STUDY: Young American Men Are Choosing Video Games Over Work in Staggering Numbers

>STUDY: Young American Men Are Choosing Video Games Over Work in Staggering Numbers

>New research has found a surprising culprit for the serious decline in working hours among young American men over the last 15 years: video games.

>The decline of young men’s working rate has been steady and substantial over nearly two decades. As of 2016, 15% of men between 21 and 30 were not working or in full-time education—nearly double the 8% rate in 2000. Aggregate hours worked for men in that group fell by 12% between 2000 and 2015, higher than the declines for older male workers.

>A research team including faculty from Princeton and the University of Chicago now argues that “innovations in gaming/recreational computing”— and not, say, lower demand for less-skilled workers—explain as much as 79% of the difference in working rates between younger and older men.

>From the outside, the lives of the young men in question may seem grim. The researchers found that 67% of non-working young men now live with a parent or close relative, compared to 46% of the same group in 2000, suggesting that many are relying on family to support them long-term. They average 520 hours a year on their computers, and 60% of that is spent on gaming.

fortune.com/2017/07/16/video-games-users-men/

===

Have men gone too far this time?

Wouldn't their time be better spent climbing the corporate ladder to improve their prospects of home ownership, marriage, and starting a family?

What do you think about this?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_B._Calhoun#Mouse_experiments)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>15%
Sounds about right. the bottom 20% of men have no mating prospects. Why would they get a job? They aren't going to attract a mate and have no one to provide for

brap

Why do I have a feeling 90% of pol falls within that 15%...

>climbing the corporate ladder
I'd rather use that ladder to tie my noose in a high location.

This.

If I was undateable you really think I'd be a wagie?

Gotta get that bmw money and earn that pusy.

this, the only reason i have a job and travel and continue to try is because i have a chance to mate. it's still a legitimate chance so until the day that goes out the window i might as well keep trying

Both wagies and neets are fucking scum.

Self-employed is true master race

>Wouldn't their time be better spent climbing the corporate ladder to improve their prospects of home ownership, marriage, and starting a family?

Nah im all set man, This world is fucked beyond belief. You couldn't pay me to bring a kid into this world. So im just gonna sit here and play mu vidya games and enjoy my time left on this dump.

>thats the final redpill

This feels like you're phoning it in

>Tfw dated a girl with that body for 5 months
>Fucked the SHIT out of her 6-9 times a day
>she wanted me to be christian
>I said no so she got distant but we kept fucking 9 times a day.
>This continued until we broke up

HOLY fuck I miss that ass. Most I've ever been horny in my life. literally the perfect girl besides her zealous drive for religion. Blonde hair blue eyes too. Hnnngggg

All I wanted in life was a wife and kids, and I would work into forever.
You turned every woman in my generation into a thing that just hates men, shits out stress, and acts like a whore.
Western society has no right to ask anything of it's men.

>and not, say, lower demand for less-skilled workers
fuck off, kikes
you expect us to work the same hours our fathers did with no family, no property, and no savings to show for it

(en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_B._Calhoun#Mouse_experiments)

In July 1968 four pairs of mice were introduced into the habitat. There was no shortage of food or water or nesting material. There were no predators.

The last surviving birth was on day 600, bringing the total population to a mere 2200 mice... This period between day 315 and day 600 saw a breakdown in social structure and in normal social behavior. Among the aberrations in behavior were the following: expulsion of young before weaning was complete, wounding of young, increase in homosexual behavior, inability of dominant males to maintain the defense of their territory and females, aggressive behavior of females, passivity of non-dominant males with increased attacks on each other which were not defended against. After day 600, the social breakdown continued and the population declined toward extinction. Their male counterparts withdrew completely, never engaging in courtship or fighting. They ate, drank, slept, and groomed themselves – all solitary pursuits. Sleek, healthy coats and an absence of scars characterized these males. They were dubbed "the beautiful ones." Breeding never resumed and behavior patterns were permanently changed.

...when all available space is taken and all social roles filled, competition and the stresses experienced by the individuals will result in a total breakdown in complex social behaviors, ultimately resulting in the demise of the population.

Calhoun saw the fate of the population of mice as a metaphor for the potential fate of man. He characterized the social breakdown as a "second death,” with reference to the “second death” mentioned in the Biblical book of Revelation 2:11. His study has been cited by writers such as Bill Perkins as a warning of the dangers of the living in an "increasingly crowded and impersonal world."

