Does the Orthodox church have blood on its hands like the Catholics do...

Does the Orthodox church have blood on its hands like the Catholics do? Did they ever kill whole communities of people for heresy?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raskol
m.youtube.com/watch?v=90-kKtEroV8
eponymousflower.blogspot.com/2017/02/lutheran-bishop-thinks-pope-bergoglio.html
youtube.com/watch?v=saoa8Vr7r3s
amazon.com/Woman-Rides-Beast-Catholic-Church/dp/1565071999
earlychristianwritings.com/text/ignatius-smyrnaeans-longer.html
barnhardt.biz/2017/07/06/handful-of-remaining-catholics-in-the-vatican-have-essentially-given-up/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raskol

Don't know about the slav branches but the only killing our priests are known for are Turks and Germans, during the war for independence and WW2 respectively.

Especially during the struggle against the turks churches were known as a place were resistance fighters hid and were treated/protected and more than once when surrounded and there was no way of escape the priest himself would set fire to the church to burn everyone inside it to avoid being captured and tortured.

nigga our priests are made of magic

Orthodox church is highly hostile towards any wrongthink. When starovers decided to branch off, head out into taiga and live there in self-imposed exile, away from the mortal coil, mainstream Ortodox church managed to get them killed and their villages burned down.

Overall, they were as corrupt as pre-Enlightenment Catholics clerics and churches got pwnt by Bolsheviks. As soon as USSR fell apart, the Church started gutting medical science, and today it's basically another arm of the government, just like it was back during Imperial times. They don't impose 10% tax (yet), so the government picks up the slack.

>they were as corrupt as pre-Enlightenment Catholic clerics, until the church got pwnt by Bolsheviks
fixed

nonsense, you are the albanian , if I hear one moar time that Orthodoxy is the Russian govt or the KGB Ima flip with your fucking lies . As an alboroach , youre the worse of the worse shitposters .

All your paragraph is bunk. To Greece the Church has been a blessing and to Russia as well and it can be for the rest of the West slowly but surely, just some wacos and balkan jellies are against it.

The orthodox killed plenty of heretics and had inner stuggles too, i.e iconoclasts.

Byzantines did some pretty gruesome stuff to other Barbarians aswell, they deserved it though.

>Orthodoxy is the Russian govt or the KGB
Not Orthodoxy (religion), but Russian Orthodox Church (organization)

This is not what he asked, OP want's to knoe if The Orthodox Church was like the Borgias, full of wars and money and politics etc. Which it was not.

>which it was not

you sure?
the Patriarchs were second only to the Byzantine Emperor's concubines in power.

I'm quite sure , friend they didn't do crime and war and turned the church into a bordello a la Romana.

Well, if we are getting like this, Orthodoxy is not a religion, it is a church, "a branch" inside christianity, which is a religion

I believe this Russian user because Quigley said exactly the same thing in Tragedy and Hope. It's basically a mafia like any other powerful organization.

Here and there. Don't be mistaken. Orthodoxy is theologically nice but Orthodox churches are as corrupt as Roman Catholics.

he's not russian, he';s the albanian who posts from russia and shits on Russian stuff , just because some faggot said anything it shouldn't become self evident before you check for veracity.
Well here my churches are not , they actually do good stuff, you've become all so corrupt you can't even believe there are good things in this world.

Greekanons what your opinion here arent our friendanons quite off ?

pic > now with Sup Forums comes free phD

the word "orthodox" is an adjective not a noun
you could say, "christian orthodox" or "orthodox christian" but there are sects calling themselves orthodox and it is part of their name, not what they actually do in real life.
they are fraudsters the same no matter the religion, so you shouldn't give them adjectives they do not qualify for, but only by their cult's name, such as "Russian Orthodox Church" as it is commonly referred to these days.
But that is not in russian, but translated into english, but do you want to write a bunch of squiggles or say "ISIS" or "Islam" using english names for them?
all religions are bullshit, so playing their games of pretending they are "orthodox" about the cult's "holy" ideology when they are no different from a witch-doctor in africa saying there is a "holy tradition" of picking one's nose in the "holy" four directions of the compass.
yeah, let's get all worked up over calling things by what they actually are instead of the bullshit propaganda built into the cultures.

