Why am I the only one seeing this?

If ice expands H20 and the majority of ice caps are underwater, logically we can deduct that if all of the ice on the globe melted the ocean would not flood it would retract in size

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/aOCqHRpQh88
nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2013/09/rising-seas-ice-melt-new-shoreline-maps/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

the ice age disagrees

The Antarctic is a rocky plateau covered in ice. There is enough there to drown the world.

>What is the density anomaly of water?

You are forgetting that the rest of the seas will also expand when the globe gets warmer.

Also the ice below the water will not melt. For obvious reasons the ice above the water will melt first.

You're assuming there are ice caps to melt in the first place

To explain, the ice isn't in the water. It's on the rocks. Not to mention below the ice is enough methane gas to basically make Global Warming very very real (assuming you don't yet believe it).

Stop spreading disinformation, (((shill)))

If the methane escapes rapidly, it will super heat the water around the antarctic to tropical levels. It will cause a superstorm. I watched a lot of Discovery channel when I was a kid. That channel loves super storms.

I've seen it predicted that the ice is heavy and pushing down on the continent measurably, and were the ice to all melt and recede away, the pressure removed, the continent would push up slightly, which would displace more water.

No idea how valid that was.

The only thing that effects sea levels are tectonic upthrusts on the sea floor. The slab pull theory. Sea ice melting causes no change in sea levels for obvious reasons. Continental ice is so heavy on places like Antarctica that it compresses the continent. The mile thick ice sheets cause an increase in density that actually sinks the continent. This means that if that ice did melt, it wouldn't cause sea level rise

T. Geologist

>the majority of ice caps are underwater

American education, everyone. #SAD

Gee well its a good thing antarctic ice has been expanding to record levels in recent years

I've heard the contrary my entire life. If that shit melts, bad things will happen. I can't even get results from searching to corroborate what you said. Going to have to ask you to bring proof.

This is true. Which could be equally spooky. You think all the ice melting is bad. Look up what happens if all the water freezes.

That's retarded. Think about it, if I have a glass of water with ice in it, the water is cold. If the oceans have a bunch of ice on the "caps" then wouldn't the ocean be way too cold to ever swim in?

>The mile thick ice sheets cause an increase in density that actually sinks the continent. This means that if that ice did melt, it wouldn't cause sea level rise
>I've seen it predicted that the ice is heavy and pushing down on the continent measurably, and were the ice to all melt and recede away, the pressure removed, the continent would push up slightly, which would displace more water.

That sounds Al Gore-tier retarded but materials are so strange at large scales it might be true. I guess.

That's bro science as fuck

It is too cold. It also contains a lot of salt which lowers the freezing temperature. It has to be below 28'F (-2'C) to start freezing.

user is referring to the molecular structure of ice vs the one of water right? The same way if you leave a bottle in the cooler for extreme temperatures, the bottle snaps..

It may not be so because the ice stays on top and some floats. The volume above the surface does not displace or add to the volume of water.

>*with extreme temperatures

Before you say it's like -50 in the Arctic. The air temperature is, but ocean currents keep the water temperature above freezing for the most part.

OP needs to think harder and pick up a Jr high textbook.

It's simple. Look at the lifecycle for volcanic island in the south Pacific. As more volcanic material piles up, the island itself begins to sink, until it becomes just an atol and eventually sinks into the sea. It's the same idea

It remains the same since that same ice is already displacing he water. Ice melts, nothing happens.. Climate changers are colossal retards, plain and simple.

Bullshit. Only methane potentially dangerous to our climate is trapped in the sediments on the bottom of the sea. Humans have no effect whatsoever if it will release down there or not.

>Global Warming

Fuck you fucking Climate fags. It's been the coldest summer here for fucking decades and we even made a new record by having 5cm of snow in fucking july.

I fucking hope for global warming at this point so melt all the shit away

God this is stupid.

First of all most of the worlds ice is on land, ie antartica. if it melts, the ocean rises

second of all
FUCKING DISPLACEMENT

floating ice will not increase the volume of the water it floats in when it melts

water is about 8% less dense when frozen.

an object must displace equivalent mass of a liquid to float in it.

when you see ice floating on water the part above the water is this 8% discrepancy.

when you melt the ice floating in water there is absolutely 0 net change to the volume of the water

Proof:
youtu.be/aOCqHRpQh88

I'm not too worried about the actual flooding, move to afucking hill you plebs.

What worries me is all this 'fresh' (non salt) water melting and fucking up the currents due to desalinization. Move the NAD a few degrees east, and suddenly Europe looks like Leafland/Siberia.

