Do you think that Scots is a language, or a dialect of English

Do you think that Scots is a language, or a dialect of English.

I'm still trying it figure it out for myself :/

Other urls found in this thread:

niassembly.gov.uk/globalassets/documents/general-information/language-leaflets/ulster-scots.pdf
clements.com/resources/articles/The-Most-Litigious-Countries-in-the-World
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Dialect.

It's for snp cunts to divide and conquer who are to lazy to learn gĂ idhlig.

A language called "Gay lick"?

Scotfag here.

Gaelic is a language, Scots is a dialect.

niassembly.gov.uk/globalassets/documents/general-information/language-leaflets/ulster-scots.pdf

This is an official government document in Northern Ireland.

it's gah-lick.

If Scots is a language, you may as well say that Scouse and Brummie are languages.

It's influenced by Scandinavian, e. g, "bairn" (barn) and "it's silin' doon" (silregn)

There's more an argument for Swiss or Tyrolisch to be languages rather than dialects, as they're further away from Hochdeutsch than Swedish, Norwegian and Danish are from each other.

Scots is a Germanic language like English. Think bobby burns

Some ha meat an canna eat and some wan meat an ha none etc etc. It's related but not identical to English

Gaelic is a Celtic language

English is a Germanic dictionary superimposed on Brytonnic grammar, or
>Germanic semantics
>Brytonnic syntax
That's why it doesn't sound German and you have to fuck around with verb order in translation (I speak both).
Now throw a third language - middle Irish - into the mix.

You need to consider that 'Scots' never spoke 'Scots'. Just as the Angles have always been a minority in Angleland (England), Scots have always been a minority in Scotland. The majority are Britons (Cymri in the southwest, Picts in the northeast) and Anglo-Saxons (Lothian, the southeast).
The Scots dominated from roughly the 9th century to the 11th, so the language of state was middle Irish (ancestor language of Scots/Irish Gaelic languages). Similar happened after the Norman conquest of England, when French became the language of state and many French words seeped into the general olde English lexicon.

Scotland, outside the 'Scottish' strongholds in Argyle, the Hebrides, and Ross, became 'anglicised' after the House of Dunkeld (David I) intermarried with the Norman nobility. So now you have an absolute cultural clusterfuck of a language in the south, ironically named after the only ethnic group that didn't speak it.

Tl:dr most Scots aren't 'Scots' and 'Scots' never spoke Scots.

Fuck me, you're a retard. Scots came to the fore when the Scots nobility married into or were replaced by Norman nobility and efforts were made to ridicule and ostracise Gaelic culture to undermine any Gaelic pretences to the throne. Read about why Macbeth (and I don't mean from Shakespeare) usurped the crown.
I don't like the SNP. They're worse than left. They're liberals. But preserving culture is fucking important. Knowing where you came from is important. If anything, rabid nationalists should hate Scots as a symbol of lost cultural independence, but the SNP support it nonetheless.
They aren't driving the revival though. That's been done by people in the arts and literature.

This. There's no "ay" sound in Scots Gaelic.

You can say that about old English too though. It's just germanic influenced in general.

Why is Old Scotland so much worse than New Scotland?

>Just as the Angles have always been a minority in Angleland (England)

Thats not true, the Angles were the biggest tribe and don't give me that meme shit about barely any DNA from them being in English people because that shit changes every 5 years and goes back to "yep the English are germanic" .

To an extent, yes. Doric is most influenced by old Norse. Doric is spoken in historically Pictish areas in the northeast. Scots has also been influenced by Doric, and some Doric words entered the general lexicon.

As I said above, Scots is a clusterfuck. It can't be traced to a single ancestor language, like Gaelic can be traced to middle Irish.

I speak Danish and have no problem conversing with Norwegians (their number system makes sense too), but I can't understand Swedes at all. I pick up some words but that's all. I don't know why. I know Danes and Swedes who converse with each other in their mother tongues and understand each other.

Germanic isn't the same as Anglo-Saxon

Gaelic is a Celtic language like Irish. The majority just speak English sounding like retarded Germans though.

garlic?

Think of a bad "Google Translate" attempt.
English is Brytonnic with all the words replaced by their Germanic counterparts, but the sentence structure unchanged.
That's why it seems so far away from German (and Brytonnic).
This is one of the main reasons we know the Saxons didn't ethnically cleanse all of the Cymri (Britons) in the south and east - their language survived and merged with that of the Saxons.

Are you seriously arguing that Angles outnumbered all the Britons put together, both Cymri and Picts, not to mention the Eireanne raiders (Scots) who invaded Cornwall, Wales, and Scotland at the same time as the Angles arrived?
You realise the Angles were *hired* by the Cymri to fight the Eireanne in Cornwall and Wales, and stayed on afterwards?
Strathclyde was part of Cumbria (Cymri-a, like Cymru i.e. Wales, land of the Cymri), or "The Old North". The Cymri invited an Eireanne tribe, the Dal'Riata, to displace the Cruithne (Picts) in Argyle, where the Dal'Riata founded a colony.

You're confused. I do this shit for a living...

There are more Scots in Nova Scotia than in Scotland (and more Gaelic speakers in Canada). Canada literally subsidises Gaelic medium education in Scotland.

Another observation. MacDonald is the most common 'Scottish' name in Scotland. There are more MacDonald's in the New York phone book than in Scotland, where it's the --9th-- most common name (well ahead of the next Scottish name in the list).
The Scots were ethnically cleansed after Culloden. That's why Nova Scotia exists.
Scotland being called Scotland is kind of like if the USA were called "The Sioux Nation" today.

thats a dialect. i can completely understand it it just sounds stupid, like ebonics

The English in the east and southeast are Germanic. The Cornish are Gaels (you've never seen "English Out" graffiti in Cornwall?). The English in the west (West Mercia and Cumbria) are Cymri/Britons i.e. Welsh.

That pattern extends into Scotland. Strathclyde is Cymric. The southeast (what used to be the northern half of the Anglo-Saxon Kingdom of Northumbria) is Anglo-Saxon with a Norse element. The northeast (formerly Pictland) is still Pictish (Britons).
>don't give me the DNA meme
DNA meme? What a dickhead you are. It's called empirical science. The genetic disposition of "Britain" was settled in the 9th century and any change since has been negligible (the Norman's were a tiny minority and had less impact than more recent south-Asian influxes).

FACTS DONT CARE ABOUT YOUR DESIRE TO BE HITLER'S CHOSEN

>Do you think that Scots is a language, or a dialect of English.
A tall pretty Scottish girl who grew up speaking Scottish Gaelic, who now speaks Scottish English, is my hardest diamond cutter. I got raging hard-ons just listing to her read the ingredients off the Mac & Cheese box. Could listen to bitch for hours, me smiling the whole time. I miss her pretty mouth.

>if the USA were called "The Sioux Nation" today.
Ironically, we are the "sue" nation:
clements.com/resources/articles/The-Most-Litigious-Countries-in-the-World

>Yer assemblie
>Wirkan fer you