What does Sup Forums think of common core?

What does Sup Forums think of common core?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DW0VxxoCrNo
m.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=9x^2 / 3x&x=0&y=0
m.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=9x^2 / (3x)&x=0&y=0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Designed to confuse and to make education relative/arguable to better manipulate how different demographics are marked. IE a white male can be penalised for not showing emotions in their math solution, but a black girl can get full marks for a blatantly wrong answer.

It's Marxism. No doubt.

People trying to make excuses because they don't understand how to use parenthesis.

>people still don't know this image is fake

Fuck...not this thread again...

What was the old way? Because according to the answer the old way is wrong.

>the old way
I'm pretty sure that's 16. Also fuck this thread for making me doubt my skills in performing basic arithmetic

Sage.

You multiply the 2*2 which is 4. You then multiply the 5*4, which is 20, then divide 20 by 20, which is 1

treating the equation as a fraction as opposed to seeing "/" as just "divided by".

I thought "the old way" would get you 16...

Dont worry it will only be posted another 46 times.

No you don't.... This is not how order of operations work in the slightest to simplify it looks like this.

20/5 (2 * 2)
20/5 * 4

then simply work left to right because multiplication and division hold the same place in operation.
4 * 4 = 16

>wat is pedmas
Answer is 16, I haven't read anywhere that 4(4) comes before 5/4. Just because you don't have the * between the 4 and parenthesis, it doesn't mean it magically becomes of higher priority. If you want it to be of higher priority, you use parenthesis, that's what they are for. Another method would be to rewrite it as a fraction, with 5(2*2) being on the denominator. A missing * doesn't mean jack shit. Answer is and always will be 16.

You would never write the question like that if you had any sense as its to ambiguous.

>multiplication and division hold the same place in operation

No they don't.

>pedmas
It's PEMDAS not PEDMAS you retard

Yes they do you fucking retard

they're order-equivalent operations. they get performed left to right regardless.

> not bedmas

Why would it not be written as either of these two?

I was taught it was Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally
So PEMDAS not PEDMAS
I'm also southern GA so I blame my shitty teachers if I've done it wrong this whole time.

ITS BEDMAS FAGGOT

Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally

I don't remember the left to right rule.

We need a mathematicianfag to confirm.

The whole "addition to do subtraction" is honestly how I do it.

Say it's something like 433-198. I estimate what I need to add to 198 to get to 433. I start with 200 (which makes 398), then add 2 (to get 400), then add 33. My answer is 200+2+33 = 235.

murican education

bitchy edrogan die manlet asshole stuffer

The answer is 1. PEMDAS and any answer other than 1 is wrong. Dumb fucks.

bedmas

Brackets motherfucker

I am a mathematician-fag. if you never learned the left to right rule, you had a shit teacher.

Please Eradicate My Deficient Asshole Syrup-sucker.

It's 16 BODMAS

I stopped using * and started using 'x' again. We're on Sup Forums, I think you know why this would make sense.
Failure to change back shows us who you are and why you won't.

Fuck I laughed, you win fuck head

Its PE(MD)(AS)

Multiplication/Division and Addition/Subtraction are the same step.

Please
Export
More
Dirty
Ass
Spics

i add 2 to both numbers then subtract

Poopoo

mathematicianfag, it's true. same way that addition and subtraction are order-equivalent.
For it to be 1 it would have to be 20/(5(2*2))

op's image is a well known fake

Hey, fuck you. Also, I don't use this in my day job so naturally I might forget. That's why you're a mathematicianfag so you can count cards and shop at K mart.

Also, why'd you focus on me instead of BTFO'ing the OP's image with your brilliant knowledge (which I asked for)? Priorities mother fucker. I'm not the bad guy here.

Physics fag here. It's 16. Refer to my other post.

Exactly - their notation is ambiguous, and ambiguous definitions are non-mathematical.

P.S. Learn LaTeX - it's easier than you think.

