Hinduism General

>What is Hinduism?

Hinduism is the oldest organized religion in the world. It is the Sanatana Dharma, the Eternal Law. It has no known origin and no founders - it is a synthesis of various Indian cultures and practices from as early as 4000 BCE.

Hinduism differs from Christianity and other Abrahamic religions in that it does not have:

>A single founder,
>A specific theological system,
>A single concept of deity,
>A single holy text,
>A single system of morality,
>A central religious authority,
>The concept of a prophet.

Hinduism is neither polytheistic, monotheistic, trinitarian or henotheistic, yet it is all at the same time.

The development of Hinduism was influenced by many invasions over thousands of years. The major influences occurred when nomadic "Aryan" Indo-European tribes invaded Northern India from the steppes of Russia and Central Asia. They brought with them their religion of Vedism. These beliefs mingled with the more advanced, indigenous Indian native beliefs, often called the "Indus valley culture."

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kali_Yuga
archive.org/stream/reneguenon/1921 - Introduction to the Study of the Hindu Doctrines #page/n1/mode/1up
bhagavad-gita.org/index-english.html
archive.org/details/TheBhagavadGitaByCRajagopalachari
hinduwebsite.com/upanishadindex.asp
sacred-texts.com/hin/
gita-society.com/section3/mahabharata.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwiHrferzdbSAhXIQ48KHXpjBfIQFggnMAA&usg=AFQjCNEVJFySM166gELxlwp_gULUgD7yjw&sig2=KRg3OHxt-7NTN7O0TaIkYw
youtu.be/rAM9x_GF9VY
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5IeHRKYTOmUMnkwxLbQzL3VgespNxd68
grahamhancock.com/dmisrab6/
bhagavad-gita.org/Gita/verse-07-23.html
youtube.com/watch?v=1InBj1-VZl8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Political Significance of Hinduism in this Age

All the decadence of the world today has been predicted by Hinduism.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kali_Yuga

Prophesied events during a Kali Yuga

>Rulers will become unreasonable: they will levy taxes unfairly.
>Rulers will no longer see it as their duty to promote spirituality, or to protect their subjects: they will become a danger to the world.
>People will start migrating, seeking countries where wheat and barley form the staple food source.
>At the end of Kali-yuga, when there exist no topics on the subject of God, even at the residences of so-called saints and respectable gentlemen of the three higher varnas [temperament] and when nothing is known of the techniques of sacrifice, even by word, at that time the Lord will appear as the supreme chastiser.

Kali Yuga with regard to human relationships

>Avarice and wrath will be common. Humans will openly display animosity towards each other. Ignorance of dharma will occur.
>People will have thoughts of murder with no justification and will see nothing wrong in that.
>Lust will be viewed as socially acceptable and sexual intercourse will be seen as the central requirement of life.
>Sin will increase exponentially, while virtue will fade and cease to flourish.
>People will take vows and break them soon after.
>People will become addicted to intoxicating drinks and drugs.
>Teachers will no longer be respected and their students will attempt to injure them. Their teachings will be insulted, and followers of Kama(lust) will wrest control of the mind from all human beings.

Resources
>introduction to Hinduism for westerners
archive.org/stream/reneguenon/1921 - Introduction to the Study of the Hindu Doctrines #page/n1/mode/1up

>Bhagavad Gita
bhagavad-gita.org/index-english.html

archive.org/details/TheBhagavadGitaByCRajagopalachari
>Upanishads
hinduwebsite.com/upanishadindex.asp

>Vedas
sacred-texts.com/hin/

>MAHABHARATA by C Rajagopalachari
gita-society.com/section3/mahabharata.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwiHrferzdbSAhXIQ48KHXpjBfIQFggnMAA&usg=AFQjCNEVJFySM166gELxlwp_gULUgD7yjw&sig2=KRg3OHxt-7NTN7O0TaIkYw

>Ramayan Anime
youtu.be/rAM9x_GF9VY

Bump

Are you a hindu out of reverence for your heritage? If you were born in a different country, say... Saudi Arabia, why would you choose this faith over the faith of your parents?