>Breeding never resumed

When you say "brap" are you imitating a motor scooter flatulence ?

I only came to post in this thread because I am NEET.
>chronic illness/undateable
>look 10 years younger than I actually am
>don't do drugs or go out to bars
>every job I've had, actual fags try and hit on me because I have DSL
>grils can smell my lack of money

Why bother anyways? Video game girls have never rejected me, onaholes exist and most women my age are bloated whores anyways. Becoming a shut in is the only logical solution.

Why are the guys who complain about women being dirty filthy whores unworthy of marriage completely unfuckable themselves?

I think that's an incredibly shitty article that is desperately trying to pretend through appealing to one solitary study that outsourcing and automation are essentially destroying economic opportunity for the lower skilled and/or less intelligent.

Also, why would you start a family when you can have sex with fuckbuddies or prostitutes instead? Especially with the family court system being the way it is.

>When you say "brap" are you imitating a motor scooter flatulence ?

I am a Neet, and I've grown to enjoy this lifestyle.

I wake up at 10ish. Smoke some weed. Play vidyas. If I ever get horny, I just go jack off real quick and I'm good as new.

My dating prospects are grim, so I don't even try anymore. Long term I expect to get a job, but until then I plan on milking this shit-tier society.

Anyone that wants to work is lying to themselves

I still play games but it's largely because the medium has replaced TV for me. I have a job and a wife.

I work 14 hours a day, and I either sleep or game the rest. Women are worthless

>do nothing
>expect to get a job

Wait what?

Probably because they never learned how to communicate with the opposite sex when they were younger.

>520 hours a year on their computers, and 60% of that is spent on gaming.

Wow fucking casuals.

Agreed, I'm borderline manlet so the only women I'm interested in are Night Elves.

You're unfuckable I guarantee you are:
>socially inept
>skinny-fat
>lower SES
>can only talk about "red pill" realpolitik fantasies.

I'm not unfuckable, I've gotten plenty of tang, but it slips away as soon as money troubles step in. Mating/dating has just become a way to secure money, user. Whores always leave you when you can't buy them trinkets or dinners.

>earn pussy

Not worth it. Not even close.

What could possibly account for the change.

THIS IS LIES
People play vidya because bored. All the single mom welfare queens watch TV all day, its the same shit.

Guaranteed you have a penis below 5 inches. I'm saying 3.5

I work 2 jobs. And It's hard to find the time. I work 40 to 44 hours a week than I work another 12 hours on the weekend. I'm fucking exhausted.

And desu mate a lot of women are stuck up. I work and I can never meet a girl. Never. If I do she's dumb or poorass worse than myself

>yes, tremendously
>no I rock climb and weight lift a bit
>SES?
>not really I hate talking about politics irl, Sup Forums wears me out of it, I do it a bit with my family though they are already conservative
1 hit out of 4

>work
>pay taxes to jews and ooga boogas basically paying for the genocide of your own race

how can vidya even compete?!?

>apply for dozens of jobs
>literally none of them accept my large resume
>only 3 had the decency to deny me
yeah but it's our fault right?

Mah nigga

I'm successful with women with a full time job and I play video games. Holy shit OP BTFO

I have a full time job, a gf, friends, a drinking problem, over time and I still have multiple thousands of hours in dota.

Sleep less, casuals.

WHAT corporate ladder? Used to be that the sport of golf was all part of that Corp culture. Now, golf stores are going under. Next golf courses will be converted to condos or gated community etc. This is a horse shit article so that "Forbes" can blame the little guy for the fact that there's no fucking work for anyone after the boomers. Unemployment (youth) is almost 50% in some EU countries. Sure, blame the victims...fuckin Forbes shills.

THIS

Girls spend HOURS on INSTAGRAM

And, tell you your a loser for spending hours on VIDYA

ALL BULLSHIT

I work full time and that's still basically my life
>/nightshift/ this month
it's comfier than I thought, I might stick to it, 4 shifts/3 days off

low energy, user

>Leaf post.

Good. That means less competition for me.

i know i know i'm trying though...

Its a masterbation article for young men that do have good jobs, like me.

