Sup Forums, I come to you for guidance. For as long as I can remember, I have been an atheist...

Sup Forums, I come to you for guidance. For as long as I can remember, I have been an atheist. I was raised in a secular home, and the concept of God has always been foreign to me. However, lately I have fallen on hard times and I don't think I'm capable of lifting myself up out of this pit without some outside guidance.

All I need to know is the best place to start. Can I just pick up a bible and go from there, using my own interpretations and hoping what I read will connect with me?

tl;dr I want to become a Christian, but I don't know where to start.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=f-wWBGo6a2w
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presbyterianism
m.youtube.com/watch?v=NKpIkOXgAmg
youtube.com/watch?v=RLUgZhLJCHk&list=PL0mcZSbIleZYwS1XSx2UVQM_W24zIphmU
youtube.com/JordanBPeterson
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Not visiting your local Imam for guidance
Get with the times faggot

just go for the high score you fucking faggot

Try going to a church instead of asking in a Chinese Cartoon forum

Why would you even want to try?

Jordan Peterson, his lectures on the bible.
>youtube.com/watch?v=f-wWBGo6a2w

Rip the sacred flesh
Sodomize the holy asshole
Drink the red blood of the mother of earth
Masturbation on the dead body of Christ
The king of Jews is dead
and so are the lies
Vomit on the host of Heaven
Masturbate on the throne of God
Break the seals of angels
Drink the sweet blood of Christ
Taste the flesh of the priest
Sodomize holy nuns
The king of Jews is a liar
The Heavens will burn
Dethrone the son of God
God is dead
Holyness is gone
Purity is gone
Prayers are burned
Covered in black shit
Rape the holy ghost
Unclean birth of Jesus Christ
Heaven will fall
Fuck the church
Fuck Christ
Fuck the Virgin
Fuck the gods of Heaven
Fuck the name of Jesus

start with the gospel of John

>read the bible
>sacrements of initiation
>church

Are you lazy or autistic?

That's one thing, I'd rather not start going to church. If at all possible I want to form my own ideas about Christ's teachings without too much outside assistance.

I respect Sup Forums as a board of peace, however, and know you guys are too divided between the branches of Christianity to sway me too far in one specific direction as I fear any local churches would.

There is a multitude of religions, you don't have to focus on Christianity, especially if you aren't religious at all.

There will be a special place in hell for you

Buy a bible (NKJV), star with New Testament. Read Gospel of John first. Then the other gospels. Then whatever books you want.

POLITICS

Anyway, (((Christianity))) is a Jewish ploy. Don't fall for it.

May I suggest Catholic Answers
They have an online question and answer show. Lots of material for those seeking answers. You can really learn a lot there

I agree with one of the other posters here. I'd start with the gospels of Matthew and John. Sermon on the Mount and the Bread of Life Discourse are very powerful.

That is true, although I am not a fan of Eastern religion, Judaism or Islam. On the other hand, I respect the things Christians have done to help create and maintain the civilization I live in.

Your kike god has no power over me

>not starting with genesis

What are you?

A white kid from Texas who wants to become a better person. Maybe religion can help me with that.

No, are you German, English, Irish...?

Start from The New Testament and pray.

Scottish, to the best of my knowledge.

If you are East Slavic, then perhaps the Orthodox Church would be best for you.

Perhaps Presbyterian, then.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presbyterianism

cringe
reddit is that way

Fag

No wonder you're a virgin for life

Interestingly, I believe there is a Presbyterian church in my town.

Also it's better to read every day.

Orthodox Church isnt for Slavs only, everybody is welcomed

go to a PCA church, not PCUSA

Why are Christcucks so easily triggered?

Um I would start with a church or a priest. Not talking to a bunch of autistic neckbeard virgins. But yeah read the Bible and listen to Wu Tang Clan song B.I.B.L.E. Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=NKpIkOXgAmg

it's embarassment by proxy

I wish you luck and will pray for you! I hope you find what you are looking for.

>christcuck

Thank you, my friend.

Watch Jordan Peterson's lectures on the Bible as a jumping off point. I would just read it cover to cover if I were you. Also, don't interpret it literally; that's just dumb.

