OUR CHURCH

>Conversions gradually transforming Orthodox Christianity

>More than 70 percent of the roughly 75,000 Antiochian Orthodox Christians in the United States are converts. The Orthodox Church in America, with roots in Moscow and about 85,000 adherents, reports a 50 percent figure. In Greek Orthodox Christianity, by far the largest branch in the United States with almost 480,000 members, it's about 25 percent.

>"We have these ethnic titles in our names, but they refer to where our hierarchies reside," Gilbert says. "None of these [jurisdictions] believes the church is for Greeks or Russians or Serbs. It's a church for humans."

>The strength of Orthodox Christianity— also known as Eastern Christianity, Eastern Orthodoxy or Greek Orthodoxy — stems from the conviction that its traditions are the same as those practiced by Jesus' original followers, the 12 apostles, and the theologians who codified those practices in their writings over the first few centuries after his death.
baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/bs-md-non-greek-greek-orthodox-priest-20170624-story.html

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ag3w7MxVp7c
youtube.com/watch?v=IomxvOTf-So
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Glory to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit now and forever and unto the ages of ages. Amen.

>long clothing
>veiling women
>works based salvation
>baby baptism
>vain repetition
>idolatry
>worshiping of saints
>perpetual virginity of mary
I'm sorry, but you are putting man's traditions over the Word of God.

O Heavenly King, Comforter, Spirit of Truth, Who art everywhere present and fillest all things, treasury of goodness and giver of life, come and abide in us, cleanse us from every stain of sin and save our souls, O Gracious Lord.

Holy God

Holy Mighty

Holy Immortal

Have mercy on us

Paul says for women to cover their heads during prayer

Salvation doesn't come from works, but if you refuse to cooperate with the Spirit of Truth, your faith is dead and worthless

Babies were circumcised, baptism of babies into Israel, the Church, follows from that

There is nothing vain about ceaseless prayer, which Paul endorses.

Recognizing that pictures and the material can be holy, is not idolatry. No one thinks the pictures are God

Joseph's brothers prostrated to him and venerated him. Moses did as much for his father in law

If Mary wasn't a perpetual virgin, why was she shocked on being told she would conceive? She was espoused after all. And if Christ's brothers were her sons, why did Christ need to entrust her care to John when He died?

Orthodox is the only religion that can defeat Islam, it has the conservative elements mixed with the beauty and the most pious interpretation of the Bible.

You simply cannot convert a Muslim as a Baptist, or lame sect such as Anglican, they are too strong and believe only in having strict faith principles, Orthodoxy has the chance to compete with Islamic faith because of its balance of hard and soft.

>Paul says for women to cover their heads during prayer
No, he says that a woman's long her is given her as a covering, not that she should wear a veil. This chapter talks about the physical differences in appearance between men and women, and how it is a shame for men to have long hair, and women to have short hair, and that any wife who prays shall have long hair -- for her hair IS her covering (verse 15)

>Babies were circumcised, baptism of babies into Israel, the Church, follows from that
So you don't have an scriptural basis for baptizing babies? Jesus ends circumcision and teaches that he is circumcised who is circumcised inwardly. Every person who gets baptized in the Bible is someone who has openly professed his trust in Jesus Christ. The Bible even says that the only thing that hinders someone from being baptized is believing on the Lord with all your heart, Acts 8:36-38:

>"See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?" And Philip said, "If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest."

>There is nothing vain about ceaseless prayer, which Paul endorses.
I know, but you shouldn't do vain repetition which you have to admit many Catholic, Eastern Catholic and Orthodox churches do, by literally repeating the same phrases over and over for hours, like pagans.

>Recognizing that pictures and the material can be holy
What do you mean, "holy"? It's a picture, it should not be venerated. Remember what Jesus said when someone venerated Mary?

>A woman in the crowd raised her voice and said to him, “Blessed is the womb that bore you, and the breasts at which you nursed!” But he said, “Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and keep it!”

>If Mary wasn't a perpetual virgin
She wasn't. Because the Bible says she wasn't.

>He had no relations with her UNTIL she bore a son, and he named him Jesus (Matthew 1:25)

>muh book
Fuck off ISIS.

Why is she wearing a hijab?? Disgusting. The Most High does command women to cover their heads, but with long hair. Where do you find this idea of a hijab in the Bible??? Disgusting

Massive misinterpretation of 1 Cor 11:5.

Wow what church are you apart of in Sweden???

An independent Baptist church. And you?

I hope you aren't accusing me of misinterpreting

I meant him. I just don't understand how anyone can misunderstand Paul when he's so clear in the chapter. It's like they read the first part and go, "Oooooh, so she needs to wear a head scarf", then stop reading.

