California is showing signs of an upcoming 'Big One' earthquake

washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/earthquake-experts-wonder-whether-southern-california-is-next/2017/02/09/4e2bf834-e31a-11e6-a547-5fb9411d332c_story.html

>A swarm of minor earthquakes in September 2016 led the state to convene an emergency session of California’s earthquake prediction evaluation council.
>What they saw from the seismographs was alarming: One sequence of the swarm had come to within about six miles of the terminus of the southern portion of the San Andreas fault.
>Having a swarm of significant quakes occur so close to the terminus of the fault was worrisome. The northern portion of the San Andreas was responsible for the earthquake that devastated San Francisco in 1906. But the southern portion, which runs within 3o miles of Los Angeles, has not caused a quake in several hundred years. There is a growing worry that this quietude is unlikely to last.

ocregister.com/2017/03/10/what-are-the-chances-of-a-major-earthquake-in-southern-california/

>The U.S. Geological Survey 2014 earthquake forecast indicates that the likelihood of a moderate earthquake – between magnitude 6.5 and 7.5 – has decreased, but the chance of a higher-magnitude quake in the region has increased.

How do you feel that the entire state of California could be utterly destroyed at any given time, and it's becoming increasingly likely?

Other urls found in this thread:

washingtonpost
archive.is/1vBzY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>washingtonpost com/national/health-science/earthquake-experts-wonder-whether-southern-california-is-next/2017/02/09/4e2bf834-e31a-11e6-a547-5fb9411d332c_story.html
archive.is/1vBzY

Does this mean Soviet Commiefornia falls into the ocean now? PLEASE LET THIS HAPPEN!

It will happen tomorrow.

>screencap this

Someone posts this thread every year.

>no digits
>no happen

>calicuck refugees

pls no

Earthquakes in California.
Who would've guessed?

that's what they get

>earthquake forecast

R A R E
A
R
E

Learn2swim

I can't wait for Escape From LA to become reality.

The eclipse is coming.

Cali fag here, I agree it seems like we have been dodging bullets for some time now, it's one of those things where nothing happens for a long time, so the next one must be bad, but I thought nobody can predict this type of things?

>How do you feel that the entire state of California could be utterly destroyed at any given time
You say this as if it's a bad thing.

They have been saying the same crap since the northridge quake. It's just more speculative fear-mongering nonsense to keep people distracted.

>Cali has earthquake.
>All Californians die.
>The USA is saved.
My body is ready, bring it on.

I go to school out in SoCal, feelsbad

In sixteen days, when Amun-Ra sits upon the height of his pass above the tainted bear, so will he cast judgement on the unworthy; and the laughter of mighty Geb will deliver.

>on vacation in Sonoma County so please not right now
>also never because don't won't Commie scum invading my state

Unironically what did he mean by this?

Thoth agrees

California can't be lost the US the entire midwest and south can go but not Cali it's too important economically.

>California will surely get hit by the big one this month, says increasingly nervous flyover fag for the 7th time today

Spotted the Democrat.

south california living, shit stinking, mouth breathing moron spotted.

>muh almonds

please kek, destroy california and all degenerates who live there

stay mad hick

Spotted the Sup Forums-propaganda-munchers. Are you really so spoonfed that statistics like "giving more money to the federal gov't than is receieved" mean nothing to you?

Are you really such morons that a sunny state with agriculture and technology, rolling hills and large cities, snow and beaches seems like a bad place to live? Are you so brainwashed that the thought of living around people who think differently causes you to break out in hives?

Better break open your Sup Forums-approved comeback and "evidence" folder for why happy Californians are evil fools that have worse lives than you.

Feelsgoodman. Fuck liberals

just stop it. not likely to happen in the next hundred years. its like saying we'll be hit by a gamma ray burst, nothing will matter because it means we'll be extinct

Please let them secede before this happens so they lose US citizenship.

The money there is simply because it's the location of business HQs, which would hop ship to their East Coast HQs if they felt the threat was critical. Same with the Silicon Valley shit simply shuffling upto Seattle where they have plenty of tech ventures anyway. The Agriculture would temporarily be a loss but it would be a trade of that to get rid of the Fleas that inhabit the urban centers that are literal shitholes that have been lingering on life support. The prot cities can be rebuilt in a better and more efficient manner after the happening, depending on the changes in landscaape it also might mean more viable farmlands

We should be so lucky...

I hope it kills them all.

commiefornian here. it cant come soon enough.

Reminder that the New Madrid and Wabash Valley Seismic zones will produce a catastrophic earthquake, likely within our lifetime

I hope not I just bought a house and I live on the line

Good. I can't fucking wait for LA to go under and watch all the plastic fuckers float on the top.

You can still observe data and asses the situation based on actual information and previous experience

Fugg D:

Came here to post this
I HAVE A SUGGESTION TO KEEP YOU ALL OCCUPIED

California has been waiting for the big one for nearly 30 years. It'll happen when it happens, until then le earthquake forcast habbenings are no better than le yellowstone volcano habbenings

I hope, getting tired of acid attacks on thots

Commiefornia is 30% and those ones are SJW brain washed idiots I say to KEK bring it on.

It's happening boys

This-I'm in SD, when will we clean up the streets?

This is bad, there will be a great migration of Californians throughout the rest of the 49 states. This will be worse than the fall of Gadaffi

You realize you're waiting for an impossibility, right?

>Big one happens
>Leftists get out because they can't work to repair damaged infrastructure
>Housing prices drop
>California starts going red again
Best timeline desu.

California will fry on a Friday. Be safe out there.

This, memes aside. I'm actually making a good living for the first time in my life. It would only make sense California would fuck it up for me.