Start in the Book of John

John 3:16

Orthodoxy is your way!

Consider the validity of what you're planning on doing when you have to choose to believe something.

You're never going to believe the fairy tales of the sandpeople in the same way you'll believe a physicist when he explains how atoms work.

If you have to choose to believe something, because you can not prove it to be true or have seen/experienced something so fantastical it makes you believe in the existence of some higher power, you'll only be fooling yourself.

>it's embarassment by proxy
Just like your jooish religion

this is so 2006
anyone with a kekistani flag should be purged

Read "Meditations" by Marcus Aurelius, then find your God(s).

As much as my inner fedora resists, once the times are truly tough you need something to believe into. Not a mere "probability" against solipsism. It will not suffice when the time comes. You need a concrete belief which no doubt can seep into, so you can fall onto it when you're tired of life.

Research Joseph Campbell and Jordan Peterson's work OP.

youtube.com/watch?v=RLUgZhLJCHk&list=PL0mcZSbIleZYwS1XSx2UVQM_W24zIphmU
youtube.com/watch?v=f-wWBGo6a2w

>this is so 2006
>implying truth withers with time

To follow up let us be clear about a few things;

The semitic stories of creation have their true roots in Sumeria, modern day Iraq. Thousands of years before the roman empire, nevertheless "jesus."

They were simply adopted and/or brought on as local tales by people in the region.

Christianity is infamous for adopting certain traits of it's conquered cultures or countries.

I.e Christmas as a lot already know, comes from the original germanic pagan belief of bringing a tree inside your home, and nurture it while all the trees outside die. Which would help the sun bring spring and summer back after winter.

It was a lot easier for the norse/germanics to accept the new religion when it was baked into things they already knew of or could identify with.

Not to mention egyptian obelisks being imported even to rome itself and various other examples of the religion adopting traits to make it easier to assimilate different cultures under one religion.

Lastly, stop believing in fairy tales. all semitic religions are on par with pagans in terms of it's validity.

>opinions are truth

OP, I suggest that you avoid the mind disease of western religion at all cost. Do not delude yourself with an old wold ideology.

Instead take psychedelics and study Buddhist philosophy. The great thing about it is that your knowledge of the divine reality will be experiential instead of faith based, and you can still be a Buddhist and an atheist at the same time. Buddhism is an approach to inquiry and experience, not actually a religion.

In conjunction with that, read the Stoic philosophers. Life will get better. You're stronger than you think.

All the best

>However, lately I have fallen on hard times and I don't think I'm capable of lifting myself up out of this pit without some outside guidance.
Then read a book or talk to another person about your problems, there is no need to radically alter your beliefs to solve a temporary problem.

Just read the Bible fellow burger (it is, after all, the basis of the Christian faith). Supplement your reading however you wish (especially to establish context, because it can be somewhat hard to grasp), but the Bible should be at the forefront.

It is utterly humiliating looking back at yourself as a Christian when you realise eventually how retarded it is and become atheist again. I speak from experience.

Yea... bro if you find any truth of mass religions that has been heavily corrupted and changed to gear the structuring of why payment to the church should be given. You will have your papers stolen or persecuted by the church. Fuck donate 20$ to the red cross and think for your self as good as any mass religion. Buddhist is not bad tho.

Start by reading about the evidence for it like pic related! Tektonics.org is a good place to start

>I have been an atheist.
But you've always been a liar. Now you're pretending to be an atheist?

Is this a trick question?

Read C. S. Lewis:
Mere Christianity
Miracles
Abolition of Man
Great Divorce
Watch Jordan B Peterson lectures (not always explicitly religious and very good):
youtube.com/JordanBPeterson
Read Basic Christianity by John Stott
Also, if you want, study the teachings of early church fathers like Ireneaus and Augustine.
When reading the Bible, I would suggest starting in the New Testament gospels.
Read Mark first, then John, and then continue into Acts.
Find a church with a good pastor or priest that has activities you can get involved in like sports or volunteering, and make some Christian friends.
Best of luck, and God bless you on your journey.
Feel free to send an e-mail if you have more questions:
[email protected]

If I were you, I'd read the book of Job first as strange as it sounds. It will show you the benefit of resounding faith. Even when he fell on tough times and doubted his own worth, he still fell to God for guidance. After that, I'd go for the New Testament books starting with Matthew.

