One politician’s solution to the overdose problem: Let addicts die

>Under a plan by a city council member in Ohio, people who dial 911 seeking help for someone who's overdosing on opioids may start hearing something new from dispatchers: “No.”

>In response to the opioid epidemic that swept the nation — including the small city of Middletown, population 50,000 — council member Dan Picard has floated an idea that has been called more of “a cry of frustration” than a legitimate solution.

>At a council meeting last week, Picard proposed a three-strikes-style policy for people who repeatedly overdose: Too many overdoses and authorities wouldn't send an ambulance to resuscitate them.

archive.is/BErok

What does Sup Forums think?

If the drug overdose problem gets worse, will this new approach be copied by more and more towns and cities across America?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_v._District_of_Columbia
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>If the drug overdose problem gets worse, will this new approach be copied by more and more towns and cities across America?
No, because the drug overdose problem is a majority white problem
:^)

>town with 50k
>propose controversial idea where people could die
>lawyers already smell blood
>bankruptcy.jpeg

>a municipality has a legal duty to provide ambulance service

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_v._District_of_Columbia

get fucked commie

put them on an island
supply them with drugs(also a good way to dispose of captured narcotics)
their family are free to visit but only during the day no overnight
they are free to leave but no more drugs

Also if they get an std they can't leave until they can never transmit it again. It could be legal if they sign a waiver,like you waive some rights when you enter the military proffesion or become a judge,but also get perks(in this case free drugs and loggings)
Food is whatever surplus shit nobody wants,retailers are encouraged to donate shit that nobody wants or that's expired and still good to eat(canned foods esp who usually last way beyond the best before date)

I would vote for him.

Also no marijuana and derivatives users. They would just go,,uhm free weed brah and just live off the other people with free food and free weed. I need pain and misery,meth opiates,crack etc etc
Also I would ban alkies too,unless we're talking getting the shakes in the morning

If with no legal standing you would still be in court for years following a death. Go OD there user, and prove me right.

>Letting drug addicts die
Good

Allow open season on drug dealers.

Just blow them away in the streets.

If they weren't white they'd make a special task force just to resuscitate them on site

Pretty sure half the drug dealers are addicts themselves.

And anyway, who do you target first?

The Mexicans dealing black tar heroin?
The Chinese funnelling fentanyl pills?
The physicians operating pill mills?

Yess! Also add cyanide so it happens much faster!

i liked Duterte's method better. only cost a few rounds of ammo.

Or the CIA that runs most of the cartells. But that is not going to happen.

Makes sense.

3 ODs and we won't help you after that. It's a bit like having someone try to kill themselves.

At a certain point you're just butting heads.

That is one solution but I think I'll side with the Philippines on this one...

im an actual opiate addict and i think i agree with the 3 strikes thing. it just gets to be a pretty big drain. i know people who have died from ODs. one of them talked about suicide before. they should buy their own narcan and self administer if they feel like they took too much. i also have the controversial idea that all drugs should be legal and provided in a safe and clean manner. the would cut out the criminal underclass, lower std rates, reduce overdoses, as well as increasing the level of freedom of the people. drug law is largely a pretense for social engineering and control.

>my state might do a decent thing
never would have thought, desu.

>Executions for dealers
>Druggie island prison for repeat users and drug motivated crime

You kill drug problems by starving them while eating your way up the ever thinning chain.

Literal ground war on drugs. Death squads, drone bombings, overkill assassinations. Homegrown drug labs burned with the makers still inside. Fuck this filth.

I have an even better idea what to do with drug addicts, send out the responder to the overdosers home and finish them off when they get there.

Good ol' Duterte Harry style.

They did that during the prohibition, also sold poisoned alcohol so that people who'd drink it would die.
>Frustrated that people continued to consume so much alcohol even after placing a ban, federal officials had decided to try a different method of enforcement. They ordered the poisoning of alcohols manufactured in the United States, products regularly stolen by bootleggers and resold as drinkable spirits. The plan was to scare people into giving up illegal drinking. Instead, by the time Prohibition ended in 1933, the federal “poisoning program”, by some estimates, had killed over 10,000 people.

why not just do a better job of 'no more drugs'?

yeah haha, fuck white people

lmao

reminder that prohibition was caused by christcucks.