I really have to get myself to read the Bhagavad Gita, the life of Lord Krishna in general sounds very interesting to me.

I'm a bhuddist though. (Bumping)

Well i was born a hindu thats the only way to become a hindu and about my faith I believe in Hinduism cause its the only religion that can withstand the test of time and is relatively free from kike subversion and freakishly true

No one cares about you poo in loo meme religion, kys

I can recommend you YouTube videos if you are interested in the mythological aspect of the mahabharat cause the Geeta is literally a war sermon not Krishnas life story

The only meme religion is atheism

The Bhagavad-Gita is spectacular. If anything it would complement a Buddhist practice. It offers some important lessons that I think are if not lacking than at least underdeveloped in Buddhism.

Why would you follow a faith that you must be born into?

Surely enlightenment is earned through toil and study, not one's birth

If birth is the only determining factor than hinduism is no better than judaism

Hinduism is a bunch of hooey and logical fallacies. That's why liberals love it.

I'd really apreciate it from you. Last time I tried to look up his history I stumbled upon a video from a Muslim telling me that he was a Djinn that fooled Arjuna.

I knew Geeta was a war sermon, but it is the most known text regarding Lord Krishna, at least in the West.

If a person has to be born into it then what should those not born into it do? Join a cousin faith like Buddhism, Sikhism, or Jainism?

>Krishnas life

SHRI KRISHNA ( English Subtitles ): youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5IeHRKYTOmUMnkwxLbQzL3VgespNxd68

Very comfy tv show and a very accurate representation of mythology it's a bit long through but it's quite complete I can link you similar shows about the mahabharat and the Ramayan

It's not that you must be born Into it, it's just that the religion is so engrained into the subcontinent its hard to be a hindu outside of it, and I did earn my enlightenment through years of study and practice it was of course my dharma

You could just follow the text, their are no compulsions

Hinduism is the mixture of native Indian paganism with Aryan Vedism.

Yes thats what the op reads good job

BJP shilling hard I see.

The Only meme religion is Jizzlam.

Oh shiddddd I got caught XDDDDDDDD

How long until Maitreya appears to teach me about the pure Dharma?

I'm currently reading the bhagavad Gita as it is translation. How much faith should I put into the purports added by prabhupada. Should I instead just focus on the actual text?

t. Genuinely wish to practice dharma

Hinduism is woke as fuck and it's like literally aryan like dude. Like I built this rat temple and am now like 2woke cuz I ate food with holy poo and I also have like woke sex dolls that have multiple arms.

Also what should I read after gita

wasn't kali yuga supposed to last like a million years?

Stop reading iskon translations

Srsly tho why aren't you a Shivaite yet? Best God desu

ur woke dude! like Hinduism is literally the religion of Europeans and whites, stay woke bruh

Not really

Why, I know that they're kind of culty but do you have any examples of fuckery I'm the translations? I'm not doubting you just info seeking.
He seems to make big claims with little to no supporting evidence.

The upnishads and preferably not the iskon versions

Your right. I'm interested in dharma not because I agree with the philosophical conclusions or the nature of god, but because le ancient white Aryan meme. You figured it out.

Are there any versions you would recommend or will any besides the iskcon do?

They deem other gods in Hinduism as the devil, they teach you Krishna is the Supreme God even though that is implied no where, they even distort Krishna teaching like not focusing too much on bhakti I could go on and on and when good translation are available for free why would you fall for a cult

The one linked in the op

>that Earth is currently in Kali Yuga and lasts 432,000 years

Ah my bad.
Though why bother doing anything if there's another 425,000 years before the period will end and anything I ever do would matter

They are all different paths to climb the same mountain

Wait so you're a smartist?

Well fair enough I suppose. Although you'd do well to the Gayatri Mantra every morning.
t.Brahmin

grahamhancock.com/dmisrab6/

As the Indian guy said it's really not that important to be officially initiated.

