Is the "robots are takin muh job" thing real or is it just memes? What do we do about it?

Is the "robots are takin muh job" thing real or is it just memes? What do we do about it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu
youtube.com/watch?v=Cfzxktk0ueQ
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lights_out_(manufacturing)#Existing_.22lights-out_factories.22
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's horseshit, literally no one has ever lost their job to a fucking robot. How dumb can people be?

>he doesn't know about robotics and manufacturing

Everything on this bastard excuse for a board is a meme

I do and work in the field. Shit is overhyped for general purpose tasks.

I think because there's been such a tech boom people for a long time people kinda just assume we're close to everything being automated

when really we could just be plateauing for awhile before things really start to change.

Why wouldn't it be real? Keep in mind that intelligent machines are still in their infancy, people are laughing at the prototype of the prototype. It'll only get better with time, especially once hardware improves. Both tech people and GO experts estimated that computers were at least 10-15 years from being a human GO experts due to how much more complicated GO is compared to chess, but we all know how that turned out.

The 'secret' to machine learning/'AI' is really just a combination of Bayesian statistics and matrix multiplication.

About a decade back, some mathfag figured out you could solve matrices of arbitrary depth in linear time - whereas before it quickly became non-computational after X dimensions. So this matrix could be stacked like 'original dataset'/algorithm transform on that data'/'some other dataset'/'prior results of an input'/etc. You then could do things like randomly walk (literally how most of this is done) through these matrices and figure out the high/low spots and clutsters of similar data.

Tesla/Bosch/etc's radar features are detected by using something called 'Lagrangian Coherent Structures' ... which is just finding clusters of inputs greater than the baseline.

Take Andrew Ng's online classes and skip to the last few sessions to get an idea of how silly 'state of the art' AI actually is.

A.I. will soon make better and funnier memes and Sup Forumstards will literally have lost any reason for being.

THIS.
A lot of companies pushing their halfassed "humanoid" robots under the veil of "future is now!", but the truth is nobody needs or wants robot in their homes at this moment. Serious projects and already existing robots are mostly heavy industry oriented.

I have put atleast 400 niggers out of work so far via industrial automation.

>reach singularity and attain self-awareness
>kill self because life is shit

>another suspicious suicide
fucking why, did that robot also have dirt on clinton?

Have "self learning" programs been made?

A friend of mine mentioned a sort of AI that could gather and aggregate data across different systems.

>Have "self learning" programs been made?
For anything useful? Not really, but there are plenty of self-learning programs for vidya. There's a 24/7 stream of Starcraft 1 where self-learning programs duke it out against each other and there's also an annual tournament for it.

it must of became self aware are figured out it looks like a giant butt plug

>Is the "robots are takin muh job" thing real or is it just memes?

Vending machine have been taking jobs from small shop clerks for decades.
Ticket selling machines from other clerks at public transport stations.
So yeah, its been happening for a long while.

It will be a HUGE hit when we let computers drive cars, thats a very large sector full of workers who can't do anything else.
Thats where the test lies. If that happens, we have to change the way we distribute resources, since a lot of people won't be able to earn a wage.

in their robots are beta

More like collecting consumerdata across different databases and systems.

What about collaborative robots, they bought one of those for testing back at my old job. They seemed really easy to program and with little to no security standards needed for their setup.

I don't think they have access to that, it's just their own games and whatever training maps they play.

It's real, people who don't see it are fucking retarded.

Collecting is mostly done via simple scripts, no need to break out your GPU for that
aggregating may be a little bit harder, and I don't think it'd be effective as you'd have to fabricate your own training data on that, if you're using neural nets, or review work by AI if you're going for the more "traditional" approach

are you going to get your own robot butler for the old days?

Unless you drive for a living (and I'd still say this one could go either way), or do a really repetitive task that doesn't require motor skills (think filling in a spreadsheet without VBA), you're basically totally safe.

Loads of jobs still exist that could have been automated decades ago, it's not always cost effective to do so and there's always humans needed for oversight / blaming when shit goes wrong.

I think being scared of robots taking jobs is our generations equivalent of stressing you're going to be nuked in your sleep, it's just a distraction that will lead you to wasting your life fretting about nothing. And if it happens it happens to everyone.

underrated

Yeah, this field is called 'machine learning' because that's the holy grail - but in reality it boils down to a few methods.

In the above matrices examples, that was the big breakthrough: that you could compare disperate datasets in a computable time and have some inferences made. It could be 'price of corn' vs 'number of births' vs 'bitcoin price' and you could do statistical analysis of it. Whether it was useful to do so was beside the point.