Why are they so stupid?

prohibition works

ayy lmao from Cincinnati and my entire family is on Heroin, except me. mom and sister have never overdosed, but my two uncles, his wife, and son have. they are now mixing the shit with fetanyl which is what is killing these fucks now. let'em die. they don't want off the shit.

If the US government wasn't allowing record-level exports of opium from afghanistan to supply cheap narcotics in the US we wouldn't have this problem, but clearly killing white citizens with drugs is a priority of governmental agencies.

yeah haha fuck family they can suck it and die

If we go after drugs we have to do it the right way. Heroin etc is after all just a few thousand deaths. No druggie should feel safe. Coffee, tea, cigarettes, chocolate, alcohol, cannabis should be punishable by death after the third offense. Also, people use sugar and fat to become obese and cost a lot more than heroin to society. Those should be put in camps and "treated" unless they get their shit together and start losing weight. This is the price to pay for a just and clean country.Say no to ALL drugs.

the only one I care for is my mom and she snorts the shit not inject it. the rest can fucking die bro. they ain't family anymore when they only care about getting high.

US dope doesn't come from Afghanistan.

Nah, the junkies revoked their white card a long time ago.

maybe you dumb faggots should direct your anger at the people causing this shit instead of hoping your family members od
but fuck that easier to be edgy and tell everyone to suck it

It's a great idea! Whites will shape up. Blacks and spics won't. Incremental suppression at its finest.

Lawyer Shekelberg is going to have a field day if this passes.

Most Americans don't know this, but America was almost on the precipice of a opioid epidemic in the early 1900s.

Doctors would administer morphine frequently and their patients would get addicted. Then, the Harrison Narcotics Tax Act came along in 1914, which heavily regulated the sale of opioids.

A major reason why we have an epidemic now is because doctors started giving oxycodone pills to people who didn't need it.

So yes, prohibition works. We're not going to end up in a libertarian utopia like this guy wants

How do you not understand that markets begin with demand?

This, along with legalization of it. I don't want to be paying police officers or paramedics to chase opiate addicts around.

Has a discussion with some antifa fags (self proclaimed, did threaten me, idc, one thought that Rome collapsed due to lead pipes).

>this has come up
>mainly a drug/medicine they use to help the person out (don't know off the top of my head, but it is used to treat an overdose)
>medicine is pricy as fuck

idiots who od multiple times are a cancer to our society that we shouldn't waste more resources on when they od on their drugs for a fourth time.
So yeah, I'm with the decision on a three strike system

exactly. you cant stop drugs, it is human nature. it isnt even a "low class" issue either. about 10% of people across all income brackets are addicts. there are different reasons, but some feel like they need it to be normal. they are people too and have a right to do what they want to their own body. sick authoritarian fucks feel their boners deflate when people dont listen to their ridiculous ideas and get mad and have murder baby rage.
ohio is heroin capital usa baby. born and raised.
they do want off eventually, at least a lot of em. and i dont think they deserve to die over it. thats kind of twisted, man. i think the dealers lacing product should die though. they are commiting actual murder.
thats what the psychotic fucker sounds like. i take whatever someone who wishes death on their family says with a grain of salt.
i agree, ban oxygen use too. you can get high on it and it slowly kills you. most people with serious, system draining health issues are oxygen users.
imagine the large scale social consequences of this policy. lots of death and violence and fighting back and civil war, and as it is winding down people will be psychologically damaged and looking for more drugs and trust me they will be there. you cant deal with it that way.
i think the reason we have it now is because they stopped giving opiates out. thus people look for the alternative of increasingly more cut heroin with no needle exchanges. i think people have a right to put what they want in their body, but they should be well informed of all the risks and possibly have to do some "training" before they can get their drugs, with things like safe use, how to quit and manage withdrawal, etc.
the demand will never go away
right damn idea. hands off, fuckers.
narcan?

