BROKEN: Help! My 3-Year-Old Is Obsessed With Trump

My 3-year-old daughter is obsessed with Donald Trump.

This is a problem if 1) you live in New York City, 2) you are liberal, 3) your friends are liberal, 4) your daughter attends a liberal school and 5) your relatives are affected by the Trump administration’s travel ban.

Yassi, my daughter, attends the kind of school that made counseling available in the wake of the 2016 presidential elections. Parents stood together comforting one another on Nov. 9 in an act of collective mourning that I hadn’t seen since Sept. 11. This is probably exactly the type of school that the Trump voters were hating on with their epic middle finger raised to the elites of this country.

On that same morning, Yassi made few friends by screaming “Donald Trump!” at the top of her lungs in the crowded stairwell to her school. People whirled around to find the traitor. Red-faced and humiliated, I pulled her aside and said, “Shhhh, Yassi, we do not scream these things at school.” And so, an expletive was born, much more potent than any four-letter word.

“Annabel,” she would say, turning to her best friend, “I want to tell you a secret.” Annabel would dutifully move closer.

“Donald Trump!” Yassi would do her 3-year-old best to whisper, which, of course, turned out to be a poorly modulated stage whisper audible to anybody nearby.
Continue reading the main story

“What’s your name, little girl?” kindly strangers would ask her in the checkout line of a grocery store, or at the playground.

“Donald Trump,” she would answer slyly, delighted by the explosion of giggles she elicited.

Other urls found in this thread:

nytimes.com/2017/07/20/opinion/donald-trump-obsession-liberal-kid.html?action=click&contentCollection=Opinion&module=Trending&version=Full®ion=Marginalia&pgtype=article
archive.is/1yBbp
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The next generation is gonna be great.

2/

We had to leave a play date early because the kids — upon Yassi’s encouragement — kept calling one another “Donald Trump” until one little girl dissolved into tears. “Your daughter keeps talking about Donald Trump,” Yassi’s teacher reported, eyeing me suspiciously as if my morning news routine started (and ended) with Breitbart.

It all began during the campaign, when Mr. Trump seemed like little more than a joke and nobody thought he had a fighting chance. “Who do you want to win the election, Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump?” I would ask Yassi. “Donald Trump!” she would scream excitedly.

Who could blame her? He shared a first name with Donald Duck, and his last name rhymed with “jump,” her favorite activity. She was never able to pronounce Hillary Clinton, which evolved into “Hairy Clinton,” and then finally, “Mustache.” (I can’t pretend to follow a toddler’s logic, but it appears this was one more demographic with which Secretary Clinton failed to resonate.)

After the election, his name, like everything else, was no longer very funny. To me, Yassi’s obsession with Donald Trump represented the radical disjuncture between the brave new world we adults came to inhabit and the innocent world of a child, where even the names of autocratic despots are reduced to lyrical rhymes. Kids are sponges, and every conversation — public and private — was saturated with his name.

For Persian New Year, in March, Yassi’s grandparents gave her cherubic twin baby dolls, one dressed in blue overalls, the other in a light pink dress. Naturally, Yassi named them Donald Trump and Mustache. “You can’t name a baby doll ‘Donald Trump,’ ” I admonished her, trying not to laugh. Not that Mustache was much more becoming.

Of course, the best way to get a 3-year-old to continue doing something annoying is to try to stop her. So we bathed Donald Trump, dressed Donald Trump in his blue overalls and then gently put Donald

Trump to bed next to his twin.

“Doesn’t Donald Trump look cozy in his new bed?” I asked her as baby Donald Trump snuggled under the covers of his little trundle bed.

“Mommy, Donald Trump is my best friend,” she replied.

With his blinking blue eyes and small tuft of blond hair, baby Donald Trump seemed more like a joke than a threat to the world order. As Sigmund Freud theorized, by turning something threatening into a game, we rob it of its power over us. In this way, play transforms a passive experience into an active one, allowing the child to gain mastery over a threat. Yassi was onto something.

Her childish irreverence for authority made me realize the way even liberals give Mr. Trump too much importance by parsing every tweet and speaking about him in hushed tones. It’s easy to feel powerless by the deluge of depressing headlines. But by subverting his authority even in subtle, silly ways, we loosen his herculean grasp on us.

One day, when Yassi’s father came home from work, she motioned to his ear. “Can I ask you something?” He obediently leaned down.

“Donald Trump,” she whispered triumphantly.

“O.K., Yassi, let’s try something else. Can you say Vladimir Putin?” He winked. “After all, that’s who’s really in charge here.”