Yes probably they are human

Orthodoxy didn't killed a single person for being heretic.

>Orthodoxy didn't killed a single person for being heretic.

>Implying

As bad as Church was, bolsheviks are still a bunch of kike foreign agents using chink mercenaries and other scum to destroy Russia.

Orthodox were slaughtering Latin Christians i.e. Catholics, that's why the 4th Crusade went the way it did.

>Byzantine Empire

>just because some faggot said anything it shouldn't become self evident before you check for veracity.
You should take your own advice. Quigley was a Georgetown history professor. I'm going to take his word over a butthurt Greek any day of the week.

Expected reply like this. But the heretics weren't executed for being heretics. Most of the time they were executed for high - treason or something like that de jure.

>You should take your own advice. Quigley was a Georgetown history professor. I'm going to take his word over a butthurt Greek any day of the week.
wasnt he that faggot that mentored clinton to become a degenerate leftist ? He hated church, coincidence much ? I'll pass on your cuck professor. And stick to my own history which I know better.

You are correct. The Orthodox church actually helps around a lot here in Greece and most of its members are really kind and generous people. Having said that,like all churches it has some problems but they are minor or have been solved.
-Coming from a not that religious peraon as well.

It's just some of our Montenigger churches, chruches in Serbia, Republic of Srpska and Greece are way better. I mean Ostrog is beutifull.

well you kinda get that slaughter after you start 2 civil wars, let's not whitewash the fiasco and betrayal completely, right leaf ?

Well, you see thing is youve intellectualized and rationalizes what is a 'religion' we here wish we could show you but it's something experiential . We do have our signs that Orthodox is actually on to something . But it's too early to tell the uninterested.

ty broanon, if they havnt seen they don't know

over n out folks

Way to straw man. Stay buttmad, Geek boi.

>like the Catholics do
Explain yourself, Protestant.

its called Greek you doofus, not geek
>and i'm not upset , just you are a visibly ignorant sjw

Everyone point and laugh at the autist.

Stupid,dumb anime posting scum.

that's right , kys leftist scum

>I'm so intellectually dull, I only have the capacity to call christians "protestant" for calling the catholic church the whore of babylon

Who's that A Wyatt Mann caricature?

Not an argument. I can understand being this butthurt when you're up to your eyeballs in debt so I'll let it slide.

I'm with Achilles the Greek, even though he is a schismatic.

>when no one called the Catholic Church the whore of babylon

Orthodox priests are Steven Seagal
m.youtube.com/watch?v=90-kKtEroV8

The kikes have been destroying communites B.C. How is that even a ?

way to argument out of authority
user merely pointed out your authority of choice was a faggot degen

>when its obvious at this point the roman catholic church is the whore of babylon

I never said I was right because of authority X, I said it's more credible because it's backed up by an actual scholar and not some basement dwelling retard that uses the term "degeneracy" for anything he doesn't like. I doubt you even have the discipline to attempt reading all 1.3k pages of the book so I'm done here. I don't need your validations, fags.

>When one is so ignorantly unaware of history that they do not realize that the actual, official Magisterium of the Church holds and believes the very same things as the disciples of the Apostles, yet the majority of the hierarchy have left this faith, including the pope, who is actively pushing for widespread acceptance of Protestant principles
>eponymousflower.blogspot.com/2017/02/lutheran-bishop-thinks-pope-bergoglio.html

you have frontal lobe brain damage.

the protestant church are the daughters of the whore of babylon.

yes it's just because you are an anal retentive obsessive compulsive , i envy you not

oh wow, i have this clip of a spetsnaz monk

youtube.com/watch?v=saoa8Vr7r3s

You can't be Christian, without being Protestant if you aren't Catholic unless you're Orthodox. You don't get to use the Catholic Church's Bible (of 73 books) that it put into canon in 382AD at the Council of Rome, reaffirmed in 393 at Synod of Hippo, reaffirmed in 419 at Council of Carthage then reject the authority of the Church herself or it is necessary to throw out the veracity of the New Testament.

