What's the deal with SSRIs...

What's the deal with SSRIs? Seems that mental health in general is shunned by the alt right and people like Sam Hyde who advise everyone to stay off them at all costs

For people who have tried everything except pharma to beat chronic depression, what's the Sup Forums solution?

Other urls found in this thread:

davidcherubim.net/documents/thelema.htm
waterbenefitshealth.com/water-and-brain.html
youtu.be/JB_omHQwYh8
youtube.com/watch?v=0tFlCGZJ6qw
mediafire.com/file/stl5ctg1ptogszt/MWTD.zip
mediafire.com/file/686p3ey8rl47lxc/Up_From_Depression.zip
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

When did Sam say that? Anyway he is hardly qualified to give that type of advice.

I tried ssri and 6 million children died in newtownschwitz

Never forghetti

jordan peterson

There is a stream from a few years back where he is talking with fans over a Hangouts live stream

He emphasised that above all everyone STAY OFF WEED AND SSRI'S

I'll try find the link (prob not worth suffering through )

I get ironic maymays are part of being fash but the SSRI thing has piqued my interest

I guess it's because Jews run Big Pharma?

They make you kys

Walk 6000 steps every day and you can sleep normally and end your depression. It's not that fucking hard.

>unironically believing this

C'mon sonny, I'm skeptical, not stupid

Proofs? There are side effects with any drug. On face value SSRIs seem that they help people attain a life worth living, millions of people can't be wrong right?

There's lots of bad side effects, a few off the top of my head:
>weight gain
>might kys in the first few weeks
>dick stops working properly
>might not even work
A lot of people have stupid meme depression and don't need these things.

The zaps when you quit are awful. Like electrical jolts in the brain

>move to Colorado where it is legal
>try diff strains until one works to do what pharms cannot
>don't be a fucking degenerate asshole
>obey the laws even when they are fucked up; prisons are full
>use it to not only overcome mental issues, but become the best you can be in a discipline like programming "ethical hacking"...blow the competition away
>profit

They're designed to literally dry off your frontal lobes, look it up.

??

So your solution is literally dude weed and become a master hacker?

They can be too readily prescribed to some people, and they have tons of inconvenient or downright painful effects such as "brain zaps" during withdrawal, loss of energy and livelihood, just generally turns (many people) into a shell of who they were. Jewish big pharma is just the icing on the cake, and in interest of personal health people should probably stop playing the role of helpless victim and take action in their own lives when possible without forming drug dependencies. That being said, some people probably do need some sort of chemical intervention for their outrageous degeneracy and SSRIs are certainly much better than benzodiazepines which are potentially far more destructive... but mental health prescriptions and diagnosis are basically doled out way too willy-nilly in general these days.

The efficacy of tricyclics is much higher than SSRIs, however they are cheaper and have higher potential for harm.

No joke; LSD. It is the most powerful temporary anti-depressant in the world, which gives you enough time to sort your shit out in the weeks/months after.

Proper setting etc. etc.
Don't fuck with SSRIs and anti-psychs, they're so hit and miss that it is a joke they're considered as treatment.
I know a fair few people on heavy SSRIs that still want to blow their brains out.

Better yet. Realise why you're depressed and fix the root of the problem, what are you, 18? 19? 20? Pretty much everyone has a little head fuck in their early days.

Only weak people cant solve their depression or whatever natty style

>STAY OFF WEED AND SSRI'S
There simply is no one-size-fits-all solution to ANY complex problem. Sup Forums needs to get out of that box, keep preaching ideas that are time tested and work 100%, but don't suggest stupid shit that is stupid; like NOT choosing to try legal plants to see if they work.

see pic related

Everyone's brains work slightly differently, chemically speaking. There is a balance that had been achieved in your brain unique to you. If you look at clinical trials, an SSRI given to one person can manage their depression, while given to another person can make them more depressed or an hero. You never know how that stuff is going to affect you because of the unique chemistry in your brain, and neither do they.

Well I had those symptoms. Though my depression happened when I realized i needed to fix my life asap but felt crushed by wasting my youth and anxious of failing. It helped me doing that. I stopped using them when it got better. If you use them like weed to not avoid your problems you're fucked.

Swan diving off the nearest overpass into oncoming traffic is the ULTIMATE cure. 100% doctor approved. Weev is a stunted retard who got hoodwinked by the same nigger that started the Occupy movement. How awful and embarrassing.

