Low flying jet over western massachusetts

At 7:55 pm EST, a silver or white jet flew over my area heading NNE. It was low enough for me to see the glare of the sun hit the windows on the plane. Honestly, it was low enough I thought it may crash.

Around 8:05, I saw the same plane heading south but gaining altitude sharply. I checked current flights in the air and there was nothing taking that route at low altitude. Nothing even in the air over us at that time actually.

I saw the plane heading south. A couple was stopped on the sidewalk and were watching it and the man asked "what the hell is that plane doing?" So I know I am not crazy and it was there.

At 8:44pm I then heard a similar sounding low aircraft but could not see it. I then heard one military jet and was able to find that on radar as "blocked."

Anyone else in MA see this? The plane came from over Northampton, over Amherst, turned around somewhere North of Amherst and then began gaining altitude heading south over South Amherst.

Why is it not on radar? This is just one in a string of near nightly flyovers. Mostly military jets and helicopters. Between the all black helicopters flying around and military jets overhead nightly, it is making me paranoid.

Whatever color it was, it was reflecting the color of the clouds and was nearly invisible for a few moments while gaining altitude.

Picture is the closest I could find to it online. It was more likely all white than silver now that I think of it.

What is in the area that would warrant so many military planes to be circling the area everyday?

Other urls found in this thread:

lexington.wickedlocal.com/article/20150520/NEWS/150529322/13406/NEWS
hanscom.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/1238570/hanscom-returns-to-normal-operations/
fox61.com/2017/07/06/truck-stopped-at-gate-to-mass-air-force-base-over-explosives-fear/
theaviationist.com/2017/04/17/new-photos-show-the-rare-heavily-modified-b-707-operated-by-mit-as-a-communications-and-sensor-testbed-for-the-u-s-air-force/
fox23.com/news/fbi-investigating-explosion-at-air-force-recruiting-center-in-bixby/556068111
de.flightaware.com/live/airport/KCEF/departures
disabledperson.com/jobs/9626364-general-aircraft-mechanic
popularmechanics.com/flight/a19049/airplane-windows-round-so-planes-dont-rip-apart/
bostonherald.com/news/local_coverage/2017/06/eastie_rattled_by_low_flying_planes
youtube.com/watch?v=70E9KA48Sic
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Have you checked for mutilated cows?

FUCKING FINALLY!
I TOLD YOU FAGS WW3 IS HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!

You mean the fat SJW cows that infest the area? Let them get mutilated.

>been to Northampton numerous times at three county fairgrounds
>literally an airport next door
>every time I was there there was at least one day a military aircraft was around

Plausible? There are a few links about this plane online. It's MIT/Lincoln Labs, I've seen in flying over Woburn.

This one actually.
lexington.wickedlocal.com/article/20150520/NEWS/150529322/13406/NEWS

This plane was too large to take off from that airport. They handle only small Cessna type planes. This could not have taken off or landed from there. The runway is over 800 feet too short.

That's some dedication to fucking with someone

How is Western Mass? You gun laws suck but the exburbs of Springfield seem like a comfy place. Any Indians?

This looks just like it from the pictures she posted on Twitter.

Head to the hill towns and it is real nice. The gun laws do suck though.

Bumping from Boston, kid.

Saw it fly over 91 at 820 by the mall.

Thanks.

Why did my id change?

>The gun laws suck
'Nuff said...

So i am still kinda sane?

What type of aircraft was it? How do you know how much runway it needs?

Did you know some jet aircraft weigh as much as prop planes?

Who else here Massfag. If thread tanks this is a Mass General thread. Direct all other Massachusetts threads here

I went based on the runway length from Wikipedia. I have never seen a jet fly into that airport. The runway is just over 3,300 feet and all I have ever seen there are pipers and Cessna type planes.

Sounds like a solid plan.

OP, check this:

Looks like other posters are confirming that fixed-wing aircraft flying in and out of Hanscom AFB. The base recently shut down due to potentially hazardous materials discovered in a truck at checkpoint. Likely unrelated, but story below, plus official Base page:

hanscom.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/1238570/hanscom-returns-to-normal-operations/

fox61.com/2017/07/06/truck-stopped-at-gate-to-mass-air-force-base-over-explosives-fear/

this.

