How does it make you feel that even dictionaries are feminist these days?

How does it make you feel that even dictionaries are feminist these days?

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/video/2017/jul/16/bbc-reveals-jodie-whittaker-is-next-star-of-doctor-who-video
archive.is/SadZP
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Drss.
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

(buzzfeed voice) you'll never guess how triggered the alt-right is over this epic tweet by the meriam-webster twitter account

Not alt-right and not triggered in the slightest. Just seems unnecessary for a dictionary to get political.

Stop. You can't be so full retard that you're criticizing English itself. We can't handle satire of this magnitude.

>what is context

Doctor has no gender in English because there are very few gendered words at all in English because we don't use masculine and feminine forms. This isn't something you have to learn from a class, it's that simple. Any English speaker, even a small child, can explain this to you.

>Merriam-Webster dictionaries

fucking kek. Does anyone actually use anything other than the Oxford English?

Like I said, you are clearly unaware of the context.

theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/video/2017/jul/16/bbc-reveals-jodie-whittaker-is-next-star-of-doctor-who-video

archive.is/SadZP

Strangely enough, Doctor does have a male connotation in English, just as Nurse has a female connotation.

I don't understand. The new Doctor is going to be female. The dictionary's twitter feed referenced that, noting that the word "Doctor", like nearly all English words, is not a gendered word. Implying that doctors can indeed be female.

Is this what you've been reduced to? Beyond pathetic.

How are dictionaries even in business still?

From the same outlet that brought you "There's nothing wrong with the word 'literally' having two contradictory definitions"

>I don't understand

You have made that more than clear.

But aren't dictionaries written by cis heteronormative old white men?

I shouldn't care. I really shouldn't. But why does every fucking company have to chirp in and jerk these cunts off? It's all so fucking patronising and smug. Worse when it's a government agency. Nah, we can't afford more police officers, but LGBFSHTHIAJEAOIE paint job is fine. It's from the magical mutliculti fund.

My college biology teacher talked all day about how gender is a social construct and science proves that there are many variations of sex. Also how female athletes should be able to compete with elevated testosterone because the extra testosterone is not important. I feel nothing.

Trash collector doesnt have a gender either, yet 99% of trash collectors are men

Why is Doctress not a word?

Dr has never had a gender I'm aware of.
My eye doc is female, and Dr. My GP is male and Dr.

Does English even have gendered nouns?
With the exception of countries.

Because when the word "doctor" was conceived there were no women doctors

Apparently it was used in 19th century American journals.

en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Drss.

I thought that was the OED

With the rare exceptions like "actor" and "actress", not really - which says a lot about that tweet and its intentions.

Hahahaha the English language btfo's Sup Forums once again

this is Sup Forums in these darkest of days. anything for a triggered thread.. Dr Who was always mainstream shit why does it even matter in he first place.

it's not a problem because the US will speak majority spanish and everything as a sex in that godforsaken language

At least someone gets it.

All these people getting triggered...
It's too late to be triggered now, you should have reacted when they changed Master to Missy three years ago.
But nobody gave a shit about PC or anything like that three years ago.
13th Doctor is completely okay by their standards, and NuWho is crap anyways.
Older episodes seemed fine. I'd say it's cool until Smith came.

>political

they are stating a fact. this is much like their other blurbs or tweets where they state the obvious. I guess you could read into this a political statement about gender whatever, but considering the vast amount of words that are gendered, its almost irrelevant to account.

Wow Sup Forums. How dare you oppress women and keep them from becoming doctors? Apologize now!