People go to school for art

>people go to school for art
>people go to school for music
>people go to school for history, philosphy, women studies, etc.
>mfw

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Srinivasa_Ramanujan
youtube.com/watch?v=cLy0mVkoLio
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I have a Ph.D. in English literature, AMA.

why?

>people go to school to learn lesbian dance theory
Completely reasonable

>i read alot of books for my (((doctor))) title
what, was calculus 2 just too hard for you?

History fulfills undergrad requirements for law school. I will say philosophy is retarded though. Every philosophy major I've ever met has been a sorry sack of shit.

Because I was good at literary analysis or whatever, and I thought it would be good to be a professor.

But it was a mistake, and I'm not a professor.

>people go to school
when will degreefags learn

I was good at math, but it didn't mean anything to me. I didn't (and still don't) want a career working with knowledge/materials that I don't care about.

I have a real degree.

PhD in chemistry ask me anything.

music is actually incredibly fucking complex and hard

music academies are more male dominated than even STEM

general chemistry 2 was a fucking bitch and the only class i had to retake. why are all the tests so fucking stupid? they dont even ask questions to see if you know the material, its literally memorize math formulas for the entire fucking test.

all i have left is organic chemistry, but that seem easier than all the math and formula shit.

>music appreciation
>your homework is to listen to music
>hard
lmao.

But why do you need a degree in it?

Organic is way easier. It's why I became a chemist. Gen chem two was utter bullshit with rates and acid base equations and the professor could not be bothered to teach it properly or hold adequate office hours.

why was it a mistake and why arent you a professor?

>People who go to school for target practice

BA in theatre performance. Grew up being told to study what you love so is it really a surprise? Nobody wants to do Shakespeare anymore except for shitty community plays where no one cares or the few professional companies that are impossible to get roles at.

im a biomedical engineering major.
why do i feel so superior to all those faggot liberal art queers?
like this faggot

Went to school for music. Now play music for a living. Comfortable living too. You just have to be good or it's a waste of money.

Does your University force you take courses in theater or language and philosophy because if they didn't those programs would die due to cost?

Not sure if you noticed by art & music is used in advertising and all media, where you can make big money.

That shit doesn't happen by magic, people put work into it. Go to your grocery store and look down the aisle. Can you see the art & design surrounding you?

Probably not, because you don't seem very smart.

nah, transferring anyway, so all my electives are already done.
schools that make you take bullshit like gym need to fuck and kill themselves for being greedy jews.

>people go to school for math
>people go to school for chemistry
>people go to school for accounting, computing, calculus, etc.
>can't learn basic logic by themselves without a level 4 nerd explaining them despite books and tutorials everywhere
>mfw

Some of why it was a mistake has to do with it turning out to not be a great fit for me temperamentally or intellectually--or politically. For instance, I like memes and conspiracies and bullshit and dislike identity politics and all sorts of liberal nonsense.

But also, money-wise, it was a waste of time. And that's part of why I'm not a professor. Right now I'm just self-employed at internet stuff and make much more than I would as a junior professor.

So I'd be in much better financial and, probably, psychological shape if I not done the Ph.D.

you don't even understand the incredible complexity of music to grasp how wrong you are

you don't, in fact classically trained musicians are less likely to "make it" than your average rapper wannabe slinging around mixtapes, if it weren't for music lessons and weddings they would all fucking starve right out of college, but most I guess manage to get a job somewhere in the industry (backup/studio band, producing, sound design, etc.)

that's why I have so much respect for real musicians, it's not like history or literature students that delude themselves into thinking they'll somehow get into academia and land a prestigious position, people who study music do it out of pure passion and expect nothing out of it nor any recognition from the world

As much as I loved my undergrad experience I hate that the university as a whole went
>Take x number of credit hours in this irrelevant department
>X in that irrelevant department
>Oh and three semester levels of a forgien language in sequence.

That was a fuck ton of money wasted in books and tuition which luckily was mostly covered with some scholarships.

You don't go to music school for the degree, you go because university music is the best way to become a professional quality musician.

Only reason to go to college is for STEM fields. All others are parasites on society.

so what did they have you do that you didnt like and what do you do now that pays more?

you can't self teach math, engineering, and science and be able to 'prove it' in a job interview like you can with music or art where you can literally just go "here is my portfollio" filled with your work.

What was your dissertation about?

>you go to college for the atmosphere and the experience of meeting friends and going to parties and meeting a stupid girl and being a couple with her, and goign to african basket weaving together?
>$60K in student loans? whatever, that can wait until later
:^)

>you can't self teach math, engineering, and science and be able to 'prove it' in a job interview like you can with music or art
completely wrong you retard.

there's always working on your own projects.

not to mention that the worst case scenario with self teaching is going to college and getting an easy 4.0 out of it, its the least jewish option.

Except those majors actually prepare you for industries.

gay sex

Yeah, you are completely wrong. I have an 'engineering' portfolio including plant automation programs, a submersible spectrophotometer I developed from scratch, among other things.

>Except those majors actually prepare you for industries.
confirmed old faggot.