>For her hair is given to her for a covering.

I think I also consider myself an independent Baptist but go with my parents to an evangelical mega church baka. Although I think I may be reformed, how do IFB churches view TULIP?

I'm looking to convert to the orthodoxy, any tips for a burger?

Right, and men having uncovered heads means they should be bald

And circumcizing convertd into old covenant also requites a confession. But your children, God required it, and almost killed Moses for neglecting it. Now that Christ is come, you think children are excluded from Israel? From Christ' Body?

We don't repeat anything for hours except when begging for mercy, like the Publican who smote his breast

We believe material things can be holy, and in fact sanctification of the material is a primary point of the incarnation. Pretty much the opposite of Protestants, who seem to think that material things could only be holy prior to God becoming material.

Yes, and when Christ is called good, he says none is good but God. This is not denying Christ is good (since he is God). Similarly, Christ is not denying Mary is blessed, which she clearly is (Luke 1:48, Psalm 45:17)

Nope, the Bible never said she wasn't. Even Luther and Calvin would agree with me.

Because verses 5 and 6 make it blatantly clear he is using hair as an analogy. The Bible was around 2,000 years before your reading, you think no one knew what Paul way saying until someone who couldn't even read Greek figured it out?

Antiochian and OCA do all English services

Okay, that's interesting. I personally don't believe in any of the TULIP points except possibly P, depending on how you see it. Generally speaking, IFB churches don't believe in any of the TULIP points.

>Right, and men having uncovered heads means they should be bald
No, it means they should have short hair. Are you for real, or are you pretending to misunderstand some of the most clear scripture in the entire Bible? It says that if a woman is uncovered, it is AS IF she might have been shaven. Meaning, she might as well be shaven if she prays with short hair. Ever read verse 15 of this except chapter, where it plainly says that her long hair IS HER COVERING?

>Christ is not denying Mary
No, he's not. He's just telling people to stop venerating her and rather follow the word of God.

>Nope, the Bible never said she wasn't.
Luke 11:27 is as clear as it gets. Joseph didn't consummate the marriage UNTIL she had her first child (Jesus Christ). It honestly bothers me about this virginity cult that exists around Mary. When people hang up pictures and graven images of her and worship her as a virgin goddess, that's a problem. Jesus de-emphasises Mary over and over in the Bible.

Theology is interesting from an intellectual mental standpoint. My experience is that the orthodox church welcomed me with open arms and gave me beauty, community and discipline. It also opened my eyes in political ways by introducing me to people who have experienced living under Islam in Egypt and Syria. The doors of your local orthodox church are open should you choose to walk in.

what is so wrong with figures, glass drawings, panels etc?
its not idolatry if you know they are not god but holy or former devout christians

>old believers.

You can't really LARP as christian and cry about "muh white culture" and leave Our Lady out of the picture. Get your act together kid.

No, Paul is not worried about women having short hair. Men had long hair sometimes then, but women never had short hair. He is saying that praying with an uncovered head is like like praying with shorn hair.

I'm not interested in rest of your intreptations. Ours are unchanging, you have change yours every generation and dogmatically disagree. Ours come from the Holy Spirit, who doesn't change and doesn't disagree with Himself . You are an invented "church" which was created by men a few hundred years ago; we have existed for 2,000 and were founded by Christ who gave us the Spirit of Truth as our guardian and Lord

Were crackpots who burned their own families to cleanse them because they didn't believe in baptism or communion. Most of the sane ones have been reunited and practice what is called Old Rite, or turned a sort of Amish (and still reject baptism and communion)

Francis' cuckoldry aside, what are the negative aspects of Papalcy and catholic philosophical view of faith?
Why would an eucumenical council's decision be any better than one with Pope's final word?
Why is orthodox mysticism more reasonable interpretation of faith and excistance?

T. Prottie in between the two

not really a full answer but, since the reformation we have been marching more and more towards liberalism in the church (example gay marriage) and that will destroy it.. i know catholicism is a globalist religion but no good will come from so many rule bending

since this is pol, ofc there are jew moles in the vatican ranks subverting it from within!!

youtube.com/watch?v=ag3w7MxVp7c
Amen

I'm not Orthodox but I do really like this song.

youtube.com/watch?v=IomxvOTf-So

It is impressive because the Orthodox Church does no Evangelisation.

Cardinal Schonborn will rise soon to papacy and the ranks will be purged of the corrupting influences.
Comfy Catholic renaissance in your lifetime.

Hope so