I disagree with Job but do agree with Matthew. Following Matthew (and the other gospels) I like Hebrews; there the case is made to the early Jewish congregation for Jesus' Christship. Following Hebrews, the so-called Torah since the Mosaic law was nullified by the law of Christ but with the principles of Moses' law in mind.

Hey Christcucks, you have to accept more immigrants in order to be a good Christcuck, according to the bible.

>When the meme loops all the way around and reality is satire

Stupid fucking Christopaths don't understand that all that love and tolerance shit in their Kike Bible is meant to apply to their fellow ubermenschen Hebrews only. Gentile untermenschen are meant to be treated like shit. The Wholly Vile Bill, when read as intended, is the Kike's Mein Kampf.

Buy yourself a King James Bible. Don't bother with study versions with footnotes and annotations, or with modern translations. Read the Bible without distraction.

Start with one of the Gospels, John or Mark. Everyone should be able to go through Genesis 1 to Exodus 20, if you can't you're a pleb. Read Ecclesiastes and dip in and out of Proverbs.

Start going to church when you feel compelled to.

Start going to mass and pray to the Lord for guidance.

>I don't think I'm capable of lifting myself up out of this pit without some outside guidance

You are weak. Reading a book of jewish fairy tales isn't going to change that. It's going to make it worse. You need to toughen the fuck up and start solving your own problems.

>All I need to know is the best place to start. Can I just pick up a bible and go from there, using my own interpretations and hoping what I read will connect with me?
No, you can't just pick up a bible and understand it. You need experienced people to help you know what you're reading.

As an example, many libtards cite the passage about "easier for camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to get into heaven" as justification for attacking the wealthy. BUT immediately following that passage, everywhere it appears in the bible, are the apostles asking in astonishment, "if a rich man can't get into heaven, who possibly can?"

Back then, it was idiotically assumed rich people were automatically holy. Now it is assumed poor people are automatically holy. Jesus is saying that rich or poor doesn't matter at all. You will be judged for your choices and your lies.

See what I mean? You need guidance.

>No, you can't just pick up a bible and understand it. You need experienced people to help you know what you're reading

Wow. That's pure brainwashing. You have no self awareness whatsoever.

>Stupid fucking Christopaths don't understand that all that love and tolerance shit in their Kike Bible
No, it's YOU who does not understand that those passages are being misinterpreted by lying libfags that YOU are apparently stupid enough to believe.

If the bible were what you claim, Jesus would not have taken up a fucking whip and beat the assess of the kikes who were desecrating the temple by selling "holy trinkets" in it. He responded with violence. He beat the shit out of them and chased them away. Then he told his followers to sell their cloaks and buy swords.

Jesus kicked ass. Jesus made it quite clear that you should FIGHT evil, not tolerate it. The passage about turning the other cheek is only when you are utterly powerless and can resist only by revealing to everyone watching what a vile piece of shit is attacking you, keeping your dignity as he strikes you, as he robs you. When you have a whip within reach, Jesus showed you to stomp a mud hole in their asses!

You clearly don't understand jack shit about the bible!

>Wow. That's pure brainwashing. You have no self awareness whatsoever.
Great rebuttal. You sure showed me. I said that to learn math, you need a math teacher, and you're all like, "nuh-uh!"

I'm really feeling the burn, retard. I think I might cry.

It sounds like you're admitting that you need to delude yourself about some fairy tales in order to lift yourself out of a pit.

PROTIP: The truth does not depend on what makes you feel better

>PROTIP: The truth does not depend on what makes you feel better
Protip: He's looking for the truth, you asswipe. Let him!

>Hey Christcucks, you have to accept more immigrants in order to be a good Christcuck, according to the bible.
Show me the verse, faggot, and I'll show you why you're full of shit about it.

The number of anti-christian kike shills in this thread is disturbing to say the least.

Read the gospels. But use the easy to read version on bible gateway
It's got a plainness that rivals the Havamal in my opinion

I was also surprised at how redpilled on Jews it it.