What kind of fundy nonsense is this pic. This is Loraine Boettner-tier silliness--you may be too young to know who that is, in that case, it's Jack Chick-tier insanity.
I don't even know where to start with pic related.

The Serbian Orthodox Church killed our Emporor because he wanted to be a Catholic,not to mention how manny Orthodox priests were kiling Catholic and Muslim civilians durring the Yugoslav wars.

pravoslavije ili smert - must be bulgarian

Muslims are not human though.

wow I have never seen a serb saying things like that on fucking pol lol

So long as you worship a semitic deity like (((Jesus))) you are vulnerable to hostile takeover by Jews, it's just a fact of life that you have to embrace in your journey as jewsus follower.

It's actually the opposite.
When the Church is strong, the Jews are weak.
When the Church is weak, the Jews are strong.
The Jews didn't become strong in European society (and thus American) until the WASP ideological descendants instituted secularism (classical liberalism). When a nation becomes separated from the Church and the laws of God, it will come to be ruled by Jews.

Nobody really knows who reallut killed Tsar Dusan but in my opinion I think that the Serbian Orthodox church killed him,because he was traveling to Vatican to talk about the growing threat that were the Ottomans and he probably would of converted to Catholicism if he made the deal with the Pope.

As if killing heretics is bad.

The Murderer kills the body, but the heretic kills the soul. -St. Thomas Aquinas

>I don't even know where to start with pic related.
the bible is a good place to start.

>You can't be Christian, without being Protestant if you aren't Catholic unless you're Orthodox.

man, this statement is all kinds of wrong. no where in the bible does it state I have to submit to church authority to be a christian. the protestant church is controlled opposition. Martin Luther also attacked home and personal study of the bible

>You don't get to use the Catholic Church's Bible (of 73 books) that it put into canon in 382AD at the Council of Rome, reaffirmed in 393 at Synod of Hippo, reaffirmed in 419 at Council of Carthage then reject the authority of the Church herself or it is necessary to throw out the veracity of the New Testament.

OH MAN, MY SIDES HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
its almost like Christianity existed 300ish years before any of those things happened.

>This is Loraine Boettner-tier silliness--you may be too young to know who that is, in that case, it's Jack Chick-tier insanity.

long hair, don't care.
amazon.com/Woman-Rides-Beast-Catholic-Church/dp/1565071999
>What kind of fundy nonsense is this pic
>being in this much denial

>jews HATE Him
tired of all this jidf , 'let's pagan you nazis' shilling

this manon is right , the Byzantines had 3 rules about jews, no into teaching, no into government, no into banking. That's why kikes hate Orthodoxy with a passion.

I also think they plotted to kill King Alexander Karadjordjevic because he wanted to recognize the catholic church as state religion, too.

Yes.

>the bible is a good place to start
>man, this statement is all kinds of wrong. no where in the bible does it state I have to submit to church authority to be a christian. the protestant church is controlled opposition. Martin Luther also attacked home and personal study of the bible
1 Timothy 3:15
The Church is the pillar and ground of truth. There is no Christianity outside of the Church.

