When I was a kid, I had a .22LR Mauser rifle

European gun rights thread here. A .22LR rifle is considered a low powered gun here in Austria - anyone above 18 can buy it. It has enough power to shoot a duck or a squirrel. We used it predominantly to shoot at empty cans, but I have also shot a duck, two squirrels and even a rabbit.

Is it bad for a country to require a license for rifles with higher calibre. No license is required for shotguns including double barrel high calibre guns (without a rifled barrel) though.

Other urls found in this thread:

kurier.at/chronik/mit-dem-schalldaempfer-zur-jagd/224.566.104
youtube.com/watch?v=X_IWlPHMziU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

wow

What about pistols?

License free if you're a hunter. Need to give a '''''reason'''''' otherwise but that's as simple as joining a club. We're top 15 in terms of arms ownership it's just not talked about.

But can you tell, at sight, a mauser rifle from a javelin?

this is a badly needed thread. Americans are severely ignorant about gun laws in Europe, and many seem to be under the impression that firearms are simply outlawed across the entire continent.

That sounds better than most of what I've heard about Europe. Are there mag restrictions or action restrictions for hunting?
How does the govt know if you're a hunter? Can you carry your pistol daily?

Do you have a shotgun? You're going to need it.

>What about pistols?
You need a license for pistols. Either a hunting license or a sport shooting license. My brother-in-law is a vivid hunter and he has a whole shelf full of rifles and two Glock pistols. I takes them with him for big game hunting.

>How does the govt know if you're a hunter? Can you carry your pistol daily?
You need a license from your local magistrate. You also need to study for an exam - mostly about how to track game and how to shoot, also how your dog has to behave, as well as gun safety.

You cannot carry your pistol in your free time, just on your way to the hunt and on the hunt.

You need a special permit (e.g. you are a public prosecutor or private security bodyguard) for carrying your pistol concealed everywhere (like going to the opera or to work).

Thanks for the info.
When transporting the pistol, I've heard you have to keep it unloaded and "deactivated" (slide locked back, cylinder locked with a lock). Is this true? Also, can you carry openly or concealed?

You just answered my questions about carrying, thanks.

If I travel to the EU as an American, do have to obtain the same permit to carry my pistols?

You can't bring your pistols with you pham

I always assumed at least Australia would have good guns laws, since everything can kill you. Dunno about Kiwis though, theu would probably just have the opposite to distance themselves from Australia.

Just put them all in your carryon. You can't check a duffel full of pistols. Ammo is ok tho.

You don't because you are not a citizen.

>If I travel to the EU as an American, do have to obtain the same permit to carry my pistols?

I think you would have to get a special permit from the airline and the US as well as the target state in Europe to take your pistols with you. I think at least in Austria we have temporary carry permits for foreigners, e.g. sport shooters who are doing a competition in Austria or military personnel on an exchange assignment or joint training mission etc.

So this can't be me?

Nope

>When transporting the pistol, I've heard you have to keep it unloaded and "deactivated" (slide locked back, cylinder locked with a lock). Is this true? Also, can you carry openly or concealed?

Depends on the license. You are correct for hunters and sport shooting. You have to carry them on your back unloaded or in a suitcase or bag. If you have a special carry permit (which only few people get), you can concealed carry your pistol.

>So this can't be me?
Yes, you can be a Kelly's hero.

Darm :(

OK. I might be traveling to Europe for business and I wondered if I could carry there like I do here.

yeah i've got a .22 rifle
it's really old and shit but i've been using it a lot recently just for fun, getting better at shooting cans and stuff

i don't know much about guns so i'm sure there's probably proper terminology for what i'm going to explain but basically,
if i stand 10 metres away i have to aim about 6 inches above what i'm aiming at
if i stand 20 metres away i have to aim over a foot higher
its so under powered
at which point i can't even see what i'm shooting at, although i'm getting better at angling the rifle so i can see
quite annoying really

i wish i had a real gun:((
i know a few people with shotguns- i live in a rural area- but i don't know if they would be what i want
people mostly use the to annihilate foxes and badgers as far as i'm aware
and to kill them selves when they realise farming is actually depressing and shit

the one and only question that you need to ask about gun laws in a country is whether or not they are allowed to be used in self defense against an attacker
if your country does not have justifiable homicide laws, then it might as well not have gun laws
you can have all the guns in the world, but if you can only use them as range toys, what's the fucking point?

Could you own a .17 HMR?

Also, does your country that suppressor laws for small calibers?

> Aussies have pretty cucked laws as I understand its pretty no fun land after some literal retard shot a bunch of people in a cafeteria somewhere.
(Like totally legit reason to clamp down on your civil liberties am i right)

>No license is required for shotguns

I heard that shotguns were flying off the shelves in Austria because people want to protect themselves from the muzzie invasion.

I guess the fact that you don't need a license for them has something to do with it.

It's totally worthless because you can't carry in Austria. Good luck convincing a raging nigger or muslim to rape you in the comfort of your own home instead of the street.

>Could you own a .17 HMR?
I had to google this. Yes, .17 HMR rifles and ammo are also free to purchase if you are 18 or older.