No. come back when you have managed to dislodge your head from your ass mkay thx

I was a psych nurse for a while.
SSRI and antidepressants in general are a miracle cure for some and worse than the disease for others.
If you have real actual diagnosed depression I think you should try them for a few months. You can always go off them again if they don't work for you.
It's definitely not just a scam. They absolute work for some people.
Most amazing treatment I've seen for depression, for those on whom it worked, was ECT (electroshock therapy) which could in some cases cure extreme cases of depression in 5-10 treatments. In other cases it did fuck all.

The truth is that we still know very little about how the brain works. We just more or less by trial and error found some treatments that work some of the time and we're using them.

Memeing aside what can I do to feel better?

My life isnt particularly bad, it could be alot better and there are certain things that make it worse. But eating healthy, exercising, getting a job and a girlfriend still has me feeling pretty bad. What do i do? Going to a gp will only lead to a ssri prescription which I don't want to take

I'm 27, thread is not about me though my life is fucked, just curious because I've seen SSRI meme thrown around in different circles on da web

Thank u

Yeah I suppose so

Is depression just normal? I mean, maybe people were just miserable 2000 years ago but they kept going anyway. These days, it's all about happiness, consuming, economic growth at all costs etc.

Could be modernity that is the real problem?

No bully pls

That's nearly line for line what my doctor told me a while back

Do you guys follow a script or something? I believe you guys though

He looks like he has a colossal index finger

How about you provide source instead?

SSRIs are garbage,they turn you into a fucking zombie. Your motivation and energy levels plummet, and here's a secret guys, they also kill your libido. So unless you want to be a fat flaccid zombie, stay the hell away from them.
Get outside, go hiking. Exercise. stop eating shit foods, eat food that you actually have to prepare. Stop maintaining relationships with shitty people who don't care about you. Do things that you consider noble, and meaningful (especially in your career) The list goes on and on.
READ THIS AND CLEAN UP YOUR ACT
davidcherubim.net/documents/thelema.htm

>he wants to fuck with his neurotransmitters because he's sad about his life not being where he wants it to be

Ever notice how people with real problems arent called depressed when theyre sad? you wouldnt call a homeless guy "depressed" because hes upset about being homeless, you wouldnt call struggling parents "clinically depressed" because theyve been upset about not being able to provide for their kids for a while.

only comfortable westerners get depressed. it stems from you being told you can do fucking anything when in truth you cant do fuck all without some sort of repercussion. people stop living their lives because of something theyre caught up on, and become depressed. jews capitalize on your weakened mental state to take advantage of you, by selling you drugs that you will need to keep taking forever because you fear being back where you were before

waterbenefitshealth.com/water-and-brain.html

youtu.be/JB_omHQwYh8

Hah no. I guess you just have an honest doctor.

An 18 year old user took himself out today. for some people there isn't a solution. live with it and cope or end it allyoutube.com/watch?v=0tFlCGZJ6qw

t. happy-go-lucky normie

I just started taking Zoloft a couple weeks ago. I'm 20 years old, I've been severely depressed since I was like 13 to the point I almost dropped out of college, attempted suicide twice, isolated myself from friends and family and basically ruined all of my relationships, etc.

I can't say exactly how well they're working because it usually takes about a month to reach their full effect, but so far I can definitely feel a difference. Haven't had suicidal thoughts, whenever stuff doesn't go my way I don't obsess about it and spiral into a depressive episode, and my social anxiety is way less noticeable. They definitely aren't a meme, but they're not for everyone either.

I would definitely recommend seeing a therapist. It likely won't lead to a prescription, it took about 7 or 8 sessions for me to get prescribed anything even though I was diagnosed by about the 3rd session. I noticed a big improvement in my attitude pretty quickly. It just feels good to be able to get things off your chest and not worry about the other person judging you. At least that's how feels for me

ketamine

advicing people to take drugs to deal with problems is just irresponsible.

the chance that someone becomes a retarded druggy are far better than someone becoming a olympic level athlete.

Can't afford a therapist and don't have the time, they dont take kindly to my lack of vigour towards their science (have been regarding a completely unrelated issue)

Ketamine is part of what fucked me up in the first place

im waiting any day now to kill myself actually as im an autistic neet with no friends

This isn't the case for everyone. I was depressed in middle and high school despite being a pretty popular athlete. And it continued worsening despite getting a gf, getting accepted to my dream uni, lifting daily, fixing my diet, learning a few hobbies like guitar and programming, etc. Our feelings are entirely dependent on chemicals and you can't just fix abnormal hormone levels by trying to force yourself to have a positive mindset

I've felt the exact opposite, my motivation and energy levels are way higher than normal and I've been jacking off like crazy when I haven't had any sex drive for the past year and a half. Different people respond to them differently just like every other medication

cyanide

I'll try that, cheers

If you live in a cubical farm, doing meaningless work, spending an hour and a half choking on car fumes each and every just to get there, you'd be whacked not to be slightly depressed. SSRI's may help to keep you maintain that lifestyle for your employer. Keep trying new ones if the first try doesn't work. It's not an exact science you know. Just try not to crack and shoot up some place while getting off them or we may need to take more of your rights away. Something is obviously wrong with people who are not constantly in la-la land despite their surroundings.

