What's the best version of the Bible?

Looking to read the Bible but there's a ton of different versions. Which one is Sup Forums approved?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Orthodox-Study-Bible-Hardcover-Christianity/dp/0718003594
pidginbible.org/Concindex.html
youtube.com/watch?v=FAgDXZfOfx0
youtu.be/3_2T47PAIkM
m.youtube.com/watch?v=IWawfP5Sj0k
m.youtube.com/watch?v=zyLGGVJzbFs
m.youtube.com/watch?v=P9Tn8bvV5s8
youtube.com/watch?v=pkZCiLXzvZQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I would suggest King James Version.

I doesn't get any whiter than King Jimmy version

Understand the difference between translations and versions first.

Douay Rheims or New American Bible.

Also don't get that confused with New American Standard Bible. It's incomplete.

King James Version is easily the best version. Nothing else comes close.

So what's the difference?

Try the Orthodox Study Bible. It's based off the Septuagint (the greek texts), and is filled with Iconography! It also has some books that the protestant king James doesn't include that were traditionally part of the Bible. Here's where I bought mine :) amazon.com/Orthodox-Study-Bible-Hardcover-Christianity/dp/0718003594

greek orthodox translation == king james > everything else

idk where you'd find the former though

>best version of the Bible
Like asking which is the best deck chair on the Titanic.

All abrahamic religions are fucking cancer

I would suggest avoiding religion

>All abrahamic religions are fucking cancer
This

The satanic ones

ESV

i wonder if it's ethical to pirate that. i mean is it even stealing if it's a bible?

King James purest.

who gives af, its a book filled with bs written by sand niggers anyway

One is word for word, the other is thought for thought.

in Hebrew

>recommending a translation of out of date source material

I think I would prefer word for word, and interpret thought from that.

i prefer ESV because i'm a pleb that doesn't want to read old timey speak. KJV is the best though. also, start with the new Testament because that is what modern Christianity is based on.

>pic unrelated, just a reaction image i made out of an "Assigned male" comic

>out of date
>christianity
fuck off back to utah with your new age shit poofter

Skeptics Annotated is the authoritative version

Has to be old English king James version
It's the closest related (as time goes 1500 to 100 ad better than 1800 to 100ad) language wise,so the symbology is easier to get.

>implying
King James is top tier in a literary sense, but we've found much older copies of Scripture in the 400 years since James commissioned his translation.

I would say Orthodox Bible> King James> any other translation, and thats coming from an ex Baptist who owns both those and ESV. Alot of translation errors in King James though. ESV isn't a literal translation so it is translated as protestants interpret it.

Very beautiful language in this one. I was just in scotland, got to stand in James !'s chapel. Also beautiful. He was a dedicated man.

I really enjoy reading the New World Translation. It's so much easier to read than the King James Bible version. You can download the JW Library app for free from the app store to read the Bible.

i clearly cited orthodox first, with kjv being relatively equal. are any of the new scriptures compiled anywhere?

Read some translations side by side at biblehub to get an idea of which style you like better.

I wasn't specifically responding to you, just the KJV spam in general because that is doubtless what most English speaking types have read

KJV is the most literal Bible version on the scale. There are a couple of modern versions that might be a bit more literal, but they are very dry and read like Google Translate.

I'm saying the texts being translated into modern translations (NIV, ESV, etc) are older than the texts that were translated into the KJV

Older doesn't necessarily mean better. All those older manuscripts were all found in Egypt.

KJV only

>implying that God's truth was hidden in a desert for 2 millenia.
Yeah, that makes sense.... to an atheist.

all those are protestant translations.

>Torah

God promised to keep his word faggot. He wouldn't let his word be lost for 2000 years.

>Jehova False Witness
No

THIS
I recently purchased it and have really enjoyed it

Fuck off loser Christianity is part of 5he foundation of western civdilation (of going to the moon fame) and your atheist or pagan beliefs are a plot of the Jews and communist yo break us. Go to hell

Get a parallel Bible with multiple translations side-by-side.

Douay Rheims.

What? Why would a catholic one be better? It's just a translation not a study Bible. And they translated the aprocrypha to.

pidginbible.org/Concindex.html

It means they're slightly more reliable than the KJ texts since they were written closer to the events themselves.

When did I ever say the KJ was wrong or inaccurate? It seems like OP has little or no experience with the Bible, so he probably shouldn't start with a version written in a dialect of English he is completely unfamiliar with.

No he shouldn't start with a shitty translation. I read NIV from Genesis - 1 Corinthians and switching to KJV is much better. You only need to know a few more words to understand it.

Well most protestant translations are from Aramaic and hebrew, orthodox is from greek and since the orthodox church is primarily greek and also the oldest church in the world, the translations are more accurate and consistent.

the talmud

KJV or gtfo

The ancient way of the church fathers is for you friend :)

ESV or NASB

KJV. Here's a whole documentary on WHY it's the best.
>youtube.com/watch?v=FAgDXZfOfx0

The translators of KJV knew greek and spoke it regularly. They also knew hebrew.

>ESV is bad
I'm not telling the man to use the message

There is no "best" version, user. They've all been translated along a continuum.
Pic related.