>its almost like Christianity existed 300ish years before any of those things happened
You're absolutely right.
Such as with Ignatius of Antioch. He was the personal friend of St. John the Beloved Apostle and sat, learned at his feet. He was ordained a Bishop by St. Peter. He was over a diocese in Smyrna, and eventually captured by the Romans and brought to Rome for martyrdom.
He wrote his flock on the way to martyrdom:
>"Wheresoever the Bishop is, let the people be, even as Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church."
He also warned his flock of the heretics (Gnostics at the time, but pertinent to our situation, as well) who did not receive Holy Communion with them because they did not believe it to be the actual body and blood of Christ.
This was in 110AD. The Church pre-exists the Scriptures.
>earlychristianwritings.com/text/ignatius-smyrnaeans-longer.html

Then go kill the pope and his cadre of pedophile cardinals you fucking faggot. or is boy fucking "gods will"?

The assassins that killed him were Bulgarian nationalists who wanted Macedonia to be independent,also that was Yugoslavia back then when there was a bigger number of Catholics in Yugoslavia also he wanted to give the Croats their own stated at how much they were chimping out but he really couldn't of wen't full King Milutin style and purge all the Catholics from Serbia and let his soldiers have a Catholic Nun orgy 2.0.

>what is the Massacre of Latins

this. Bring back the Inquisition now

CHRTISTIAN UNITY WHEN

ONLY CHANCE FOR SALVATION

Russian

the result of 2 civil wars started by the venetians
there must be unity but must be done correctly, by removig all heresies

We most certainly need an inquisition. Funny how inflated numbers are used by non-Catholics, but the inquisitions had no authority over non-Catholics.
The problem in the hierarchy is too bad for a human solution. Only a supernatural chastisement event can cleanse the Church and the world.
>barnhardt.biz/2017/07/06/handful-of-remaining-catholics-in-the-vatican-have-essentially-given-up/

>who did not receive Holy Communion with them because they did not believe it to be the actual body and blood of Christ.

the words of Christ are his flesh, and the holy spirit is his blood.

>1 Timothy 3:15
lets see whoat Timothy has to say on the matter

3 This is a true saying, if a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.

2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;

>the husband of one wife
>roman catholic church bans bishops from being married.
>scripture indicates a bishop must be married
man, its like catholics hate the bible or something

>>"Wheresoever the Bishop is, let the people be, even as Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church."
pic related

>and eventually captured by the Romans and brought to Rome for martyrdom.
>when being christian is a death sentence in rome

>This was in 110AD. The Church pre-exists the Scriptures.

this is pretty much the most wrong thing I've ever seen in my life.

>by removig all heresies

And kebabs

This
Orthodoxy is the one true faith.

yes
also we've been had
>1 post by this id

t.dirty mongol magy*r

So, Christ teaches in John 6 that you must eat His flesh, then the disciples turn away from Christ in John 6:66, and He has no moral obligation to chase them down and correct his supposedly symbolic reference when He obviously corrected incorrect interpretations before?
Whew.

Celibacy is a discipline instituted by Christ Himself. Like with other things with protestants, take it up with Christ.
>eunuchs for the kingdom, pic related

I know you fellas have a problem parsing history since your theology began in the sixteenth century. I used to be one of you until I read the early Church fathers.

>backed up by an (((actual scholar)))
look at yourself

>Venetians
>Latins

Venetians are jewish controlled

>John 1:14
And the Word was made flesh,

>So, Christ teaches in John 6 that you must eat His flesh

yes, and John 1 teaches that the word of god is his flesh

here's the rest of John 6 that clears that up

67 Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away?

68 Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life.

>Celibacy is a discipline instituted by Christ Himself. Like with other things with protestants, take it up with Christ.
>eunuchs for the kingdom, pic related

>having to be so intellectually dud you have to call me a protestant despite the fact I care for none of Martin Luthers shenanigans

this still doesn't change the fact a Bishop of the church must be married, and concerning the fact the roman catholic church bans bishops from being married despite it being law in the bible, means the catholic church is a counterfeit. and no true church of christ

>I know you fellas have a problem parsing history since your theology began in the sixteenth century.

my theology actually begins before the beginning of the creation of the heavens and the earth, and space-time.

>I used to be one of you until I read the early Church fathers.
you were never "one of me"

>church fathers
Matthew 23:9
And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.