Kek I got the exact opposite

>weight stayed the same
>felt better
>lasted way longer in bed
>rock hard erections
>actually making chicks cum just from fucking
>sex much more passionate
>feel more connected with everyone
>relationships at work improved

Only thing I felt was slight nausea the first week or two and also woke up a lot during sleep which also went away

Gonna stop after 6 months though

>SSRIs exist solely to keep you a productive working unit

This is true though

Such is life in bugman world

If that doesn't make your very soul cringe in horror then I guess you're a kike

ayahuasca is the best anti-depressant you can get

Works in one or two treatments
Safe and void of side effects
Been in use for 10,000 years
Cheap

There is a detrimental trend in psychotherapy for doctors to write scripts instead of actually getting to the root of the problem, or even trying to. This removes any ability of the patient to understand the nature of their ailment, and strips them of the means to overcome their problems. This leaves the individual reliant upon a pill for the rest of their lives because their own power to understand and change their thoughts and emotions have been drowned in pharmaceuticals.
Zoloft stops you from feeling depression, true. It also stops you from feeling anything else, too. happiness, frustration, motivation, passion, it turns your thoughts and emotions into a beige wall. Understanding the origins of your difficulties and addressing them with honesty and clarity is the way to overcome them, not another pill.

Though I'm taking them for ocd/anxiety I have the same effect. Not sure if it's a side effect or just going back to normal since that is how I used to be normal.

>millions of people can't be wrong right?

Wrong. FTFY.

Not to mention that they have very little knowledge about how they work across the human brain.
They know that it affects given pathways but are clueless when it comes to cascade effect

i have generalised anxiety and have been on SSRIs for 18 months. I'm a lanklet and they helped me gain 10 kg, also anxiety has reduced. Dick still works fine and no side effects that I've noticed.

In the first two weeks I did have auditory hallucinations though lol

There is absolutely nothing wrong with SSRIs, just scaremongering about them shrinking your brain and lowering your IQ. I take multiples every day and I'm fine. Just take them, don't be a pussy.

Don't shill yourself on Sup Forums, Sam.

>SSRIs
Same as literally every other medicine, they're good if they're what you need and useless if they're not.
There are different types of depression with different causes. If yours is from not enough serotonin in the synapses because of bad brain chemistry then an SSRI will fix you. Might be the only thing that'll fix you apart from ECT.
I'm on an SSNRI. Fixed about half of depression symptoms outright with barely any side effects. Can recommend/10..
>mental health in general is shunned by the alt right
Leftist snowflakes have turned mental health into a joke by all having PTSD over everything, but depression is a real thing and there are lots of preventable suicides, particularly of men. Don't know about the rest of the world but unofficial policy in Australia is for the media to not report suicides (leave the family alone, prevent copycats) so for its body count depression gets relatively little attention.
The alt-right lumps PTSD faker snowflakes in with genuine cases, treats them all the same.

The only time I was legitimately suicidal, on the brink of actually killing myself and willing to do it, was when I was on SSRI's. They were prescribed to me when I was in the Army, even while deployed in Iraq. I was only 18, and mostly just down about not having a girlfriend to talk to, but they decided I should be on an SSRI - having very little knowledge about, I didn't see the big deal and viewed it as any other medicine. It took 1-2 years to ween off of that deadly stuff, and I have zero suicidal ideation, and the level of depression I used to have is within the same ballpark, but more manageable because I am matured. It's deadly, and withdrawals are arguably worse. I also feel like it permanently changed me, I still get the "zaps" from time to time as other anons mention, even though I haven't had them in over 15 years.

wfpb diet. exercise. D3 and B12 supplements.

Depression is an inflamitory disease. Stop eating bullshit meat,dairy, eggs, processed food, added sugar, salt and oil.

Stop drinking, stop smoking. Get away from dense urban cities.

Depression is for the sickly and weak.

The doctor decides if it will be helpful or not and prescribes you the proper amount. Then works with you via therapy that's tailor made for you. I don't know where you people get the idea that the docs just feed you pills and then tell you to fuck off because that just doesn't happen.

