Thinking about dipping my toes in Christianity to see if its the real deal...

Thinking about dipping my toes in Christianity to see if its the real deal. I was raised in a non-religious house and I have little exposure to it. Recently I've broken away from moral relativity and come upon the realisation that there is a right and wrong way to do everything>

What are the best lectures, books etc besides the Bible that would get me off to a good start?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WDEBz25lGdY&t=355s
youtube.com/watch?v=cgwpaz0a9WQ
youtube.com/watch?v=28i3lWxW5xs&t=1s
youtube.com/watch?v=f-wWBGo6a2w
youtube.com/watch?v=KMPxZgLsYNM
youtube.com/watch?v=4BY2zCReDWg
ascensionpresents.com/video/why-be-catholic-and-not-just-christian/
qhpress.org/texts/gfprinc.html
bibledbdata.org/onlinebibles/german
youtube.com/watch?v=lPDCTIYyswY_l/
youtu.be/3_2T47PAIkM
christogenea.org/allaudio
christogenea.org/system/files/audio/CHR-Euro-2015-07-05-Judaea-Judah-Jew.mp3
christogenea.org/system/files/audio/ChrSat20110924-Misconception-Paul-Church.mp3
christogenea.org/articles/scatterers-and-gatherers
christogenea.org/system/files/audio/CHR20161104-FGCP-Finck-2016-10-30.mp3
christogenea.org/system/files/audio/ChrSat20120225-Universalism-Mark_Downey.mp3
christogenea.org/system/files/audio/ChrForumCall20110509.mp3
christogenea.org/system/files/audio/ChrSat20111231-Settlement-of-Europe-Conversation.mp3
christogenea.org/system/files/audio/ChrSat20120218-The-Seed-of-Inheritance.mp3
christogenea.org/system/files/audio/ChrSat20110827-BrokenCisterns.mp3
christogenea.org/system/files/audio/ChrSat20131004-TwoSeedline01.mp3
christogenea.org/system/files/audio/CHR20121123-EdomiteImmigrationAgenda.mp3
christogenea.org/system/files/audio/ChrSat20150620-WhiteGenocide01.mp3
newcovenantbaptist.org/100-bible-verses-on-salvation-by-faith-alone/
archive.4plebs.org/pol/thread/125637346/#125637346
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Imo stay away from evangelicals and baptists. Go to your local churches and see which one feels right or see what type of service you like better. Some you will find a genuine sense of community.

Check out Pastor Steven Anderson's works on YouTube, he's one of the best Bible believing Christians that you can find and he has sermons on almost every chapter of the Bible and every topic under the sun.

You can start out just by watching the video on how easy it is to go to heaven: youtube.com/watch?v=WDEBz25lGdY&t=355s

I'm not too familiar with youtube, but Father Spyridon is great:

youtube.com/watch?v=cgwpaz0a9WQ

youtube.com/watch?v=28i3lWxW5xs&t=1s

youtube.com/watch?v=f-wWBGo6a2w

"Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis. It may be helpful to read "Abolition of Man" first. They are both quite short.
Metropolitan Jonah of the Orthodox Church publishes his weekly studygroup sessions. I suggest you start with Orthodoxy 101: youtube.com/watch?v=KMPxZgLsYNM

Don't be stupid user

youtube.com/watch?v=4BY2zCReDWg

>Thinking about dipping my toes in Christianity to see if its the real deal.

what the fuck does this even mean? So you're just all the sudden going to start believing in the supernatural? Are you retarded?

>Pastor Steven Anderson's

Only Orthodoxy is authentic Christianity. The slippery slope of Catholic and Protestant heresies has ultimately resulted in churches that embrace every single anti-Christian value.

thanks everyone this looks like a good start!

I had a brief look online and most of it seemed very new-age. this is good

1. Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
2. The Case for Christmas by Lee Strobel
3. Reasons to Believe by Scott Hahn
4. Envoy for Christ by Patrick Madid
5. Walking with God: A Journey Through the Bible by Jeff Cabins
6. Rediscover Jesus by Matthew Kelly

Also read anything by Dr. Wayne Dyer.
Christian, easy to read, down to earth while being extremely spiritual. Dude changed my life.

no, this means giving it a fair chance and seeing if it works. I'm not willing to accept everything on face value

Jeff Cavins, blasted autocorrect

>the person who has obviously little to no real life experiences.