Good. Get rid of all these leftover dustbowl refugees that have been shitting the state up for almost 100 years.

you a geologist? there some continental collision, volcanoes or a huge strike slip type fault.

I've been watching earthquake patterns for 15 years. Since the drilling in OK, Cali has had fewer big ones... I truly believe that the drilling has created a shock absorber for the West coast... now about that iceberg last week - crazy southern earthquake patterns I had never seen...

Longer than 30 fucking yours, you fucking retard. They've known the destructive power of the San Andreas since the area was first being settled, and earthquakes were recorded. The 1868 quake was a 6+ quake, that was well known across the country, and the 1906 quake in SF is the one that made scientists start investigating. The San Andreas was identified in 1895, and a scientist in 1953 revealed that the fault ran for hundreds of miles more than suspected, so they've been well aware of the destructive power of the San Andreas since 1906, and the extent of the potential damage for over 60 years.

May the confirmation of KeK be found within my integers.

No.

The San Andreas is a slip-fault. Qukes in the midwest would have no effect on it - especially with those little things called the Rockies between the two locations.

You're making up correlations where there are none. Go study geology for real. It's an interesting topic and field, and then you won't make unrealistic and flawed comments like this.

>trying to imagine all the pussies in silicon valley getting confused as to how to survive. lol

I live in ca and i agree... it would be the biggest exodus of morons... one sympathizes.

>entire state of California could be utterly destroyed
in your dreams flyover states

thanks in advance for all your tax dollars in the form of disaster relief funds to save the 6th largest economy in the world

LEARN TO SWIM MOTHERFUCKERS.

Something I've observed... studied some geology but not as much as I'd like to have time for... as for the Rockies- I was thinking it could be a craton based anomaly... thoughts?

I hope all of LA goes underwater.

Pro: Hundreds of thounsands, if not millions of C*lifornians die
Con: Millions of C*lifornian refugees

I'll bet my hopes on a bigger catastrophe.

California needs some judgment
Shit of a place to live

>Millions
lol
Honest who would die in such a massive quake? Mostly the low income living in ghettos or antiquated houses. The silicon valley elite would be quite safe in their space age offices and hover houses.

Oakland would be a garbage fire.

I live in a techie area (RTP), and we had a hurricane when I was little that knocked the power out for two weeks. Fucking autistic yuppies couldn't make a fire in the fire place. They almost died en mass from complete inability to survive without electricity. Combine that with roaming hoards of spics and dindus in California and we've got a comfy happening.

Them digits

More pls

I've been to California a number of times for both work and pleasure (Yosemite valley only), but I have to say that the southern portion of the state is an absolute shithole. I love most americans (except jews and niggers, obv), but the people of S. Cal are probably the most fucking retarded pieces of shit I've ever had the misfortune of coming in contact with.
You deserve everything coming to you, CA. Eat. Shit.

>California
>Soviet
All Californians would be shot in USSR.

Oh fugg

>>agriculturally only possible by irrigation. South cal would be desert otherwise

>Digits

As a white man in the heart of Nogland I do hope that doesn't happen in my lifetime or at least that it happens once I've escaped this Africanized hellhole.

>Oakland would be a garbage fire

And nothing of value was lost

I'm saying that since the drilling in OK, we've had less big ones in Cali. My hypothesis (completely untested) is that when Cali is "hit" the shock is being absorbed in the mid West.
Possibly the craton (edge of Rockies to east coast) is less stable, less rigid now, and is able to give a little during those shocks.

Can you guys even imagine 2020 if all the dems abandon california after a big quake?
Democrats take cali going blue for granted, then just as the final tallies are coming in a giant bastion of red takes shape on their election map.

>earthquake
>mass death
>looks like trump won popular vote after all

Norcal here. Please God, please sink that cancerous shit into the ocean with no survivors.

But to answer your question, maybe more than you think
You still have to factor in the aftermath, i.e floods, pipelines bursting, power loss, displacement. Not all deaths would result directly from the quake (clearly)

Mostly true. The port is crucial. If something big enough happened I'd expect martial law to keep the port and major arteries in operation.

Hayward here

Have my bug-in bag ready, and a good amount of 5.56 for when the nigger-raiderclans start getting sassy. Assuming my house doesn't fall into the hills.

State of Jefferson?

rell!!!

If the LA riots taught us anything it's get in with the Koreans.

I feel happy that it will probs kill bad hombres but I'm a good hombre (actual Latino) and I'm sad I'll be thrown in the mix of the dead. :( It was nice being here, pol)

Finally God will punish americans for creating Rap.

The New Madrid Fault zone is a remnant, or a scar, of the contintent-shaping events in the early history of the planet. They're in the middle of the north american plate, and have no connection to any other fault lines, and the area of impact of it is limited to the states on top of it. It's simply a weakness in the crust in that area. The San Andreas is part of the movement of teh North American plate and the Pacific plate. The impact of quakes in Japan have no effect on quakes in Alaska, or California, even though they all border the Pacific plates. For the New Madrid to generate enough energy to effect the movement of the North American plate vs. the Pacific plate...the energy would need to be so enormous, it's literally planet-threatening.
I'm sure you entertain yourself looking at dots on maps, but you have to study what's actually going on mechanically, and understand things like tectonics, to understand what's going on, and how what you're making up is literally impossible.

I mean, you do understand what an earthquake is, right? I have this feeling you don't.

Best Scene in Superman(1978)

>tons of far left tards disappear
>gun laws start to get fixed
>car laws are less nazi tier
>housing prices drop

neat

rap was started in new york city

forgot pic

Again, that's literally impossible. Go back to looking at dots on maps, and leave the science to those who understand it.