Vancouver Canada here
We had 935 fentanyl related overdoses here last year!
This year we had 488 in the first 4 months, so I'm fucking stoked to see the kill count by the end of the year.
It's not like people don't know about the dangers of hard drug usage it's on the news everyday, there are bus and bus stop ads, radio ads, our government has put a lot of money into trying to get people to not use hard drugs because of the risks.

The downtown east side is so bad that first responders only work there for two years before they are moved away. We should stop funding safe injection sites and put overdoses on a secondary priority for first responders.

>Blacks do drugs
I think our problem solves itself without spending a shekel

The lower the number of drug addicts the lower the demand for drugs, at least in theory.

The lower the demand for drugs, the less financially viable it is for drug suppliers to import drugs.

But it doesn't sound like a very viable solution, if you want to make a cry of frustration - ban opioid prescriptions for pain medication. Purdue is responsible for more drug addicts than anyone else.

Yes it does. The vast majority of the world's heroin comes from afghani poppy.

>big pharma lies to doctors about addictive properties to opioid medicine
>doctors over prescribe what seems to be an amazing new pain treatment
>people become addicted to opioids
>script ends, can't get their fix
>go down the drain seeking street drugs
>lol just die

I actually feel bad for these people, they didn't know what they were taking and how strong the addiction is.
Of course they're not all like that, I wonder what Ohio methadone laws are like.

Sounds good to me.

>let people pay the consequences for their own decisions
Sounds good to me

>i think the reason we have it now is because they stopped giving opiates out. thus people look for the alternative of increasingly more cut heroin with no needle exchanges. i think people have a right to put what they want in their body, but they should be well informed of all the risks and possibly have to do some "training" before they can get their drugs, with things like safe use, how to quit and manage withdrawal, etc.

No, they shouldn't be allowed, because they inflict costs on the people around them and on society in general when they suffer health problems from the drugs they take.

A world in which no-one is allowed to judge other people for their actions is a world where everything is permissible.

I dont get it. The police just refused to work and the court ruled that police dont really have to work or what?

I'm genuinely curious about that. I know doctors the world over just throw antibiotics at everything. But do American doctors really also prescribe addictive medicine for every patient as a matter of course?

If that how addicts start then that changes a lot. But if it's just curious plebs that OD then it's all in god's plan and society shouldn't waste thoughts on them.

Lmao you can literally make meth in a water bottle in a few hours with like 100 bucks worth of crap you can buy from the store. Good luck trying to find tweakers doing that while mobile

Depends, after 1 overdose are they putting their ass in rehab and monitoring them with anklets and house arrest? If not they should be.

If you get resuscitated with an overdose, your ass should be on house arrest, only able to go to work, treatment, and necessary shit like grocery store or doctor/dentist appointments or court. It's for their own damn good

They're sick people and they do need help and some of them got hooked on prescription painkillers that were prescribed with the best intentions, okay we get that. Get them help, but they gotta be harder on that, Nobody should be having a second overdose much less a third.

If they're in treatment and still relapsing and OD 3 times then yeah, let them go because they don't seem to want help.

I live near a small town in west virginia. Its between columbus ohio and richmond virginia so its a drug highway. We have had hundreds of people OD on heroin this year. 50 in a week at one point. Something that is not a coincidence is all the blacks and Mexicans. Blacks make up less than 1% of the population and so do mexcians and suddenly we have thousands in the city over night.
Build that wall will slow the drug trade by a ton. Right now they just cart it over with illegals as the camels. A wall wont stop it but it will put the brakes on it and the price of heroin and other drugs will shoot up so much not as many people will try it.

Heroine junkies are a public health issue since you fags often use one syringe for a party of ten and spread aids and hepatitis.

Other than that I dont feel much need to persecute you, just remember you did it to yourself.
I'd make it a one strike policy though.

Easy plan. Make it legal to do what ever you want to your body, with any drug, and the paramedics can not give you anything to interfere with it. So people OD and the paramedics legally can't help them.

Fucking racists trying to find new ways to kill blacks.

We should build a wall to keep drug trafficking to a minimum.

You forgot about AIDS.