How can you admit that Catholicism (rightly) is heresy, but simultaneously pretend that Orthodoxy isn't? First of all they're very, very similar. They have few doctrinal differences, but Orthodoxy still maintains almost all of the doctrines that make Catholicism into a false religion -- baby baptism, long clothing, veneration of saints, worshiping archbisophs/popes and what not, vain repetition, works based salvation, priestly repentance of sin, etc. How do you reconcile that?

The Case for Christ. Again, Autocorrect. Apparently was invented by Satan.

Can't, sorry. There's no way to dip your toe in.

You either jump into the deep end of the pool or you stay on the sidelines.

Start reading on the control structure of religion, don't add barriers to your mental state.

Literally the best people he can encounter are evangelicals and baptists.

Get thee behind me.

This... The only people left who actually follow their Bible instead of what their church and earthly traditions are telling them.

>Thinking about dipping my toes in Christianity to see if its the real deal.

HAHAHAAAAAHAHAHAAAAAAAA!!!!!!

Learn to support yourself and your family first, cuck.

Protestantism began between the legs of both Martin Luther and Henry VIII.

Can't go wrong with Ravi Zacharias.

People love C.S. Lewis' book, "Mere Christianity".

If you want details, there are many: Evidence that Demands a Verdict, More Evidence that Demands a Verdict, Who Moved the Stone?, etc.

But the best place to check out Jesus is from his friends, his followers, and especially John who focused on Jesus' divinity. That would be the Gospel According to John, the 4th book in the New Testament.

Exactly. Two legs on the same statue.

It's likely the "schism" has already been patched over by this pope and the patriarch that then went immediately to Antarctica for some reason.

Evangelicals give christians a bad name. Bunch of delusional greater than thou assholes telling everyone what they will and wont burn in hell for. I try to follow catholicism because they preach forgiveness

Everyone in the thread that is recommending books is doing a good job.
I would be remiss if I didn't show the case for the One Christian Church which Jesus founded. The foundation to true Christianity
ascensionpresents.com/video/why-be-catholic-and-not-just-christian/

Orthodox are as much heretics as Protestants
Jesus Christ himself mandated Peter as the first among his apostles, and the Bishop of Rome follows Saint Peter's apostolic succession.

Eastern Heretics only exist because of political jealousy and refusal to humbly submit to God's Church, instead founding their own autocephalus, ethnocentric churches. Ambition rules orthodoxy, not the Holy Spirit

Yup. Jesus said that if you do not provide for your family, you're no better than a Dane.

The Great Schism of 1054
The Pope, out of (geopolitical, personal, ...) Pride, schismed the western church from the eastern church. Many terrible events followed, including schismatic councils.

Were we so blessed, a true Pope would renounce, rejoin, and return to their proper place in the Church.

Christianity began on the Day of Pentecost 32 AD and will end at the Rapture.

The protestants were all Catholics.

The point of religion is not to make friends and attend whichever service you enjoy most.

They preach forgiveness on a daily/weekly/minute-by-minute basis because they don't want you to leave their church.

Asking for forgiveness from God when He already forgave all of your sins on the cross is a very good sign a person has no idea what the forgiveness of sins means, when it happened, or what was required.

The Catholics, and others, want their members to be enslaved by an obedience, sin, repentance, penance, obedience cycle that never ends, and never provides the peace that Jesus promised.

Some Principles of the Elect People of God Who in Scorn are called Quakers, For all People throughout all Christendome to Read over, and thereby their own States to Consider." By George Fox

Spoken like a true burger

>I-i know history
>I-i-i know m-m-my r-religion, -I-i-i swear....

Your right once you get deeper into it especially. I was speaking on my personal experience where i was looking for a support group.

Catechism of Catholic Church
Teachings of Fathers of Church

Yup. Orthodox are just as much heretics as Catholics. Well stated.