The entire discourse of the Bread of Life, Christ uses the Greek word "phagia" when referring to "eating." This can indeed be taken figuratively.
Yet, the Greek in John 6:57, Christ is being absolutely clear. He says,
>"As the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so he who eats me will live because of me"
The Greek word He uses here is "trogon" which literally means to gnaw, rip, and chew. Only then did he Jews truly understand what He meant, exclaiming "this is a hard saying" (John 6:61). Later completely leaving Christ (6:66) because of this.

In John 1:14, St. John is applying the Greek philosophy of Logos to Christ; Word is literally "Logos," meaning that Christ is the fleshy incarnation of the divine order of the universe, consciousness and rationality itself.

The "one wife" reference of St. Paul to Timothy takes background and context. First off, he is not making it a requirement. Secondly, he is referring to the polygamous traditions at the time (cf Titus 1:6, which exhorts both elders and bishops against multiple marriages).
Otherwise, there is literally no reason for him to mention "one" when speaking of wife. If he had said bishops MUST have one wife, that is a different story. He is simply disqualifying anyone to the ministry that is living in a polygamous "marriage."

In fact, St. Paul's recommendations to all are to remain celibate, and to remain single after losing a spouse (I Cor. 7:1-8; 25-28; 32-35; 38; 39-40).

>my theology actually begins before the...
Protestant theology didn't begin until the sixteenth century; hence the reason Luther, Calvin, and Zwingli spoke of their doctrines as "the new, true Gospel"

>And call no man your father upon the earth
I suppose, then, Jesus sinned.
>"What father [pater] among you would hand his son a snake when he asks for a fish?" Luke 11:11
>"...a father [pater] will be divided against his son and a song against his father [pater]..." Luke 12:53

>He has no moral obligation to chase them down and correct his supposedly symbolic reference
Many Disciples Turn Away

(Matthew 8:18-22; Luke 9:57-62; Luke 14:25-33)

>60Many therefore of his disciples, when they had heard this, said, This is an hard saying; who can hear it? 61When Jesus knew in himself that his disciples murmured at it, he said unto them, Doth this offend you? 62What and if ye shall see the Son of man ascend up where he was before? 63It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life. 64But there are some of you that believe not. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were that believed not, and who should betray him. 65And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father.

>For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were that believed not,

No he does not

>And call no man your father upon the earth
>Jesus
>"If anyone comes to me without hating his father [pater] and mother...he cannot be my disciple" Luke 14:26
>"honor your father [pater] and your mother" Matt 19:19

St. Paul, inspired of the Holy Ghost, too.
>"...follow the path of faith that our father [pater] Abraham walked..." Roman 4:12

St. Stephen, too.
>"...My brothers and fathers [pater], listen. The God of glory appeared to our father Abraham while he was in Mesopotamia..." Acts 7:2

Jesus was referring to the rejection of calling someone Father as if they were God, as was the custom for the Roman emperor. History and context matters.

They're n bed w/Putin

and russia is kind of a shithole.

:/

>implying anything like this has been done within the past 100 years

>"[God] Who will have all men to be saved, and to come to the knowledge of the truth." [1 Timothy 2:4]
>Desires all be saved
>Does not have moral obligation to correct an invalid interpretation

>Yet,
>John 3:3-5
>Corrects incorrect interpretation to Nicodemus

C'mon, Protestant. I thought you fellas were "Beyebal Chrishtuns"

Romans 11
>32For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.

>25For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.

humz

>blindness of the Jews for rejecting Christ
>until the fulness of the Gentiles come in [to the Body of Christ]
>speaking about the full conversion of the Jews won't occur until that unknown number of Gentiles has 'come in'
What's the confusion?

>10And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved. 11And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: 12That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

Humz

>Protestant theology didn't begin until the sixteenth century;

ITS A GOOD FUCKING THING I'M NOT PROTESTANT THEN, WOW. concerning the fact I take into things in the BC era, as well as the AD era, it makes your argument facile, and dishonest.