“Vladimir Poopy?” she asked, and then began giggling hysterically.
------

Annie Pfeifer is an assistant professor in the department of international literary and cultural studies at Tufts University.

nytimes.com/2017/07/20/opinion/donald-trump-obsession-liberal-kid.html?action=click&contentCollection=Opinion&module=Trending&version=Full®ion=Marginalia&pgtype=article

>She was never able to pronounce Hillary Clinton, which evolved into “Hairy Clinton,” and then finally, “Mustache.”
suddenly, my fears about the future are lessened

Here's the archive
archive.is/1yBbp

Noteworthy Points:

1. This woman is fucking delusional. She wants her daughter to stop talking about Donald Trump. So what does she do? Reinforces it at every step because "of course" telling a child to stop doing something only makes them do it (because as a parent you won't correct their behavior).
2. Psychological (((counseling))) for children, because Trump was elected? Seriously?
3. The constant scolding by annoying authority figures is 100% influencing the young generation to rebel against their irritating authority and obvious emotional dependence on Trump's existence. (i.e. just saying "Trump" can emotionally upset millions of people's physical bodies, which is hilarious and fucked)

>he would answer slyly, delighted by the explosion of giggles she elicited
Trolling so young...
If you wanna freak her out show her the violence antifa are doing. Teach her the value of talking to people in hushed tones so she can amass a RWDS

I laughed at that part as well. This woman has absolutely no concept of how to parent effectively.

>implying this automatically makes her conservative

this kinda behavior only shows that she has troll like tendencies and gets amused by other peoples confusion and anguish

a true Sup Forumsack in the making and a future NEET

>3 years old and already breaking the conditioning

No one is implying that this makes her conservative, where are you getting that?

>this kinda behavior only shows that she has troll like tendencies and gets amused by other peoples confusion and anguish
I agree with this, however.

This is literally one of the most formative experiences of her young life, which is the "trunk" of the tree that we grow into, if you can follow the metaphor. Early experiences shape who we become. This girl will forever remember the power of Donald Trump and the magical power she can invoke simply by saying his name to New York liberal kikes.

>Yassi
YASSSSSSSS

Hold bitch your saying the election of trump is similar too 9/11. Damn you must stupid...oh thats right you said your a liberal. thats answers all my questions.

YASSSI QUEEN SLAY

>when you're 3 years old and your mother is a liberal kike so you pretend to be trump just to spite her

Yassi is a Jewish name.

Yes kids get fascinated by completely random things all the time. A 3 year old of course has no understanding of politics. They just like the way a name sounds, or the reaction adults give when they say it.

How come no one is focusing on the more interesting part of this article:

>Yassi, my daughter, attends the kind of school that made counseling available in the wake of the 2016 presidential elections. Parents stood together comforting one another on Nov. 9 in an act of collective mourning that I hadn’t seen since Sept. 11.

What the fuck?! How is this remotely normal or acceptable? These people literally live in a different universe than the rest of us.

Can you imagine if a school in Texas or somewhere held a mourning session and counseling if Clinton won? Can you imagine the reactions liberals would have to that information?

Can u get your toddler to say "gas the kikes" instead??

>3 year old attending school

You lying sack of shit

This """opinion""" shit article occupies a significant percentage of the main page of the NYTIMES.
It's really hilarious.

Why are they doing this? Its almost as if they wanted to make fun of themselves.

Trump is a character, he's fun and charismatic, and kids can pick up on that. I think they also see him as a father figure, something most of them don't really have.

>But by subverting his authority even in subtle, silly ways, we loosen his herculean grasp on us.

i blame millenial parents for consuming and vomiting "politics" 24/7. fucking give the kid crayons and legos, and check every hour or so to see if the kid choked and/or died on the toys

also, construction paper was a fucking treat. scissors, crayons, paper, and almost quite literally random garbage (bubble wrap, scrap newspaper/leaflets, paper clips, anythign cardboard).

theres no fucking way the kid would care about any president if you give it a couple bouncy balls

>Who could blame her? He shared a first name with Donald Duck, and his last name rhymed with “jump,” her favorite activity. She was never able to pronounce Hillary Clinton, which evolved into “Hairy Clinton,” and then finally, “Mustache.” (I can’t pretend to follow a toddler’s logic, but it appears this was one more demographic with which Secretary Clinton failed to resonate.)

>“O.K., Yassi, let’s try something else. Can you say Vladimir Putin?” He winked. “After all, that’s who’s really in charge here.”

>“Vladimir Poopy?” she asked, and then began giggling hysterically.

that's cute as fuck desu