>No, they shouldn't be allowed, because they inflict costs on the people around them and on society in general when they suffer health problems from the drugs they take
Ok public service i get it. But how about private medical insurance plan for drug consumers?

Everyone with a brain knows they are addictive. Most people don't OD because they ran out of their prescription...

The government is of and belongs too the people. You can sanction local governments to have police departments, but they have no obligation to respond to any call. (It's ultimately the people themselves who are responsible for safety)

I.e. if you call the police, they don't have to show up. We've seen this in a few bankrupt townships in the United States where the police department says something to the effect of 'purchase guns people, we will no longer be responding to most calls since we're bankrupt and have one guy on duty'

The police are not your personal helpers. They are agents of the state whose job it is to enforce the law.

If you want someone to hold your dick every time you wee, hire a maid.

>letting heroin addicts finally die rather than spend billions of dollars per year keeping them high
>cry of frustration, rather solution
The media obviously does want a solution to this problem. This is the liberal's answer to everything. Do nothing. Spend more money. Argue with Republicans about thier solutions while offering none of your own. Blame Republicans.

>dan picard
>picard
Might be a lost relative of mine. Should o get in touch with him? I live in PA so I'm right next to him.

N A T U R A L S E L E C T I O N

It means that the police is under no legal obligation to do police stuff and won't be prosecuted specifically for not doing so. They can get disciplined, fired, but not prosecuted.

Goddamn dude, I'm sorry you have to deal with that shit.

People really should start taking care of their own families first.
If someone has a relative they know is falling off, they should intervene and try to help them unless be without them. There are so many social programs where other people's money is used to help people they don't know and its really those programs that nickel and dime a government to death. Earmarked property tax dollars, sales tax dollars, gas taxes, cigarette taxes, roadway tolls, etc. All that money goes into a cookie jar and so long as each hand doesn't take too much to be noticed, it keeps getting pinched.
Death from a thousand cuts, really.

A lot of people were hard working contributors to society. Chronic back pain, post surgery pain, any kind of acute pain that can't be resolved by any other means besides pain killers and time. If you're a doctor and you have a patient post surgery who is in a lot of pain you almost don't have a choice opioids or nothing else strong enough.

They used to be extremely careless with their perceptions and monitoring patients in the months following their prescription but it's gotten a little better.
The opioid crisis isn't just useless drug addicts, it's turning former contributing members of society into drug addicted ruins.

Opioid drug addiction is extremely intense and causes many physical symptoms. A lot of people don't realize how fucked they are until they run out of their prescription. Sometimes they can buy the same pills snd continue self medicating but often times they can't and quickly slide into more street drugs.

You'll never win the war on drugs with a supply side tactic. Ever. It's too lucrative and drugs create their own demand it's their very nature.

The best we can hope for is to curb some of the demand by not overprescribing them, and monitoring those who are on them for legit medical reasons, and finding alternatives to opioids for pain.

I mean we went all out trying to crush Escobar, and we killed him, but guess what happened? Cocaine smuggling into America INCREASED rather than decreased, because another cartel just took over his territory.

What ended the cocaine and crack epidemic of the 80's and early 90's was cocaine fell out of fashion, meth became the new thing instead, and the drop in demand for cocaine killed the Cali cartel faster than any law enforcement agency in the world could do it. Their money dried up.

The only drug that trying a supply side tactic really works for is LSD, because it's so hard to make and it's a smaller market and 1 chemist can supply most of the world's LSD demand all on his own because it's in such small doses. But cocaine? Heroin? Meth? Weed? Too easy to produce. Attacking supply side on those is pointless.

Fuck off, both need to die

My cousin, who was my best friend growing up, OD'd and died two days before the election. My brother is on it and abandon his 4 kids for us to raise. He's probably sucking cock right now or stealing from Walmart to pay for his next fix.

This

It goes nice with arms and self defense infringement
>can you defend us against niggers you put into my neighborhood
>nope
>can i shot nigger entering my house
>nope, and here we actually find time to jail you
BASED

Good I was a Paramedic. Any idea how many times we would have to revive these fucking junkies on the tax payers dime? I personally remember one guy we had to revive 10 times, those doses are not cheap and tax payers foot the bill for yet more welfare.

