Why do republicans hate clean energy so much?

Why do republicans hate clean energy so much?

Coal is dead, get over it

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Gorgonio_Pass_Wind_Farm
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belews_Creek_Power_Station
theguardian.com/environment/2012/aug/07/china-rare-earth-village-pollution
brookings.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Net-Benefits-Final.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Curious, how many rare earth metals does it take to make Solar Panels or how much land does Wind Turbines take up?

>coal is basically outlawed and yet solar still struggles to compete
Really ignites them synapses.

>solar power
>clean
my sides.
Just check how those things are made.

Why do Democrats hate fossil fuels so much?

Solar is dead, get over it

>Wind turbines

Why do governments keep funding that shit? I can't fathom why they'd install these enormous turbines for ~8 MW a few hours a day, if they're lucky. Not to mention the costs (maintenance/installation) per watt, wind doesn't correlate with peak energy demand.

It's almost as if certain clean energy lobbyists are making them agree to every stupid money maker they come up with.

>jobs
>jobs
>jobs
>radiation
>jobs

EROEI

Wind & PV would have to operate perfectly for decades to offset manufacturing throughputs

Well to them, they see large plains and think that more Turbines to the grid produces more power.

The problem with that is that Solar and Wind energy generation is very inefficient now. They need to spend more time on R&D rather than actually producing more of those things.

Those fields of energy can be viable, but not now, it will take time to develop and refine those fields of energy production.

I dont hate clean energy, i think that companies will use the most efficient way of getting energy and it is unethical for the government to force companies to use a less efficient method based on shoddo politicized science.

Green energy is unreliable, inefficient and not that green after all. Solar panels aren't very safe to make.

Why do democrats hate clean nuclear energy so much?

Solar is dead, get over it.

>solar is dead
When was the last time you went outside?

>coal is dead, despite being the source of 60 % of our electrical power.
yeah okay buddy, and the majority of other source is hydro, and nuclear, in that order. Your wind chimes and sunshine don't even make a dent in our energy needs.

The problem for both liberals and conservatives is that alternative energy is not efficient enough yet to sustain the current population of the world, or even 1/4 of the current world population.

Personally? I'm ready for a mass death, but I know I am in the minority here.

I went outside this morning, and didn't see a single fucking solar panel anywhere.

they don't

t. Shale revolution go google it urself

When you understand this one, you will understand why solar power and wind is trash

The problem is people refuse to wear condoms. Motivating people to have kids (mothers/Father's Day propaganda) doesn't help but companies that exploit those days with their sales don't give a shit about the long term effects of overpopulation.

Why do democrats hate cheap and clean, job creating coal?

>132233622

Degenerate coal burners

Quality of jobs is more important than quantity.

Not only is coal not dead coal exports up drastically, and a few mines have reopened we'll be building a solar powered wall almost done entirely within the private sector alone. SHARIABLUE BTFO!!!

>Quality of jobs is more important than quantity.
Right, but coal creates neither.
If you'd ever compare a life expectancy map with an oil and coal map you'd know. I'd like to live past 52, thanks.

But to a liberal a quality job is sitting in an office not actually producing anything of value and thinking the economy can continue that way. Which is actually hell on earth to an actual man.

Sup Forums is coal, faggot

Solar gets huge subsidies and it still sucks in spite of massive scale installations. Our energy company is raising their rates again too - what bullshit

I don't remember the faggot liberals proposing a solar wall from sea to shining sea...?

Coal gets way more subsidies than solar every year. Which industry do you really think has more lobbyists? The free market solution would be to eliminate all the subsidies for Fossil Fuels.

>Solar isn't as effective as fossil fuels
>Solar systems are more pollutant than fossil fuels
>and lastly you're a dumbass faggot that doesn't study and regurgitates the bullshit snake oil musk made you suck out of his dick

because it sounds gay

nuclear power, now that's alpha

In the right locations wind power is incredibly profitable, like in valley openings. The wind blows 10x harder than normal, and basically nonstop.

You can basically think of setups like that as aeroelectric dams, since they work on the same principles as hydroelectric dams to a certain extent.

