/beg/ Burger education general

How do we fix the American school system?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=13qeX98tAS8
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_operations
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

oh and for anyone asking the answer is 1

5(2*2)=20

20/20=1

I am 100% sure the teacher did not understand basic mathematics like most elementary school teachers. This is not common core's fault.

Does the US really not teach to do brackets first?

if you're moving the denominator to one side you have to start with (equation)=0. hat ends up with 20/0 when moved
does not equal 1

Welcome to the thread American hope you will enjoy your stay you might even learn some basic math

20/5(2*2)
20/5*4
4*4
How can you honestly fuck it up so bad.

/5
20/5(2*2)
20/5*4
4*4
This is correct, OP show your flag burger.

haha this shit is like the enfranchisement test from louisiana

Wtf I live in America and still in school and never seen/ have been taught this bullshit ever before, not even my younger brother deals with this and hes in 6th now

So either these pics are fake to me America look fucking retarded or it's just kikes trying to be funny

Yes they do, I was taught this

>really makes you think

huh.. so this is how you subtract

2x2=4
20/5=4
4x4=16

What does it mean by both are correct? Where does 1 come into play?

It's 1,
The 5 acts explicitly on the 4, it is not multiplication, that is why after taking away the brackets you do 5(4) before division.

1 comes into play, when you are so retarded, that you assume 5(2*2) comes before 20/5.

Op has tried to move the denominator to the right, therefor missing the key step of the equation starting with =0 as pointed out. Therefor, OP is a prime example of the US' education failure.

this is what I got

Because little burger, division and multiplication have the same order so they have to be done first. thats why the question could be both 16 or . But usually you do brackets first which is why the right answer should be 1.

1 comes into play when you aren't a subhuman and can understand the order of operations

They didn't write the multiplication sign, because they wanted 5(2*2) to come first. They wrote it like that because mathematicians are lazy. The answer is only one if you express the equation as
20/(5(2*2))

it doesn't

the people in this thread cannot into math

the answer is only 16. the reason they are confused is because the question is poorly formatted.

this for the love of god.

you could write this as 20/(5(2x2)) but it should be known so they don't, but because half of you are so retarded I had to.

Maybe you should listen to countries that rank higher in the OECD than murica.

>t. new Norwegian

The answer is 1. Learn order of operations

pretty sure 16 is the correct answer anyway. parantheses first then left to right, e .g.

20/5(2*2)

20/5(4)

4(4)

arrays are rows x columns, so there's nothing wrong with points being docked for getting it backwards.

>Sup Forums in charge of basic shit

Welcome to the thread Euroman hope you will enjoy your stay you might even learn some basic math

I think the correct solution is to have people stop writing questions out in ways that will never be relevant in the real world.

Nearly all ambiguity is removed when people use more brackets.

What kind of credentials do you need to become a teacher (elementary school, junior high, and/or high school) in the US?

yep the answer is one. ONLY one. They'll drop that common core crap (whatever it is) when their new bridges and skyscrapers start to collapse before they are even finished because they were dumb enough to let their future engineers believe that an easier method that gives a different answer is "equally correct"
>equally
Is that what it's about equality and "muh feels". In math class? jeeezzz

1. exist

Sorry burgers, we all rank higher in maths. It's okay to be wrong.

>pic related

They are both correct. It's sort of ambiguous. There still are two competing conventions for the order of operations for multiplication and division.
>Do multiplications and divisions in the order they appear from left to right. In other words, multiplication and division have the same precedence. Then 20/5(2+2) would means (20/5)(2+2).
>Do multiplications first, then divisions. In other words, multiplication has a higher precedence than division. Then 20/5(2+2) would mean 20/(5(2+2)).
Of these two conventions, the first seems to be more common, but there aren't any international conventions on these specific mathematical notations.

Same. A little thing called pemdas would appearebtly be very helpful to a lot of Sup Forumslacks here.

How in the fuck are there two competing conventions? This is lunacy.

Literally segregate the schools.

