Suffering with Minimum Wage

Powerful map. Shows how many hours one must work at minimum wage to afford a one-bedroom apartment, by county. Most must work 60+ hours just to get by. This causes serious chronic pain to the social structure of our people.

Obviously raising the minimum wage ad infinitum is incorrect--one reason being that a huge cause of poverty is our complete failure to stop illegal immigration. But a modest wage bump to offset inflation would make a huge difference in people's lives, and could be part of a larger strategy.

I do not discount arguments that an increase could possibly hurt small businesses. But on some level, as a society we ultimately get to decide the price of full-time labor. If a job is not worth the bare-minimum, then clearly that company needs to reevaluate it's model and existence. I believe it is conservatives who argue that the economy is not a zero-sum pie--thus, labor and entrepreneurship can theoretically redeploy and reapply their efforts in new ways to accommodate a new minimum. Obviously this represents a disruption--but disruptions are not inherently inferior to maintaining a (sinking) status quo. I hold that top-down controls are not inherently bad, but that it is a matter of relative scope and transparency.

I argue a control such as this is necessary to offset other failures of control in what is essentially a top-down system of central bank-controlled fiat currency; we are not in a theoretical free market, devoid of conscious influence--though I support adherence to free market principles in general.

The world must be dealt-with as it is today--not as we wish it was. Also, as Jordan Peterson says, we as a society must figure out a role for low IQ people, who are not going to, say, teach themselves how to code our new robot overlords.

Other urls found in this thread:

heritage.org/jobs-and-labor/report/who-earns-the-minimum-wage-suburban-teenagers-not-single-parents
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Right, if you make minim wage you don't get to have an apartment to yourself.

It is called room mates look into it.

Nebraska only has 3 counties not in the light blue

All I have is a high school diploma and a few years of college and I make $9.15 an hour at the easiest job on the planet (security)

If you unironically make literally minimum wage you should hang yourself

Who do you think yo are, a rugged individualist?

Co-housing is a band-aid, not a solution to the failures of our financial institutions.

I laughed because your point is true and funny. But if you think about it--just look at the scale of people who fall into this category. It is millions upon millions. The negative social impact of this is huge for children and our general upward path. This is reason enough to do something.

>This is reason enough to do something.

WE GOTTA DO SOMETHIN'!!!

>but raising the minimum wage fixes absolutely nothing and only causes more problems. It doesn't actually solve the problem you're looking to fix. It just makes things worse, just like 99.9% of other interventionist policies.

WE

GOTTA

DO

SOMETHIN'!!!!!!!

There is this thing called the market.
It prices what is offered on this market, by comparing what people are willing to offer for it, and what are willing to sell it for.

The labour force is no different. When there are millions of mexicans who can work for less than you do (because they don't pay taxes), your wages go down. This should not come at a great surprise.

Also, why does a capitalist country have a "minimum wage"? Shouldn't you be free to sell your labour at any rate you seem fit? There's no minimum wage here, and we're commies in denial.

Faggot didn't read the post. We live in a controlled economy already due in part to the Fed and failing high finance.

The economy is already controlled against you. We should "reverse-control" it to a new middle so we can have some semblance of free market.

this is fucking bullshit and isnt getting better any time soon

You could deport the illegals, fine the shit out of companies that hire illegals, and thus drive the supply of cheap labour down, making it so that nignogs and wiggers could afford to live on their minimum wage McJobs.

Just a suggestion.

guess the kikes, boomers, gooks, and whoever else should stop buying up, speculating, and inflating real estate

really makes you think

Ask anyone older, they had to start out JUST LIKE YOU ARE NOW.

I had to get room mates for a long time until I moved up in the workforce.

money is fucked

Saying anyone can "sell their labor at any rate they see fit" is incorrect and disingenuous.

A Sale is a negotiation. To negotiate, parties must be on a roughly equal footing. Those earning minimum wage are in no position to fairly negotiate. On the spectrum of power, they are closer to being slaves than to free actors on par with corporations. But hey, at least you can repeat Milton (((Friedman))) talking points back to me.

Sweetie.

Yeah we should have laws that keep people from selling things without government approval.

Fucking commie.

>actually reads article

This.

This solution is actually potentially viable unlike "lol just raise the price floor on the labor market that'll fix it"

but of course it will never happen because it's EXTREMELY RACIST!

I make $8 an hour in food service. In this college town 390 is the cheapest place ive found within walking distance to work, otherwise i pay another 150 for car insurance and another 150 minimum for electric and water. So no car im at 540 a month just on housing and utilities to live alone. Most apartments close to downtown are 700+ because students can afford them and these prices force others up.

Local jobs are exclusively service industry, other fields dominated by older citizens, many college students take jobs from local youth and alchoholism is promoted in the work place.

Get a roommate? Not a bad idea practically speaking, but that mentality allows developers to squeeze 4 bedrooms into 1000 sqft and charge everyone 250-350 per room. Would you want to live with 3 slobbish youths in 100p sqft? Want to split bills with kids whose parents pay their way so they leave the ac running 247? Lol

Omw home after summer to get educated so I dont have to live or work with low iq roasties and burnout drug addicts.

145 iq in 5th grade and ive done nothing with my life

Did it ever occur to you that if the supply of labour was much lower, we wouldn't have this discussion?

If the supply of labour was lower, then yeah, sure, you could get some guy on for a low wage right out of high school. Then only a little bit later, they quit and go somewhere else and work. Something they cannot do now.

The problem is the illegals. So much shit comes from illegals and immigrants that it beggars belief. That (((Friedmann)))'s talking points can be used to underline this point is to his chagrin.

Jesus he said that in the post. What part of "as part of a larger solution" don't you get?

Same thread every fucking day.
Sage

Roasties make upwards of $150 night serving because tits = tips

It's fucking true.

One might argue this poverty problem leads to...degeneracy.

Don't rent what you can't afford - simple

Also, you can rent with other people if needed

But mommy won't take me back!

>Implying that only young people are stuck in poverty with roommates.

Even if you pay a rent?

Only themselves to blame to start with

Exactly.

Arguing against conscious controls of a modern economy is gaslighting--bc elites are already doing it as they see fit. It's like saying, well, if you don't want nuclear war, DONT GET NUCLEAR WEAPONS hurr durr

>makes 1 dollar more then minimum wage
>talks shit about others

2.9% of people in the US earn the minimum wage. That includes people who earn tips.
Half of them are aged 16-24 who probably live with their parents or in a dorm room. A lot of those people actually come from wealthy homes. The average household income of someone who makes the minimum wage is $65,900/year. There is also a large portion of those people are older who have a full-time job and have a minimum wage part-time job. Basically, this minimum wage meme is a push by the Service Employees International Union.

heritage.org/jobs-and-labor/report/who-earns-the-minimum-wage-suburban-teenagers-not-single-parents

This argument is faulty for 2 reasons:

1. If the supposed number of people is so small, then any negative effects of raising the wage should be small, so why oppose it?

2. Heritage is deliberately misleading; it does not take into account the fact that the millions of people who earn just slightly above minimum wage, but who are in the same category of people. Their wages are set using the minimum wage as a baseline, and their problems are the same.

>heritage foundation
Jesus.

>It's ok to use children as psuedo-slave labor bc they're already debt slaves in college and dependent on their parents until their mid-20's.

Doesn't your argument imply that it's ok to fuck over workers if they're young? I thought we wanted to encourage young men to become independent and pay their way through college and start families?

This is your counter argument? What happens to the housing market when the older generation of home buyers begins to die off?