What does Sup Forums think about buddhism

what does Sup Forums think about buddhism

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greco-Buddhism
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-canonical_Buddhist_texts
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

it doesn't mean smoking weed and putting an om sticker on your land rover

Act on to others, as you'd have done on to you.

it's p chill

I'm Christian but if I wasn't, I would be Buddhist.

SMASH THE STATUES AND PUT CROSSES IN THEIR PLACE

Fpbp

Buddhism has some elements of wisdom but in general it is a pretty life-denying philosophy. All human experiences are stifled in their search for nirvana. And it's a pretty elitist religion as well.

My gf was raised by her therevada Buddhist Lao grandparents who were born over there. She didn't know about any of the "achieve nirvana to break free from the cycle of reincarnation" stuffuntil she met me. That's only for the monks, not for women or "peasants." She only learned about ancestor worship, praying to buddha, ect. If you think about when buddhism began in the 7th century, it's bo surprise plenty of men would take meditation and reading all day as opposed to farmwork all day.

It pretty much does tho

What Buddha actually said or the distorted sects?

There are many Asians and shitskins in my country. I pray for the day this shit reaches a boiling point and the Buddhist death squads go around burning Muslims in the street.

DEUS VULT

SEA tree apes cannot into non-duality. Same with any culture which claims to have a known path enlightenment.

easy to complement with Christian values.
mostly a stepping stone to Daoism imho.

why does this question get asked daily?

red-pilled but it's too triggering for Sup Forums to talk about because of some Sup Forums users's sentimental attachments to Christianity

Rene Guenon talks about how it's mostly a trait of the Semites to be obsessively iconoclastic. Iconoclasm arises in cultures where the people are dull enough to confuse statues of gods for the actual god or the metaphysical teaching behind the doctrine and so iconoclasm arises in Semitic cultures as sort of an immune response to help preserve the orthodoxy of the traditional teachings.

Aryans are not retarded though and have no need for it.

>but in general it is a pretty life-denying philosophy

That's one of the most common misconceptions about Buddhism. In fact, when informed people practice it's teachings they often feel liberated and blissful as opposed to nihilistic or life-denying. There isn't really anything life-denying about Buddhism, it's more concerned with merely observing and understanding the nature of the mind.

Religion of smoking weed and chilling.

no, it's a stepping stone to (chinese) zen, which expresses some of the same ideas of philosophical daoism. daoism itself is too broad a category and usually involves gods and shit. zen tells you to burn your gods.

It's been documented that for hundreds of years many Vajrayana sects did in fact use a sacramental drink

I am not sure what you understand about Daoism.. have you even read the Daodejing? literally no mention of God(s) whatsoever

Maybe you think Daoism is something else. Like many eastern phil some would argue it is a philosophical belief system (for the state) and less of a religion

this

Spent 4 years training in Zen Buddhist monasteries. Love meditation. Hate normie western Buddhist philosophizers. 10/10, will mu again.

Dao De Jing and Zhuangzi are philosophical Daoism, but as practiced, religious Daoism is much more prevalent and involves all sorts of local gods and beliefs in the supernatural. Taking philosophical Daoism as a way of life would be pretty similar to Zen.

the one true religion

what lineage of Zen do you follow? what do you think about the importance of reading collections like the blue cliff record, book of serenity, and the mumonkan as part of zen practice?

Has meditation and or mindfulness helped anyone with anxiety or depression here? But more specifically generalized or social anxiety. Real question

That it isn't best discussed on edgy and cynical boards like Sup Forums, especially when most don't know anything about it beyond what they've seen in dirty west coast hippes. Also what's with all the buddhism threads lately?

I see what you are saying thanks for the clarification. I am a white faced wide eyed devil so I have not had the opportunity of visiting an actual traditional shrine or temple for Daoism.

I have only read what I read and taken it in that way, so yes I do try to practice it philosophically and complement the other belief systems I previously had.

what is the meaning of Bodhidharma coming from the west?
other than mu

because of the mass awakening. More and more people are waking up inside the matrix and realizing the parallels with Buddhism

yes. if you take it seriously it does wonders. better than any medication you get. it's a shame doctors don't promote it more.