If you are white you will be regarded endearingly but still as an outsider. Someday maybe white people will start to organize large Hindu and Buddhist communities but not much of that is going on now.

Being an official Hindu through being born into it is really only relevant for the purpose of participating in the Hindu cultural experience and is not very relevant to one's spiritual journey.

The Hindu teachings are open to all who are both intelligent and discerning enough to understand the meaning of the texts. One's ability to genuinely participate in it is really limited only by one's capability to understand the texts and the willingness one has to take the time to study, reflect on and start to employ the lessons contained within.

I'm still unclear as to which Hindu path you follow

What a smartist?
I follow the text that's about it I subscribe to no subsect

Cool so in 2026 we're all suddenly going to become saintly.
Great shit

Ah I understand, so then you really can't say that you have to be born Hindu to be Hindu. Since there are so many various cults and subsects in it.

You don't have to fixate on one and follow it. That's zealotry and is best left to Abdul. You just go with it. They're all the same God anyway. After Kaliyuga everything will merge into Shiva. And he will start the cycle again. Hence he's called the Parameshwara ( God of Gods or greatest of all gods )

Nope read the full thing user the transition period is 300 years 2025 is just when the big happening will happen

Yeah pretty much

Well that's one outlook in Hinduism kek

Read this

I did but there are many sub sects that are against and open to initiating non brown people

good thread, OP, it has inspired me to look into hinduism. i already practice calvinism and shintoism at will, but adding another practice to the mix couldn't hurt, right? i'm a theological glutton.

it also says that it only started 1200 years ago.
So I guess the roman empire collapsed during one of the better Yugas.

It's not about you being brown are you honestly this naive ?

>They deem other gods in Hinduism as the devil
you moron
>they teach you Krishna is the Supreme God even though that is implied no where
stupid demigod worshipper
>they even distort Krishna teaching like not focusing too much on bhakti
bhakti is the one thing they focus on
>After Kaliyuga everything will merge into Shiva
shaivite

bhagavad-gita.org/Gita/verse-07-23.html

The book was a gift from my parents when I told them I no longer believed in my Christian upbringing and wished to explore other faiths.

Get ready to read a ridiculous amount of material, and not be able to finish reading it in one life

At the end of it, it's still religion user. Read the scriptures and and enrich your life. Not just Hinduism, but whatever you can find. We'll find out soon enough anyway which religion was right ( or wasn't ). The point still remains to live a good, honest life. That is the principle of karma. It happens everywhere in our books. Even the worst of demons are favoured by Shiva himself because they've adhered to dharma ( for that long and then they went rogue but nvm ). Point is to learn all you can and live a good life.

Why you posting this on Sup Forums? Do you think this is politically related? Do you think any of us give a shit about your shitskin meme religion.

Well user their is no point debating you so carry on.

>Do you think any of us give a shit about your shitskin meme religion.
filthy christkike

No this is pol though faggot, but I'm making a point. There are various opinions among various subjects about initiating people that were not born into it.

What do I need to learn about Brahman?

Again one outlook among many. Calling Hinduism a single religion would be like calling European paganism a single religion. Or even better Hinduism and European paganism a single religions since they're both dharmic

Why isn't Hinduism a single religion,?

Pick your poison then.

Yes

I just got the upanishads and the bhagavad Gita in the mail (also the dhammapada). Which should I read first?

Who gave them to you and start with mythology you won't understand eastern philosophy straight up

Because there are so many different beliefs among it. shaivites, vaishnavas, smartists, tantric shaktism just to name a few and that doesn't even scratch the surface of the various yogas and subsects of each subsect kek

Gita or upanishads first it doesn't matter
I read the upanishads first then the Gita right after if you care

Gita. Although I suggest reading all of the Mahabharata for context. The Gita is a subsection of it, occurs towards the end of the epic.

There is not a huge focus in Hinduism on conversion and on people meeting strict conversion requirements and on people being "official" Hindus or not.

It's just that you will lack the cultural understanding needed to fit in well. However, whether or not you are in the company of other people is totally irreverent to correctly practicing the teachings of Hinduism. If you correctly understand it you can follow it on your own while living in the west among non-Hindus.

