What's the deal with gold bars? If society collapses and all you have is gold bars...

What's the deal with gold bars? If society collapses and all you have is gold bars, you'd need to somehow get it cut into smaller pieces to trade, so are you better off with nuggets? Say you find someone, after society collapses, with the means to cut a gold bar into smaller pieces, they know how desperate you are for smaller, tradeable units, (((they))) can charge you whatever price they want.

>Sure, I can cut your gold bar into 500 smaller pieces. But I get to keep 300 of them.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-Z0PAC__sOQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

where I'm from, gold is traded much more frequently, many use 1 ounce gold coins along with gold bracelets. Farmers would work the entire year and sell there harvest for gold coins, then they would buy a months worth of groceries for 1 gold coin when inflation was retarded.

I see the competition for the best shitpost is heating up again?
Just watch out there is a leaf around here posting how he loves guzzling nigger semen in buckets.

Does anyone on pol buy gold? Should I invest?

This guy gets it. Bars are cumbersome and more likely to be counterfeit these days.

Never cut up your gold bars dude

There is always tungsten inside

After society collapses a pound of your gold will not buy you a pound of my bread.

step up your game, newfags.

apmex.com
90% "junk silver"
1oz American Silver Eages or Canadian Silver Maples (off-brand rounds or e.g. Mexican is fine too if you're worried about getting that last shekel's worth)
1/20oz - 1oz American Gold Eagles or Canadian Gold maples (authenticity and recognition more important with gold)

Don't worry about particular dates or used condition. Put maybe like half your money into silver and half into gold if you have enough for both.

Bingo. You just got idiot-proof started and then you can get more sophisticated if you want to increase your portfolio.

>If society collapses and all you have is gold bars

Then you're shit out of luck because if society has collapsed, gold will have no value because it's not really usable for anything that aids survival.

depends on your condition desu, trading gold in NA is really unfeasible and its only good if the value of the dollar drops. Unless you're expecting crazy amounts of inflation, there is no point.

gold is the best currency of the world. its rare but not too rare.

I tend to buy lower weight gold bullion - typically 10g and 5g bars. However the heavier bars (tens of ounces and up) are better value which is why many wealthier PM investors buy them.

Any physical Gold bullion is good though really, way better than holding shitty fiat.

retains it's value better than paper.

this

British sovereigns are great, too. Possibly the most trusted and recognized coin in the world, and it's even only about 1/5oz, so you don't have to spend a whole oz at a time.

People with gold bars aren't going to be terribly worried about using them for small scale transactions.

Look up hacksilver anyway ya dipshit

Well you'd be looking pretty stupid when things normalized and your neighbor is filthy rich from selling his excess food for gold.

>Sure, I can cut your gold bar into 500 smaller pieces. But I get to keep 300 of them.

Hmm, okay. Can I hire a few mercenaries to come and murder you and take your equipment for less than the cost of the 300 gold bars you would charge me though?

Because ((two))) can play at (((that game))) or you could be reasonable and we can strike a deal that greatly benefits us both.

Gold has many different qualities that basically make it Earth's Natural Currency. It's uncommon, but not exactly rare, you can easily melt it yourself (answering the dividing bars question), and it withstands you manhandling the shit out of it. That being said, for gold to have any worth, there needs to be a need for currency, so in the event of societal collapse, gold is more of a long term investment for once a group of people settle back together enough that they require currency instead of simply bartering. Due to being Earth's Natural Currency, it'll have an intrinsic worth as a currency that doesn't need to be backed by any other material (most currencies are backed with gold or high value materials like petrol), but you know, you still need a currency.

If things normalized then society did not collapse.

If the bar does not work, you can always hit him with it.

Gold is massively versatile hence why it has such value. There's more to it than "it's just le shiny metal XD" like the retarded plebbitors say.

Thats what ((they)) want you to believe
Same as diamonds

Flag checks out, GTFO JIDF shill

>if society collapses things will never ever go back to normal and we're all just going to turn into a bunch of nomadic savages

You're dumb.

>invest
If you buy gold you 'speculate' not invest. It's a commodity not a company.
Depends on your net-worth and how liquid your assets are (also how paranoid you are.) Literally the only sensible thing I've ever heard Kevin OLeary say was to 5-10% of your cash in metals, but that's just my opinion, and I'm an uneducated neet sururban retard

Tip harder, vape deeper

5-10% is a pretty standard rule of thumb. But unless you're day trading ETFs or something gold in particular should be viewed as as an investment.

Silver is enough of an industrial metal that you could more legitimately view it as a commodity.

Gold is useless post collapse. If you really want to go full-on-prep, stock up on things people will actually be able to readily use.

The gold standard was only a thing before fiat and electronic currency were a reasonable. A recovery economy has no reason to start from a gold-backed currency.

youtube.com/watch?v=-Z0PAC__sOQ

Better to invest in gold or silver jewelery or watches. Easy to set a value and trade. If you don't mind trading your $1000 gold watch for a dozen rolls of TP and a liter of water that is.

Problem with physical silver in the UK is you pay VAT. So you're looking at spot + 20% before the dealer has made any commission. I think theres a tax efficient way of buying it where it's stored on your behalf but haven't really looked into it

The currency of the apocalypse will be booze, medicine, and condoms.

Gold is good but for practicality, you should ideally acquire smaller units of silver and as much copper as possible (the latter preferably in wire).

>thread full of small ballers
I'm stockpiling rare earths. be worth more than gold in the post post-collapse period.

Yeah, variations in regional law definitely change the lay of the land. Always important to bear in mind.

Last time I liquidated some physical I paid about 30% in capital gains tax. But it had already more than doubled in value and I wanted to exchange silly things like 100oz silver ingots for more practical forms anyway. One of the many ways that makes trading paper infinitely superior if you're going to think about it like a trader rather than an investor.

proofs?

They also have credit card style scored sheets of gold that can be broken into 1 gram peices

Stockpile bullets and medicine if you want to actually get ready for a 'happening' and have currency.
Use gold/silver/platinum and other rare earths if you want a stable universal currency.

>Last time I liquidated some physical I paid about 30% in capital gains tax.
See on the flipside, there's no CGT on sale of silver/gold bullion coin from the Royal Mint. So if I buy gold it'll be Britannicas, even though I really like the Krugarrands.

I'm thinking more as a way of diversifying savings long term than trading. Ofc paper would be better for that, but I want metals.

Pic related is a 5kg (12lbs) andorra silver coinbar. Theres also one issued by the cook islands and 1kg too. I've found some places in the Netherlands that sell it VAT free, but need to do my research as I'd hate to get stung for the VAT at customs

Yeah, what I hold is mainly an insurance policy for retirement or whatever, and ideally I'll just give it away to family when it's my turn to die.

Used to be Krugerrands were one of the main viable ways to get physical gold in the US. I've got a couple kind of for keepsake value because they're unique in their metal composition and I like the idea of being able to handle the various common kinds of coins myself so that I'd have a capacity for recognizing them and not being a total noob at the pawn shop or jewelry store if it should come to that.