What's an alternative to all this?

What's an alternative to all this?

I still can't help but think this is extremely inefficient and kinda ridiculous.

Would it be better if those who don't need these cars rode bikes or rode public trans? Or if there were self-driving vehicles?

Environment aside, by the way. I'm just really focused on the efficiency of how most of us are transporting ourselves.

And there is the question of privacy. You can't take the bus and sit around all those people, and plan your way around bus routes, and deal with the amount of time that is being sucked out of your life because of it.

Other urls found in this thread:

usnews.com/opinion/articles/2013/05/10/15-ways-google-monitors-you
youtube.com/watch?v=u5V_VzRrSBI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I get even more bothered if it's a huge SUV, one person in it, stuck in traffic, lives close enough to ride their bike home. I think about how much gas is wasted and I also think about the money that's wasted and how this inevitably hurts someone else.

It's kinda like living next to a railroad station, but these rails are everywhere and they're constantly in use.

And this makes me think about how overpopulation will affect all this. India and China clearly cannot handle their current population right now and their roads are a disaster. You can't just keep making roads wider and wider.

What's the future looking like?

Maybe come post a thread when you have a solution instead of autistic complaints like a small child

Yes, it does look horribly inefficient but everybody has a different destination and a different reason to be out on the road.

If you've ever had a job, you'd know why. It takes forever to commute to work or run errands on a bus, train or bicycle or distances longer than a few kms. Shit is horrible. People have places to be and need to get there in a timely manner.

In Europe it's slightly more useful to take mass transportion, but even then your schedule and routine revolve around the bus or the train. With a car you can come and go as you please and it's worth the money.

>Stop starting a discussion
>Post a solution to the world's transportation problems

If I was actually autistic maybe I could help you out.

Europe's towns are also planned a lot differently than most of ours.

I just think it's a huge mindbreak if someone could figure out individual transport without the need of all this.

>If you've ever had a job

What would I expect from Sup Forums other than one person to call me autistic and another one to claim I have no job for discussing transportation issues?

>And there is the question of privacy. You can't take the bus and sit around all those people, and plan your way around bus routes, and deal with the amount of time that is being sucked out of your life because of it.

beta faggot who gets nervous around other people, doesn't know how to use google maps to plan a route, and doesn't realize he can bring a laptop with him to be productive on a commute instead of being busy driving

in undergrad i did nearly all my studying on public transportation. met and hooked up with an asian qt businesswoman who was just there for the week as well.

that being said if your public transportation is full of certain groups of people, it isn't safe and you should move somewhere else.

Allows white burgers and dindus and spics to live in the same country.
If everyone had to live together in European style cities the white people would have genocided dindus long ago.
There is no alternative

Public transportation is wonderful if it can work for someone. In other areas, especially suburbs, they're not always going to be as consistent or reliable. Google Maps sure makes it easy to walk, bike, or take public transportation anywhere, but you will still have that moment where you need to go somewhere and the only route available is 2 hours before or after your appointment.

Also there's nothing beta about not wanting to sit on a filthy bus, but that's not really my complaint. I'd happily hop on the bus if it was reliable for me. For you, yeah, go right the fuck ahead, you probably work from a computer so you can remain productive even on the way to your destination. Some people live different lives than you.

>Step into a bus
>see all different races and age groups sitting together
>this is what a multiculturalism and globalism feels like

The only solution is self driving cars. Humans cause pic related. If humans knew how to drive effectively, the highways are designed to work extremely well. Every day I see you morons starting it
>cruising along at 50
>ah, getting across the entire city in just a few minutes, this is fast enough
>here comes a few absolute cocksuckers trying to get 20 mph faster than everyone else to save 35 seconds on their 5 mile trip
>oops, cars in the way, gotta brake
>oops, bend in the road, brake brake brake
>traffic snake occurs, highway becomes jammed for hours

Maybe we could hybridize cars to just prevent this behavior. If cars stay spaced out no matter what, then you can't have traffic jams

t. larper prime

The alternative is to dump a lot more money and research into Nuclear Fusion then electric cars can run for practically free.

Buses and trains and bicycles are practical in some places. Ride your bike, throw it on the bus's rack or take it on the train with you, simple. Sometimes it's quicker than driving a car if traffic is shitty, since you can pop curbs and ride through parking lots and shit on a bicycle.