I am serisouly hoping I don't work this saturday. Because I just want to smoke a joint and get shitfaced this friday night.

Not far enough, fuck 3DPD

>Long term I expect to get a job
Come on you know we don't plan on working again ever. You think I'm going to let the Jews have some of my hard earned shekels?

>They average 520 hours a year on their computers, and 60% of that is spent on gaming.
>have over 100 hours gaymen the past 2 weeks according to steam
>spend all day on computer, haven't gone out in days
who /transcended/
in the new NEET world we are the kings

Do they factor in all of the guys that have gone into green cash labor jobs?

Do they account for the dismal, meaninglessness of the "jobs" that are available?

Do they account for the cheap mexicans falling in on jobs on no merit besides diversity quotas?

I'm 6'0", light skinned, somewhat handsome, and have a 7 inch dick. I think I could get a girl rather easily, especially if I hit the gym.
>Have no motive due to the direction humanity is going.
>Depression
FML

OH BOY, haven't seen this thread before. But lets continue taking the bait like good goys. Sage this shit if you feel the need to take someones bait.

>blaming video games
I'd say it's more of a result, not the cause of. If someone that has nothing to do all day because they're not working then they're obviously going to play video games.

>Self-employed is true master race
Self employed at what exactly? What is it that you can offer that massive corporations aren't already doing and undercutting you at every corner?

I don't know how you neets do it.

I took 2 weeks off between my internship and my job after I got my masters and I was depressed as shit immediately after week 1.

>Nah im all set man, This world is fucked beyond belief. You couldn't pay me to bring a kid into this world.

The problem isn't the bad things in the world. The problem is that you don't believe in anything that justifies life despite the bad things. Such is living in a deconstructed, nihilist society.

They need white men to work because taxes from white men almost singlehandedly prop up the welfare state.

Sucks for them, I'll milk NEETbux until the fall.

Sorry I'm not on here 7/24

This.

you passed up on the perfect you fag

you fucked up you idiot.

Praise Christ, brah

This is pretty sad, because now that I'm a little older I barely have any desire to play video games. They're like watching cartoons.
The brain releases pleasure signals as a reward when a gamer accomplishes something in the game. Gamers are addicted to this pleasure. However, it is phony, because there is no real reward, only the stimulation, like a drug.
Parents should keep video game playing to a minimum and make thief kids do things that give them tangible rewards for their time and effort, like starting a business and making money, or learning an important skill.

The important thing here is that you found a way to feel superior to everyone.

I'm actually relatively good looking. Even posted face and bod on Sup Forums and /soc/ 2 years ago on my bday and suprisingly got alot of compliments.
So according to you guys I'm an 8-9/10 but everytime someone qt grill tries to get flirt with me or even talks to me I feel mad and disgusted. Maybe I just hate people.

Don't you ever disrespect drugs by comparing them to video games

>Why would they get a job?

Job would allow them to get money.

Money would allow them to "fix themselves up" (gym membership, personal trainer, plastic surgery, fancy car, education/training which leads to better job and more money, psychiatrist and life coach to help with low self-esteem).

After they've fixed themselves up, they will be able to get girlfriend.

How do I become a wageslave normie and work a crappy job? Note:
>I don't like being told what to do
>I like sitting down whenever I want
>I like playing on my phone whenever I feel like it
>I like being able to take long bathroom breaks
>I like being able to leave when I want

I really don't have the motivation to get a girlfriend. Why should I bother? I can get everything a girlfriend provides from Sup Forums, exhentai, animu and books. I don't want to deal with another person's problems or life.

Also humans are disgusting. They have dingle berries around their arsehole and some of them stink and sweat

>le video games are not real
dude, have you ever done acid? trust me, you'll realize that everything is not "real" and that everything is happening in your brain

KEK....yeah

such a great feel

Money is the worst thing to get addicted to. Self improvement though is key.

They're all probably going to go to school eventually.
Once they're old enough to take it seriously.
Going to college is not something for young people to do, we know this now that we have several generations of people whose lives have been ruined by going to college.
Young people get degrees for jobs they don't want to do, or they fail and drop out trying to get a degree for a job they won't want to do, so even if they get things together and go back to get the degree, after going into massive debt to accomplish this, they still won't want to do the fucking work they learned how to do.
Young men SHOULDN'T be going to fucking college, young men SHOULD be waiting to go to college until they know what they like and what they are willing to do as a career.
The problem is that society thinks you're a fucking loser when you're smart enough to not go into massive debt to get a worthless degree like the majority of women do.
Who can seriously blame them for not wanting to be a god damned wage cuck until they can get their degrees in the future?