>Jordan Peterson, his lectures on the bible.
>>youtube.com/watch?v=f-wWBGo6a2w
This! You need someone with experience to show you what it means or liars will take advantage of you and try to convince you it means something other than what it really does.

fall on your knees. beg for forgiveness. open your heart to God, be patient, be sincere, and he will fix your problem.
the true challenge is sticking with God during the good times

>I have fallen on hard times

OP, just tell us what your problem is. Are you unemployed? A drunk? Did you vote for Hillary? Spit it out.

read mark or matthew.

>Your kike god has no power over me
God is not a Kike, you fucking retard. "Liberals told me Jesus is an Ashkenazi and I believe them because I'm a fucking idiot."

Jesus said specifically that a time would come when people who were not really Israelites would claim to be the Israelites. Guess what, bitch! Those would be the hook-nosed sand-niggers we now call "Jews." Jesus was NOT one of them.

Peterson is a fake Christian applying Jewish psychofantasy to try and deconstruct the bible. Fuck off.

Why you can have the same values with out believing in bullshit that can not be proven. SAGE.

I wasn't a Christian when I read it. But I sure do like jesus

dont do what the jew says. start with one of the gospels in the new testament.

>Great rebuttal. You sure showed me

Always.

>to learn math, you need a math teacher

One, comparing your book of jewish fairy tales to mathematics is absurd. Two, of course you don't need a teacher to learn math. That's because math books aren't horribly written, like your Bible.

>Peterson is a fake Christian applying Jewish psychofantasy to try and deconstruct the bible. Fuck off.
It's not that simple and we both know it. At least he doesn't repeat only the soft, faggoty parts of the bible and skip over the shit where God commands us to crush these demonic mother fuckers poisoning our society!

>Two, of course you don't need a teacher to learn math.
This from a person who couldn't solve a differential equation if his life depended on it.

Thanks faggot. If we need any hints on fapping, we'll call you.

Start reading Genesis and just make your way through.
Spoiler: The Jews abandon and come back to God multiple times until they finally abandon him once and for all when Jesus comes along,

One of the largest boons of christianity is the community. Go to church

>Start reading Genesis and just make your way through.
But seriously, take the time to research what some of the more obscure passages mean. Just reading them, you can fall victim to the problems with translation and passage of time. Liberals take advantage of this uncertainty and spread false interpretations that serve their agenda.

In Genesis, for example, I assure you that God did not literally MAKE pharaoh refuse to set the Israelites free and then punish him for the refusal. It's a misinterpretation that happens because of the way they used idiomatic phrases back then. You need to bear in mind that the people who wrote the bible were not morons and such a contradiction, were it real, would have been perfectly obvious to them.

Works both ways...

I was very much evangelical Christian, into my mid twenties. I slowly became an atheist toward my mid thirties as life red-pilled me.

So, go ahead a try it, but don't expect any change or truths.

The change comes from (YOU)

being Christian has nothing to do with being a jew you cunt. anyway,I'd say just read your bible and ask for guidance its all you can do. oh and ask god to forgive your sins

>The change comes from (YOU)
Ironically the bible agrees with you.

Anyway, what's wrong with his looking?

Don't read the OT before Origins of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind. I'd start with John or any book in the Gospel.

Also, read up on how the Bible came to be; as in who decided which books are put into the bible... and which ones never made it.

Come to grips with that, and you're ahead of most of the church goers.

Understand distances to stars via light-years, and you'll doubt the whole thing.

Enjoy!

Jews know their messiah is not a divine being. Their bible says so. Christianity is just another scheme by jews, which are all inherently non-believers because they only worship money, which is no coincidence, all the christian church is about.

>This from a person who couldn't solve a differential

That's funny coming from a retard that doesn't even know how to read. Do you start reading all books in the second half, or just your (((Bible)))?

>faggot. If we need any hints on fapping

You Bible thumpers always have to make everything so gay.

Christianity
Judaism
Islam

All of these are the Abrahamic religions, which originated from... Abraham

Start with the New Testament, then with the Old when you've understood about the "Synagogue of Satan" and "the killing of Prophets" parts.