How did YOU survive the 2008 mega-recession?

How did YOU survive the 2008 mega-recession?

Oldfags get the FUCK in here

>Republican president elected
>Short the entire market
>Make massive profit
It couldn't be easier.

you dont even have a brokerage account. stfu faggot.

A shit tier job. It was pretty fucking terrible.

My family got richer during the recession. Great times.

Kinda left the workforce. Went underground, advance-fee scams on seniors, collections, got stuck on stupid until 2013. Long hazy time of tequila, multiple fun trashy girlfriends, etc.

Survived, just remember to adapt. Don't stay with what you know if you are going broke. Go straight commission, sell drugs, do anything to stay alive.

Lost everything, Then hunkered down and waited for the storm to pass.

RIP to those who did not survive

Stayed living at home with my parents and saved money

Sold drugs and scammed money from stupid women. It was a pretty good time, honestly.

comfy job cucking for the jew neo-cons.

not gonna post sauce. it was a boring monkey-tier job.

I was in highschool during that time, but I began applying for part time jobs shortly after the recession, 2011 - now. Shits terrible, almost nobody in town ever hires anyone new. I'm on my two weeks notice at my current job because they are a small mom and pop store and can't keep up the payroll. Im probably just going to be a full time student here on out.

I continued working. Didn't lose a penny and had no debt. Everything turned out fine for me.

Most of my clients were real estate and builders. When the market tanked I lost over 50% of my income. Took several years but my partner and I created a new market and I'm back to making what I was in 2008 whit a client base that is market-proof.

Just landed a job as a law enforcement officer at a national level corps that summer.

I have improved quite a bit since then, even with the pay reduction we got back in ¿2010?

I was in the military and got out with no savings because I was a retarded young fag who didn't realize how shitty it was. Then I worked 3 jobs while in college w/gi bill. Pizza delivery, retail, and tutoring...

Graduated. Worked at shit adult job while delivaring pizza PT. Debt even with those jobs.

Finally got good paying job now God Emporer is in charge. Still delivar pizza because I like money and it goes to retirement.

Also, I went to sams club or Costco on sample days and into wedding expos because free food... saved me cashu

I was in Iran

>Business goes belly up
>Had to sell the house
>Couldn't repay money to some people so had to flee the country
>Wagecucked since then
JUST

I was 10 lol

I worked in finance. It didn't end well.

was a writer in a small industry that tanked
said fuck this and got a science education, now a scientist

I got hit so fuckin hard it fucked my lifr up for good

>be me 18 at the the time
>get lucky with a concept artist job
>promised 2 more year contract after my time
>recession hits the ppl need let off due to budget
>gets fired instead goes to south to make new life
>they get hit few months after the north did
>they reform laws on irish citizenship even when my family live there
>told to back to where i came from even when i have no where
>stay at my mothers for 4 years as a non citizen
>sofa surf to this day as a bum in all my friends and family
>diversity quotas prevent me from gettin a good job again

To this day im no one wanted by no one just seen as in the way, why even live.

Life*

Serves you right, micks are subhuman

I can't picture how bad that was. I got laid off as a min wage intern for a bank lol.

I kind of didn't.

I didn't

Im 29, have a worthless degree (graduated with honors though), and have never made more than a few dollars above minimum wage. Currently unemployed, and living with mom and dad. No friends and a kissless virgin.

I'd rather just not work than continue with the dead end jobs. I can't stand working some dead end job where my boss is some brain dead 22 year old that gets paid $15/hour just because he's spent more time there than me and knows some people.

Serve me right? For being loyal to my country or when i moved to the south and being shun for being from the north.. You make no sense storm nigger proxy flag fag

>Finished school.
>Instantly recession.
>Break my fumerus/thigh.
>Cripple for years.
I kind of got destroyed by it.

I graduated college just as shit was hitting the fan. I took a shit job doing shit pay in a shitty segment of the industry I studied.
I was poor as fuck with student loans that I'm still paying off, but I learned to be happy even when poor.

moronic

Older fag here.

Greentext story

>Graduated from engineering in 2008
>Recession hits and everything goes completely belly up
>No jobs anywhere, government job I was set to get disappears due to hiring freeze
>End up on the dole for a bit
>Have to move back in with parents
>Work at a shit job for one year
>Move abroad (Leafland) and manage to get work experience as an engineer
>Move back home and take masters in engineering
>Economy has picked up and now gainfully employed

To anyone out there who feels completely hopeless in the economy right now, hang in there. I know what it is like to feel like you have done everything you are supposed to do to get a job but are still hung out to dry. Don't ever feel like any job is beneath you when these times come. It taught me a very valuable life lesson and I am incredibly meticulous with my money now. I do not trust Irish banks and never will. Oddly enough the Canadian banking system is much more secure due to some government backing it has on accounts so I still manage to maintain some of my saved income there. I also refuse to go into debt at all, including a mortgage.

The merchant is truly heartless and will take everything it can from you.

