Cyberwar now

So, I'm sure you've all heard of stuxnet.
But who do you think made it?

what are the implications of something like this for the future?
Discuss.

Other urls found in this thread:

arstechnica.com/security/2013/03/the-worlds-most-mysterious-potentially-destructive-malware-is-not-stuxnet/
securelist.com/gauss-nation-state-cyber-surveillance-meets-banking-trojan-54/33854/
securelist.com/the-mystery-of-the-encrypted-gauss-payload-5/33561/
securelist.com/gauss-abnormal-distribution/36620/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It was literally built by the Jews dipshit

The US government created it to destroy turbines in nuclear facilities located in the middle east

The implications are that governments wage cyber warefare

Sage because shit thread about retarded topic

>Retarded Topic
man this is literally the future of warfare, I think it's safe to say this topic is of importance.

It set Iran back half a year at the most and it set a precedent that invading a foreign nation with impunity is allowed as long as you have the means to do so. Everyone else is adapting to this arms race now too.

Watch Zero Days, stuxnet is all but public knowledge at this point.

The contents of the Gauss payload is a far more interesting topic

Quickly run down

tl;dr US and Mossad craft a next-gen computer virus to target something very specific: the PLUs (logic controllers) for centrifuges in Natanz nuclear plant, Iran.

It happened in 2009 and there were a few versions, but basically it was the world's first exposure to the new generation of cyber warfare.

Zero Days is a recent documentary that covers it well, recommended

Made by a joint U.S/Israeli team. Everything went pretty much according to plan except the fact that much of the code got released to the interwebs.

Now some 4'3 N.Korean mole is trying to fabricate a monster worm that will attack U.S energy grids.

>The contents of the Gauss payload is a far more interesting topic
arstechnica.com/security/2013/03/the-worlds-most-mysterious-potentially-destructive-malware-is-not-stuxnet/
i'm with this nigger

>PlU
>logic controller

PLC

securelist.com/gauss-nation-state-cyber-surveillance-meets-banking-trojan-54/33854/
securelist.com/the-mystery-of-the-encrypted-gauss-payload-5/33561/
securelist.com/gauss-abnormal-distribution/36620/

Kaspersky's analysis of Gauss (thus far).

What makes Gauss fascinating is that the encrypted payload is ONLY unlocked on the target system. In other words, 3rd parties can obtain Gauss but cannot analyze the mystery payload as it is very difficult to decrypt.

Gauss is modular and contains some other unencrypted to target banks in Lebanon etc.

This is in stark contrast to something like Stuxnet that, while complex, was picked up by Kaspersky and Symantec very early on, and all of the code was plain to see and subsequently analyze while Stuxnet was still in the wild.

It's likely that the encrypted Gauss payload has done it's work and is no longer required (the C&C servers are no longer in use iirc). One day it will be decrypted due to the bruteforcing project that the main Hashcat dev created for Gauss.

I work in numerical analysis, so this isn't anything like the sort of thing I do, but I know one of the people involved in both this and Flame. I'm not sure he knows I know. Some of you here have seen his work without realizing it. It's how I found this board actually.

I don't know whether he has any involvement with Gauss or anything more recent, however. As far as I know, he had a nervous breakdown and was then put on an early "pension" of sorts.

aHR0cHM6Ly9kaXNjb3JkLmdnL3d2RFpVVw==

Trump has watched you shitpost through your webcam. You're either on a 'fired' or 'hired' list.

Everyone's behaviour changes when they think there is a permanent record and surveillance over them.

Checked and Confirmed
webcam light has been on before. I hope trump likes watching me jack one

Not mine :)

> stuxnet is so far beyond its own ability then when it was first implemented, it's most likely in 90% of all electronics connected to the internet by now

It reminds me too much of IRC, which I left a decade ago. :-)

based64 maybe?

Yes. Discord reminds me too much of IRC.

>the future of warfare
No you're thinking of sticks and stones

It's on record that it was created by a collaboration of the U.S. CIA/NSA and Israeli Mossad to fuck up Iranian nuclear centrifuges.

>t. the guy who watched the documentary about it.

>implications
Network security, and cyber security in general is probably going to be the job niche with the most demand.

What was actually the genius part about stuxnet was how it assembled itself on the system it attacks/ed.

I will say, however, there's not much I could tell you that you don't already know or at least suspect, except of his course his name or whatever, which I'm sure you wouldn't expect me to do.

He's now in his 30s, collecting his "pension," and spending most of his time reading books, playing online chess,.or meeting people from dating sites. You could look at his dating profile and never suspect a thing. He doesn't even mention programming or anything to do with computers.

Part of me wishes he'd figure out that I know just so we could have the closer friendship we used to have, because he's one of the loneliest people I've ever known.

Which is why I found it so strange to hear from a mutual acquaintance about what he's been doing with his time lately.

>Network security, and cyber security in general is probably going to be the job niche with the most demand.

That's the silver lining about this recent wave of ransomware - NetSec is lined up to become very lucrative if it continues.

Anyway, I hope he's found you discussing his work, and I hope he's reading.

The implications is that eventually cyberwarfare is going to become larger and more destructive as previously isolated technological devices become more interconnected

The downside of the internet of things and having a TV that talks to your toaster that talks to your fridge or whatever is that you open up more vulnerabilities where they didn't previously exist. It wouldn't surprise me to see hackers raiding people's smartfridge and turning up the temperature inside just for shits and giggles

>The downside of the internet of things and having a TV that talks to your toaster that talks to your fridge or whatever is that you open up more vulnerabilities where they didn't previously exist. It wouldn't surprise me to see hackers raiding people's smartfridge and turning up the temperature inside just for shits and giggles

This is virtually guaranteed. The IoT is developing MUCH faster than the patches for its vulnerabilities.

wow user what a story!
who would've known one of the most dangerous programmers spends his days slobbing around.
Although I can't blame him, It still makes me wonder if his got more in him, surely having the knowledge he does, life would be abit mundane.

Thanks for the read bro I needed it!
hope you stay in contact with the fella, everyone need some company in life.

"Don't burn bridges made of wood, unless there is a tree of equal size nearby" ~ OP 2017

things are starting to make sense now, assuming you're talking about what I think you're talking about. it explains a lot of what's been happening, why he hid from the news sites talking about him, how all those security pros identified his background, etc.
i also understand that your posts here aren't so much for us as for him. thanks for posting all the same. the secret is safe with me.