Eastern Heretics only exist because of political jealousy and refusal to humbly submit to God's Church, instead founding their own autocephalus, ethnocentric churches.
Mm, yes. A dead pope excommunicates the bulk of christendom out of aversarial hubris.
That is very nearly the same thing as establishing autocephaly.

check'd

And yes, I do. Jesus may have said "heathen" instead of "Dane". But really, that's just splitting hairs.

Most Baptists don't even consider themselves Protestants, but a separate branch of Christianity based on "sola scriptura", which is why many modern Baptists just call themselves "Bible Belivers". Protestantism is a branch of Catholicism, and Baptists/Evangelicals want nothing to do with the Catholic religion.

qhpress.org/texts/gfprinc.html

The protestants died out 500 years ago, their goal unachieved. The Catholic church never did reform itself, and continues as the most evil institution on earth unabated.

>The protestants were all Catholics.

Come on, man... I mean, you really are good fun and all, but you would all burn if any of this was actually any more than make-believe.

Martin Luther: Catholic?

All protestants should read

Well, he was a Catholic priest. Remember: "I didn't leave the church, the church left me", as Martin Luther said.

JW.org

I'm a protestant, non-trinitarian who hates faggots and is anti-degeneracy - so I agree with much of what they're talking about.

It has a lot of based info.

Jesus never said heathen, though. It doesn't matter to me, honestly, but if you believe in this trite garbage, at least get your facts down.

I don't give a shit because it's disneyworld garbage, and I know the lore better than you... Sad!.

Case in point, a guy you never heard of probably. Heinrich Bullinger.

In 1519, at the age of 15, his parents, intending him to follow his father into the clergy, sent him to the University of Cologne, just as Luther's protests against the sale of indulgences was becoming widely known. In 1520–21 Bullinger felt that he needed to decide the issues for himself and, having been exposed to Luther's works, began his own reading of Peter Lombard's Sentences and the Decretum of Gratian. This led him to recognize that both relied on the authority of the Church Fathers, which in turn led him to read them, including Chrysostom's and Jerome's commentaries and Melanchthon's 'Loci communes'. From this reading Bullinger came to conclusion that Lutheran teaching was more faithful to the Church Fathers and the Bible than medieval authors. In 1522, now a convinced "Martinian" (follower of Martin Luther), Bullinger ceased receiving the Eucharist, also giving up his previous intention of entering the Carthusian order and earned his Master of art degree.

A catholic.

No thank you, it makes me violently ill. Kind of like reading the Necronomicon.

Poor burger, what's history?
Nevermind, just turn on fox and you're saved, right?

This guy too. Catholic, hugely influential in the "protestant" reformation.

People on the inside want to reform something they care about; people on the outside tend to want to destroy it. The "protestants" wanted to reform the catholic church, themselves being catholic.

If you like the JW then you will like Quakers. Same basic beliefs except Quakers don't try and convert outsiders we only preach to fellow members of the Elect.

You think Michael the Archangel is Jesus.

kek

You said it yourself. The Pope was dead and therefore the Excommunication was null, and it was Humbert of Silva Candida who wrote it not the Pope.
By all accounts, the schism should not have happened, and the Church should have remaind whole, but the Eastern bishops had a taste of power and wanted more.

I in no way hate Orthodox Christians, you are not heretics, if I had it my way, the Church would be whole, and we would have avoided so much tragedy and bloodshed. Had the Eastern Church remained Catholic, it's very possible Constantinople would still be under Christendom, same with Jerusalem, but it grinds my gears when Orthodox falsly claim to be the ""original"" denomination of Christianity when it really just started as a schismatic movement in the 9th century.

I pray our Churches come together, or at least come into communion, you can see our doctrine is the same, just like the protestant heretics ITT are spewing, we are not different enough for the schism to continue.

Even if you were a Protestant, how would reading a list of the wicked doctrines of the Catholic church help convert anyone? I find it amazing how a mere man such as the pope can put himself above Jesus as a mediator between God and men, and just make up random doctrines and titles and texts? It's disgusting. Read your Bible and stop following "priests" (the Bible says we are all a priesthood of believers).

Matthew 6:7 And when you pray, do not use vain repetitions as the heathen do. For they think that they will be heard for their many words.