Our media recently stopped the block, you can report on it now

Naturally the focus remains on women, and now also Maori people, if ur a male then just deal with it since you have life on e z mode

Go vegan? Here we go...

>For people who have tried everything except pharma to beat chronic depression, what's the Sup Forums solution?
Obviously because you have to be taking the right pills such as le black pill, amirite or amirite guyz?

>This leaves the individual reliant upon a pill for the rest of their lives
no, it doesn't. Again I don't know where you people are getting this. SSRI are a temporary fix to help you get through the day while you work through your issues in therapy.

>No bully pls
don't say stupid shit plizz

seriously! there are "some" who can try marijuana cigarettes and get good results. speaking from a personal perspective, marijuana "some" cigarettes of a particular strain make me incredible focused. i can work for hours on one thing and never get bored. it helped me learn other languages, like conversational spanish; and if they do count as such Jave, Perl, C-sharp and Python

there is no one-size-fits-all solution. balance is everything. if you or someone uses a type of illicit or otherwise drug to vegetate on the couch and play some mean COD; the goals are all wrong. people do that out of boredom and having no challenges in their life. they're too 'comfty'. At 27, you should be challenging yourself. Mine was military. Afterwards, it was everything above my neck that counted to become my own level best. your revolution may vary

Here's a story
>Be me
>Have clinical depression
>Wife convinces me to go inpatient
>Have SSRIs shoved down my throat
>Feel numb to all my emotions
>Stop taking them after a year
>See a shrink and just talk
>realize all I needed to do to sort my shit out was just to talk
>Doctors disagree, say I need to take pills
>Ignore them, just keep talking
>get a lot off my chest
>Never felt better, no drugs needed

At the end of the day you just need someone who will listen

Your indoctrination is showing. work on that

oh look, it's some retard that buys into the psychotherapy scam.

> don't know where you people get the idea that the docs just feed you pills and then tell you to fuck off

nice little strawman you constructed there, dumbass.

Completely change a person.

Lexapro has always helped me be happier. Without it I inevitably begin planning ways to kill myself. Very detached from emotion. I don't care what anybody says about placebo effect or w/e. Something is working.

>If you live in a cubical farm, doing meaningless work, spending an hour and a half choking on car fumes each and every just to get there, you'd be whacked not to be slightly depressed
One has to be on drugs to think that is "normal" or should be "normalized". Seriously, reevaluate Value.

Pills don't cure depression, they just fuck with your head in weird ways. Dealing with depression takes effort and a positive attitude. You have to take care of yourself and cut out all unnecessary negativity. You need to realize when you're wallowing and quit that shit, quit all depressing media and listen to more upbeat and hopeful music. If you choose to be happier you'll feel happier and good things will come. Also you have to stop going on Sup Forums and watching dumb alt right shit. Trust me that's basically it.

>It also stops you from feeling anything else, too. happiness, frustration, motivation, passion
Not true, at least not for me. I feel legitimately happy doing my old hobbies which I haven't felt in years. I'm capable of enjoying books and movies again. I don't just listen to music or tv shows as background noise but I can actually focus on them and they bring out emotions in me like they're supposed to, and that includes feelings of happiness, sadness, anger, etc. The only thing that's different is that my constant dull emotional pain and view of life as pointless is gone.

The reaction you're describing sounds like someone who isn't actually depressed. If you aren't legitimately depressed then I'm sure taking ssri's will fuck up your hormone balances and ruin your emotion. But for people who are actually depressed, as in the chemicals in their brain are screwed up, it can have the opposite effect and let them finally feel emotions again.

Also you aren't reliant on the pill the rest of your life. My doctor recommended I take it for 6 months and then gradually stop.

>tl;dr no one in this thread actually fucking knows what they're talking about, and depression is a real medical condition no matter how much you try to deny it

>taking prescription drugs for years when you don't actually have the disease they're trying to cure can have bad side effects
no shit sherlock, how long did it take you to figure that one out?

Try the Mindful Way Through Depression audio course: mediafire.com/file/stl5ctg1ptogszt/MWTD.zip

Also, these audio affirmations may help: mediafire.com/file/686p3ey8rl47lxc/Up_From_Depression.zip

the cure for depression is to get a job and start a family.

ssri's never helped me, I was eventually prescribed a benzo for anxiety instead and it changed my life, I went from a shit C student to a straight A wonder, I take the benzos sparingly when I need them and I have no ill effects at all. You shouldn't bash pharma drugs because they can really help in a tough situation, you just need what's right for you.