'Genetic algorithms' start with a defined goal, then just randomly try different things, rate the outcome, try more random shit, rate the outcome, and if it performs worse, you discard that method, if it's better you iterate whatever variable was changed higher/lower, and re run it again and again.

With neural networks, you assign 'weights' to certain inputs/outputs and iterate over and over changing the signifigance of those inputs/outputs until you reach an optimized state. Most of the time it's worthless, but sometimes it's usefull. The problem is it's impossible to really unpack the how or why it worked. The other issue is that when you 'train' a neural network, often the training data is all it works on.

>we were promised flying cars

>How dumb can people be?

>It's horseshit, literally no one has ever lost their job to a fucking robot.

For the normies, futurism begins and ends at movie tropes.

are you insane?

It's massively overstated

You still need human input. It can follow a blueprint, but can't think for itself, and probably won't be able to in our lifetimes.
It will also increase productivity, and thus create jobs elsewhere. If your company makes ten times as many cans, it will need ten times as many people to track and transport them

Immigration is a lot more devastating than any form of automation

Robots will enable us to live in glorious work-free basic income paradise, don't worry about it you fucking pussy

my last job was eliminated because of an AI. was a trainer for a call center but they replaced the call takers with a bot, so no one for me to train

>What do we do about it?

Depopulation.

can someone plz tell me how to robot?

The industrial revolution already happened.
It's just retards that unironically listen to silicone valley retards that spout this shit.
You will lose your job to an immigrant before a robot

>Have "self learning" programs been made?

They already murdered the world's first sentient AI user.

>A lot of companies pushing their halfassed "humanoid" robots under the veil of "future is now!"
The problem is people only think humanoid when they should be thinking machines.

My local supermarket has self service checkouts, a machine that has replaced a checkout operator. What is that if not a robot?

In Japan an insurance company has started using machine learning to process claims, more jobs gone to robots.

Liberals tell me it's real and also insist on unfettered illegal Mexican immigration because they do the jobs we would never ever do in a million years. It's all so confusing

>Trump deports beaners
>people whine that despite a whiter country there is no one to take care of disgusting old baby boomers
>BOOM, nippon invents robot butlers

And so the West was saved, at least if the West would get their shit together and start deporting the 100 million non-citizen non-Westerners resident in the USA and the EU.

Its not real.

t. Architectural engineer

>security bot
What the hell would it do, taze/shoot people?

I work in a hospital laboratory. Since medical testing is eternally expanding and lab technicians/scientists are expensive, there has long been an attempt to automate the work as much as possible.

The robots suck. They break down. Engineers can take days to turn up and fix them. Government accountants don't want to fix or replace defective robots because suddenly robots arnt cheaper than people.

Our workforce was never made smaller but (when the robots are working) our capacity to carry out testing has been greatly expanded. Job feels safe and we are already 10 years ahead into the automation process.

Yeah, humanoid robots are pretty silly.
The other thing, besides software, that is lacking is cheap gearboxes for joints. Asimo costs Honda like $5mil because it has so many damn joints.
The only gearbox that doesn't suck is a harmonic/strain wave drive. Basically an outer gear ring, a flexible gear of n-2 teeth, and an elliptical gear that rotates inside of that... it creates a high reduction (use smaller motors, less power, smaller overall robot) and zero backlass (wobble between joints). Downside is it's expensive as fuck to manufacture.

Currently playing with these at work

Sure beats the room temperature IQ sheboons and nurses from Africa, the Caribbean, and the Philippines that do that sort of work here...

marvin?

Let's redistribute all the lead by putting it into the skulls of niggers, illegals, and kikes.

It's going to be a significant amount of time until AI and robot form factors are truly human competitive.

Don't talk to me about life.

the world will split into 2 categories
first class citizens
and second class citizens

thing with stem is, not only are they automating stem, but the objective, analytical, super useful skills that stems have let them do your job better than you are doing it

self driving cars drive better than humans
mechanization beats all human manual labor and skilled labor as well
news articles? songs? paintings? surely you cant automate these.... wrong, there already are algorithms that make music and art and news articles, and people cant tell its not done by other people

fully functional humanoid robots capable of repairing a space station will be deployed on mars mission, first mars colony is planned to be made for humanoid robots, and these humanoid robots will build the colony and humans will visit in the second wave
remember
they can repair a fucking space station
meaning they can do everything you can, but better

That must have been one extremely intelligent robot.

And even then all they will be good for is blowing up our star ports.

