Why isnt there a ramadhan equivalent in christianity?

Why isnt there a ramadhan equivalent in christianity?

Other urls found in this thread:

biblelight.net/feasts.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's the 40 days where you're not supposed to eat meat or something
I don't know what it's called in english but we call it "cuaresma"

ummm, ever heard of lent???
Also sage

Because Jesus said fasting should be private

Man made doctrine that's not in the bible, fasting is a private affair

There is, just very few who practice it.

Also, nice political thread faggot

Thank the Protestants

40 days of lent and advent is not good enough for you?

Matthew 9:15
>And Jesus said unto them, Can the children of the bridechamber mourn, as long as the bridegroom is with them? but the days will come, when the bridegroom shall be taken from them, and then shall they fast.

That's false, read the bible there are no biblical day days you Catholics made up so much mumbo jumbo that aren't in the bible and claim it's biblical, if a Catholic actually read his bible he wouldn't be a catholic

I think that's a slightly extreme interpretation, but I'm not going to call it wrong. I think it's more like because it is a personal thing, you're not supposed to go around making a show of it.

That hardly stops large swaths of Christians from doing some version of something during Lent (or even just on Fridays).

Matthew 6:18
That thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto thy Father which is in secret: and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly.

It's called lent, and it's appropriately placed for a civilization that inhabits the northern hemisphere north of the mediterranian - caspian sea latitude.

biblelight.net/feasts.htm
that's interesting

Why do I know your Geographic Location would produce a Malaysian flag?

Yeah that's what I meant, it's supposed to be something you keep secret, I showed the scripture here
There's no scripture that says you have to practice lent

Theres feast days but no fast days in the bible, I could be wrong you can show me the scripture to support your opinions

Also remeber about not eating meat on fridays

Where does it say that in the bible?

Matthew 4:2
>And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he was afterward an hungred.
There's your number of days.

We all know the Sermon on the Mount, doesn't mean he's telling his disciples not to fast. It's part of a greater theme of not showing off your worship to others to seem more pious to others than you actually are. If you take everything in the sermon at face value and disregard the greater points he's hinting at, you'll also have to pay no thought on what to eat or wear, or pluck your eye out the moment you see any image on this site.

Fasting is for retards.

Jesus fasted for those days, where does it say in the bible that we have to fast for those days?

I believe the tradition comes from a remembrance of Good Friday. It's pretty common to fast in some form from Good Friday until Easter.

It's not like if the bible doesn't explicitly say you have to do something that you can't have a particular tradition that is not in any way at odds with what it does say.

But you can have waterfowl because ducks count as fish not meat.

The bible says don't put man made doctrine over the doctrine of God, fasting is private when we have public fast days it's no longer a private affair.

Because we're not primitive idiot niggers.

Easter? Lent? Christmas?

That's false it's made up Catholic mumbo mumbo

Made up Catholic mumbo jumbo there is no Christmas in the bible or Easter or lent

You're supposed to afflict your soul on the day of atonement, which is usually understood to include fasting.

It's not in the bible, but it's still celebrated.
Isn't that close enough?

"H...hey! A-are you replicating t-the lord's s-suffering out of p-pious d-devotion to him?! Wh-who said you s-should do that?!"

Do it privately if you like that's what Jesus said fasting is private and when you fast privately you will be rewarded publically

But that's my point. It's not putting anything over the doctrine of God. It's just a tradition. It's not like you go out in to public and show you're fasting or whatever. It's just something you and possibly your family or your parish or whatever electively does.

Does it say anywhere in the bible to say the Lord's Prayer every Sunday? Maybe it does, but I doubt it. But that doesn't make it wrong to make it part of a ritual among your family, or your friends, or your community, or even just your own private practice you never tell anybody about.

Look above

Lent.

lent

Thanks for showing the scripture, so there is a day of necessary fasting but is there evidence for any others like lent? No

No
No
Catholicism isn't Christian, the catholic cult started wth Constantine who introduced pagan ideas into the church he destroyed Christianity single handedly so he could use religion as a political tool to control the masses

Because they are not equivalent. Fasting, asceticism in general can help the spirit to approach the essential (God). It is recommended if you do not take it to the limit.