Let the fuckers die is my opinion. Most OD multiple times.

>docs over-prescribed opiate pain meds
>patients get addicted
>scrip runs out
>have to resort to shitty drugs
>OD because you have no idea how much to take anymore because of how sloppily they cut the heroine
>left to die because disgruntled congressmen are tired of you

>What does Sup Forums think?
He's mostly right. All drugs should be decriminalized, but people killing themselves with them because they are too stupid to handle them properly should be left to die slowly or get helped with a bullet.

>should direct your anger at the people causing this shit

You mean the niggers and puerto ricans?

They can all be gassed too.

legalize it and let them all OD

3 times is too many

It just an extension of previous precedents. Police do not have to enforce any laws. They can choose to enforce or not enforce. That's been determined around 4 times at the supreme court level.

Oh that's fucking great, except why are they getting paid for their services then?

>they should buy their own narcan

I heard you can use narcan to alleviate the symptoms of withdrawl

>put them on an island

If you are actually trying to be serious dont start with that no one will read past it.

psssst.. you might want to look up the demographics of who the opioid epidemic is hitting these days.

Hint: They're white, middle class, middle aged, in the suburbs or rural areas.

actually, the average Opioid overdose death has a case history of being a white male, early 30's, initial diagnosis of back pain or inflammatory arthritis. Prescribed Vicodin/Norco and eventually progresses to Oxycontin or MS contin, and then to heroin or illicit pills with fentanyl laced in them, time from first prescription to overdose death is 2 years on average.

Yes. White, Males.

>Opioid drug addiction is extremely intense and causes many physical symptoms. A lot of people don't realize how fucked they are until they run out of their prescription. Sometimes they can buy the same pills snd continue self medicating but often times they can't and quickly slide into more street drugs.

That's not an excuse to me. I was prescribed hydrocodone after getting my wisdom teeth removed and I stopped after my first dose. It got me high as shit and any rational person would know they are dangerous.

The police are not your personal helpers. They are agents of the state whose job it is to enforce the law.

If you want someone to hold your dick every time you wee, hire a maid.

>I heard you can use narcan to alleviate the symptoms of withdrawl

that doesn't even make sense, if anything it will INCREASE withdrawl symptoms because it blocks opioid receptors

>majority white problem
No. There are a greater number of whites addicted overall but the rate of drug addiction is higher among blacks.

So i have to pay for the services they dont have to provide?
Sounds like theft.

If the people of the town think they aren't getting proper police service, then they can vote to change it, not have a court intervene and give gibsmedats to maintain the status quo.

>muh wadsum teef
try having a fucked up back that shoots lightning down your left leg for the rest of your life shitburger, millions of men that actually work for a living maintaining our civilization get their bodies wrecked and have to take this shit just to not put a gun in their mouth and leave their wives and children fatherless

Yes. Taxation is theft.

pretty boring lifestyle go pick a more expensive habit
up like buying exotic wood and power tools

>I was prescribed hydrocodone after getting my wisdom teeth removed
You burgers are fucking squeamish pussies I swear. I got mine removed (actually they pried them from my jaws after slicing the gum and breaking the bone because they weren't out yet) when I was 15 with a simple 1h hour long local anaesthetic injection and nothing afterwards.

Yes goyim.
Dont treat addiction. Just die

Yes. in the 1980's there was ONE study that suggested only a very small amount of patients prescribed narcotic painkillers for legitimate pain would become addicted. That one memo has been considered the origin of our current problems with pain pill addiction.

It got compounded in the mid 1990's when Purdue Pharmecuticals began marketing oxycontin, where prior to Oxycontin, Physicians gave opioids for acute, emergency room pain, or post operative pain, or cancer patients, they didn't give them for chronic pain. But Oxycontin was marketed as something safe to be prescribed for patients for daily use for chronic pain. Doctors wrote scripts for it and vicodin like they were candy.

Do you realize that the US consumes about 80% of the WORLD's supply of Hydrocodone every year?