> you can't self teach math
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Srinivasa_Ramanujan

>engineering, and science
youtube.com/watch?v=cLy0mVkoLio

> and be able to 'prove it' in a job interview like you can with music or art where you can literally just go "here is my portfollio" filled with your work.
Lol wagecucks

>okay user what was you major?
i didn't buy into the jew propoganda, i didn't go to school
>... and what training do you have?
I taught myself everything i needed to know, trust me

that interview would go great
how the fuck do you demonstrate knowledge and skill in chemistry or biology? or engineering design

95% (as a lowball estimate) of professional orchestral musicians went to college for music. There's a reason for that.

>go to uni
>major in something meme-tier like sociology
>make $80,000 a year starting with plenty of opportunities in academia and government
>meanwhile welders are still only making 22,000 or maybe 25,000 tops starting and max out at 32,000 doing the same fucking thing for 40 years straight

People have different passions though, senpai.

If someone had forced me to be a STEM major I would have been miserable.

And you have to realize that the whole "STEMS-are-superior-intellectual-beings" thing is a meme, right? I mean, look around you, talk to different kinds of people.

So I wasted my GI bill on a shitty degree (psych) and I'm kind of thinking I might go back to get a degree in something I'm actually passionate about (fashion design). Would it be worth my time to get a double major in biology so I don't have my second degree be an arts degree?

my undergrad history degree costed about 200k. not a cent of debt, thanks mom and dad. stay mad, poorfags.

What exactly does a masters in chemistry prepare me for besides being a high school chemistry teacher?

I dropped out of college, took a long look at what I wanted in life, what I was good at, and what higher education had to offer me.
I came to the conclusion that the path of wizardry was right for me. Basic magic theory makes calculus look piss easy. University philosophers are like little children writing in the mud with sticks.

> "STEMS-are-superior-intellectual-beings" thing is a meme, right?
t. assblasted brainlet.
its no meme, i constanlty look down on anyone who isn't in the STEM field, and rightly so, all their classes are so fucking easy a monkey could pass them and as a result they are all fucking stupid

>I taught myself everything i needed to know, trust me
>and here are the open source projects I worked on.

you forgot that line faggot.

You would never even make it through the resume scanner of your schooling reads 'self taught'

It's not the STEM is 'intellectually superior'. It's that they are MERITABLY superior. STEM knowledge/education leads to tangible consumable increases in quality of life and standard of living for everyone. Refrigeration, Medicine, even basic shit like water treatment... STEM is the ONLY things that provide an ROI to society and are the ONLY degrees that should EVER be subsidized by society. The rest produce luxury and aesthetic bs.

sounds like your passion is being a useless member of society

not as mad as your parents when they consider the ROI of having you.

Yeah, the fact that the average Sup Forumstard declares himself as a STEM student shows the high levels of intelligence and critical thinking required for those fields.

lel they're not really worried about any sort of ROIs at this point, they're fucking loaded. stay assblasted.

Depending on the area of your expertise you would be higher than a technician or low-level operator up to anything below a research scientist. If you prove yourself really well and valuable the company usually accelerates your promotions to appropriate levels.

PhDs are creators or inventors of the company. Bachelor's are slaves or doers. Masters are in between, starting as a slave.

Depends on industry but that's my experience.

>2017
>still thinking jobs will exist in the future

ISHYGDDT

that's what makes bein a musician so hard, it's so easy to just produce sounds and imitate what you hear on the radio that the game is totally filled with white noise. But the blame doesn't entirely lie with us, to be fair, when all non-musicians want to hear is trap bangers and EDM.

everyone on Sup Forums is above average intelligence, though. we call everyone else normies for a reason :^)

Oh I dunno, producing new superior materials with higher strength/weight ratios that will eventually lead to a space elevator. Or being able to engineer and create new medicines and cures for shit like cancer, or other diseases. Or even something as basic as managing a peanut butter factory reactor. People are stupid as shit and have NO FUCKING CLUE what it takes to provide the lifestyle and standard of living they enjoy everyday without even thinking.

I taught myself how to potty. Everything has been a pizza cake after that!

the shit are you even saying? "open source project" buildings and lab research? are you retarded?
you know, actual scientific fields require machinery worth millions of dollars, not a paper and a pencil like the meme degrees do

Maybe in 30 years

Programming IS akin to writing magic spells..

I'm going to school for music education. I want to be a teacher. What's wrong with that?

>people go to school

you realize you can learn how to use all of that by reading the manuals just like everyone else does right?

you realize that shit is online right?

you realize there are books you can read to learn this for free right?

you realize there are youtube videos to learn as well right?

you realize there are certification tests that have nothing to do with college that you can take to prove that you know this right?

you realize you're a dumb lazy nigger faggot right?

go ahead and post anything you think only college can teach you.

and fwiw most interviews you get as a musician (outside of gigging) you have to be able read music on sight. so yes, you do need education.