A peaceful religion.

>life denying
so you don't age? theres not one thing that is immortal and can escape death, its simply a universal truth that all things come to end. The only that thing buddhism stifles is unnesscary delusions and actions that lead to your downfall. In the end buddha even says to throw away buddhism itself when you're done being enlightened and come back if you need its help again. its the least dogmatic and practical religion there can be.

total misconception, centering your life on a drugs and laziness is what buddhism teaches you not to do.

Daily reminder that Zen """""Buddhists""""" are just weed smoking hippie degenerates. The only real Buddhists are Theravada.

t. Theravada Buddhist

what don't you like about weed? it's pretty good bro.

Actual buddhism seems pretty cool. Seems it's been subverted (at least in the west) into this new-age hippie bullshit that edgy "I'm spiritual but not religious :^)" rebellious teenagers use as a "fuck you" to their parents and turning it into some marxist social justice cult or something.

Also, reminder that the original Buddha was said to have blue eyes, and was from of Scythian descent. We wuz buddhas n shit, senpai.

I trained primarily in the White Plum tradition (mixture of Rinzai and Soto). 6 hours of Zazen a day for 4 years.
Koan study can be fruitful but isn't for everyone. Most people try to turn it into philosophical contemplation and it's not. Sitting is the most important. Reading scripture's only purpose is to inspire a person to sit, once that happens you shut the book and completely forget everything you ever heard about the mind or reality. That being said I studied a lot of texts, but kept away from the koan curriculum because I wasn't doing it formally with a teacher (actual koan study is done on the cushion and is not intellectual at all). Though taking Bodhidharma's "bring me your mind and I'll pacify it for you" literally brought about some of the most potent liberation in my everyday life as well as ease in Zazen. So yeah it's kind of a mix. Though the most important is sitting, which is all I do these days. That and read Huineng.

Yes, and no. I practice mindfulness constantly, and it hasn't decreased my socially anxiety, only made me more aware of it and sensitive to what triggers it. Actual autismo though, so meditation will never 'cure' my natural tendencies, and I am perfectly ok with that

that's because the already degenerate Japanese form of Zen is what was introduced in the west by hippies.
original Chinese zen is much more serious and is not conducive to drugs, autohypnosis, and deluding yourself

>what is the meaning of Bodhidharma coming from the west?

Greek-ruled central Asia was the recipient of the first Buddhist missionaries.

Many thousands of Greeks living through present-day Afghanistan/Pakistan/Iran/Turkmenistan etc converted to Buddhism and there were large monastic communities.

There is some evidence that Greeks/Scythians/central asians were influential in the doctrinal development of Mahayana Buddhism

Bodhidharma was described as basically a white person. He was probably either of some Indo-Euro stock like Scythian or possibly Greek.

White people brought Buddhism to China.

He used his body.

Buddhists are bro-tier and really cool.

Too bad Ameritards like to talk shit about them because leftist hipsters like to pretend they're Buddhists themselves.

Tibetan Buddhism and generally any esoteric path is amazing. All other kinds are boring as fuck.

What's up with Sup Forums's love for some poo in loo religion?

Fuck off you hinayana scum.

that anecdote of Bodhidharma is one thing I mention when talking about Zen with people who know nothing about it. Love it.
you're right, studying texts is an easy way to lose sight of what's right in front of you if it becomes too much of an obsession.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greco-Buddhism

j/k hugs and kisses

No, life-denying meaning condeming existence as suffering and longing for what lies beyond. Some parts of christianity are life-denying in this regard.

Read some Schopenhauer

When not burning Muslims in the street, not that that's a bad thing.

Of all the koans I have read, this one has been the most difficult to transcend. I have experienced glimpses of the solution, but have since forgotten

> theres not one thing that is immortal and can escape death,
Untrue.
> its simply a universal truth that all things come to end.
Also untrue.

Spiritual suicide

You don't know how right you are.