Could be that. But why so low and pull a I turn?

U turn

Could be a PC-24 prototype. It's a jet, it' needs only 2,690 ft even on a unpaved runway to takeoff and about 2,526 ft to land.

Here's the about page for MIT Lincoln Labs. Among other projects, they list:

>Lincoln Space Surveillance Complex
>Airborne Test Bed Facility
>Integrated Weather and Air Traffic Control Decision Facilities
AAAAAND
>RF Test System Facility, described as "The antenna and radar cross-section measurements facility, constructed at MIT Lincoln Laboratory on Hanscom Air Force Base, was designed with a rapid prototyping focus for radar and communications systems development. "

No say. Connecting these dots would be a disparate effort. More interesting in that, your thread has stoked an interest in this local AFB plus MIT defense contracts. See:

This fucking guy

That's not necessarily too small for a jet aircraft.

Can you describe the aircraft? Straight or swept wings? T tail or conventional? Where were the engines? What shape were the windows? Did it have wingtips? Could you see the gear? Were the flaps deployed?

They do all sorts of crazy shit. They have a 707 the fly around too.

Bless those anons with aircraft and weapons fetishes.

I'm an air traffic controller, I get paid to know these things

what purpose?

glad to know that someone else is as high as I am right now.

OP, thumbs up.

still badass. Well done, m8

Adding as the company that builds it is pilatus that is known to be hyper conservative on all their plane specs that thing will most likely be able to operate on a 2k ft runway without a problem...

Nice pepe.

And I'm a Commercial Pilot flying a PC-12 so this kind of autism is a must.

>NNE
There is no such thing as North North East you dumb mother fucker.. it's either NORTH or NORTH EAST... LMFAO EVEN A TODDLER KNOWS THAT!

You just now learned that the "radar" is a meme and none of the flights are real.
Anything you see on there that matched real life events was nothing more than a coincidence.

>This plane was too large to take off from that airport.

Bradley International Airport (BDL)

I can personally verify that radar is not a meme

theaviationist.com/2017/04/17/new-photos-show-the-rare-heavily-modified-b-707-operated-by-mit-as-a-communications-and-sensor-testbed-for-the-u-s-air-force/

Found this article.I know they use to call in "paul revere" but apparently it has a new name now. I see it every once and a while in the air, it gets new antennas every year.

Adderawl is feckin cool, dude.

> "the aircraft is used for testing airborne battle management, command, control and communication technology and concepts"
So they run wargames within US using this 707 as a CV in our airspace? Would sort of scenario be generalizable and translate to foreign battlefields, or does that depend upon the nature of the game/exercise conducted?

>kehd!

if only you really knew the full extent of Lincoln Labs abilities. muhahaha.

>Straight or swept wings?
Straight wings coming from under the plane not from the side

>T tail or conventional?
T shaped tail like in the picture.

>Where were the engines?
Looked to be attacthed to the tail. Not under the wing.

>What shape were the windows?
Looked oval in shape, at least 8 windows

>Did it have wingtips?
No. It looked like there were small round engines or something on them.

>ould you see the gear?
If you mean landing gear, no.

>Were the flaps deployed?
Not the first time. Saw something on the wings when it was getting higher

Or worcester

Good question. I have actually talked to someone who is involved in the project once, but they all sign NDAs and want to keep their jobs.

Again, likely unrelated, but check out this story of foiled bombing of AF recruiting center, combined with today's mysterious crash of [AC-130?] over Mississippi:

fox23.com/news/fbi-investigating-explosion-at-air-force-recruiting-center-in-bixby/556068111

Maybe even Westover Metro Airport
All big enough for e Gulfstream or similar.

an MIT-insider is one of the few people of importance that I would accept as lurking on Sup Forums without the usual skepticism or accusation of LARPing. You geeks are fuckin weird--meant as a compliment

8 windows? That means it was huge. Straight wings means either a citation or a smaller beechjet but neither one of those would have 8 windows. Not even a gulfstream or challenger have 8 windows.

I guess some models of challenger have 8 windows but the pictures I could find were oval not round, had swept wings, and winglets, all of which contradicts basically everything else you described.

