Toronto man builds park stairs for $550, irking city after $65,000 estimate

archive.is/xcdhN
>A Toronto man who spent $550 building a set of stairs in his community park says he has no regrets, despite the city’s insistence that he should have waited for a $65,000 city project to handle the problem. The city is now threatening to tear down the stairs because they were not built to regulation standards.
>Retired mechanic Adi Astl says he took it upon himself to build the stairs after several neighbours fell down the steep path to a community garden in Tom Riley Park, in Etobicoke, Ont. Astl says his neighbours chipped in on the project, which only ended up costing $550 – a far cry from the $65,000-$150,000 price tag the city had estimated for the job.
>“I thought they were talking about an escalator,” Astl told CTV News Channel on Wednesday.
>Astl says he hired a homeless person to help him and built the eight steps in a matter of hours.

Im not quite sure how to feel about this. If the stairs were built to code would the city still be justified in tearing it down?

Power tripping faggots

>Astl says he hired a homeless person to help him

ffs

I bet he paid below min wage

>$550
Probably bought the lumber at Home Hardware. Could've done it for less.

$10 for 3 hours

>which only ended up costing $550 – a far cry from the $65,000-$150,000 price tag the city had estimated for the job.

Seriously though, why does nobody expose the corruption between local politicians and construction companies?

He made the mistake of being a white male. Always get a minority or a woman to represent you so you can cry racism/soggy knees in response to any criticism.

oh no!

the goyum know they can fill potholes themselves

shit!!!

this city blows money like no other, fucking disgusting

are you just learning now that our government is incompetent?

I say put that old man and his homeless bum incharge.

This story is retarded... now the city gonna have to tear down this guys shitty steps because if someone falls they can blame the city for the shit for not removing this fucks make shift steps.

If anything though he will have the real steps quicker.

Is this a meme?

Asshole didnt even make them handicap accessible, my power scooter cant go down those steps, tear em down

MR TRUDEAU TEAR DOWN THESE STAIRS AND BUILD SOME CULTURALLY SENSITIVE AFRICAN STAIRS.

jesus christ

the homeless guy wouldn't even be able to pay for the calories he burned

Reminds me of a vacation to Victoria BC I took where they had just painted these fag flag crosswalks that cost $14000 each according to the news lmao

What are you going to do about it, arrest them?

I just got done building a deck myself. I live on the county, yet I still had to have three separate building inspections, a septic site inspection, and $300 in various fees. I really hate government.

>Im not quite sure how to feel about this
cuck

sorry forgot my flag.

Yeah and after one winter that shit tier wood rots, some fat woman breaks her leg on a rotten step and sues him for a million

4rd d. chess

do it for the party.

the city should tear down those stairs, he's a mechanic, not an engineer.

but they should reimburse him and get a better price for the stairs. the problem is that the city is most likely responsible for the stairs should something happen.

at most that's a 12,000 USD job if you wanted to do it with concrete and some nice cast iron railing. I'm talking real nice.

No way that should put the city out of pocket for more than 5k if they built wooden stairs with some decorative railing.

Good job you bought all those guns to prevent government pushing you around lmao

>make shitty tiny half-assed stairs with only one guardrail and no safety oversight
>act upset when the public authority needs to rip them up because when they inevitably fail due to your shitty lowes lumber and crap nails the city gets sued

There is nothing to prevent your drunken ankle from tipping over the one side of them there. Theyre shit and i hate them
>lolberg paves a road, disaster ensues
There is no sealant on his particle boards. Will rot in three weeks. Slippery af

>A guy potentially saved the city 149,450 buckaroos
>leaf says he doesnt know how to feel about it

rofl, jesus you sound terribly incompetent

looks like it's treated wood.

I don't think faggots or cripples can use it, so we'll have to sue you for six gorillion dollars.

A hero to us all.

I fucking know.
In my town, they spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on preliminary studies finding out how much projects will cost.
Jesus fucking Christ.

need more culturally sensitive stairs white boi made of rocks loosely joined with dung and spit yeeeaah mah nigga.

Those steps aren't diverse enough.
There should be an incline plane, you abliest scum.
Also, there's a huge Indian population in Canaduh.
Where's the toilet paper?

At the top you find vaginas

I had my AR on my back when the inspectors came out. I guess that's some consolation.

In my city an old man threw white paint on thm

Why the fuck did he not build them to regulation? What a retard

Government is shit.

But those stairs look poorly designed.

> 12,000 for concrete and rebar

You're a faggot. I would do it for less than $2,000

No, this isn't power tripping.

This is corruption.

this

tear em up and pave it with white boi bones nigga

Sounds like they hit you with fees for being a passive aggressive bitch

>Seriously though, why does nobody expose the corruption between local politicians and construction companies?
The Single-entry bookkeeping system is literally built for this kind of theft.

Theyd be chipped to fuck and made from ground teeth or some shit

yes faggot
these contracts are given to the lowest bidders, aka "preferred" "contractors"

Are all Canadians this retarded?

