Since meditation is basically lifting weights with your brain...

Since meditation is basically lifting weights with your brain, why do i keep seeing such a difference in population between them ? I never ever saw anyone uninteresting, judgmental or narcissistic in a MBSR course, yet everytime i hit the gym it feels like i've been dropped in a pool of the lowest denominator.

I don't get. They both require dedication and they both show results after a distinct amount of practice of time, yet the population is immensely different.

Other urls found in this thread:

meditationexpert.com/ebok/howtomeditate.pdf
mediafire.com/file/9avnnk9e5180bon/Meditation.zip
counter-currents.com/2013/06/spiritual-virility-in-buddhism/
news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2011/01/eight-weeks-to-a-better-brain/
cia.gov/library/readingroom/docs/CIA-RDP96-00788R001700210016-5.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

meditation is such a kike meme. Only self-important faggots do that. I hate it when people tell me about how they've been meditating. It's lik vegans or TED talks. Fucking gay.

meditation is for cucks
lifting is for bucks

Thanks for your worthless input.
Thanks for your worthless input.

Maybe stop going to swiss gyms you fucking mountain jew

Meditation is good, but I wouldn't exactly call it lifting weights for your brain. Maybe more like cleaning your room for your brain.

Pushing your intellectual boundaries is more lifting weights for your brain. Learning maths, foreign language, literature, logic, rhetoric, all that good stuff.

You should do both. And lift too.

this.

The only actual thing you get from meditation is the false sense of accomplishment when you get home to whatever dwells your home and and tell them about how good you've been forcefully sitting in an unnatural position flinching your muscles to retract you fist against all soft and comfortable feelings, calling it a natural meditative position, whilst sharing fruits.

Smart people can get ripped.
Dumb people cannot "get smart".

They have to move the goalposts maintain their ego.

Your mind is what you should prize the most. It's what frees you from the Jews, and degeneracy as liberal garbage. Meditation is an important tool to clean and strengthen your mind.

Indeed my friend.
You're absolutely mistaken and full of misconceptions. You've been molded by what you see on Sup Forums. You have virtually no knowledge. Educate yourself on MBSR and the (proven) effects on stress reduction and physical benefits.
>133968030
>Meditation is good, but I wouldn't exactly call it lifting weights for your brain.
It is, though. It's basically the same concept. Acquiring new knowledge isn't comparable, as your mental scheme, your behavior, your thoughts, stay the same.

lol I fell for your troll up until this point. Good one mountain jew

How is it news to you that shallow morons who pay any attention to physical appearance are indeed shallow morons? Not to mention that steroids literally turn your brain into OOGA BOOGA ME BIGGA.

You're so incredibly wrong I know for a fact that you've never meditated before. It's like when some fat landwhale dyke tries to tell me that going to the gym has no affect on your happiness. It's just cringe

Meditation is setting the foundation for which a marvelous brain-gym can be built upon

>Since meditation is basically lifting weights with your brain
being this retarded
Meditation is not an activity. It's the lack of any activity. It's a kind of waking rest, being present and empty.

I don't 100% agree with you but I think you still gave a worthwhile input to the thread and it's a good place to start.

Meditation is good, but I couldn't say if it would be as effective were we not used to highly stimulated lives. Meditation is basically the opposite of wasting time on Sup Forums scrolling through thread after thread and refreshing. But so is dedicated and consistent reading and study. It's good to do, but it's more difficult to acquire a bunch of habits at once; and you should really consider which is the most important for you right now. Meditation could be a good start, but it really depends on your situation in life

There is most definitely a big misconception that people hear about meditation, along with the ones that go into it.

I agree that too many people go into it thinking they'll come out enlightened or those other dumb shit people believe in but half of the time they never follow through and have no idea what to do besides achieving 'silence'

Meditation has it's uses (synaptic/neuroplasticity) when done with intent - a physical example would be the same way you train specific muscles to do certain actions such as using plyometrics for MMA development, on the other hand if you're just doing plyometrics with no end goal you would not feel any different besides being more physically fit.