That sounds perfectly like a prototype of a small hyper versatile jet.
>Looked oval in shape, at least 8 windows
that would be massive. 4-6 are usual so I put my money on a prototype
>No. It looked like there were small round engines or something on them.
Those are Yaw damper
>Not the first time. Saw something on the wings when it was getting higher
sounds like a reasonable slow it down with full flaps till the stall horn goes off and accelerate out test.

There's always weird shit flying out of westover. Daily basis seeing them in the foothills of CT

Bumping.

Girlfriend goes to Westfield, lives in Belchertown (20 minutes outside Springfield). Positive that airport (bradley i think??) nearby couldn't have involvement?

>Westover Metro Airport
de.flightaware.com/live/airport/KCEF/departures

Check the types listed here.

disabledperson.com/jobs/9626364-general-aircraft-mechanic

I think I am confused on the straight vs swept. They were not angled back drastically, they were less angled than a boomerang if that makes sense.

My friend with me counted "six maybe seven" windows.

Yes, this was a big plane! I seriously thought it was going to crash since there is not an airport nearby and I have never seen a plane this big that low.

I said oval windows.

>What shape were the windows?
Looked oval in shape, at least 8 windows

On the runway on the civilian side of westover.

>not an airport nearby
KCEF, KBDL for starters

>I said oval windows.

All airplane windows are oval with very few exceptions.

It's hard to pin down the type from your description but even larger jets can fly VFR, which means they're out flying doing whatever they want. They could have even been doing low approaches over that small airport you mentioned.

Whatever it was, an airplane flying low to the ground doesn't mean anything except that it's low to the ground. Sorry to burst your bubble but it was almost certainly nothing of interest or suspect.

>All airplane windows are oval with very few exceptions.

That is so untrue that it's almost cringeworthy. Every Gulfstream has round windows, a lot of GA prop planes don't have oval windows either.

>almost certainly nothing of interest or suspect
>C H E M T R A I L S
>Military trying new mind altering chemicals on select population

Googled this and was redirected to super versatile jets. That is exactly the style plane I saw. Even had the seven windows my friend saw. I thought there was right but I may have mistook a logo for a front window.

>Every Gulfstream has round windows
Of course, rounded/round/oval windows

>a lot of GA prop planes don't have oval windows either
Some exceptions being unpressurized aircraft

But since we're talking about a jet here, it's fair to assume it's pressurized

Well a PC-24 would be reasonable as Oshkosh Airventure will be from the 24-30 and there will be a lot of new/prototype/experimental aircraft on display...

Round and oval are not the same thing, genius. There's a reason I distinguished between the two. If you counted oval as being round and square too then there'd be no reason to bring up windows at all because that would describe every window that wasn't a bubble canopy.

Shape of the window has absolutely nothing to do with pressurization, it's entirely manufacturer preference.

Fuck, i live in North Attleborough, where were you, Norton? Taunton?

No sign of it here yet.

Nah lad theres a lot of closet nazis, libertarians, etc in the shadows, sjw kikes just scream the loudest and can get you fired

>Shape of the window has absolutely nothing to do with pressurization

popularmechanics.com/flight/a19049/airplane-windows-round-so-planes-dont-rip-apart/

I don't want to keep repeating myself so this will be the final time I say this: oval and round are not the same thing. A window isn't considered oval just for having rounded edges. Round windows are circular, oval windows have a length greater than its width, and square windows have straight sides with equal lengths and widths.

I can't believe I'm explaining shapes to you.

Don't mind closet nazis.

Use FR24, find your location and set the time you saw the aircraft using the clock icon.

it's fucking nothing link to story on low flying planes bostonherald.com/news/local_coverage/2017/06/eastie_rattled_by_low_flying_planes

user, I need to show you something

oops wrong date sorry guys

>I can't believe I'm explaining shapes to you.
Thanks. It's late and I'm high on jenkum.

I went to UMass and there were low flying airplanes all the time. There's an airport somewhere in the area.

time to die OP

youtube.com/watch?v=70E9KA48Sic

I realize that by this was nothing like those.

it's not a question of low altitude on landing/takeoff, it's an issue of maintaining low altitude, making a U-turn, then rapidly climbing, all without radar confirmation (although flying too low to be seen by radar is supposedly a thing)

Curt Schilling goes shopping in his pajamas.

No way you can.