This "common core" bullshit, and the constant demand for dumbed-down tests is because niggers are too stupid to pass, and their parents get rustled and blame the system. Not to mention that a classroom that's 30% niggers is full of distractions due to all the chimping-out, and also the teacher has to slow everything down to help them.

t., substitute teacher who taught in a ghetto district for 2 years

What, you couldn't write it out yourself so you had to use an online maths equation solver?

We have to carry 40%(asians carry themselves) of the nonwhites remember we only 56% white

US whites are right where they should be.

Looks like an exercise to help children understand the modular nature of numbers.

If you look closely, Eesti is one step ahead in maths that you aussies. Don't worry though, maybe next year?

Alright lads lets do some real math

Find x and y

US ranks way higher when you only look at say new england without the tumorous bible belt/midwest full of dipshit conservacucks dragging us down

Wait what?
20/5(2*2)=
5(4)=20
How is there 16 and 1?

>multiplication and division are the same in the same order of operation in America
>we put a man on the moon
>1 is not the answer unless written like 20/(5(2*2)) or if you're retarded

Gr8 b8

Pic

Provide children with free, defluoridated drinking water. Brains operate more efficiently when hydrated, fluoride has an intelligence lessening effect.

Provide the children with more opportunities to do things physically, aka exercise. Children who exercise;re smarter than those who do not.

Introduce meditation time. It makes the mind stronger and more resistant towards stress.

Bam, solved the problem.

math is all about consistency, for example order of operations doesn't strictly follow PEMDAS when programming, and obviously math still makes sense as long as you stick to a given convention consistently/know what the impact will be on your result

Hey euro, why is american education so interesting to you?

PEMDAS

New England is smart because it's white. Cali has a lower average IQ than Texas, and Kansas has a higher average IQ than New York.

>20/5=5

>bible belt education

trumpcuck genocide when

>both answers are equally correct
Sorry, I don't understand. Can someone explain this to me? How is it possible for both to be correct?

>real math
Come on dude, this isn't even hard.

how the fuck did you calculate 20/5 as 5? 20/5 = 4. dipshit.

>american education

i know that's always Sup Forums's cop-out, but of course they conveniently skip over states like west virginia and kentucky, which are 95/90% white respectively.

conservashits fear education, it's one of many reasons why yankees outsource our cheap dumb labor to them and why our states are powered by information economies while theirs aren't.

20/5(2*2)
20/5*4
20/20=1
Jesus

There is no fixed convention for interpreting expressions such as a/bc. One of the reasons is that historically, fractions were written with a horizontal line between the numerator and denominator. When one writes the above expression that way, one either puts bc under the horizontal line, making that whole product the denominator, or one just makes b the denominator and puts c after the fraction. Either way, the meaning is clear from the way the expression is written. The use of the slant in writing fractions is convenient in not creating extra-high lines of text; but for that convenience, we pay the price of losing the distinction that came from how the terms were arranged horizontally and vertically.
>Dunning–Kruger effect

>kid adds 5 3 times and saves himself time
>"NO! DO IT SO THERE'S MORE WORK INVOLVED!"

Females created this, didn't they.

B8

PEMDAS gives you 16. The division precedes the multiplication in both parenthetical and non-parenthetical aspects.You're multiplying the parenthesis, aren't you? YES.

>work from left to right
you should take the advice from you picture lad

20 divided by 5 is 4, not 5. 4 times 4 is 16.

The old way was never the old way. It has always been the correct way. People think PEMDAS is in the PEMDAS order but it's operation pairs in the order that they appear from left to right.

It can be PEMDAS. It can also be PEDMAS, PEDMSA and PEMDSA.

Fuck off, commies. Like I told the teaching lady the only numbers I need to know is 9 and 11.

it gives you 5(2*2)=20 first

Nice appeal to authority argument you dumb fuck

Multiplication comes before Division.
Multiplication from left to right.
Then Division from left to right.

BODMAS

Brackets
Orders
Division
Multiplication
Addition
Subtraction

The thing is your chart has M&D and A&S in their same respective tiers, which, if their orders are considered equal in their respective tiers leads to the answer being 16. Only when M takes precedence over D, and A over S does the answer become 1. Your chart and answer don't match. You basically ignored your chart.