This is also where the majority of wind power is set up, and why there aren't turbines scattered across the desert everywhere. They put them in where it makes sense, for the most part, with only a few fucking morons placing them elsewhere.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Gorgonio_Pass_Wind_Farm

Note the map linked (same farm) shows how this setup leads right into a bunch of mountains, between a valley and a canyon.

When it's economically competitive without subsidies then I'd have no problem.
But fuck subsidies.

God you got my dick so hard

You don't need solar power to run a wall. You don't need any fucking power.

Problem is, even hydro is met by insane leftists determined to stop it because of the "environmental changes" that building dams would cause.

Wind power? Chops up birds, and in California, chops up endangered species. Not to mention the rich leftists there and in Cape Cod, don't want to look at wind turbines and fight those too.

The issue is, leftists think electricity comes out of the wall, so they're fine with advocating shutting down sources.

Solar and wind are a joke, biofuel and hydro are the way to go because they actually can produce

Hydro is basically tapped out already. You can only build so high of a dam before you stop getting any energy output.

I'm a-ok with building dams, but they can't satisfy the majority of our power.

Biofuel is a fucking meme. It barely produces any power compared to what is put in, and only makes sense as a reclamation project. Landfill based power is a good idea, but again can't meet all your needs.

Nuclear is the shit.

Do the calcs on how many solar panels you would need to power an arc reactor to make steel to form a bridge beam then go fuck yourself and let American steel use coke coal for smelting from ore.

I know some places even charge you for saving money using them.

lmao, there's only one place in the world where there's too many babies and it's not because they're watching Mother's Day commercials on TV

Even if renewables were more efficient... there is still massive storage problems.

A new study dropped a week or two ago that it is impossible for renewables to replace fossil fuels. I think by the science academy. Am looking for.link... of course the fags at Google burry it.

Only white people care about the environment.

wind turbines need to be located in areas where you have year round wind currents - you know the same ones the birds use to fucking migrate?

Solar panels are far far from green - who isn't aware of this in 2017? not to mention solar is a "sunny day" energy source. You still need the same size power plants you would need without them.

Just stupid lies for the lefties

If there is profit and so much clean energy to exploit, how come the people you claim to be rich and greedy aren't flocking to be rich and greedy?

I don't mind if we put solar in my calculator. But is it really profitable for anyone in the first place?

Maybe because building solar panels against a wall completely gimps their efficiency since it will be in shade half the time?

>Why do republicans hate clean energy so much?
Straw man argument.

>how come the people you claim to be rich and greedy aren't flocking to be rich and greedy?

Because of the insane startup costs. More risk for less reward. It's easier to just give it a few years and then copy the chinese once this shit gets more efficient.

I mean fuck's sake, plenty of companies aren't messing with fiber or self driving cars, but that shit is gonna be everywhere in a few years.

The ground floor is not always the most profitable place to be and even when it is, not everyone can afford to invest at that level.

True, I forgot about nuclear but the radioactive waste is pretty bad because you can't easily get rid of it.

>I mean fuck's sake, plenty of companies aren't messing with fiber or self driving cars, but that shit is gonna be everywhere in a few years.
We need an improved biking traffic system but there's too many lazy fucks that don't ride bikes and drive a mile to work.

>We need an improved biking traffic system but there's too many lazy fucks that don't ride bikes and drive a mile to work.
Take a trip to Portland and Seattle, you will retract this statement afterwords.

I see solar everywhere out here in the rural areas, from businesses to homes.

I have a small 1200 Watt setup myself for the past 5 years, it's worth every penny thus far. Keeps the sump pump running in bad weather so my basement doesn't flood out and I can run my living room with the work pc right on it all the time without it draining the batteries much.

Solar has it's places for the right applications.

You can store the waste at the nuclear power plant. Or you could refine it and reuse it.

I really cannot understand the tribalism around the oil. just like immigration is a trial dogma among leftists, oil is tribal dogma among cons. did-you-know-fun-fact: murrican govt still gives more money in subsidies to fatties in big oil. but ancaps will go all-in in defense of large oil companies because of their fact illiteracy

come on, clean enery benefits all of us. the temperatured, changing sea currents and lung sickness is not going to ask us for political opinions

>makes claim smugly
>No sources cited
>Flag
Well i'm sure you can have a rational response here

solar power requires massive battery banks

plus they cost a shit ton to make

most people here aren't actually against cleaner forms of energy; but currently all the options are shit (for a massive country)

look up rare earth metal mining to see how they obtain what you need a whole lot of for solar. Remember that strip mining and massive pollution plus the impacts of transportation and manufacturing every time you look at one of those "green" solar panels.