Thing is, used cars are dirt cheap, fuel and insurance are dirt cheap, US cities are designed around the automobile and it usually doesn't make a lot of sense to use mass transit, or ride a bicycle. With a car you can at least buy more groceries than you can fit in a backpack.

No way to fix the USA without making the streets considerably safer so you can walk after work without be robbed or raped to death. Then, probably demolishing half the suburbs and completely rewriting the zoning laws.

I'd say make legislation to encourage motorcycles. Lane-splitting, curb-popping, ect. That'd at least make the roads less congested and parking would be ample and you can kinda strap groceries and shit to a motorcycle.

It takes me an hour alone to get to work via car. There's no train stop by my work place. No bus route either.

What now?

>Kinda ridiculous
How?
What exactly makes this more ridiculous than people biking to work or taking trains?

I like self driving cars and if they start to gain popularity I will definitely fight against any attempt to put police tracking in all vehicles.

>No way to fix the USA without making the streets considerably safer so you can walk after work without be robbed or raped to death. Then, probably demolishing half the suburbs and completely rewriting the zoning laws.

So essentially cars are kinda like a barrier from the dangers of living in the US? That makes it sound really fucking sad if we're at that point.

Would the only alternative really be self driving cars and improved public trans? Where instead of eliminating car+road system, it's just used less?

Ridiculous in a big picture way, definitely am not saying it's ridiculous to drive to work. Maybe I shouldn't have said anything is ridiculous..

But, are YOU saying that biking to work is ridiculous?

I have a bike that I can ride to the store or I can just take my car and it's 5 minutes.

How would we get around 200 years from now, realistically?

Cars could be the new horse, where it's hundreds and hundreds of years of the same mode of transport, but I have a feeling we're moving a little too fast to have that happen again. I don't know where, though..

I'm not sitting on public transportation next to niggers and disabled people

>walk into bus station
>homeless person in bathroom smells like a skunk
>homeless person stealing paper towels
>dindus all around asking for money
>see everyone clutching purses and acting nervous, no eye contact is made
>This is what multiculturalism feels like

Self-driving cars will emerge as the solution. All the tech companies are aggressively competing to be first to market.

The future of transport is the 'Uber Model.' Instead of owning your own car, you will pull out your smart phone, tap a button, and a self driving pod will appear at the curb within minutes.

It's an economic vascular system, it does not need to be pretty or efficient, just functional.

Self-driving cars will never happen unless there are huge changes to the tort legal system and road rules in the states. An AI isn't going to be infallible and as a machine it can have errors and they'd have costs associated with owning them. The law now is 'okay' with self-driving cars but the driver is responsible if the AI runs over a pedestrian or rear-ends someone because a bug got splattered over some sensor. Thing is drivers are not going to be paying attention to the road if they bought some expensive system to drive it for them. So either they'd be putting soccer moms and Staceys in jail for manslaughter or they'd have to be okay with AIs occasionally killing people.

They don't even automate trains or subways and those run on rails at a set schedule. It's not going to happen, because of insurance and liability issues.

If people want to use cars less, they can ride a bicycle, it's safer than walking and can take an Uber if they need to run some errand. It's situational, though and that requires you live in a city where shit is accessible. In the suburbs this is basically impossible.

Also the gay part is that it's technically illegal to ride a bicycle on the side-walk in the USA. Mostly because drivers don't expect fast moving traffic on the sidewalk and will pull out in front of them without looking. Too few bike trails and personal safety, don't ride a bicycle trail at night especially where it goes under a bridge. Again, the USA is designed around cars.

Centralisation causes shit like this and smog.

If you work in IT, or really any job where it's just you and a computer, you should be teleworking full-time. Not that hard for a company to set up VPN.

In 200 years, the future will probably look like South Africa looks now, realistically.

Optimistically, you'd have a tremendous surveillance/ police state, people live in arcologies? or other dense urban areas, only rural people and the upper-class have automobiles. Everyone else will ride taxi, a low-powered electric motorcycle or bicycle, take the bus, ride a train, ect. It'll occur naturally as gas prices increase and the high capital costs of alternatives prices people out of personally owned cars.

this is the actual solution. 80% of people on the roads sit in an office infront of a computer, you can do this at home.

Self driving cars are a disaster, they don't do half of what people use their cars for and the fact that places like plebbit applaud their use in one breath and decry government survellience in the other baffles me - google data mining is bad but lets let them track and define where we fucking travel?