There are reasons eastern people do these things but they cannot scientifically translate it to westerners so instead you get shit like 'Qi' or other mistranslated shit like 'feeling god' or some unrelated words and phrases that get people confused and assume it's a bunch of shit.

>tl;dr - it has its uses, don't dismiss it so quick

>original post supports and espouses meditation
>OP's response to your post denouncing it continues to support meditation
>your troll

p e r k e l e

Maybe you just feel insecure at the gym.

how do you feel about acid britfriend? I am not into drugs outside of alcohol but Jordan Peterson's mention of the effects and a few other things I've read makes it sound interesting. I wouldn't do it though

meditation rewires the brain, but on it's deepest level it's opening up awareness which leads to "phenomenon". The brain stuff is just a side-effect.

sitting all day, zazenkai, ready to fall over, one more round to do, just 25 mins, a lecture, then I can go home. It's painful, none of my friends care I'm doing it, and it's the most rewarding thing I've ever done.

I tried it but it was a bit of a letdown. It did make water look very different, the way light reflects off it looks very cool (I was walking along a canal and the water looked alive, organic). Maybe I need to try a larger dose next time.

The thing is I had already tried DMT a couple of times, so I guess acid will be a bit underwhelming in comparison.

how can meditation be self-important? trying to become a better person is literally the most selfless thing you can do for the people around you. fucking retard

For those with an interest in meditation, the following brief guide will be of use, as will this package of guided meditations (audio).
meditationexpert.com/ebok/howtomeditate.pdf
mediafire.com/file/9avnnk9e5180bon/Meditation.zip

Those who are not convinced can read this article by Julius Evola, followed by his masterpiece on the subject, if they so wish:
counter-currents.com/2013/06/spiritual-virility-in-buddhism/
www.juliusevola.com/julius_evola/texts/The_Doctrine_of_Awakening.rtf

>Smart people can get ripped.

uhh what?

and neither has anything to do with meditation

can't really say much about it since i've never tried nor do I plan to, but I feel the effects can be mildly achieved through different means

have you looked into long period water fasting? the effects people described when experiencing a few days into it gets pretty interesting when done in a controlled envinronment

Your post is bizarre, and deserves an award for weirdness. You start out with the premise that meditation is like lifting weights with your brain. But it's not. Chess is like lifting weights with your brain. And there are plenty of uninteresting, judgemental, and narcissistic chess players.

Second, you neglect to consider how people pre-select themselves for meditation vs weightlifting/chess/etc. People who get into lifting (and all things like it) are people who enjoy life and have ambitions. People who get seriously into meditation are weak, apathetic, listless losers who have given up on life. So of course they aren't judgemental or arrogant. Because they're grey and beaten people.

i think OP meant that it can increase your focus.

>People who get seriously into meditation are weak, apathetic, listless losers who have given up on life. So of course they aren't judgemental or arrogant. Because they're grey and beaten people.

sounds like mister meathead over here couldn't sit still for 5 minutes. lol.

Meditation isn't difficult and it's not an excuse to not be getting /fit/ instead. If you want to work out your brain read a fucking book or do crosswords.

You fell for a shit meme OP.

I know that meditation has some true potential and whatnot but it's mostly the different kinds of people who are into/try meditation that I so fucking much hate.

I'll also take your word for it as you seem a bit more knowledgeable than me, but my point still stands. Most people who try it are probably like the guy below, they try it maybe a couple of times, have no clue what they're doing but are still convinced they succeeded because they don't know a single bit about it. This particular nitwit thinks it's comparable to LSD as if it's the key to ultimate enlightenment just because they've heard so on some online podcast. The other half of the people who do meditation are those annoying fucking "free souls" who, hat off to them for committing to something, but still don't have a clue what they're doing.