I have a job, the crippling social isolation is the real issue here. I could live on in this coffin on this salary forever to be honest. Would be hell but I could.

Good lets these fags play video games all day long. once out of college I'll get to snatch up all the good jobs and get paid doing what I actually enjoy. I'll get to fuck your high school crush, live in a nice home all while you neets beat off to cgi tits.

Makes no sense. Games have been unplayably bad since 2007.

If you really think you can afford all those things by working at McDonalds you're an idiot.

Honestly go into a trade. Go punch holes in the earth for oil, go be a roughneck, get into heavy equipment, get into fabrication, welding etc.All of those careers, and the men that work them are redpilled as fuck, believe me.
That's what I did. I saved away 60-80k in a few years. Around 2015 I got depressed and basically have been living like NEET and living off my savings since then though.

dude, every problem doesn't suddenly go away in a racially homogeneous society.
Japan is probably suffering more to this than the west is

I'm one of those.
tl;dr there is now too little reward, way too much resistance, way too much cost to be a man. It was never this bad. I can't get a good job without going miles above what my parents or grandparents had to do. Meanwhile women and poc have it way easier and are now in competition with us for our birthright except they are in easy lane. During college there was all sorts of money and programs for women/poc, it was staggering. No one gives a fuck about me, I don't give a fuck about society. I wasn't born a 9+ good looking dude either so women don't want me since I'm not motivated enough to be rich in this rigged system.
Just fuck it all, I'm probably going to join the military or something. One of the last places where men can do their thing away from women/poc, or so it seems...

>tfw working AND playing vidyah

i am waiting for death

>go to work and make mr shekelstein rich
i'd rather die childless and alone

grow. the fuck. up.

Oh shit, now I see it.
>less than 2 hours per day on average on the computer - significantly less than the working man's average
>only 60% of that goes to videogames, that's so low they're obviously counting clicking a link to a game someone gave you and laughing for 5 seconds as "playing a game"

>520 hours a year
>not even 2 hours a day avg
Holy shit, the only sad part about this study is how casual the participants are.

>once out of college I'll get to snatch up all the good jobs and get paid doing what I actually enjoy. I'll get to fuck your high school crush, live in a nice home
Migh as well get drumpf to suck you off while sitting on a golden throne

you're gay aswell?

They're not playing single player games. Those are for old people, children, and plebs.

44 hours a week and your exhausted..? try working 12 hours a day for 2.6 years,with little days off and little pay. And when i say little pay i mean like 1 buck and hour. Thats why i have no job now,i just said fuck it,and will try again for the french foreign legion

>They average 520 hours a year on their computers
i probably hit well over 2000 hours per year on my compooper

Found the 7 years old.

DONT U LIEK PUBG BRAH WHATS UR LOL NAME ILL ADD U WANA RANK UP IN CSGO L8R?

I don't know about him but my father does finish work. (Technician and carpentry). There isn't a corporation in America who can match his personal knowledge and expertise or his prices for that matter.

I'm learning from him now, even if it wasn't my dream.

>be asian
>raised and groomed to be betabucks
>disgusting asian roasties turn 30 and all of a sudden i become attractive and they want to "keep their asian heritage" and "have bilingual children"
>dont want these roasties
>keep playing moar games

NEET lyfe

And don't you ever turn your back,
On the real world,
It's such a psychedelic place,
In the real world

>Wouldn't their time be better spent climbing the corporate ladder to improve their prospects of home ownership, marriage, and starting a family?

Might aswell just tax men more and divert their funds directly into womens accounts, it amounts to the same thing. Small homes are the way forward, there is nothing for white males in this society so just opt out and enjoy what time you have on this earth.

Just wait until VR technology improves and waifus become real.

>McDonalds

You don't have to work at McDonalds. And even if you do, you can save your money for some job training. There's "coding" bootcamps popping up all over the place. They'll train you to be a web developer, help you build a portfolio, and even help you find a job. You just need to be focused and committed.