more is unknown than you think.

could you please simplify to one scentence? thats the problem, properganda isnt 'true' art? what does that even mean????

make a point and dont include opinion or interpretation just simplify the origional quote into simple language and then tell me what it means, not your interpretation of it. because bear in mind this is his enterpretation so if you are enterprating his interpretation then what are we even talking about here?

Ask an ant to define a human.

>could you please simplify to one scentence? thats the problem, properganda isnt 'true' art? what does that even mean????

lol no! Reducing all this to one sentence doesn't simplify, it abstracts. To simplfy you've got to dissect into bite-sized morsels. I was trying to do that.

> thats the problem, properganda isnt 'true' art? what does that even mean????

Weeelll I tried to explain that already d00d:

>He's saying that propaganda isn't true art because the point of art is to expose and explore the inarticulable. The point of propaganda, on the other hand, is to reverse-engineer that process in a way; to take what has already been articulated and turn it into something that looks profound, that is emotionally influential, to sway the viewer down a specific narrow path of belief. Art, on the other hand, is all about opening the mind to brand new concepts and understandings. And because it isn't a purely logical transition, because there's more to consciousness than math, there's always an element of mystery to that.

>There is some overlap between art and propaganda. A drawing is art, and a lot of propaganda is a drawing. But think of this more in terms of the abstract ultimate ideal of art. What is art ultimately for? That's what he means by 'art.'

>make a point and dont include opinion or interpretation just simplify the origional quote into simple language

I'm sorry, I don't know how to reword to explain without involving my own interpretation.

> because bear in mind this is his enterpretation so if you are enterprating his interpretation then what are we even talking about here?

The truth.

Jordan's a little too blue pilled on that Aboriginal Question for my liking.

>Ask an ant to define a human.

How can an ant believe in a human if he doesn't know what a human is? What is he believing in? Mystery? Well I believe in that too, but I'd never call it God.

And anyway, I can't ask an ant anything because I don't know how to talk to ants. I know how to talk to humans and I'm talking to you.

...is this trolling, or is there actually someone this legitimately stupid on Sup Forums

He doesn't have all the answers learn from him what you can than move on.

Faggot

He speaks at a college level

Behead the unsorted!
But seriously thats an excellent observation, leaf

>All these postmodernists ITT
Sort yourselves out buckos

I don't think this person is stupid, too much energy, honesty, curiosity. I think this person is young or at least new to the discussion.

>redundant
Yeah you could call him that too
>can you explain what a pseudo-philosophy is?
Generally speaking it's a philosophical outlook that offers no real insight. Most of what he speaks about is redundant information, just pointless expansion into philosophical minutia that really isn't particularly relevant to fucking anything or anyone. Describing how people interact with ideas in excruciating detail is just completely fucking worthless, it wont change anything, you're just diving into an endless rabbit hole, you'll get nothing out of it.

Listening to JP's life advice is like training to be a runner by doing nothing but research human anatomy, the minutia, all the autistic details don't matter so much, the important bit is getting up and actually trying to run.

'to reverse that process in a way'
'abstract ultimate ideal of art'
'the point of art'
'theres more to consciousness than math'
'to expose and explore'

all this stuff is just pseudo intellectual crap, if you cant explain somthing in lamens terms you dont understand it. and again i dont care what he is trying to say from that quote just want to know what he DID say.

Obama and Laura southern have the attitude of ronda rousey before she got KO'd though. Smug and invincible, because they have not faced any real challenges. I probably disagree with 90% of obama's views and agree with 90% of laura southern's views, but I find both obnoxious.

Laura will not be the same after she gets btfo ideologically, she's no where near the level of a ben shapiro or jordan peterson.

i am typing in a pitch black room also so i am not going to correct my own spelling.

>Generally speaking it's a philosophical outlook that offers no real insight.
Have you actually spent the time to watch one of his lectures (not speeches)? Serious question.

Where do you even start with him, videos-wise? I watched him on the Rubin Report and he sounded pretty smart, but it felt like he spent a lot of time describing things that could probably be explained in a few minutes rather than in an hour.

I'd like to see more out of him, he's got interesting ideas.

yeah im sure it does reaffirm your belief, and i say again i dont disagree with him my point he doesnt offer any 'original content' so to speak

> itt: people who don't understand what JBP is doing

Peterson is trained in clinical psychology. He isn't trying to be a philosopher, to come up with some worldview the likes of which have never been seen before, or whatever. He is an engineer of thought processes and ideology. He is there to get you going, to show you the right way, to cut away the bullshit and remind you of what's important and how to live your life. If your life is going great, fine, maybe you don't need to listen to him. (Although there is a second use: if you want to fight back against SJWs post-modernists and communists, you can very easily adopt his line of argumentation, because it is super clear and effective.)