What a bigot. Cars had done burn outs on the ones in Victoria.

those stairs look like a lawsuit waiting to happen

yeah inshallah nigga we make it out of gay wite boi teefz

based af

You can get rice for 1350 calories per dollar

He's not a chink, user.

Nah, the inspector was cool. They don't hit you with fees if you piss them off, they just fail you for ridiculous things.

For example, on my deck, I had to have three inspections at certain stages of construction. Each inspection could be a different inspector. So, if you were to piss off the second or third inspector, he could go back and say the footers aren't up to code and you'd have to rip everything out and start over.

What are you talking about? Montreal's $700K gazebo, $2M granite stumps, $13M fountain upgrade, and $40M bridge lights are totally great value for our tax dollars.

>Where's the toilet paper?
Curry Streetshitter here,

Nigga just use your fingers

>click on other stories on site
>find this
They killed a white babby to give this nigglet hands

He's canadian, I'm sure he knows all about rice

I'm sure you could build a house for that price too, if you can find the right materials to steal, spic.

A small section of road near where I kice, probably less than 100 ft, cost over $3.8 million and is rising everyday. Been under three contractors already and it's been nearly a year since they started. Construction and cities are a hotbed for rampant autism.

free market fixed it.

You think those are baby arms fucktard

They gave it a 65 grand estimate because that is how everyone gets paid

I personally guarantee you the stairs will be taken down.

full-sized image

babby hand stealing nigger detected

No kidding, that's a fuckton for that little amount of wood

40M bridge lights? What are they lined with diamonds?

My town on long island is so fucking corrupt because of all the back scratching between wops.

I work in local government, AMA

>It doesn't matter that doing something is bad as long as it's not quite as bad as this other thing.

Corrupt officials should get the death penalty.

Rice itself is not adequate nutrition. Kale costs ~$2 a bundle, which weighs out to ~200 grams of leaf matter; you're supposed to eat a minimum of 700g of nutritious vegetable matter a day to remain healthy, and also 400g of fruits - vegetables and fresh produce in general are expensive, while also having very littel calories per dollar. And you can't expect a homeless man to cook rice. And rice itself tastes unpalatable, just plain carbs. Poor people cannot afford nutritious calories, it's a fact.

looks like a shit hole.

It will cost the town 10K or more to rip them out.

People are shitting on this and I don't get why, this is fucking brilliant. The government can complain about them not being to code, but the truth is that he has single-handedly exposed the ridiculous corruption endemic to publicly funded projects such as these. He wasn't trying to prove he could do the job just as well for far less, he's highlighting just how fucking ridiculous the 65k price tag is. Even if it cost 10x more to build this to regs, which is stupidly generous, where does the other 60k go? I would genuinely like the answer to that question.

>I thought they were talking about an escalator
Ha

Wait, wrong image.

>Adi
Fucking Nazi, i hope the fine his ass and burn the stairs after they build a wall around it.

>UN Fag

Opinion discarded

It's good enough.

Crap job but good initiative.

How bad is it and what is the most common waste of tax dollars?

He gets food for free.

what, do you want your kneecaps broken or something friend

He should have waited for the city to pay Schlomo Goldsteinberg construction co. to build it using non cis white male labour.

ffs, the original image in the story is 960x540. why did you post such a shitty resolution? you're just like this old fuck, with his rickety ass stairs and your rickety ass image. fuck you.

it is not corrpution. politicians and government emplyees are just that stupid. dont need to think when it is other people's money you spend

low how steep those steps are, wouldn't be surprise if this old fag himself gets kill in it.

An old man built some stone steps down the escarpment here in hamilton at a place people had been asking the city to do. Well the city was pissed but everyone likes them so they just put a sign warning people.

>treads 3'-0" wide
>stringers spaced 12" apart

I have no image for how triggered I am

Homeless eat better than the working poor.

Sorry that my choice of aesthetic flag that serves no purpose other than to stop things like SWEDEN YES or A FUCKING LEAF upset you so much, aussie.

the funny thing about my back it's that its located on my cock.

Over the pond you lads all have this blame and sue culture, that has slowly seeped over to europe over the years.

I would that say they shouldnt tear it down, but if they dont they will just get some person who will fall down it break their leg and end up suing because of buidling regulation violations.

I came across a similar case at work the other day where some work mate had fitted a disabled toilet, sink and handrails to an out of date drawing.
It was only until later that when someone from the council got a tape mesaure out ready to sign it off only to realise that it was fitted incorectly and had to be ripped out along with 2 other disabled toilets in the buidling costing a total of nearly £10,000!
(Pic related the drawing that should have been used.)

two stringers right in the middle. first fuck that steps on the edge is going to roll down that hill and sue that old fuck. what a shit job.

could buy a pot to cook the rice, a sack of rice and a bottle of vitamins and still have $ left over

He could have gone to the nearest process pharma or chemical plant and gotten some sweet aluminium with no slip treads stairway with compliant handrails for free as they are constantly tearing them down for different set-ups.

>aka "preferred" "contractors"
aka union mafia