Catholicism started with Christ. The Apostle St. Peter was the first Pope. He was described by Christ to be "the rock" on which He will build His church.

Christians have 4 big fasting periods over the year. Jesus fasted for 40 days and was tempted by the devil so the fasting periods of Easter and Christmas is 40 days.
The fasting of Easter, 40 days from ressurection day to His lifting to heaven is the most important one in Christianity.

Mudslimes don't give a damn about that shit. They just sleep all day before stuffing their faces from dusk to dawn, and call themselves pious for that.

You realize that fasting is less about starving yourself and more about feeding the hungry orphans and widows? OT style>Catholic Bastardization.

There is
Just nobody follows it because Christianity is dead

advent maybe

Wrong
Show the scripture where in the bible did Jesus invent the catholic cult? He didn't
Catholicism didn't start until Constantine when he introduced pagan customs into it and it drifted away from christs teachings and the teachings of the bible
I never said anything about that, you quoted the wrong person I think

Christianity died when Constantine took over and killed the church and influenced it with his pagan beliefs how many people believe the bible? Very few

Matthew 16:18: >And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.

Yes, catholic church suddenly appeared with Constantine.

>this is what anti catholics believe

So he built the church that goes against his teachings? Think before you post

Yes it did, there was no Catholicism before him, would you say America is britain? No it became America in 1776 and it's completely different to what it was before, the church before Constantine is not the same church as it was after him, he introduced pagan ideas into it that are unbiblical. And the popes never changed that to make it more like the old church

so you should fast when your dad dies?
seems reasonable, i wouldnt really be hungry for a while if my dad died

>protestant doesn't know he uses a rewritten bible
ofc your bible is different from the Catholic one mate, yours was rewritten and edited many times depending on your denomination

you're the one who hasn't read the bible correctly since yours is an adapted version

>So he built the church that goes against his teachings?
no, he built the church that followed His teachings

>you Catholics made up so much mumbo jumbo that aren't in the bible and claim it's biblical
not knowing that "catholics" put together the bible all christians use is just silly at this point

christcucks have lent.

Just out of curiosity, what's your denomination? I'm not going to defend the Catholic church as being anything much more than what I happened to be born in to, but it's interesting you're going out of your way to attack a particular denomination rather than prosthelytize a different option, or even just promote the idea of free-form bible study and personal interpretation or whatever.

Doesnt have to do with not eating though, its not falling for temptation, devil tempted chrsit with other shit as well.

I'm not a Protestant
Stop making assumptions all the time
That's not Catholicism
I don't have a denomination I believe the bible literally that's all I believe what's written in the bible not the doctrine of man, the churches teach man made doctrine that goes against God's word

The bridegroom is Jesus you thick cunt.

Fucking Paul man

Is this Pagan?

[The Gnostics] abstain from the Eucharist and from prayer, because they do not confess that they do not confess that the Eucharist is the flesh of our Savior Jesus Christ, flesh which suffered for our sins and which the Father, in his goodness, raised up again. [Letter to Smyrn 7:1 (c. 110 AD)]

What about him
If it is his literal flesh that would mean you're eating forbidden meat, is there scripture that says it's his actual body?

Even though it's written clearly that Jesus didn't eat for forty days?
>Being forty days tempted of the devil. And in those days he did eat nothing: and when they were ended, he afterward hungered.
Luke 4:2

You got it right. It's a change of attitude to remind us the path of righteousness.

Guess he is going to hell

40 days in the desert.
40 years in the desert.

It's a symbolic number.

Why do you say that?

Well rituals are symbolic by nature, case in point the Eucharist. Nevertheless it's a symbol that occurs frequently in the OT, such as Moses fasting for 40 days on Mount Sinai or 40 days of rain in the Great Flood.