Gita is ok, try and get one with a Sanskrit explanation as well. Also the Gita is probably best for vaishnavism. It depends on which branch you're interested in learning about

>pol
Back to Le upboat land with you!

Different paths on the same mountain user you are judging an Eastern religion on the parameters of western religion

It's a mistake to think of these as different religions though because all of them derive their authority from the Vedas and in agreement on the most fundamental points including the monistic viewpoint of all deities just being components of the one ultimate Brahman. Even when some sects claim that actually Shiva or Vishnu is the ultimate godhead and not Brahman that's a relatively minor change compared to all that remains the same.

> Panthiesm

But which teachings though, advaita Vedanta is inherently different from dvaita Vedanta

No I'm not

>I am Hindu

Hinduism is a meme. It's like kekistan shit.
In a way it should be admired because it is sort of like Sup Forums memetic culture, on the other hand it makes it a complete fucking joke.
I've spent a lot of time listening to Hindu speakers like Sadhguru and I can safely say that it's a joke religion. Fundamentally it is completely meaningless, just like ''praising kek''.

The only thing that Hinduism does alright is meditation, and even then the way Hindus approach meditation makes it more confusing and harder to get into than it should be.

But not all of Hinduism is monistic!! That's what I'm saying it's not anything similar to western religions at all! Some say you can initiate others can't. its what I've been saying

>Hinduism is a meme. It's like kekistan shit.
In a way it should be admired because it is sort of like Sup Forums memetic culture, on the other hand it makes it a complete fucking joke.
>I've spent a lot of time listening to Hindu speakers like Sadhguru and I can safely say that it's a joke religion. Fundamentally it is completely meaningless, just like ''praising kek''.
that's your problem you stupid kike
>The only thing that Hinduism does alright is meditation, and even then the way Hindus approach meditation makes it more confusing and harder to get into than it should be.
your problem you stupid kike

>Hinduism is a meme. It's like kekistan shit.
>In a way it should be admired because it is sort of like Sup Forums memetic culture, on the other hand it makes it a complete fucking joke.
>I've spent a lot of time listening to Hindu speakers like Sadhguru and I can safely say that it's a joke religion. Fundamentally it is completely meaningless, just like ''praising kek''.
that's your problem you stupid kike
>The only thing that Hinduism does alright is meditation, and even then the way Hindus approach meditation makes it more confusing and harder to get into than it should be.
your problem you stupid kike

>Hinduism is neither polytheistic, monotheistic, trinitarian or henotheistic, yet it is all at the same time.
So, basically, it is a crock of shit?

>So, basically, it is a crock of shit?
yes!
dirty christkike

It's not one religion in the same way Christianity is. It would be more akin to abrahamism. Aka Judaism/Christianity/Islam/Baha'i

>BCE
into the chamber you go

Have you actually read any of the texts or are you just Shitposting, where are you from

well
it was fun, 4kike

Hiduism isn't anything specific, it's everything you want it to be. Sounds like a load of poo.

Hinduism encourages people to just make up gods. Hinduism doesn't have any gods, but it doesn't shun any gods, so it can pick and choose which gods are ok to worship.
All religions are essentially big PR propaganda campaigns, so you have to look at them in that way. It makes perfect sense from a PR perspective why Hinduism is so vague and contradictory.
Not sure if this is the right video, but I think this explains pretty well Hinduism and their belief in gods
youtube.com/watch?v=1InBj1-VZl8
It's a very silly religion that seems to only exist because of good PR that worked at the time.

Of course I've read the texts silly? I'm from America. Do you want me to list out all of the texts I have read? They're mostly vaishnava

>But not all of Hinduism is monistic!!

It is though. Orthodoxy in Hinduism is determined by agreement with the Vedas which most Indians thinker by now have generally agreed lays out a monistic teaching. Schools of thought that went against monism have typically been ejected from the Hindu tradition and regarded by Hindus as heterodox and non-Hindu.