If you're someone like me, trying to pull myself out of a long term rut, his words inspire me. The only thing I want right now is to put myself together. Listening to JBP is helping me get there.
This guy gets it.

start with the personality lectures... start at 1 and go all the way to 22.... if you make it that far you will know where to fo from there

I watched them all, and it's just a bunch of bullshit anecdotes, "HEY DIDYA KNOW THAT..." trivia and random wikipedia articles. He's not even retelling the books he holds so dear (books that everyone should've read in highschool or college anyway) with much added info or commentary.

I was criticizing post modernism before it was cool :(

SLAY YOUR DRAGONS, VENERATE YOUR FATHER, THEN SORT YOURSELF OUT

what / who is LHP?

You need to read this post. If you don't get anything out of JBP yourself then fine, don't listen to him. But his words do a lot of good for many people and you are a complete idiot if you think he has nothing to offer.

I said "reverse engineer that process" not "reverse that process." Reverse-engineering is not reversing.

You call it pseudo-intellectual but you're not understanding it. You're separating it into pieces for no good reason and looking at those separate pieces instead of seeing them as part of an argument.

I don't know what terms you consider layman's terms. I speak as is natural to me and am as succinct as I know how to be. If you don't understand a word, google it. I always do. Look into etymology, too. The evolution of language really helps understanding.

Start maybe with 'layman' (not lamen) and 'reverse-engineer.' And watch that video I linked, if this subject interests you. "The Banishment of Beauty."

I think it's time for us to quit each other now. Too much hostility.

>Generally speaking it's a philosophical outlook that offers no real insight. Most of what he speaks about is redundant information, just pointless expansion into philosophical minutia that really isn't particularly relevant to fucking anything or anyone. Describing how people interact with ideas in excruciating detail is just completely fucking worthless, it wont change anything, you're just diving into an endless rabbit hole, you'll get nothing out of it.
>Listening to JP's life advice is like training to be a runner by doing nothing but research human anatomy, the minutia, all the autistic details don't matter so much, the important bit is getting up and actually trying to run.

There is no way you've listened critically to his lectures. Unless you're an expert on Jungian theory - in which case you'd be smart enough to recognize that the number of people who legitimately understand Jung is vanishingly small.

>not going to correct my own spelling

get used to sounding like a moron in text then.

also, use ONE punctuation mark, it makes you look retarded when you spam them

i like peterson, but he's not a god. and i don't clean my room

I have, I found nothing insightful about them. It's not that I didn't understand what he was saying, but nothing he says is an eye-opener to me, absolutely nothing. I've always seen him as a lightweight conservative rhetorician who just about had the balls to disagree with a bunch of transexuals. Nothing special about him at all.

>The purpose of art is a "pseudo-intellectual" discussion

user, I suspect the only philosophy you've been exposed to previously has been complete shit (post-modernist, naive fundamentalist Christian, etc.). You're just dismissing anything that sounds philosophical reflexively.

Critically read through Rand's "The Romantic Manifesto" and tell me it's pseudo intellectual.

>He isn't trying to be a philosopher, to come up with some worldview the likes of which have never been seen before, or whatever.

This. Peterson's not a god, he's a helper, like Alan Watts was a helper. He's a leader in a limited sense, in academia and some activism. But he's not ultimately a leader. He's certainly not a religious or cult or authoritarian leader. He can't solve your problems for you.

youtube.com/watch?v=ptu17q8N-Mo

Roughly Speaking**

>I've watched them all
You've watched over 150hours of material that you consider "bullshit"? That's just sad mate, talk about a waste of time.

Fair enough, maybe he's not for you. No reason to shit on those that find his work useful. though

>There is no value in understanding how people think and interact.

I wonder if people like you are just too stupid to understand that just because you aren't creative enough to be able to use theory for practical purposes that others aren't. You're the same type of moron who says shit like "Why even bothering to find the Higgs Boson? If we can't make superspaceships vroom vroom with it now it doesn't matter."

Seriously, the world would be a much better place if we didn't have idiots like you insulting others for displaying intellectual powers you're incapable of.

what i mean is convert the quote into simple english using the same amount or less words, because all you have done so far is give an interpretaion of what he might mean by what he said, i just want to know what he said to begin with. it is a easy thing to do with any cohesive scentence, which he did not give. he gave it in the abstract...

user, I'd bet 90% - you're either a radical materialist or a determinist, both of which reject the necessity for philosophy (which is itself a a philosophy).

If you're Nazi flag is unironic, this makes my bet even more probable.

>i just want to know what he said to begin with

You already know that. I gave you the direct quote at the start. You said you didn't understand it. I tried to help. Now you complain that my help isn't the direct quote. You've got to take some leaps of your own by asking your own questions. Study the larger discussion.

Here's more from Peterson on art:
youtube.com/watch?v=0yHy9JdF5aY

Here he is talking about creativity:
youtube.com/watch?v=KxGPe1jD-qY&t=1510s

Just google/youtube "jordan peterson on [subject of interest]." Or philosophy about that subject without Peterson. d00d seriously

He absolutely delves into philosophy - in fact he covers every single branch.

Metaphysics, epistemology, morality, politics, and aesthetics.

> Thinking determinism reduces the need for philosophy

Sounds like you need more philosophy user.