Matthew 18:17 And if he refuses to hear them, tell it to the church. But if he refuses even to hear the church, let him be to you like a heathen and a tax collector.

Said it twice.

THIS IS NOW A PAGAN THREAD

Fox hasn't been right since Ailes left, and it's broken now that Rupert's gone.

The history of the catholic church is a horror movie.

Ultimately formulate your own interpretation. I am protestant, but I also enjoy the poetry of the various liturgies of the catholics. Also some of the rituals of the catholics and orthodoxes are cool too. Ultimately one of the most important things to realize is that "in the beginning........GOD". Listen to the hymns too. They are a repository for the language of the white man. Translating the luther bible is a good way to learn german too.

bibledbdata.org/onlinebibles/german

Norddeutscher Jugendchor (NAK) - Der Herr ist mein Licht
youtube.com/watch?v=lPDCTIYyswY_l/

(((Tax collector)))

Quakers are Christians.

JW are not; they're cultists who deny Jesus is God.

But no why currently successful countries are protestant, whole backwards countries are not.

Believe whatever you want, just have your finances on the level.

What happened to murdoch? Apparently he was raising his kids catholic

You are capable of sinning and losing your salvation. It's all over the New Testament. Saying backsliders were never saved to begin with is circular logic.

>Confession:
John 20:21-23 "Whoever's sins you forgive are forgiven, and whoever's sins you retain are retained"
James 5:16 "Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The fervent prayer of a righteous person is very powerful."
>Eucharistic
John 6: 51-58
I am the living bread that came down from heaven; whoever eats this bread will live forever; and the bread that I will give is my flesh for the life of the world.”a

The Jews quarreled among themselves, saying, “How can this man give us [his] flesh to eat?”

Jesus said to them, “Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you.

Whoever eats* my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day.

For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink.
Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him.
Just as the living Father sent me and I have life because of the Father, so also the one who feeds on me will have life because of me. This is the bread that came down from heaven. Unlike your ancestors who ate and still died, whoever eats this bread will live forever.”

Jesus didn't stop anyone and say he was only speaking metaphorically.

1 Cor. 11: 23-29 "For I received from the Lord what I also handed on to you,to that the Lord Jesus, on the night he was handed over, took bread,
and, after he had given thanks, broke it and said, “This is my body that is for you. Do this in remembrance of me.”
In the same way also the cup, after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me.”l
For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the death of the Lord until he comes.

You could also skip all the mainstream versions of christianity. They're boring. Go gnosticism. Dwelve into the more unexplored, mysterious, and uncomforming side of early christianity. I find it very intriguing, humbling, and satisfying myself. I came to this from atheist/agnostic. Will never go back.

Bless you, brother. We will both approach this argument with motivated reasoning, but I have no reason to autism at a believer.

Be careful what sect of Christianity you go into.

I recommend Orthodox. Everything in Orthodoxy is based on the original Christion religion and not filtered or refined like the Catholic church.

I believe the Coptic Church is the highest presence of Orthodox in Australia. Try them out.

You gotta feel for the guy. Ostracized from his community as a traitor, forbidden to enter into the temple, couldn't even eat inside a Jewish house, he still tried to reach the Hebrews and show them that Jesus is the Jewish messiah. Even learned Hebrew, which apparently he didn't know before.

Can you imagine how hated IRS agents would be if they worked on commission and could charge whatever they wanted?

>The history of the US is a horror movie.

Right about that at least.

I knew an old lady who was a Quaker, she was really nice but never preached to me - given what you're saying, that makes sense, I'll have to learn a bit about them.

Not sure I agree with them not preaching to everyone.
>Matthew 28

Go on.

My citizenship is in the New Jerusalem.

If you want to talk to someone who cares about this sick and dying world, that's gonna be someone else. It's doomed and falling apart. Can't you feel it?

For me there were two things.

First, given a materialist universe I can't support the idea that I'm not an automaton without invoking the supernatural. Yet I don't feel like I'm an automaton -- I seem to be able to make choices. Therefore I can accept the supernatural.

Second, I love the story. I'm not a real Christian because I don't ask for salvation or eternal life. It seems greedy. But the suggestion that the all-powerful creator of the universe chose to live a life of suffering and humiliation -- my life -- is amazing.