You're a fucking dumbass
>Just be happier bro it's that simple!
That's easy to say when you don't have chemical imbalances in your brain. Sure, a lot of people who claim to be depressed aren't actually depressed and just have a woe is me attitude on life, but implying that it's not possible to have fucked up serotonin levels is really, really stupid

Seriously, 90% of the people in this thread sound just as bad as antivaxxers, vegans, and those "spiritual healers" who think yoga and chai tea can cure cancer. You can't fix legitimate physiological defects just by listening to happy music.

From someone currently in a mental hospital due to depression. Thank you.

So you're retarded?

If I was retarded you'd probably tell me to go for a hike to fix it you dumb nigger

stop denying science

An SSRE that works immediately: Tianeptine.

Given that it was nearly two decades ago, there wasn't much controversy with SSRI's. I was depressed enough to require treatment but I didn't know the dangers of them, and apparently all the medical professionals I dealt with didn't either, or just didn't care. Also, if you are prescribed medication in the military and you do not take them, you can and will receive disciplinary action. Thankfully, I was deployed into combat so they didn't really have time to mess around when I stopped taking them.

You forgot you might shoot up a school, church or movie theater.

Phelps smoked weed therefore every time you hit your bong your one step closer to being like Mike. Great message chief.

I was about to actually, you could use some fresh air. Or you could just pop a bunch of pills and walk around like a zombie.

Read the book Listening to Prozac. I am planning on getting a script for it soon. Not all SSRIs are equal.

Many of us may simply not be getting enough vitamin flouride and GMO. Various experimental chemical concoctions may help some.

>people with real problems arent called depressed when theyre sad
It's almost like depression and sadness could be different things.
>only comfortable westerners get depressed
There has been a huge increase in diagnosis in the west. They changed diagnostic criteria back in the 50s or something. Before then you only had depression if it was bad enough for you to be institutionalised and the only treatment was electroshock therapy. Now SSRIs exist and work on mild cases so they're diagnosing everyone.
The rate of really bad electroshock depression is about the same as in the past, milder depression is about 10x more common.

Similar story. Depression for me was emotional numbness, not even sad, just tired empty hopelessness. Started as the zombie everyone says antidepressants will turn me into, now I'm on pills the tired hopeless numbness isn't there anymore.

gained a shitload of weight on SSRIs

on the plus side I could stay hard much, much longer.

They don't work and they fuck up your brain chemistry if you are on them for too long.

I was on them for six months, it took me a year to get back to normal.

>how to beat depression

Fix what is fucking your life up. If you hate your job, quit. If you are in a shit situation with your family, leave it. So on and so forth.

After I OD'd they had me on 6 different prescriptions. Bipolar SSRIs and everything.
I felt like a zombie constantly, just shuffling around and doing what people told me. Luckily i managed to gather enough willpower to quit them all before my brain got totally mushed. Now I lift weights instead

the herbal approach is st johns wort, clinical dose is 3 grams (tablet) twice a day.

the homeopathic approach can very but it is fucking effective. aurum met 200c is very good at dealing with severe depression with suicidal thoughts

and st johns works better than pharma with less side effects. dont listen to the drug pushers.

i used to work for eli lilly selling cymbalta (SNRI) and they told me it only works 1/3 of the time.

OP

What are you symptoms in detail

SSRI's are more risky than some people, including those that prescribe them, like to think. Many psychiatrists seem to just dish them out because they see them help people who have very advanced cases become merely sub-functional. They also see patients come in every 4 weeks and making what qualifies as progress by their evaluation without considering the toll its taking on the 27 days you aren't in their office. They can be amazing for some people, but they can have awful and lasting effects for others. I don't think people should take them unless they feel like they can't continue dealing with their current situation and don't have other options.

Stay away from medication, that shit will make you want to kill yourself

been taking ssri for 6 years can lead a normal life no one can tell i'm "crazy" wasn't like that before the medications

No you were just Canadian

HOW DARE YOU!
TAKE THAT BACK RIGHT NOW BURGER!

If they are able to make someone a productive member of society instead of a sad beta faggot than go for it

The Sup Forums solution is to not let your problems affect you. There is no middle ground, therapy doesn't seem to work for most people if they aren't already prepared to be self-sufficient for the time they aren't able to see the therapist.

Who the fuck is Sam Hyde? That's a pic of Cody Cigar

Need to change thinking patterns too.

Many depressed ppl have a persecution complex, take the world too personally. They also make bad decisions over and over that keep themselves trapped.