But meditation is more effective than any antidepressant (Google it's back by scientific study) much in the way weight lifting is an antidepressant

That's a very broad brush your using to paint that generalization

Anytime I've meditated on a regular basis I have always had more energy and positivity, (as well as paranormal experiences) although I was trying to bring about those on purpose out of curiosity

>People who get seriously into meditation are weak, apathetic, listless losers who have given up on life. So of course they aren't judgemental or arrogant. Because they're grey and beaten people.
I'm not into meditation, but this sounds absolutely hilarious considering the most important and well known Meditations in history.

a shit meme? you better go and inform all those researchers who have studied the health benefits, and all those millions of buddhist monks. user has broken the case wide open!

You're just as annoying and pretentious as the people who do psychedelics, and claim to have all these deep insights... But, what both communities really have in common, is that they're full of grocery baggers and warehouse-stockers who spout trite, pop-buddhist memes... and can't produce a SINGLE original idea or conclusion that came from their experiences.

Read the book And Then I Thought I Was A Fish

just because a couple of people who succeed happen to be into meditation doesn't mean it's the key to not being a loser.
Again I'm sure some people can find the true potential of meditation, but most are still fucking sad people who convince themselves and others that they get something other out of it than the false sense of accomplishment by telling others about it.

>Only self-important faggots do that.
No, it's self-important faggots that are loudly telling everyone about it. Them practicing meditation (or at least claiming they do) does not mean that everyone who practices it behaves that way.
Why does Sup Forums have such huge issues with understanding this very basic concept?

i realise that it's important for you to make vast generalisations in order to make yourself feel that you are knowledgeable, but don't pretend like you actually have a clue what you are talking about, meathead

i find it so hilarious that there are people like you who are so vehemently anti-sitting-still-and-breathing, all because you have misconceptions about the people that do it, from the media or wherever the fuck.

>but most are still fucking sad people who convince themselves and others that they get something other out of it than the false sense of accomplishment by telling others about it.

what and who are you basing this on?

sounds like you're basing this off self important faggots who do shit like take pictures of themselves 'meditating' on a beach for instagram and humblebrag about self improvement and vegan shit, in which case you have a point. Very distinct from monks and secret societies harnessing their willpower through ritual meditation. Basically if someone advertises their meditation it's bullshit. There is plenty of reasons to practice yourself. It makes a measurable difference on the structure of your brain if you're a fedora who will dismiss the most commonly shared aspect all religions.

news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2011/01/eight-weeks-to-a-better-brain/

The problem is it gets incorporated into all this feel good hippy bullshit without anyone knowledgeable sternly telling these faggots to fuck off with their selfcongratulatory bullshit. It's become a marketable trend and those who sell poweryoga classes are just going to milk it for money and assure them they're on the right path.

based on the people who talk about it

like who?

lots of people talk about politics, it doesnt mean they're a politician or i should have any credence in their opinions at all

Cant refute the argument
>lol ye jus trollng boi
Good one snow jew.

I also love how blind you people are to your own pretension, and passive-aggressive bullshit. This thread literally started with a passive aggressive provocation against people who lift. Then you jump on the bandwagon and assume my gender (err... hobbies) with the whole "meathead" thing. But somehow I'm in the wrong for responding? And, presumably, you passive-aggressive paragons of "stillness" are in the right.

Here's the truth... I GREW UP read reading books upon books of zen philosophy, stories, koans, etc. I spent YEARS meditating, and convincing myself that I was actually doing something. But I eventually realized what a useless, circle-jerk the whole endeavor was and gave it up. I probably have more experience meditating than 90% of the people in this thread. I call it useless because it is.

But please, continue to assume the high ground while making passive-aggressive provocations.

lol

How would you start 8 week MBSR?
Is there any way to do it yourself and for free?

>just because a couple of people who succeed happen to be into meditation doesn't mean it's the key to not being a loser.
But the fact that even ONE person who's seriously into meditation was not only a fucking Roman Emperor, but one of the few ones that was considered good DOES mean that people who are seriously into meditation are not neceserily weak, apathetic, listless losers who have given up on life, which is the argument that was made.

So in a nutshell, the science linked to above is false, and moreover, the 2,000+ year-old teachings from various traditions (especially Buddhism), are also all false, teachings which are based not on faith, but on reason, investigation and direct experience.