Be informed

thorium reactors can't make bombs or be used to consume materials from old ones, but they could be an alternative power supply for the masses.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belews_Creek_Power_Station

>Boilers still in use built in 1975
>The plant produces 2200MW
>Ranked most efficient in United States
>Polution levels massively reduced over time

Yeah sorry, you're not going to get the power output of this single plant with renewables unless you dot a 5000km2 land area with solar or wind turbines.

solar is great

Because of jobs that aren't coming back. The mining industry is heavily automated, digging rocks out of the ground isnt a valuable profession like it used to be.

even coal miners hate coal - but Trump wants to keep them in the mine.

because they would rather work in a coal mine to support themselves and a family than be meth cooking rednecks with no life plans

theguardian.com/environment/2012/aug/07/china-rare-earth-village-pollution

Keep saying how clean it is

I'm totally for installing a massive solar plant in the form of a southern border wall. Take that coal industry!

I live in Washington state and we have the cheapest electricity rates in the United States. Mostly because we have a shitload of wind turbines in the unpopulated desert/plain areas

What exactly is "clean" about the skin-cancer-inducing, global-warming-driving, being-nothing-else-than-a-giant-fusion-reaction-like-the-hydrogen-bomb sun?

elaborate?

Wut?
>checks the rotation of the earth
>hasn't changed
Whew! I was worried that the poles shifted 90 degrees there for a moment. Good thing this idiot is full of shit or we'd all be fucked.

>"...adjusting U.S. solar and wind capacity factors to take account of lack of reliability, we estimate that it would take 7.30 MW of solar capacity, costing roughly four times as much per MW to produce the same electrical output with the same degree of reliability as a baseload gas combined cycle plant. It requires an investment of approximately $29 million in utility-scale solar capacity to produce the same output with the same reliability as a $1 million investment in gas combined cycle.....Wind plants are far more economical in reducing emissions than solar plants, but much less economical than hydro, nuclear and gas combined cycle plants. Wind plants can operate at a capacity factor of 30 percent or more and cost about twice as much per MW to build as a gas combined cycle plant. Taking account of the lack of wind reliability, it takes an investment of approximately $10 million in wind plants to produce the same amount of electricity with the same reliability as a $1 million investment in gas combined cycle plants......increasing regulation by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency of mercury, sulfur dioxide and nitrous oxide emissions, waste water disposal, and ash disposal will increase the cost of operating coal plants. This regulation, combined with direct regulation of carbon dioxide emissions from new and existing coalfired plants, as proposed or contemplated by the EPA, can have some of the same effects as an internalized carbon price."

They write how much more expensive it is right now but are still somehow pro carbon tax. That part is an opinion however, and my opinion is that it is retarded to force it right now.

brookings.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Net-Benefits-Final.pdf

>clean energy

Ha ha! That "clean energy" source was made in China where they use dirty coal generators with no pollution standards or CO2 scrubbers. The 15 biggest cargo ships produce more sulfur oxide pollutants than all the cars in the world (because they run on completely different fuels). The panels or wind turbines were subsidized (billions of taxpayer money) and probably have a short life-span due to Chinese quality control.

>leftists think electricity comes out of the wall
Then they should have no problems with supporting Trump's solar panel border wall.

The sun is the reason you're alive so watch your tone

Solar is a negative double whammy to the economy though, the best priced stuff isn't even made in the states.

Only the wealthy can afford the permanent off grid type systems. And that means they got subsidies from obmabinladen to off set their cost.
Solar isn't cost effective or high output unless done BIG....and even then it's all projected in years into the future on how much its saving your power bill.

I bet you live for situations where you can come in a whiteknight for a girl only for you to hear her say, "i have a boyfriend" . the joke's on her you think to yourself and you flap in the bathroom to the thought of you getting to watch them fuck