Hinduism for Plebs

Self-defense.

bro....that's just a common question in zen. "What is the meaning of Bodhidharma coming from the west?" the most famous answer is "the oak tree in the garden."
but of course Bodhi D came from Central Asia. He could have been Persian, though, or some kind of Turk. Chinese didn't really have a good concept of where India began and ended geographically.

How is it even lossible for a westerner to "get into" buddhism? What books do you read? I mean genuine buddhism too, not new age gay shit.

care to explain?

Buddhism and Hinduism are closer to ancient Aryan thought than Christianity.

Judaism adopted most of the major doctrines of Zoroastrianism after the Persians conquered Babylon and the Jews became the Persians subjects. The standard practice for the Persians was to remake the religion of their subjects in the frame of Zoroastrianism.

Christianity is itself basically a heterodox branch of Judaism so it's like a twice distorted version of the original Aryan Zoroastrianism. The connection to genuine Aryan wisdom with Hinduism and Buddhism is a lot more direct and less distorted.

>theres not one thing that is immortal and can escape death, its simply a universal truth that all things come to end.

meditation is good shit, says youre wholly responsible for your lifes happiness.

It's just meditation which is basically mental discipline and cultivating concentration on what's actually happening in the present moment. Don't worry about studying buddhist philosophy or texts and just practice meditation for 10 or 20 minutes here and there, turning away from your addiction to thinking about fantasies of the past or future and focusing what is actually happening in the physical moment.

What do you think of Krsna Consciousness?

I was stopped by an Indian man in the street who said he would "give" me these books for a "donation" to his temple. So I bought two books from the International Society of Krishna Consciousness off him. Is that a sect of hinduism or what.

Its true from both perspectives:
From Christian perspective: Absence and rebellion against God, our heavenly Father.
From Buddhist perspective: Escape life (that is source of all suffering according to them), never be born again (they recognize reincarnation) and be in state of eternal unconsciousness.

They make cool statues
would live in a buddhism styled apartment

One of the books you bought from him is the Bhagavad Gita commented on by their Swami Prabhupada. That book is part of the Hindu epic the Mahabharata, so yes it's a form of Hinduism.

Oh, I didn't know, I was sorta confused because it seemed like a weird way to ask where Bodhidharma came from and who he was.

>He could have been Persian, though, or some kind of Turk

He is referred as "The Blue-Eyed Barbarian" (碧眼胡) in Chinese

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-canonical_Buddhist_texts

SINK
THE
CHINKS

I think like most things, its teachings are totally corrupted by (((them)))

a fallacious example is that its commonly taught in western buddhism that "there is no god" when there are stories of several Buddhas who have direct correspondence with God

>碧眼胡
that's true.

> Escape life (that is source of all suffering according to them), never be born again (they recognize reincarnation) and be in state of eternal unconsciousness.

you are wrong. It is about obliterating the ego. What is left is not unconscious. It is beyond categorization. It is what we all are, what everything is, always has bee and always will be. Also, never really at all

The questions meaning is typically along the lines of "Why do you do anything?"

Nope it's kike subversion, they repackage Christianity in the Geeta their translations are outright wrong they even go to the extent of calling other Indian gods demons
No its not

A noble path. The Tipitaka is.

what's not what?

Not quite. You got the Prabhupada part right though. I got one basically "what is dharma" book and another one called " the science of self-realization."

Im asking because it seems different from other hindu stuff I have read, which is pretty much the Upanishads

too much magical bullshit in buddhism (karma nirvana etc.) just like in every religion

Perhaps because it doesn't work much better than placebo aside from maybe making you more aware of triggers as the previous autist mentioned..

not in chinese zen. it teaches to do away with all such conceptions.

>posts on a board that practices meme magic with proven results

>Escape life (that is source of all suffering according to them), never be born again (they recognize reincarnation) and be in state of eternal unconsciousness.

That's a misconception, it's not about "escaping life and suffering" but rather about awakening to the true nature of reality and rising to a level where you are not affected by trivial things and live blissfully at all moments.