P Parentheses comes first (4)
E No exponents so ignore
M Multiplication comes next (5*4)
D Division comes last
The answer is 1

How does one take 2 from 5? 8+5 is 13. That kid was right

The convention in algebra of denoting multiplication by juxtaposition (putting symbols side by side), without any multiplication symbol between them, has the effect that one sees something like ab as a single unit, so that it is natural to interpret ab+c or a+bc as a sum in which one of the summands is the product ab or bc. Without that typographic convention, the order-of-operations convention might never have evolved. When one has numbers rather than letters, one can't use juxtaposition, since it would give the appearance of a single decimal number, so one must insert a symbol such as ×, and there is less natural reason for interpreting 2 × 3 + 4 as (2 × 3) + 4 rather than 2 × (3 + 4), but I suppose that we do so by extension of the convention that arose in the algebraic context. Likewise, because addition and subtraction constitute one "family" of operations, and multiplication and division another, and perhaps also because the slant "/" doesn't seem to separate two expressions as much as a + or − does, we are ready to read a/b+c etc. as involving division before addition. But when it comes to a/bc, where the operations belong to the same family, the left-to-right order suggests doing the division first, while the "unseparated letters" notation suggests doing the multiplication first; so neither choice is obvious.

Are you ready to apologize?

kekd

Parenthesis DOES NOT put priority on the operations OUTSIDE it. You still divide the 20/5 before you would multiply the 5 * 4

In America we learn 20/(5(2*2)) = 1
20/5(2*2) = 16

> I guess you disagree with OP

Written like you say

-------- = 1
5(2*2)

>how written in OP pic, answer is 16, unless you're in the 1600s

>muh moon landing
So you did, by pouring enormous amounts of money at the project. You might have saved a bit of money if you could into math
youtube.com/watch?v=13qeX98tAS8

I just put it into a scientific calculator, the answer is 1 my dude

bump

Is it true that both are correct? Is this some law of mathematics that I'm not aware of? Because 1 != 16, which is what's confusing me about this. How can something be one thing, and yet not? Just trying to understand the reasoning behind what the teacher is saying.

>Multiplication comes before Division.
you dun goofed

True, I ignored my chart. I chose it simply for the PEMDAS which is the order. I don't know why they have the tier thing. PEDMSA isn't a thing.

PEMDAS, which one comes first, the M or the D

Can confirm. Both ways add up to 1.

It has made me fucking retarded

Multiplication and division are two sides of the same coin retard. They have the same priority which means you go left to right.

x=4
y=5
Easy

Notice lack of any sign between 5 and ().
it's akin to 1/5x, which is (1 / ( 5 * x) ), not ((1 / 5) * x)

Seriously just read the wikipedia article. The answer is 16. Multiplication doesn't come before division, no matter how much you spam PEMDAS. They're at the same tier, so you work across.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_operations

HOLY FUCK THANKYOU

Retards at pol can't into fucking math apparently. Inbreds

i apologize for trigger yuro horses and american trolls by telling them how to solve kindergarten problems.

It seems to depend on whether you express the the 20 divided by 5 as:

20÷5 or 20/5 (as in 20 OVER 5)

In the first case, the only number affected by the (2x2) brackets is the 5, and so you get an answer of 1, whereas in the second case, it is being expressed as a fraction and is therefore treated differently. both the 20 and the 5 are multiplied by the bracket, and you end up with 16.

Someone failed math

x=14-2y

2(14-2y)+3y=23
28-4y+3y=23
-y=-5
y=5

x+2*5=14
x=14-10
x=4

God damnit, I AM a retard.
Can I at least blame this on the American education system? No?
Alright, whatever..

I've explained multiple times, but maybe it was a bit too long if you're an ADHD American. It's not your fault anyway.
Rather than burdening our memories with a mass of conventions, and setting things up for misinterpretations by people who have not learned them. We should learn how to be unambiguous. We should use parentheses except where firmly established conventions exist.

>They are both correct. It's sort of ambiguous
Off yourself, please. You clearly haven't taken any math classes other than Calculus

20 / 5(2*2)
20 / 5(4)
20 / 5 * 4