Let's be clear: in spite of your efforts, you have gained no meditative attainments whatsoever, and that is wholly your own fault (and perhaps that of the tradition you were in, not that I am quick to disparage your teachers). I am guessing that this weakness is due to your innate bad attitude. You may have not found the right teaching or teacher, and I sympathise, but look into your own personal character first before making the kind of dumb assumptions you do, since they are so blatantly misguided and misleading.

he's baitin

>Since meditation is basically lifting weights with your brain

Bwahahahaha, if meditation did your brain any good why liberals and leftists are such shills about it?

Meditation worked for me after a couple weeks of practice. In my opinion, it's best if you exercise and meditate because it did me wonders.

There is a Great Courses series on Mindfulness you can check out. And there is a whole sub-industry of Mindfulness+X type books out there. Find one which aligns with your interests and give that a shot. Works produced by Kabat-Zinn and his team, or the Oxford Mindfulness Centre are reliable. The audio package linked to above includes a whole bunch of recordings nabbed from mindfulness training courses, plus an introductory lecture/workshop by Kabat-Zinn, give those a spin too.

>Bwahahahaha, if meditation did your brain any good why liberals and leftists are such shills about it?

oh so this is where the virtue signalling comes in, with retards like you who attribute sitting still and focusing on your breathing with "liberals and leftists"

stop letting this place corrupt your critical thinking skills, if they were there in the first place

You develop what you work on. Meditators can have an interesting conversation. Weightlifters can bounce their pecs. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

>So in a nutshell, the science linked to above is false, and moreover, the 2,000+ year-old teachings from various traditions (especially Buddhism), are also all false, teachings which are based not on faith, but on reason, investigation and direct experience.

lol, of course it's false. It's a pseudo-science wrapped up in a mythology. A good analogy is "chinese medicine" and "internal martial arts." Bullshit, bullshit, and more bullshit. Then you mention Buddhism (which concerns itself fundamentally with the question of suffering). But the Buddhist account of suffering is laughably naive and insufficient. So, it's scientifically bogus and philosophically bogus.

The reason I got nothing is because there's nothing to get. People get so strung along with these phony, third-hand accounts of "enlightenment." But, in general, the only people claiming to have it are cult-leaders and charlatans who sexually abuse and exploit their students.

>I never ever saw anyone uninteresting, judgmental or narcissistic in a MBSR course
Are you trolling?

The only point you keep making, again and again in any of these predictably regular threads, is that you have failed to come to terms with your own ability to achieve any understanding, either of Buddhism or meditation, or more worryingly, of yourself and your own personal deficiencies.

>pic
cute but she's retarded for not eating eggs and milk based products.

Let's play a game. You tell me what you've gained by pursuing nothing, and I'll tell you what I've gained by pursuing something.

>Meditation
>Don't think about your problems
>Don't think about social issues
Has jewery written all over it

I see. You've been deluded by the cod-Western Zen thing. I'm afraid your condition is pretty much irreversible. Sorry to keep you hanging.
>Thank you, Alan Watts.

ayahuasca = pineal gland stimulation = instant meditation like a monk

This.

Esotericism is cancerous and sophistic in nature. Virtue signaling new age spiritualists.
Please user kun reconsider you opinion.

You maybe right to the regard that you will find more superficial and materialistic people inside the gym on average.

if you don't meditate or practice other forms of divination you're untermensch

>Sup Forums shits on meditation
>they just phonepost and spew hatred and pretend their minds are healthy because they hate specific things

Ironically enough it helps you study and maintain real focus for longer periods of time and helps you better retain the info you learned.

the reason you see narcissism and judgment in a gym isn't because it exists externally. it's because when you go to a gym, you're a narcissistic judge. it's all about you, buddy.

>awareness somehow equals not thinking about stuff

i think you're confused

That's ok. Talk your gibberish and withdraw from the conversation. My challenge to you is simple...

1) What have you gained from meditation that could not be gained more meaningfully from a healthy lifestyle and good decisions (e.g. peace, satisfaction, optimism)?
2) Since the claims of the "masters" concerning "enlightenment" are completely anecdotal and connected to traditions that are not shy about lying, exaggerating, and embellishing... what real authority do you have for believing in this lifestyle and worldview?