Niggers and mathematics:

1 = 16

Do you all not see that "the old way" means the correct way? 16 is the common core answer as in wrong.

Mathematicianfag. Left to right rule on multiplication and division.

I love how our math education has gotten to the point where this literally 6th grade (if that) math has be debated now. Wtf is going on

Because we have accepted conventions that give one solution.

I'm sorry you couldn't pass 3rd grade.

It's called being out of school for a while and focusing on chasing other bullshit which drags us away from basic, important things. Working for the man can do that to you.

Gooble, what am the ansuh?

Its objectively 16 tho

I used to think that the left could ruin the social "sciences," they could ruin history, they could ruin English, but at least they couldn't ruin math. I was wrong.

Just fucking use RPN
>20 5 2 2 * * /

or the (((new))) retarded way
>20 5 / 2 2 * *

See, no stupid jew echos, and perfectly clear

For the lads screeching "ITS PEMDAS, MUH AUNT SALLY" yes, you're correct, but BEMDAS is more accurate.

B stands for Brackets.

There are three types of Brackets:
Curly { }
Square [ ]
Round ( )

PEMDAS excluded two of these brackets. I wonder (((who))) is trying sabotage our maths

*German trance music starts playing*

>Some dude strapped to a table in latex
>Some bitch in latex shoving numbers and symbols up his ass in left to right order

That's the future common core.

youtube.com/watch?v=DW0VxxoCrNo

ITS BEDMAS

Someone, ready a spurdo image explaining "Bemdas."

ITS FUCKING BEDMAS

BEDMAS TO YOU GET IT FAGGOT AND DONT YOU EVER FUCKING SAY BEDMSA OR ILL FUCKING FREAK OUT.

>american brainlets literally need some acronyms to remember simple order of operations

cant make this up

oh i was wrong, their acronyms are bullshit too
but i guess left to right is too hard

Estonia you don't even fucking have mathematics you fuckwad.

lol all right my man. Whichever. YOU make the spurdo image since you care that much. Good grief.

"The old way" is correct. The common core answer is wrong. How dumb are you faggots?

20 years from now when some affirmative action cunt "engineer" is negligently responsible for a bridge collapse, her excuse will be common core. Mark my words.

Not dumb enough to take your bait. Now fuck off kike

Where's trolololol man when we need him? I haven't seen a good Trolololol gif or webm in about 3 years.

sure

Multiplication and division are the same operation.

So I guess this thread has been derailed due to retards who can't do literal 5th grade arithmetic, but I'll toss this in anyway.

Most people who are against Common Core fall into two categories, from my observations:

1. The ones who approach it from a strictly anti-federalist point of view. They don't like the idea of even implied federal unification of standards across states.

2. Morons who think images like OP's are accurate, or who think curriculum materials put together by corporations are the same as the Common Core standards.

Category 1 I'm fine with, though I repectfully disagree with their stance (every educational system in the developed world EXCEPT the US has national, centralized education, and the same people who complain about the state of education in the US for some reason don't understand the irony of lamenting how we're "losing" to countries like China)

Category 2 is simply morons who are easily riled up and don't spend 5 minutes checking basic facts.

I know a fuckload about this so feel free to come at me bros.

I know you're trolling. However, what could you possibly have against efficiency. Acronyms, pneumonics, and various other shortcuts allow you to recall information more efficiently. Our brains have evolved to make quick work of mundane tasks and these are just a tool to boost efficiency.

Confirmed nigger.
>4×5=4÷(1/5)

>Curriculum written by kike puppets
>"it's ok to be autistic"
>"it's ok to fail in school"
>"your future relies on 1 test you take when you are 18. Fuck up, and you die lonely"
I'm going to Kms now

this is right

>Our brains have evolved to make quick work of mundane tasks and these are just a tool to boost efficiency.
Yeah, like having a brain with which you don't have to recite acronyms to know how simple order of operations work

>your future relies on 1 test you take when you are 18. Fuck up, and you die lonely

That last thing has nothing to do with tests or the education system and everything to do with a culture that falsely believes everyone is capable of and should pursue higher education. There are plenty of decent careers that do not require anything besides MAYBE a high school diploma, and probably you could get into them without one as long as you put in some effort.