If public transport wasnt so shitty in my country then traffic on the roads would be non existent but as usual the (((government))) wont make an actual solution, they'll just let which ever technology firm gives them the biggest kickback implement some futuristic nightmare.

now i know how gun owners feel about the gun control and "what about muh chilluns"

kill young people who drive prius and old people who drive BMW

fuck you, you worst pirate ever
Msot people don't live close enough to work or other places, today's public transport is shit and inconvenience and you have to sit next to the lowest kind of people/subhumane.
It's much slower and you have to wait in the stop until you transportation arrives, wait on other stops and etc.
in future when we will have better and more flexible public transportation we can think about to abandon the cars

suvs and big cars are kind of waste, I agree.
motorcycle and scooters are alright

In a Dystopia world you have only Public Transport.

>But, are YOU saying that biking to work is ridiculous?
More often than not, yes.
Not everyone is 12 year old working a paper route.

The travel of humans is stupid. We should die within a few yards of where we were born. Medieval times were better in this regard: you knew everyone and everyone knew you.

>I get even more bothered if it's a huge SUV, one person in it, stuck in traffic, lives close enough to ride their bike home.
how would you know. How many people do you know this is their real life situation, and weather isn't a persistent issue? You fucking self-righteous asshole.

t. 1 hour bus commuter because work pays for it in exchange for parking space so I save $1200 a year in gas and car wear-n-tear despite owning a car

A

>I'd say make legislation to encourage motorcycles. Lane-splitting, curb-popping, ect
I can't fucking stand motorcycles. People say most car/bike collisions are the result of the car's driver not paying attention, but most bikers drive like maniacs. Whose fault is it really if the biker came out of nowhere going 80 in a 35mph residential area and trying to pass on the right on a corner? Bikes are pretty impractical too, no cargo capacity, no insulation from the elements (it gets COLD in many parts of the US), low passenger capacity. Cars as they stand are very efficient, if anything I think the best improvements lie in self driving cars and new fuels. It really is past time someone figured out how to make petroleum from corn considering how much we subsidize it, and it would solve our energy dependence on a bunch of ass backward terrorists who hate us.
tldr fuck bikers and fuck Saudi Arabia, corn powered self driving cars now

no one cares about your wheaty heritage, you gruel-sipping inbred.

Shut it, bike cunt. Roads are only a problem because commies are in charge of them, mandating cost/benefit misalignment and tragedy of the commons.

FEE FOR SERVICE. Institute usage based pricing with surge, and these problem will go away in a decade. Nobody needs to drive 2 hours to sit at a desk.

Efficiency seems important though. Efficiency in terms of not having a ton of smog like the Chinese, or wasting money if an alternative saves money. Money is probably the best non-environmental reason to support shoving french fry oil in your Volvo, for example, but of course you probably don't drive pieces of shit like Volvo.

Having a human driver that still pays attention will help with that, though. The current self-driving vehicles seem to do just fine. Honestly an AI on the road can be dumb as hell, it doesn't take that much to driver better than a person and we already are essentially robots in the way we drive. I'm not saying a self driving car can't handle an unpaved road with horses on it, but still.. cars are predictable

Ethanol isn't energy efficient and the USA produces more oil then it uses now, because fracking+shale. It probably won't be that way in 10-15 years, but Tesla is supposed to give us all supercars powered by the sun or someshit, right?

Motorcycles are awesome, who cares if they ride crazy? They'd only get themselves killed. It usually is stacey on her cellphone that gets bikers killed. I've yet to hear of somebody in a car being killed by a collision with a motorcycle.

I can strap an 80lb duffel to my motorcycle and more shit in a backpack and I get 60 mph/gal and it's not boring as fuck like driving a car and I haven't killed myself one time.

>Self driving cars are a disaster, they don't do half of what people use their cars for and the fact that places like plebbit applaud their use in one breath and decry government survellience in the other baffles me - google data mining is bad but lets let them track and define where we fucking travel?

You don't understand self driving cars. You can support self driving cars and fight to the death to keep tracking systems out. There's nothing hypocritical about it.

The only reason they would ever mean the same thing is if faggots like you equate "self driving cars" to tracking, and people just accept it that way. You want to normalize it? That's what you're doing. The kind of faggot who cries "normies" and "plebbit" to anything that's remotely new.

I just don't understand how you can read my post and misread that:

1. I'm not encouraging everyone to switch to public trans
2. I'm trying to have a discussion about the future of transportation in general

>bicycles are ridiculous and for 12 year olds

If I had a decent bike I could easily take my ass to work everyday on it. I know someone who lives nearby and takes the same routes. The only reason anyone would ride a bicycle is because they're able to..