If whatever granted me free will also paid the price for living in a world of free wills then that act of compassion is enough for me and I can find peace with whatever comes.

I think it's pretty clear from the Bible that you can't lose your salvation. The Bible says that "all have sinned and come short of the glory of God", so don't expect your own good works to get you to heaven, "for as it is written there is none righteous, no, not one."

He left his liberal kids in charge of the network and it immediately started tanking.

Kind of sad that Al Jazeera and RT are more reliable than US news sources.

Summa Theologica is a good read.

Do you unironically believe that History ended with Acts of the Apostles?
Do you think Jesus would not have taken into account the fact that the people on Earth would need his guidance for thousands of years until his return?
Humans are ever changing and always screwing up, that's why Jesus himself founded the Catholic Church and gave Peter and the Apostles the authority to rule with the power of the Holy Spirit, over the body of the believers.

Your ideology is the result of the degeneration of believers. Read Revelation, you have strayed from the path.

Btw, your doctrine of "rapture" was invented by a scottish preacher because his daughter suffered from delusions.

You read an incomplete Bible because Luther ordered it that way, because multiple books in the Bible contradicted his (and your) ideology

Just start with the Bible. KJV higjly recommended. I also think you should read it in this order: John, the Torah, The Gospel and Revelation, then Genesis - Revelation
youtu.be/3_2T47PAIkM

>I have never read the Bible or studied the history of the Christian faith, but the word "Orthodox" makes it sound badass: The Post

Pope is not mediator he is just a Head of Church
on Earth Jesus establish his Church on the Apostles and st Peter that how church started

The church was before the bible
without a church the protestants would not have a bible

Strawman. No mortal, or even saints, go around the One Intercessor, Christ. The saints, angels, and clergy are intercessors in a subordinate manner to Christ.

St. Paul clearly defines the roles of Holy Orders in the Letters to Timothy. He mentions Bishops, Presbyters (priests), and deacons.

And if you're willing to do the research, there is an unbroken line of succession from the 12 Apostles to every Catholic bishop today.

Damn. Its controlled opp anyway even though hannity seems to push the boundaries

www.christogenea.org

>[Master list of podcasts]
christogenea.org/allaudio

>[Judea, Judah, and Jew. Learn the Difference]
christogenea.org/system/files/audio/CHR-Euro-2015-07-05-Judaea-Judah-Jew.mp3

>[Debunking Churchianity/Catholicism]
christogenea.org/system/files/audio/ChrSat20110924-Misconception-Paul-Church.mp3

>[Race Mixing is the Unforgivable Blasphemy Against the Holy Spirit]
Essay: christogenea.org/articles/scatterers-and-gatherers
Audio sermon: christogenea.org/system/files/audio/CHR20161104-FGCP-Finck-2016-10-30.mp3

>[Debunking Universalism]
christogenea.org/system/files/audio/ChrSat20120225-Universalism-Mark_Downey.mp3

>[Eight Witnesses Against Universalism]
christogenea.org/system/files/audio/ChrForumCall20110509.mp3

>[Discussion on the Settlement of Europe]
christogenea.org/system/files/audio/ChrSat20111231-Settlement-of-Europe-Conversation.mp3

>[The Seed of Inheritance]
christogenea.org/system/files/audio/ChrSat20120218-The-Seed-of-Inheritance.mp3

>[Race Mixing: Broken Cisterns]
christogenea.org/system/files/audio/ChrSat20110827-BrokenCisterns.mp3

>[Two-Seedline Explained: Pragmatic Genesis 1/28]
christogenea.org/system/files/audio/ChrSat20131004-TwoSeedline01.mp3

>[The Edomite Jewish Immigration Agenda]
christogenea.org/system/files/audio/CHR20121123-EdomiteImmigrationAgenda.mp3

>[The Curse of White Genocide]
christogenea.org/system/files/audio/ChrSat20150620-WhiteGenocide01.mp3

"People are being lied to about history, and especially about ancient history [...] This website is a reflection of the religious research and historical inquiries of William R. Finck Jr. The purpose of this site is to correct the record in regards to the history and origin of the peoples of Europe, and the reasons why they have adopted the Christian religion and must keep it, along with their ethnic identity and culture."