2bh I still fuck up sometimes
>whip out dick to take a piss
>it hangs straight down and I piss inside of my shoes
>walk out of bathroom making SPLOOSH SPLOOSH noises

>managing a peanut butter factory reactor

I'm fucking laughing

That post really is the rub. You can work in really awesome industry and technologies, but most of the time, it's a dildo factory managing the cooling time of the silicone injector.

their sum total doesn't move you from the debt line to the credit line worthless fag.

Applying for PhDs in philosophy, AMA

>music
>teacher
why not just kill yourself now and save everyone 30 years?
those are both fucking terrible.
teachers are like the least respected, least paid, most cut jobs that exist.

This was the most ignorant thing I've read all week. Also,

>music appreciation

Said nobody

I'm in trig right now....looking forward to calc. I want to know derivatives!!!

Economics major here. Daily reminder to you fat autistic virgin neet armchair doctorates to kill yourselves.

serious qt freckles

i-is this CP?
MUH JERB!!!!!

>Economics major here.
imagine being so stupid you fell for the jewconomics meme.

you're studying a solved field and you're too dumb to figure it out.

So, you're 18 and don't have a job

Fucking kek I swear. I have a broken ankle and the laugher this post produced put me in pain from the shaking

Sad but true. Somebodies got to make the dildo's for all the SJW lesbians.... OMG I JUST REALIZED OUR HIDDEN WEAPON

well fortunately i'm pretty sure i'll have lifetime earnings of over 200k lmao, don't worry about it. and if i hypothetically were to turn into a bum and make no money ever but live solely as a leech, i'd probably still have more in savings than you, simply due to the diligence of my parents. feelsgoodman.

Don't want to get into specifically what I do now. For reference/information, though, starting tenure track professors in the humanities make $45k-$65K a year, slightly more at very elite universities. It's not a lot of money for the years of study and asskissing that it takes to get there.

What they made me do: well, aside from asking me to care a lot about every kind of divergent cultural identity and every last intricacy and difference that attaches to these...academic work in English is actually quite tedious and boring. Being a "professional" in your field is about looking very analytically at tiny questions and then writing perfect arguments about them. And I found that that wasn't for me. I was being pushed to suck the life out of the literary works that I liked.

One can be "creative" in humanities studies as an undergrad, but as a grad student, it's actually completely the opposite.

sounds like you still don't understand the most basic things in the scientific and industrial communities, you can't just walk up to a company and say "trust me I've read books, now make me a laboratory research project manager"
or I guess you can if you want people to laugh at you, you have to prove that you're qualified and there's no "open source" autism projects where you can just randomly join in and develop a new 3D printer

go back and """"""study"""""" """"""""""art""""""""""""" autist

>you have to prove that you're qualified and there's no "open source" autism projects where you can just randomly join in and develop a new 3D printer
imagine being this retarded.

you still havent posted anything that you can ONLY learn at university.

Bad LARP is bad.

Programming things is repeatable, logical, consistent, and scientific. It doesn't really agree with me.
>radio shorts out to static/resets stations
>lightbulbs burn out
>motion detectors go batshit and fry

You should go outside and get off Sup Forums. I can tell that your world view is incredibly ignorant.

It would have been a lot better received if it was about gay sex.

It was actually about a gay poet, and I had to answer lots questions about why I wasn't talking about his gayness more.

Like if it would have been about him having gay sex, and all the different ways he was gay and the different types of gay sex he had...it would probably be published now.

>Being a "professional" in your field is about looking very analytically at tiny questions and then writing perfect arguments about them. And I found that that wasn't for me. I was being pushed to suck the life out of the literary works that I liked.
example?

You are absolutely right. If you want to be employed in a large company just get a degree. Any fucking degree, it doesn't really matter what it is.

STEMlord can't handle the truth. i had the good fortune of being able to study whatever i wanted as an undergrad because finances will never be an issue for me, ever. you're just gonna have to deal with it.

Drudge work in a Jew pharma company.

My dude, english departments are literally bolshevik hives. If you still want to be involved in academia, just accept that the university holds the same status as it did in the 17th and 18th centuries--a joke. Join the republic of letters and try to get published.

That's sad man.

sure you don't need a university if you have a billion dollars on your bank account and can fund building multiple laboratories and have contracts with companies in the industry
because that's what universities in science fields are, research institutes with expensive equipment that train you in an industry
I guess it must be hard to imagine for someone in some meme degree where universities are rooms in a close with one old guy talking and that's it
a bsc generally has the purpose of showing that "I'm not a retard I can see a project through over the years" and not much else, an msc and then a phd says "I'm an expert in this field, employ me"

This is actually a very interesting discussion. With the ability and cost-effectiveness of online learning, being able to create tests that do prove your knowledge base without having to pay through the nose for an accredited institution MIDDLE MAN would vastly cheapen education and open it to far more people that have the intellectual potential, if not the economic-socio potential.

>sure you don't need a university if you have a billion dollars on your bank account and can fund building multiple laboratories and have contracts with companies in the industry
so you havent found shit? neat

protip: all of those expensive machines have manuals that are online you faggot.

the theory behind them is also in books you can read for free, they arent going to tell you exactly how that million dollar machine works whether you're in university or not faggot.