Any smart stock market types here?

Any smart stock market types here?

Can someone explain how Microsoft is killing it, Azure $$ doubling every quarter, has great earnings, but stock down today??

Gold silver lead.

Gold for large purchases and as a hedge to voltility

Silver for daily purchases

Lead to protect famalam and your gold and silver.

If people think they are going to peak, they will bail and the stock will go down

Oil probably a better investment commodity at this point.

I just don't see anything that would make people think they've peaked. Azure quickly gaining on AWS. Office 365 still ramping up and is HUGE cash cow.

I'm not a stock market guy but a uni researcher working in an HPC-focused field.

In my experience the success stems from having 'good' sales people who convince clueless (in terms of IT knowledge) management sorts to buy into their schemes using assorted buzzwords over the heads of computer literate people and forcing through huge overpriced package deals.

There's something of a war going on at my university at the moment since the IT department headed by one such management type bought into a huge Microsoft scheme and is trying to force everyone else at the university to use those resources exclusively, effectively making the IT department into a Microsoft vendor with a local monopoly. One wonders if the guy in charge gets a commission...

Anyway the more computer literate and computation-dependent researchers (including my group) figured out that we can get our own machines and infrastructure at a fraction of the cost of the Microsoft solutions and have been doing just that. The IT department does their best to stop this, calling every hardware order into question and delaying it by months, trying to petition the central university administration to force us to buy services through the IT department, making the uni administration force us to have meetings with Microsoft sales reps, etc.

That's just my tuppence and probably only part of the story.

stocks are affected by public opinion and prediction of future gains.

and also most of the publicly traded stuf is super manipulated by neural net trading bots

This. Office 365 and the new expensive as fuck surface pro laptops are going to catch a lot of that hipster-formerly-Apple-fanboys.

The future is looking pretty good for Microsoft.

and btw microsoft is currently in the midst of a huge transformation from monetizing it's historical main source of income into service and information based revenue. alot of investors are gonna wait and see how it unfolds before they would pour more money into it

I'd be pretty angry

Microsoft has no future in its core business and everyone knows it.

And Azure may be a good cloud service, but Amazon still is way above it.

a bit harsher then how i worded it but you got the jist

Azure is shit. The products arnt even in house creations just shit slapped together from third parties. Latency and performance are notoriously bad.

There is a huge shilling campaign and native advertising effort around windows 10, surface devices, and the """"""new"""""" windows.

It's all lies and the hipsters I know are certainly not trading in their MacBooks. Windows essentially has lock in for corporate environments and office. That's it. New startups and the future companies are all BYOD or MacBooks. Microsoft is going to continue to find new growth as they play "me too!" With every new idea that Amazon and Google shit out. Also Microsoft has _zero_ mobile presence. Mobile is the future, you won't have a regular desktop in 10 years, which means you won't be using Microsoft except for maaaaybe office.

MSFT has already rallied something like 35% YTD and they have a stretched valuation at a P/E ratio of around 25-26. Most of these big tech companies have had huge pops in their share price since Trump's election based on tax cuts which probably aren't coming, nearly all of them are incredibly overvalued - particularly Amazon, Tesla and Netflix.

The NASDAQ is in the 2nd Tech Bubble right now and it will reverse hard within 18 months or so. Stay away from tech stocks and stay away from the market in general unless you know what you're doing.

Also note that chart is slightly outdated, the NASDAQ is even higher now at 6380.

Expectations is king.

gov contractor here. looked at azure and amazon to fulfill needs prescribed by multiple departments of a prominent gov agency. It will end up being Amazon despite autistic linux retard claiming he can build the infrastructure on site to accomplish goals.

So far we're winning the 'war' but yeah it's pretty annoying.

>transformation from monetizing it's historical main source of income into service and information based revenue

Yes agree. Earning report and call with CEO yesterday indicated as much, and things going great, and all that. And payoff seems to be huge. That's why I'm scratching my head on the stock price being down today. If ANY other company released that kind of info they did yesterday, stock would have jumped about 10%. And you might be on to something about manipulation and call/put options

it started transitioning it's core business a few years ago. buying Linkedin was big part of that.

All those macbooks have Office, and in the long run, that pays more. Monthly subscription service versus one time purchase.

yes true, the bump up in stock price was probably already there, and that's why it didn't happen after yesterday's earnings beat.

dunno about a 2nd bubble. same indicators not there.

Do you think it was the fact that Azure is Microsoft is why you're going with AWS? ie Microsoft still has bad reputation?

is it cost or being able to choose what you want that you like?

>dunno about a 2nd bubble. same indicators not there.
You have to be kidding me, even mainstream financial outlets recognise the insane bubble in tech at this point. Valuations are at ridiculous levels right now across the whole stock market with tech being the most stretched of all sectors. But I guess it's difficult to convince someone that there's a bubble when they own a large amount of stocks...

Mfw i am riding on Office365 cash cow

Shouldn't this be in

I love my surface pro

>uni researcher working in an HPC-focused field
I'm certain you do good work in your field but you clearly don't understand how real world businesses and enterprise IT infrastructure works. MS managed to sell their office products, AD, mail etc as a subscription service. And they also managed to virtualize these enterprises entire Windows IT infrastructure.

MS killed the need for businesses to own their own server park. MS buys server hardware in bulk and let's companies reduce their server park, IT staff etc to a minimum.