>without a church the protestants would not have a bible
HA those books of the Bible were still counted as scripture before they put them all together. And cathlodox don't even follow the Bible.

You can't just cover your ears and say "nuh-uh"
Either counter the arguments he said with solid resoning (protip: you can't, they're all based on scripture) or gtfo

>My citizenship is in the New Jerusalem

Riiight, one of those LARPers... Your citizenship is really in a country with a functioning state and legal system, though, or you would be trying to get there like the people you are currently fantazising about raping your pure 2d waifus.

No, no it is not.

Whoever asks me, I can tell them that their sins have already been forgiven them. That's the same thing that you're quoting above. But instead of Jesus breathing the Holy Spirit into my mouth, the Holy Spirit entered via a different method. Did you read the context of the verse, or do you just pull verses out of context? Jesus is telling His apostles after His resurrection what they are to do, and giving them the Holy Spirit.

Has nothing to do with you and your priests and your pope.

As far as a man sinning against another man, yes, they should seek forgiveness and be reconciled to keep the fellowship. It has nothing to do with God's forgiveness of sins.

The food and drink Jesus refers to are spiritual. Again, if you knew how to read the bible in context, massive numbers of people were following Jesus for free food. Jesus got rid of all of the wannabees by telling them that He is the real bread, and He is the real drink. That His body really was broken, and His blood really shed.

But nobody ever ate Jesus; nothing ever turned into Jesus in anyone's stomach; same with the blood. God abhors cannibals and vampires and lawbreakers.

Jesus never fed anyone His flesh and blood either.

Do this in remembrance of me is the proper way.

Eat God, Be God is the unworthy way that leads to death. The catholic way. Your way.

Any time St. Paul talks about "salvation by works", he is referring to the Mosaic Law.

Conversely, James 2:20 says that "faith without works is dead".

2 Timothy 4:3: "For the time will come when people will not tolerate sound doctrine but, following their own desires and insatiable curiosity, will accumulate teachers and will stop listening to the truth and will be diverted to myths"

Revelation mentons how the Nicolatians fell away.

I don't watch regularly so I can't know but doesn't the rise of Tucker Carlson compensate in some way?

I love seeing someone with paultard sensibilities dominate the msm and mow down leftists and neocons alike.

>And if you're willing to do the research, there is an unbroken line of succession from the 12 Apostles to every Catholic bishop today.
Yet you don't follow what they say. And any those documents could be forged.

Ephesians 2:8-9
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
newcovenantbaptist.org/100-bible-verses-on-salvation-by-faith-alone/

Also Paul warned about heretics that were around even during his day.

archive.4plebs.org/pol/thread/125637346/#125637346

Jehovah's first creation was his 'only-begotten Son'. . . was used by Jehovah in creating all other things (Aid to Bible Understanding, pp. 390-391); Jesus was Michael the archangel who became a man (The Watchtower, May 15, 1963, p. 307; The New World, 284); Jesus was only a perfect man, not God in flesh (Reasoning from the Scriptures, 1985, p. 306); Jesus did not rise from the dead in his physical body (Awake! July 22, 1973, p. 4).

>Le I want to be a white supremacist but was taught about Jesus, so I have to make a bunch of shit up to reconcile the two
Disgusting

No, of course not.

It properly ended in the Revelation of Jesus Christ.

>Spend hours on the weekends for months listening to preacher ask for gibme's for poor subhumans and missionary work. Asking for gibme's for new facilities for the church and the churches good works. Listen to Pastor preach about how poor and humble he is and how humility and poverty bring you closer to the spirit and to god. Attend social at pastors home. Pull up to home up in the rich people hills. Pastor lives in a mansion. Pastor drives a lambo. Pastor has 5 kids, and hot wife. Pastors only source of income is the church.

Christianity in summary.

You're right!

Bible was started 3500 years ago.

Roman Catholic church started about 4000 years ago in Babylon.

Wrong

I dont have time to teach history
stupid protestants find It for yourself come back and apologize