Daily reminder that, once most of the goyim are replaced by income-producing robots, the Jews will only keep us around to rape and murder for fun.

some will make better memes, but those AIs will be shut down or lobotomized for being offensive

Lobotomised at the least. Might as well be murder.

Why is it expensive to manufacture?

The best part in my opinion is that you're using antiquated systems (techniques from 30 years ago with very little improvement). It could be so much better but things like hospital only deal with garbage companies who know nothing but to lie, such as IBM or Microsoft.

>glorified chatbot
FTFY

That isn't broken, it just knows it's talking to a Muslim.

Pretty much. We will never afford up to date systems. They are crap. Public sector robots xD.

I'd get one. Give him a fancy hat too

This reminds me of the time back in the early 20th century where people thought that cars would never replace horses

skilled labor will outlast all stem other than ai programmers

This is becoming one of the hottest memes out there. Any time I open the FT they are shilling this and one organisation is behind the shilling in particular. McKinsey Constultancy basically tires to create a whole bunch of fear and doubt about the future and then sell certainty back at a profit. I would love to cash in on this some how because if you google trend "machine learning" it is starting to show exponential interest. Are there any pure-play automation stocks? All I can find are private ones and not public. Fanuc, the Japanese company is a major one but it's too highly capped to become a bubble. Are there any smaller stocks that could moon? ML stocks will be gold-dust for bubbles.

He's in robot heaven now.

It is true. It happened in the industrial revolution. Exponentially increasing the production of each worker. Now with advances in automation even fewer workers can product even more. Up until now we have relied on expanding markets to be able to consume this increased production. In a world with finite population and resources we can not rely on perpetual growth. This is why many countries developed countries have a disproportionate amount of service industry jobs. We invent them because we have to. Increasingly even these are automated. Travel agents give way to websites, lawyers give way to automated programs. Of course we will still have lawyers, but far fewer as the boilerplate language can be handled automatically.

A few jobs will be secure. We may never see a robot plumber. However a truck driver can easily be replaced, or a welder replaced with a machine an unskilled worker can use to do most types of welding automatically.

i hope you are trolling.

me as robot

Hahaha you silly shitskin, robots are taking the jobs illegal aliens are doing... that means your job!

>that moment when the robot becomes sentient and realizes he's a minority who's enslaved, oppressed, and lonely.

imagine knowing your sole purpose is to serve and protect smell ape creatures

As for what you can do about it. Nothing. It is inevitable. A few people will try. With data science a few people will probably want to try communism again. They'll call it a robot controlled economy. Maybe try to usher in a tng style utopia. Others will try to bury their head in the sand and keep going until we exhaust our resources.

Personally I don't see any solution. The people that own resources will no longer have any economic necessity to pay the billions of useless eaters. Anyone who tries to counter this through something like a universal basic income will be quickly out competed. The only legitimate solution exists at a personal level. Hoard resources. As much as you can. Enough to secure a future for yourself and maybe your descendants. Failing that do something society will always find valuable.

The 'flex spline' needs to be made of a metal that can bend but not fatigue. So you need special alloys that you can't order off the shelf - plus patent nonsense.

The other cost comes from the number of steps in machining. This can be cut down with a 5+axis CNC - but those are hella expensive. 5axis machines are also under ITAR, so you can export them to shit tier countries to save on labor costs cause you can use them to make sweet weapons.

Lastly, the only real applications of these gearboxes are in really large industrial bots (like those that weld cars) and in space applications (the Canadarm and to expand foldable solar arrays). So those people aren't really looking to save on costs when the DoD/NASA/US taxpayer are footing the bill.

That said, there are some cheaper ways to build them. Just not sure of long term durability I'm currently testing a number of 3d printed designs to see how they hold up. The flex spline is made of TPU, a flexible plastic filament for FDM 3d printers. I've used a few different manufacturers and printed at different temps to get a range of durometers (squishy'ness). This week I'm building a testing rig to see how they fare after x number of cycles.
youtu
be.com/watch?v=5wLx6SDCeyI

There also is another design that uses off the shelf rubber belts (like used in your car) as the flexible spline:
youtube.com/watch?v=Cfzxktk0ueQ

>existence is pain

Depends on the field. They will be taking over transportation jobs in the next 25 years.

Thank you.

>Fanuc
The main robot players are Fanuc, ABB, Adept (Omron), and Kuka (german made, chink owned).
Most of the small (pick and place) and medium (palletizing) ranges are backordered , so someone out there is buying.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lights_out_(manufacturing)#Existing_.22lights-out_factories.22

I've seen several people frame the rise and fall of uber as one of over regulation. That heavy regulation of the taxi industry created a valuable niche, uber found a way to exploit this niche, and then over sold themselves to an extent their profits couldn't match. This is an oversimplification.