To me it never happend.

leached off my parents because i was still in middle school and early high school

I was 14 years old. Loved with my parents. My dad worked in the pharmaceutical/medical industry which was stable

>itt people get fucked by a republican president's recession
>itt they're still republican

The only problem was that my work hours were reduced for a year or so, but not really by much. Bought stocks from the company I worked for (automotive industry) and invested in some of the German car manufacturers that were "certain" to get their asses saved by the government.

You think i should try again with the south irish bro

Fuck that sucks. What did you tell future employers durring interviews about your internship experience?

I believe in you, remember even if you feel down you're from based norn Ireland so all is well

Silicon Valley working for literal Jew companies.
Left when it became bloated and fat.

>do construction
>be good at what you do
>rich people still spend money during a 'recession'

I'd been listening to people like peter schiff since early 2000's and when bear sterns went to shit I moved to all cash, as did most of my family.

When the market crashed I averaged down to get back in.

My one fucking regret was not buying ford when it was around a dollar a share. That fucking retarded Chris Dodd kept talking about nationalizing the car companies so I didn't pull the trigger on that. Oh well.

If you have an engineering degree you'd likely be sorted at this point. There has been a lot of companies expanding and if you are willing to move anywhere in the south for work you'll be fine. I'm currently at a plant in Cork and it was easy enough to get on. Be wise about it and look into whether you can save money or not. Forget about buying a house though, it is headed for another bubble. We are repeating the same mistakes as before, and the banks are already back to throwing out loans to anyone.

>the president matters

Lurk moar you stupid fucking faggot.

What's moronic about that?

Where are all the opportunities shithead?

I've also been diagnosed with major depression and social anxiety disorder.

I could perform well in better jobs, but nobody gives me a chance because I'm a shaky, sweating, trembling mess during interviews.

Now is your time to buy into oil company stocks, Ameribro. Think about it this way, if war breaks out in the Middle East or with Russia, the price of oil will skyrocket. With neocons still at the helm, you know it will happen.

Have you tried cleaning your room?

Pulled out and liquidated fairly quickly. Income stayed the same; self employed.

I was in undergrad.
Joined gradschool right after getting my bachelor's.

I was done and waited out the storm while the country burned then got it's economic shit together for my PhD and job there after.

Funny, I had thought that as well. But the world is swimming in oil at the moment. Exxon might be a good play.

This.
Or the banks stocks. Damn it.

>be me
>work in banking
>recession hits
>be in essential part of bank operations at head office
>actually got promoted during recession
>top kek @ poor faggots struggling cause of recession.

Get on my level plebs

I remember it well and i tell ye now that was no accident and if there doin the same thing then fuck it im goin near the south, government get away with faaar too much and the banks are scum.

Recession proof job and no property.

my dad made a ton of money of it

Thanks for the constructive advice.

You're just a big bully and don't care.

I hid out in college but everything was still shit when I graduated so then I joined the military. I can't wait for the next crash I've got my cash all lined up ready to go, gonna set myself up for life.

>At the moment.

Now imagine how quickly that would change if Saudi and Iran got into any type of conflict, or if Russia got attacked by the USA.

If you have the money and patience you know it will pay off. Play the long game, and don't anticipate a quick return, but a massive long term return later.

I know. J.P. Morgan or Goldman would have been nice.

I couldn't believe how many of my younger colleagues sold at the bottom and cashed out their 401k.

You think I am bullying you? I am serious. How do you expect to be able to tackle any of the problems you have in life if you can't even muster the time and effort to organize your own personal living space? You want a place to start getting your shit together? Well that's it.

Your right it's a great bet long term. They literally pump money out of the ground.

>had a job
>lost job
>live off savings for a year
>get a job a year later
>have job now
I dunno really

Degree in what

THIS. I wept on my engineering degree and I worked retail for three years, then a shitty data entry, then warehouse manager, and now I'm back at an engineering firm which started just weeks after Trump descended his golden escalator.
Feels MAGA as fuck man.

You probably need an IQ of at least 115 to know how to handle yourself in the stock market at the most basic level (like not selling during a crash if you don't have to, and not buying at record high prices). They're better suited to buying real property and perhaps starting a small business.

My room is clean.

I'm not some extreme PEE PEE POO POO case.

I've been to a half dozen interviews this year. I couldn't even get an unpaid internship in a law office even though I met ALL of the criteria.

Why should I even bother anymore?

>fumerus

They do. Now imagine if all of a sudden the country responsible for running those pumps got most of its infrastructure wiped out by the country next door, who also runs its own pumps and had its infrastructure knocked out. All of a sudden there would be a short supply of the sweet sweet liquid money.

Never forget that they are also life long enemies based on an age old religion. Its not a matter of if but when.

I was 20 when it happened.
>mfw I'll never work in 07 again

If you are not a professional investor you will be beat by the market. Just buy vanguard index funds. Buy vanguard total market, do not try to time it. Just buy a bit every month. This is the only investment advice you need

>PEE PEE POO POO
>Calling me a bully.

I am beginning to see why you're not getting hired on. Have you ever tried going out and meeting people? Oddly enough that is what worked for me after getting rejected for countless jobs. What type of degree or diploma do you have? Have you joined any networking groups related to that?