>In fact, St. Paul's recommendations to all are to remain celibate, and to remain single after losing a spouse

6 But I speak this by permission, and not of commandment.
2 Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband.

>The Greek word He uses here is "trogon" which literally means to gnaw, rip, and chew. Only then did he Jews truly understand what He meant, exclaiming "this is a hard saying" (John 6:61). Later completely leaving Christ (6:66) because of this.

this actually has to do with old testament tradition, animal sacrifice that was done for the remission of sin dictates you must eat the flesh of the sacrificed animal, christ was a sacrifice for the remission of mankinds sin, an OT law dictates you must eat it.

the bread, his flesh are teachings, and the blood is his spirit.

>I suppose, then, Jesus sinned.

there's a difference between a biological father and a spiritual father, calling priests "father" is a sin because it implies it in a spiritual, and not a biological sense.

Otherwise, there is literally no reason for him to mention "one" when speaking of wife. If he had said bishops MUST have one wife, that is a different story. He is simply disqualifying anyone to the ministry that is living in a polygamous "marriage."

this still disqualifies the catholic church for being in any way shape or form legitmate due to its ban on priests being able to marry. you have what I like to call a non-argument there Idolater.

Whelp, I'm off to start the day.

Oh you replied.

>>Corrects incorrect interpretation to Nicodemus

>1There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews: 2The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him. 3Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

>4Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born? 5Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. 6That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. 7Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again. 8The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

What happens here is in the spirit ,now crawl back in your mothers vagina after you ate the literal flesh of jesus

>ITS A GOOD THING I'M NOT PROTESTANT THEN
This is called cognitive dissonance. Utilizing the Bible that the Catholic Church put into canon, rejecting that authority, then being an ideological descendant of protestantism, and refusing the term Protestant.

>this actually has to do with old testament tradition...
Yes, it does. Christ's unbloody sacrifice, in the form of Holy Communion, in the Order of Melchizedek (sacrificed bread and wine). Still does not take from the fact that Christ used the literal word "trogon" to speak of ripping, gnawing, and chewing His flesh--which was abhorrent to the kosher Jews.

>there's a difference between a biological father and a spiritual father
>>St. Paul, inspired of the Holy Ghost, too.
>>"...follow the path of faith that our father [pater] Abraham walked..." Roman 4:12
Is Abraham not a spiritual father?
St. Paul calls himself a "father" when he had no children--a spiritual father.
>"...for I became your father [pater] in Christ Jesus through the gospel. Therefore, I urge you, be imitators of me. For this reason I am sending you Timothy, who is my beloved and faithful son in the Lord..." 1 Cor 4:15-17

The celibacy requirement is a Western discipline, which was spoken of and instituted by Our Lord.
>eunuchs for the kingdom

Stop privately interpreting and grasping at the straws that others have ignorantly drawn before you.
I'm off to begin my day.
May God convert you.

>9Nicodemus answered and said unto him, How can these things be? 10Jesus answered and said unto him, Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things? 11Verily, verily, I say unto thee, We speak that we do know, and testify that we have seen; and ye receive not our witness. 12If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things? 13And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven. 14And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: 15That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

>If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things?

bye

You see, in Orthodox history heresy is objective. The slavs were pagans, and as such, they had to convert to Christian in some way(at least that's what the Christians thought). It was a race between Byzantium and the Papal state(+HRE) to bring the cross to the slavs(Remember the schism wasn't a thing yet). While the western catholics carefully rooted out a lot of pagan traditions and Christianised a few(Christmas), the eastern Catholics didn't give much of a shit(except animal sacrifices and the other ridiculous things). Most importantly they couldn't force their language on the slavs, which led to them translating the Bible in their own languages. As a result, it turned into a huge mess with many rebellions so the pagans were just left alone until the old generations died and the new slowly became Christian.