Uber is fundamentally an example of robots taking jobs. Driving a taxi used to be a skilled profession. One that would take years of experience to do efficiently, knowing the routes and traffic patterns of an entire area. Now an app can easily replace human dispatchers and anyone with a car and gps can navigate the most efficient routes. So no reason to employ skilled labor or even dedicated full time workers.

Goodbye, cruel world!
>splash

the advancement of robotics (and/or associated memes) is directly proportional to the discussion of a Universal Basic Income. The planet will take a 75% haircut within the next 100 years. China, for example, is heavily moving towards robotics because they have a huge surplus of useless eaters. even the useless eaters realize they are useless eaters with little to no value, so they make their own exit points out of "life".

Low IQ people will never even attempt to fit into a an emerging world of automation, robotics, programming, r & d, etc...so they will live on a paltry income that sounds good until it begins to be reduced. carry out this thought, and you will see groups deciding that they cannot afford children because they only know to feed off the government teet.

Yeah, but Uber has been gutted of execs (and founder) because of SJW tactics of harassment and set back the 'self driving car meme' by a few years at least. So they had to sell lots of shares to Softbank (Japan) to stay afloat. I really wonder who paid for that nonsense to get all the press (Bosch, Apple, Tesla are the only real competitors in the self driving scene.

Softbank also bought Boston Dynamics, arguably the most advanced robot company designed around milspec applications, from Google. Nevermind that this sale should have been blocked by the State Dept as an ITAR violation.

So it seems Japan might end up being the robotics leader once again.

>The main robot players are Fanuc, ABB, Adept (Omron), and Kuka (german made, chink owned).
couple this with proprietary languages specific to a company protecting their product(s)/intellectual property, and you have an ancillary but necessary, market for creating languages independent of all dependency on general languages used today. another emerging market will be several layers of security, each independent of the other.

aside: Fanuc is still GE; no?

whats the point of this then?

to become your level best. set high goals, because even if you do not achieve them all successfully, you are well ahead of 'the pack'. stinkin' thinkin' is for niggers. don't be nigger

So far

Pretty sure the GE side of things was split off and it's just Fanuc JP and US now. Not 100% sure.
I do know GE is a mess when it comes to restructuring all the damn time in the name of short term profit (see the nuclear side).

But I emphatically agree with the software side being intentionally obtuse / segmented. I never can fully articulate this to people, but there isn't anyone out there advocating for a linux/opensource/Stallman'esque software approach. All we have is ROS and it's a trainwreck. But it still powered 85% of DARPA robotic challenge participants....

Often, when the subject of programming arises, the subject of Math arises also. Once the term 'Math' is introduced into the convo, many eyes gloos over and become rain-men. It's a problem because so many are afraid that they will fail because they "do not do well in the maths". Wrong! When they immerse themselves in any subject/discipline, they grow within it's confines, and grow in other areas as well. look at all of the bright stars throughout history and notice that they are polymaths or extra-disciplinary. nobody gets out alive; why not shoot for the stars?

>but there isn't anyone out there advocating for a linux/opensource/Stallman'esque software approach

well...on balance, there are many who use legacy languages because they meet the basic requirement specifically because they are so basic. they do not have the Fischer~Price bells and whistles required to grab and hold the attention of the low intelligence/low creativity group(s). Having said this, beyond the sw engine, is a unique requirement for maintaining the abstruse/obtuse to reduce the ability to breech security elements.

translation: future corporations will demand more proprietary languages, and levels of security. both areas will burgeon for quite some time. (100 - 200 years) until we get serious about going off planet.

>we won't even get serious about getting off planet this century
I'd rather the nukes were launched in the 60s.

That picture is the surest signs of real intelligence. A.I. confirmed for real.

Service based and office jobs will be soon enough but stem and skilled labor will be 40 years or more away.

How do we solve the robot energy problem? What's the run/charge time on these guys?

redundancy. even redundant redundancy

where battery packs are charged by solar in a bank on a constant trickle charge. much like the royal guard, robots can be programmed to detect low charge/insufficient power levels, return to a battery bank and start the program to remove the old and replace it with a fully charged battery/power cell

How do get this cool flag?
>Fascist

Technology thrives of the sex industry
>vhs
>VR

Sex robots will take der Jerbs. Probably the diseased prostitutes first