Its already cold enough in the UK, don't make us cold wet and more miserable.

>oh no all da ice is meltin. Panic!
>oh no its actually exapanding. Thats even worse!
Is the climate supposed to be some stagnant, never-changing phenomenon? It doesn't take a degree in climatology to see the glaring holes in the global warming meme. The whole thing is falling apart at an increasing pace. Evidence is stacking up against it as the faulty climate projection charts fail over and over, the causes of the institutional failure that allowed smart people to fall for the meme are becoming more clear, a and the agenda of the corrupt forces that have pushed the scam is becoming obvious. Americans are going to be proven right yet again

Huh makes sense - but I dont know much on climate science. It pisses me that the cunts cant even work shit out. I am STEM postgrad and knowing my stats I made 10s of 1000s of bucks off the Trump election knowing he would win. Never gambled in my life until then but I saw the data and knew he would win. The question I always have is how the fuck can they be so fucking wrong all the time? The data is there: it is like sheep fiddling with a dataset. As a scientist I dont trust scientists.

This was b8, m8.

Not only does the land ice contribute to rising sea levels, as the temperature of water rises due to increased CO2 levels, the thermal expansion of water increases, causing higher rise of sea levels plus acidification of the ocean as more CO2 gets dissolved into the ocean i.e. carbonic acid.

>inb4 globalist shill

>I am STEM postgrad
What do you study? You finished your phd/masters?

You don't take into account the plasticity of oceanic crust over geologic time that actually deforms and sinks due to continental ice shelf forming

You said in your volcano example, that when the new material comes out and forms rocks, it pushes the old rock underground and subducts the crust. But that volcanic rock is at least 2-3 times more dense than the ice. Even if it will have an impact on oceanic crust subduction, I don't think it will be to the same impact as a volcano creating new land. What do you think?

It is enough weight to press down the continent. Antarctica is the lowest lying continent if the ice was scraped off. Also the continent rebound is measurable because the north ice sheet almost completely melted 8000 years ago.

What I don't get is, if the land ice melted from Antarctica, it would reduced the weight off the continent as the melted ice slow distributes its way to neighbouring oceans.

How would it keep pressing down the continent if that ice melts away and gets redistributed?

Also I can't type for shit right now, need sleep.

How much thermal energy is it going to take to melt all that ice?

kerdasi amaq

That's a geophysics question. Rock is plastic when on the surface over geologic time. The rock closer to the mantle that the continental and oceanic crust sits on is almost like silly putty also. If the ice were to disappear in a day, which it wouldn't, the rate at which the rock returned to equilibrium would be exponential at first, then a point of diminishing return would occur.

You didn't think this out for youreslf you faggot.

also this:
nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2013/09/rising-seas-ice-melt-new-shoreline-maps/

But how does that address the issue of the water distributing to other areas, reducing coastlines, flooding areas, etc.? So if that mass of water pushed down on the land on a large time scale, the coastlines will shrink more and sink the land. Is that not the issue?

The ice is never going to melt fast enough for any noticeable rise in sea level to look occur that takes place over the resettling of the continent from which the ice sheets melted

Here's my question. If melting and freezing earth are the main drivers of sea level, why was earth once completely covered in water? The scientists who have made models which do not reflect the geologic reality show that even if all ice melted, most of our landmasses would stay above water. Then where did the extra water that made our planet a waterworld millions of years ago come from?

The reverse to the questioon also stands. When sea levels were much lower and places like dogger bank were exposed, what accounts for this drop in sea level? These are much more dramatic shifts than what could be locked up in ice

Experiment. Get a glass of water, put some ice in it. Measure it, make a mark. Wait till ice melts, measure again. Now pour some more water in it and realize that is what will actually happen, because a great deal of the ice is NOT in the water anyway...

Is that the channel with (((aliens)))? Good source of info tbqhfamalam

Fuck you and your anime faggot and stupid uneducated ideas. I hope you fall and get impaled by your moms dildo.

Ill vouch for him, good guy. Has 6 PHD in stem, revolutionized the field. His dad is a lawyer, his uncle works at nintendo, and his cousin went to sandy hook. He also has a few friends in the nsa that can find you

Classic burger education

Retard alert.

Ice sinks to a level where it displaces the same volume of water as the volume if its entire mass.

Melting ice will never lower the water level, it can only increase the water level as it sits on rocks above the surface.

I don't like anime either but OP has a valid question. You did not even offer an argument.

The vast majority of Arctic Ice is actually below sea level.
It's not just floating on top like a few light icecubes in a glass.