The notion of Buddhism being regarded during the time of it's birth as a "super important emergency way to get off the ride of existence" is the completely wrong view. The focus in Buddha's teachings was that one should become enlightened in this life to bring about the end of suffering, to become aware of how things really are, to live blissfully etc. The ending of rebirth is just seen as the natural result that follows when one's fetters are cut.

The translations by iskon are wrong so if you consider wrong translation of a religious texts book as a sect of that religion sure iskon is a part of Hinduism but according to me they are not a part of Hinduism

In some traditions yeah. Zen Buddhism typically they throw that shit out (Zen literally just means meditation). One of the most famous zen masters was asked what happens when we die. He said he didn't know. They asked how he couldn't, he was this enlightened master. He said, "because I haven't died yet."

Of course your commie ass thinks that.

>you are wrong. It is about obliterating yourself.
FTFY

This

what you end up with, as an end result, is literally magic. Infinite quantum potential.

do you find the idea that Jesus Christ and his prophecies can be found in the Vedic Scriptures to be ridiculous?

the boundaries of Hinduism, like a lot of religions, can be fuzzy. they worship Kṛṣṇa, who is a god in the Hindu context, and their main book (the Gita) as I said comes from one of the two great Hindu epics. So it's a splinter cell of Hinduism that is all about singing, being vegetarian, pushing books on college campuses, and of course stalking ex members threateningly.

many psychological problems can be solved by practicing buddhism. Schizophrenia, bipolar, social anxiety to name a few can easily be overcome.

Historically in buddhist countries like Japan the mentally deranged were made to meditate at a temple until they were cured.

Only recently the mental disorder mechanism was uncovered with neuroscience but buddhism seemed to have already figured it out. Modern medicine essentially tries to sedate you so you don't react to the chemical reactions within the body causing the anxiety causing it to fade away overtime.

The buddhist solution is almost the same except you refrain from reacting to anxiety with sheer willpower alone (meditation) and help you realize even the body is against you and needs to be controlled and regulated. In the end you've improved your mental resilience and don't need to depend on drugs.

Psychologists and drug companies would rather have you become dependent on them than tell you a completely free solution available to anyone.

Buddhists make the mistake of thinking that feeling good is being good. They don't realize that the universe doesn't revolve around them, ironically. Otherwise they would realize that nothing is going to change just because of the way that you think.

Yes very very ridiculous

that is what I meant, the problem with any of this is that when discussing it we run into a the limitations of language.

Its about annihilating yourself and achieving absolute """emptiness""", cessation of all works, actions and so on and so forth, absolute sterility and absolute destruction
End of the story.

>a fallacious example is that its commonly taught in western buddhism that "there is no god" when there are stories of several Buddhas who have direct correspondence with God

If you have the idea that Buddha was actually theistic or something and his teaching was corrupted you are wrong.

The scriptural evidence generally indicates that Buddha thoughts on god(s) were that he denied the existence of 1 ultimate all powerful all-pervading god (such as brahman) and when asked about the lesser deities and spirits etc he said that if they existed they would be subject to the same laws of rebirth and karma as all other living things.

He taught that focusing/worshiping on the gods was not important and that one should instead focus one's concentration on furthering your own spiritual progress.

Well that's a very lovely thing to try, isnt it?

>"Which long for death, but it cometh not; and dig for it more than for hid treasures;"

hey raaam ki kore eirom bolcho
just joking bhai it's a laugh, everyone knows if Christ had visited Hindustan he would have gotten addicted to that lamb korma and never went back to Galilee

not as insidious as the (((Abrahamic))) religions but like most eastern religions are to promote an ineffectual cuck mindset

"the key to enlightenment and freedom from sorrow is to give up your earthly desires!" = don't do anything to stand up against your feudal masters keeping you as serfs, let the emperors guards rape your wife and pretend not to care since that's your best option

check'd

well, actually I would be jewish, but I like Buddhists even more than Jews I guess, im not sure

Durr bada

well buddy, you're going to be in for a real shock if you investigate the matter for yourself.