That problem boils down to a÷b(c) in which you ask yourself if you follow the mathmatical convention of juxtaposition of multiplacation set by the ams, you would pair b and c together as one term before dividing. Its why 9x2 ÷3x is equal to 3x and not 3x3. Your calculators for the most part most likley do not follow this convention however, that does not mean it does not exist.

You idiot

It's PE(MD)(AS)

MD are done before AS, but when you can do one or the other for each group its left to right

That's a very shittily written equation

The thing is, does anyone actually write that like that? Just put (20*(2*2))/5, what is even the point of writing the (2*2) with the 5 if it's multiplying the 20 "(20/5)*((2*2)/1)"???

This is dumb and trash level, wake up america.

>don't understand the irony of lamenting how we're "losing" to countries like China
The reason why China and Asia in general has great education is because of culture. Parents are actively involved in their kids' education and even the poorest kids in South Korea and Japan go to private tutoring academies. Their public schools are actually sub-par compared to those academies. Kids sit at their desks and just take tests. The real studying happens outside the classroom.

US education is brought down by niggers who aren't even genetically human and are incapable of reason. If China had 13% black population its academic achievement would be bad too.

not really, the multiplication sign is implied there

The ABCs are replaced by AB Reees.

>I'm not the bad guy here.
No, you're the dumb-ass who had to repeat 3rd grade.

I agree with the culture part, although I think your rhetoric about blacks is unfounded. However, China is simply the first example that popped into my mind. Choose literally any country that scores higher on PISA or whatever your favorite test is and they will have a national education system. The majority of said countries follow progressive education philosophies that people here mock as "Common Core" (which doesn't make sense because CC is a set of standards) or New Math etc.

Again, it's all about ignorance. I just saw someone in the other education thread claim a normal elementary school has 40 fucking students in it. Who knows what other gibberish that poor bastard spews to his conservacuck friends.

It was designed to make white people stupid that's coming from the creator
the only reason why we haven't adopted successful European styles of teaching is because they don't want us to succeed.

Its implied that whats in the parenthesis and whats immediately outside are one term. Such as 3(a) is 3a and not 3*a.

Curious to see what you believe "successful European styles of teaching" means.

BEDMAS NIGGERS SQUAD UP

>3(a) is 3a and not 3*a
They're all the same...

>single line arithmetic
>inconsistent notation
>tfw standardized tests entirely built on trick questions

could be worse, could be 1960s math

Writing 3xa is different than writtimg 3a depending on the mathmatical conventions your taught. In america, if i was told to solve 9x^2 ÷ 3x most people would write it as a fraction and cross out the 9 and 3 to make 3, and the x squared and x to make x giving you 3x as the answer. However, followimg pemdas strictly you would first multiply 9 by x sq. Then divide 9xsq. By 3 to get 3 then lastly multiply 3xsq by x to get 3x cubed. So they are not the same.

I wasn't taught to write it on a single line so retardedly it could become ambiguous
PEMDAS is just an acronym, not an axiom, most people who write it on a single line use parentheses to remove any ambiguouty from it, unless they're specifically trying to make it ambiguous

>20 / 20 = 16
No wonder kids are so stupid nowadays

Go ahead and put that same calc how you wrote it through a couple calculators. You almost assuredly will get 3xcubed. Wolfram alpha and jewgle are two that ignore juxtaposition of multiplacation

I went ahead and did it for you. m.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=9x^2 / 3x&x=0&y=0

fpbp

Ofc, because it goes left to right, like it should, that's why I used normal people put parentheses in places so that shit wouldn't happen

m.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=9x^2 / (3x)&x=0&y=0