I went to an engineering presentation at a local college after I got back and met the person who hired me that way. The fact that you're on pol makes me want you to succeed.

I was working for a large corporate.

>Short a market for 8 years

Investing punishes emotional thinking more than it rewards strictly high IQ.

Was in college, parents were rich.

Feels good.

Made a lot of money both ways in 2008. Trading was insanely good in 2008. And then I bought everything pennies on the dollar. Too bad I sold everything a few years ago. Hopefully we crash again. The same stupid fucks determine the US economic policy with no tweaks. The next one will be even worse. In 2008 it was just banking fraud. Now it's government fraud. The fall out will be bigger and government will be incapacitated. On the downside there will be massive seizures to pay for government budget, so I don't want to be here when fall out happens.

I didn't. Graduated in 2008 and never found a real job because I'm a beta that couldn't compete in the hyper competitive job market at the time.

>Graduate college at end of 2007 with a degree in Business Administration from an okay CSU with an ok 3.2gpa
>Moved back to Bay Area to an abysmal job market
>Not finding a single job in the field I'm interested in (marketing) as savings continue to run out
>Decide to eat shit and start working as a barista at a trendy coffee shop
>All the coffee I could ever drink, skimming money from register, cash tips, eating free food to save cash
>Working with qt3.14 18 year old girls all day
>Sold car, ride bike everywhere to save more money and stay healthy
>Improve people skills due to talking to people all day every fucking day, flirt with milfs, try to make the most of it
>Rapidly promoted to store supervisor in a few months since everyone else is lazy/stupid/liberal arts major
>Spend as much time chatting up successful people, give them free coffee, make some connections, grill them on what they look for when hiring entry level shitheads like me
>Use spare time to research, study and learn as much about current marketing tech/lingo/agencies etc..
>Use what I've learned and make up a fake marketing company and mix it into my resume along with other half truths
>Apply to jobs every single day
>Do well in interviews because of constant human interaction
>Get an entry level, 1099 contract position with a very small marketing firm
>Work my way up to a nice position at an established international agency
>Hate every day of it and show my penis to the company president at the holiday party
>Currently co-founder of a successful company I'm proud of and don't have to eat shit anymore

The lesson is, when things get tough you're probably going to have to eat a lot of shit. Don't be too good to eat shit.

Same, I had enough saved to keep me alive for a year.

Better question is how are you going to survive the 2017 Recession

But you're alive so you did survive.

>How did YOU survive the 2008 mega-recession?

I didn't. I'm now a spirit stuck in the net.

Am I really alive?

Did a startup in my garage for 4 years with zero pay, diminishing my savings but I made it to product launch. Mined a few thousand bitcoins early. The company now has 200 employees and Is worth close to 100 mil. I have differennt sugar babies for each night of the week and Only drink carbonated water now.

Was 19 and just opened my first brokerage account.

Shrugged off the recession and joined the air force.

Put my life savings into the market and continued to contribute through my enlistment. Rode up the greatest bull market in history.

Had 80k when I got out and bought a condo.

I was at Beijing Olympics cheering forr TEAM CHINA

Surely you found a job by 2008?

I feel pretty shitty right now. I have an MBA and an Engineering degree and I can't find any kind of work.
I may have to take a really low paying job if I get lucky with an interview tomorrow.
Thanks for the advice Danny Boy.

>shorting when the market is short
Guess how I know you don't know about economics.

Downsized my house from a 4600 sq ft house with a 8 car garage on an acre in a nice part of the city to a 1200 sq ft house on a large bit of land in the country, sold off a fuckload of high quality vintage guitars and amps. Im happier now with my living situation, I always hated having such a huge house. Getting a divorce hurt a lot more than the recession.

crushing ceridt card debt.

Showed up to work. Worked 6 days a week.

Move to Ireland. With your level of education you will find something in your field to get your experience up. You can then move back to the USA and get in with a higher paying/lower taxed job. Also try joining engineering networking groups, going to engineering presentations at local schools, engineering expos that are in your area, anything you can to meet people in the industry. Look presentable. Don't be afraid to make the first move and shake some hands. Being nervous and shaking a hand is better than standing there with your hands in your pockets, leaving the place and wondering what could have happened.

Why not join the forces? With those quals you'll walk straight into an officer job and climb the ladder quick. Even with a minimum stint it looks really good on your CV for future employment.

>Hate every day of it and show my penis to the company president at the holiday party
wut?

Lost my great grandfather's family farm.

lol what?

but ya same thing worked three fucking shit jobs at a time like 90 hour weeks. Sold my fucking house, moved to colorado, bought a new house got back into my field around 2014 when things started really picking up again, finally back to six figures.

Better question is how to survive next one, which will be much worse.

The 2008 recession was actually the largest crime ever committed, 4 tillion gone and no one is done for it.

Same senpai a lam, went from generic cereal to organic foods and skiing vacations, just buy whenever everyone dumps, if things get really bad no ammount of money will help anyone, so its best to wait it out.