That's ok. Talk your gibberish and withdraw from the conversation. My challenge to you is simple..

1) What have you gained from meditation that could not be gained more meaningfully from a healthy lifestyle and good decisions (e.g. peace, satisfaction, optimism)?
2) Since the claims of the "masters" concerning "enlightenment" are completely anecdotal and connected to traditions that are not shy about lying, exaggerating, and embellishing... what REAL authority do you have for believing in this lifestyle and worldview?

>have crippling insomnia
>learn about meditation and yoga and all that supposedly ''self-important faggotry''
>suddenly no more insomnia
>also reduced anxiety

But I guess it's just a placebo, huh?

You don't hate when people tell you about meditation, you just hate the fact that you lack the patience and discipline to do it yourself. Which is ironic because meditation and yoga teach you both of those things.

Keep being a stubborn fool, you'll only fuck yourself over.

Meditation is used as a tool in psychology and psychiatry.

It goes under names such as LKM and to an extent, CBT.

Meditation is literally deep breathing, theres bo need to spiritualise it at all. Its like that old folk saying, "take a deep breath".

Proper breathing has numerous health benefits, from helping digestion to increasing focus and calm. This is just getting optimal oxygen for proper functioning.

Its illogical to denounce a practice just because liberals or someone you disagree with ideologically does it. Lefty snowflakes wipe their asses too.

But hey, its not for everyone.

Yup. It's fucking sad seeing how defensive people are getting over this.

>meditation
>have full control over your problems and social issues

It sounds like you like to have an erratic and inconsistent mind. I guess you love the fact that it is easier for Jews to infiltrate it.

There is no need for further gibberish, you are providing enough of that already, and your vindictive attitude shows that you are on the defensive and in any case, unwilling to be persuaded otherwise. But that's fine, this kind of teaching is in no way based on some sort of semitic persuasion, and my purpose is neither to convince you of anything, nor to show you up for the immature, and bitter person you are, you do a good job enough of that already.

1. This sentence itself is revealing since, for all your talk of choices and decisions, you cannot conceive of anything outside your own experience.
2. You could always read the Kalama Sutta, which is very brief, and which you probably know of already and are deliberately ignoring.

My own convictions, if you will, have nothing to do with belief. You can read the materials by Evola posted earlier for further confirmation of this view.

Yup. It's sad seeing how defensive people are getting over this.

Meditation is often inspired by pursuit of enlightenment.
Working out is often inspired by narcissism and aggression.

Both are healthy but often inspired by different schools of human thought.

>What have you gained from meditation that could not be gained more meaningfully from a healthy lifestyle and good decisions (e.g. peace, satisfaction, optimism)?
I have gained complete control over my will and discipline. To do so through other means I would have had to join military and so boot camp. Also I genuinely don't understand why you see meditation as a unhealthy behaviour, especially considering that most people spend on it 40 minutes/day at best. I'm sure you're wasting more than one hour daily on Sup Forums, if that's the case you have literally no reason to keep avoiding meditation.

>2) Since the claims of the "masters" concerning "enlightenment" are completely anecdotal and connected to traditions that are not shy about lying, exaggerating, and embellishing... what REAL authority do you have for believing in this lifestyle and worldview?
We're not in the 19th century anymore, meditation's benefits have been proved through the scientific method costantly in the last century. You'll find literally no doctor that will tell you to avoid it (well, I guess this stands for people who are not mentally ill).

I know senpai. I know about meditation and I know that I should meditate more for the sole purpose of exploring and expanding my mind, helping me enter the heaven within, the kingdom of our divine father.
cia.gov/library/readingroom/docs/CIA-RDP96-00788R001700210016-5.pdf

Not Sup Forums, fuck off

No what you are describing is called focusing and paying attention. Every normal person does it automatically. Only a retarded add subhuman would have to put a newage jewery label on it chant namaste and sit like a weirdo.