It honestly sounds like you think someone is demanding you ride a bicycle just because they're in support of it. Nobody is ripping you out your car. You're safe kiddo.

country-wide bullet trains would substantially increase our productivity and efficiency. It would also help fight poverty in rural areas as those people could just get on a fast train to get to their job in the city in 20-30 minutes instead of having to drive for hours.

I don't understand how you can read my post and consider me a "bike cunt".

Maybe the broken mountain bike I had when I was 14 makes me one. I don't think I said anything about that. Did I talk about "bicycle rights" too? Holy shit did a bikecunt steal your girlfriend? You're so pissed off that you read "bike "you immediately think back to it. I'll put a trigger warning next time.

>You don't understand self driving cars. You can support self driving cars and fight to the death to keep tracking systems out. There's nothing hypocritical about it.

Please explain to me how a system that allows you to "call up" a car ala Uber/Swift etc can work without the system knowing where the car is at the time?

Also can you include how analytics (financials, how much is said car costing and earning etc) would work without the car recording where it has been.

tracking and logging systems are part and parcel of how a self driving car works unless they're secretly powered by fucking brains in jars or something.

Self-driving cars can only really augment a driver. That driver still has to focus on the road, not on their smartphone, which is what kills the whole idea. You are right, people drive on autopilot but once the car adequately drives it'self they'll completely ignore the road and whatever, start working on spreadsheets on their laptop.

It's not the technology that's the issue, it's the legal system the technology will never be perfect but even if AI drives as good as an alert professional driver, still a chance it will fuck up and crash. So even if accident rates dropped in half, from 20k to 10k a month, you'd have 10k lawsuits on google every month, not 10k thank-you notes. The government would have to step in and make AI faultless and in our tort system, people would never accept that.

Cabs are significantly different, and as you know there's going to be personal self driving vehicles too. It's not a cab, it doesn't need to report back home to tell them that someone isn't stealing their vehicle (plenty of services already do something similar).

What a dumb comparison.

So far, even in these very early stages, they have been doing well. No accidents that weren't a fault of a human from what I've seen. For the rare chance it makes a mistake, I think it'll be a lot less worse than a mistake a human makes. There's so many security features in a self driving vehicle, too. A good one is slowing down and pulling over if someone falls asleep.

You're going to see very refined systems on the roads, most people who obey and pay attention to the roads, and then a small percentage who abuses it a little too much to do things in the backseat (which then the car will probably pull over and slow down, and if not the mistakes it makes will likely not be catastrophic while it's own security features does a pretty good job to ensure it doesn't get worse).

It's kinda weird with all of this it's still "well computers are not 100% perfect, so let's put a fallible person behind the wheel". I don't think your fears will come true.

Also, only a little shit would bash self-driving cars because of tracking features that aren't needed. I mean I know, I know, it takes a little bit of work to hold more than one opinion in your head: "I like self driving cars" + "I don't like tracking features" + "I want self driving cars to be safe"

If you're a toddler you can just continue with this tirade of "bad, bad, bad, bad bad"

>Also, only a little shit would bash self-driving cars because of tracking features that aren't needed. I mean I know, I know, it takes a little bit of work to hold more than one opinion in your head: "I like self driving cars" + "I don't like tracking features" + "I want self driving cars to be safe"
>If you're a toddler you can just continue with this tirade of "bad, bad, bad, bad bad"
>ONLY LITTLE BABBY DISAGREE WITH MIGHTY CORPORATE MOBILE

ok then fucko, riddle me this. Google, one of the forefront companies devolping the self driving car and have infact successfully implemented prototypes develop a self driving car are also one of the most notorious companies for tracking and monitoring users of their services.

usnews.com/opinion/articles/2013/05/10/15-ways-google-monitors-you

thats 15 services that google offer that track their users. Now you're telling me that despite all this, despite the ENORMOUS amount of survellience potential tracking self drive journeys ("user here has ordered a car to a mosque and then a hardware store, he's probably a terrorist"), these cars will simply "forget" where they've been? I mean i know you're going to scream and cry that i'm a baby or whatever but i am genuinly amazed you have so much faith in this technology to respect any form of privacy.