KNJ NT was translated from Greek. There are only like 3? single translation Bibles in existence.

also these
youtu.be/3_2T47PAIkM
m.youtube.com/watch?v=IWawfP5Sj0k
m.youtube.com/watch?v=zyLGGVJzbFs
m.youtube.com/watch?v=P9Tn8bvV5s8

KJV

The Cepher is cool too

>shamelessly giving myself a (You) to shill this great doc about the KJV.

And ESV is still worse than KJV

This can't be real ...

1611 King James Holy Bible.

It is a real translation

Why are you a gay guy pretending to be a woman?

The most horrifying thing is that books (seem) to be missing/merged together.

Buy many study bibles and read their commentaries. Study the people who wrote those commentaries and their agenda behind their conclusions. Research biblical historicity and the culture of the biblical audience.
Flame thesis: catholics and orthodoxy walk the path of the old levitical priesthood and on a certain level are Judiasers for it. Not that they aren't saved!

Poetry: KSV
Autistic Literalism: NASB
Compromise: ESV
Bad Poetry: NIV

>atholics and orthodoxy walk the path of the old levitical priesthood and on a certain level are Judiasers for it. Not that they aren't saved!
this
Ritual is good, but because it makes the services feel "other" than normal life. The penitent thief was saved without any ritual or priestly mediation.

KJV sucks. literally translated by King Henry while he was raping the corpse of his beheaded 12 year old wife hoping to impregnate her

So all you KJV fuckers are Anglicans right?

Don't tell me you read it but don't practice it?

If the church is universal and existing since the point Christ founded it, then wouldn't the churches responsible for the first 1500 years of Christian history be the ones that could actually claim authority. I mean Christ was the fulfillment of the law, and he criticized the Jews for turning the traditions into pointless motions. Orthodox realize Christ is the temple sacrifice, the entire point. It is a replication of the ultimate fulfillment.

>KJV translated by King Henry VIII

Wrong. 75% based on Tyndale Bible which predates King Henry, later finalized by King James, son of Mary Queen of Scots.

>Anno Domini 2017
>2011+6
>Current Year+2
>Modern Day+0
>not learning Koine Greek and reading the original new testament texts and the pentateuch

I seriously hope you guys don't do this.

stupid apostate!

Dude, you have the original manuscripts?
You should scan those and post them online

we are called to be apart from the world. The problem with western Christians Catholics included is you don't understand the concept of theosis and how we were meant to bring heaven to Earth to become one with God's holiness in this life, to prepare us for the next.

I find English Bible heretic and English Quran nearly demonic. This is where my nonfluency starts to tell. One probably should learn English through poetry and not newspapers to appreciate it.

When you disagree with me, I literally feel like I've been raped. Literally. Please stop harassing me.

Bible Emoji. It's hip and makes Jesus cool for me and my millennial friends,

Literally translated by committee
whew lad, the greek was translated from hebrew

I was on the Catholics are the devil band wagon for a while, but now I think that all who believe in our Savior are fine and everything else is a reflection on the history and culture of those believers.
I can smell your agenda from here.
>church
You mean ekklasia right? As in "those called out"? How can the ekklasia only exist at the point that the institution of church was founded? What were the Israelites? Or the people Deuteronomy was addressing? Cool last bit, that's interesting.
"be holy for I am holy" comes to mind, interesting explanation and expansion of the scripture

I prefer NLT or maybe NKJ. NLT my fav though.

My agenda is to save souls and BTFO of Papists.

Now THIS is heresy!

....but the catholic church was taken over by crypto jews

Obviously the lolcat Bible is the only version worth reading.

The point of Christ ministering during his three days of death was to save the faithful who had died. After that they were part of the church.

OK I must have been smelling my own ass, sorry brother
We are at a point where Zionism is EVERYWHERE. All I can say to you is we must hope for Jesus to come back and clean house. Or maybe it's in our hands and I just haven't studied enough.

youtube.com/watch?v=pkZCiLXzvZQ

It's not too filled with propaganda, but general accuracy of this is legit.

>whew lad, the greek was translated from hebrew
Yes, for the pentateuch. I never claimed otherwise. But the pentateuch is more accurate, as it was translated from an earlier source that predates the later different hebrew source that's used for modern bible translations. We're talking hundreds of years difference.

For people intimidated my the King James Version, try the New King James Version.

Because it's the best translation

Church comes from the word ekklasia as in "those who are called out" so what exactly are you saying with only the church existed when Jesus came? God had a church when He made a covenant with Abraham way back when.

>yfw you realize this is how the decline begins and gradually our language will keep devolving until we have completely replaced the latin alphabet with a chinese-style logography of hundreds/thousands of characters, but they're all emojis

Scripture isn't everything. The contents of the official scripture were decided by the church, which is the pillar of truth. Paul talks about keeping the traditions that he and the apostles laid down. They kept priestly communion even back then. Everything the orthodox believes is derived from the early traditions and church councils when needed. We have no pope to interpret the Bible, the entire body of Christ comes together to decide the way it should be interpreted. The body of Christ must be united. We have 100s of thousands of denominations all because individuals wanted to interpret the Bible their way. What is the point of having a church if not unity in Christ?

Jews believe it's in their hands to make the earth ready for the Messiah. They believe in an earthly kingdom.