Also yes i'm aware that keeping a smartphone in your pocket with location services on does the same job but i can still opt out of that by switching it off or buying a fucking 3310 or something.

while we're at it, lets talk about how useless they are to anyone that isnt getting one from their city apartment to starbucks:

>Billy joel and his cousinwife want to take their 15 assault rifles and an entire hog down to the lakes for a BBQ with their extended family/fuckbuddies but their new F150 with self-drive refuses to drive down the muddy track as it's not on google maps

>user is out shopping and sees a great deal on a new table at a thrift shop. He'd put it in his new self driving car but the trunk won't close fully - not a problem, just tie it down with ropes like everyone else does! nope, sensor detects the trunk is open, car wont move

>Tyrese lives in the projects where crime is rife. He wants to drive over to Mikes to fuck his wife for him but the analytics company that look after the car network have black(lol)listed his location as people keep fucking with the cars in the area.

>user lives in the lake district and decides to take his new self driving honda civic out. Half way down the Wrynott pass the car loses signal (good luck getting a mobile signal in the lake district FYI) and it grinds to a halt. user gets out to try and find help and is never seen again

>user is disabled and bound to a wheelchair. None of these cars i've seen can fit a wheelchair in them

>user is old as fuck and lives in a big house with a long driveway, which again isnt on google maps. See the first example

etc etc etc.

also, what will happen to motorbikes? truck drivers/cab drives/limo drivers jobs? what happens when the network goes down? (don't say it wont you deluded idiot, see any major technology company for network outage examples)

why not just spend the money making busses and trains better and subsidising cabs so people who have a car out of nessicity and hate driving have another choice? Why pretend the entire project is anything other than a mix of tech wankery and loss of freedom?

I've read about self-driving cars getting in accidents. One gently rear-ended a car at the light for no apparent reason. It's not the technology that's the problem. It may very well be that AI is much safer than an average driver.

The problem is that the legal system and culture isn't prepared to deal with it. The companies that make them will get sued, or people won't buy them because they are liable if the AI, in some rare error, wrecks somebody.

I'm just not really convinced it'll take off like people think, or that they'll be much better than human drivers. I think the first roll-out of self-driving cars will probably end up getting half-a-dozen rich people in luxury cars killed and the backlash will kill the idea for a while longer, because they would not be 100% perfectly flawless under all conditions which is what dumb ass people would expect from them.

Im gonna print money and take 50% of your income, now compete with me for best options to travel.

large self flying passenger drones

Op. Lol bikes.

elon musk's tunnels? youtube.com/watch?v=u5V_VzRrSBI

Yeah that shit freaks normal investors out. Their stock has been trading flat and now in freefall since that shitty video was released and he keeps posting drunk/bak3d twitter posts. Musk is on some serious pharma right now.

Wait until the guy starts buying second-hand boring machines for delivery.

Stringent driver education and driving testing classes.

Traffic wouldn't be as much of a problem if you could take the absolute worst 5% of drivers and revoke their licenses via actual testing. You barely need to know how to drive in order to get a drivers license in Murica. In some states you don't even need to be a fucking citizen. Do you have any fucking idea what that means?

The fucking IQ normal curve median for drivers is probably around 90 if not lower. If you can shift the curve rightward to 100 IQ and higher, I can absolutely guarantee you that major traffic jams would be freak occurrences.

It's simple science and human biology
>intelligent people have better impulse control
>More intelligent people (1 SD above median) have superior reflexes

Highways are the best representation of why socialism and communism fails. It a perfect demonstration of how the lowest common denominator ie a retarded individual can drag down thousands of people around him. So the less retards and sub 100 IQ morons the government allows on the streets, the better. If you really want to test this just google highway incidents and fatality rates for your metropolitan area. You will indubitably find that higher income areas (wealth ~ intelligence) have less accidents and traffick fatalities compared to shit income areas.

>Would it be better if those who don't need these cars rode bikes

That makes you a bike cunt. And a disgusting Communist piece of shit as well.

I own all that I own. Your permission or approval is unrequited. And as such, absolutely no explanation of need is necessary.

I have a car because I want one and can afford it. Those facts alone are sufficient you flocking commie bike cunt.

Make Walking Great Again

This wouldn't be an issue unless it was a single lane or you were driving in the left most lane.

Elder God tier: High speed trains in a homogeneous (non-black) society, 100% walking and biking in a semi-rural setting with tight communities

God tier: trains + bikes + walking within city limits, no cars

Okay tier: shit ton of highways and freeways, 1 car per person, walking and biking unheard of

absolutely shit tier: buses + cars, only poor people (blacks) on buses