>Also, does your country that suppressor laws for small calibers?
No, suppressors are outlawed in Austria, except for professional hunters. But I just googled it and there is a debate going on with animal rights advocates (including hunting dog owners) pressuring the government to allow suppressors for everyone.

Wish i could have a K98 to shoot on a range maybe one day in the future i will travel to the us for a few weeks to shoot some Guns.

>pressuring the government
How? By saying "pleeeease"?

22's don't have that much drop. Sounds like it's either you or the rifle.
22s are a real gun, don't beat yourself up for not having an AR-15. If you want to become a shooter work on th3 fundamentals with your 22. Plinking is fun, but shooting targets where you can see your groups will help you become a better shooter

Unless you are talking an air rifle, you are probably the worst shot alive. 22lr has a point blank range of 85 yards. 10 to 20m should be virtually indistinguishable.

>I heard that shotguns were flying off the shelves in Austria because people want to protect themselves from the muzzie invasion.
Gun sales increased a lot, but not like these surges in America whenever gun laws are in Congress. High calibre rifles and double barrel rifles are expensive. They are used for boar hunting. We got a lot of really big boars and other wild pigs in the East of Austria. Many Austrian hunters also go on hunts in Hungary, Romania, etc - essentially in the parts of the old Austrian-Hungarian Empire.

that looks like one tasty pig

>Good luck convincing a raging nigger or muslim to rape you in the comfort of your own home instead of the street.

Franz, you know as well as I do that outside of Vienna, immigration isn't really a problem. I do not live in Vienna, so I do not need a gun carry license. We have 5 Muslims here, 1 of which wears a hijab and she is like 68 or so.

I do live in Vienna and shit is horrible here. Sometimes I'm the only white person on the subway.

>How? By saying "pleeeease"?
kurier.at/chronik/mit-dem-schalldaempfer-zur-jagd/224.566.104

Wir haben eine der staerksten Jagdlobbies in Europa. Google mal ein wenig.

Yeah, suppressors eliminated noise pollution for the most part and maintain the serenity of rural areas. It's idiotic for most people to not use them.

I'd assume you can also have .22 Magnums.

have they giving Beethoven's house to muzzies yet?

You can't realy talk reason with a government that was stupid enough to ban them in the first place.
Banning silencers is a sure fire sign that the law was made by people who know everything they know about guns from games and movies.

Beethoven lived in the capital of best Germany (greater Austria) Bonn.

>makes most used pistol ever
>cant use it

SHOOTING GUNS AINT NOISE POLLUTION

>I do live in Vienna and shit is horrible here. Sometimes I'm the only white person on the subway.
That is why the rest of Austria calls Vienna the "Vienna containment zone" or "Wien ist anders".

That's pretty important thing.
Two important things in laws additon to getting guns is ability to carry them (in usable state) and sensible self-defence laws.
In Estonia it is moderately hard to get licence - costs money,requires testing and theres some storage condition ammo restrictions etc. some of them retarded. On the other hand if you have no criminal background and pass the exam the licence is a shall issue and it allows you to carry loaded handguns on your body either concealed or not.
The self defence-law is OK-ish I'd like we had something like Castle law where you don't have to prove much of the neccessity of self defence when dealing with people breaking to your domicile.
On the other hand - the laws is one thing but their application something else- In Estonia theres not much gun culture or gun advocacy groups etc. You have the right to buy/own/carry and use a gun (after examination and fees) and you have the right to self defence but the police officials,presecutors and judges might and often will make your life much more difficult than needed for some retarded reasons. (Bootlicking activism is common in Euro judiciaries I guess)
Still you can legally do all those stuff and people have successfully defended them with firearms and successfully proven stuff justifyiable afterwards etc.
Just wish society was more open to people taking care of themselves as it is were still much better than many Euro countries in this respect .*
* i mean personal responsibilites, gun and self-defence laws are already good for Europe tier. (which is kind of the smartest kind in a special-ed class but still)

I interpret that as yelling? I guess you would since you can't fucking hear anything.

Please nuke it, you have my blessing.

>tfw no Hearing Protection Act

get it, like old Vienna? or is it just a popular misconception, "beethoven vienna" meme?

>Beethoven lived in the capital of best Germany (greater Austria) Bonn.
Actually, Beethoven lived in Vienna for most of his life. He died in Vienna.

Back in his days, people really didn't have much in terms of passports and papers. He was thinking about himself as a German, just like any other native German speaker in Vienna.

It's extremely complicated to transport firearms between the US an Europe. You have to apply for permits on both ends. Plus you won't be allowed to carry them and will not be allowed to bring any ammo
t. sport shooter

From a public safety standpoint I guess it only makes sense if you're assuming people will somehow constantly be accidentally firing from some distance toward people--larger cartridges remain effective over long distances but small cartridges and shotgun shells do not.

I don't think it makes much sense when shorter range is the real problem where all firearms, even 22lr, are deadly.

kek in all its meanings!, its suppose to be read like this
youtube.com/watch?v=X_IWlPHMziU

i see, well, lets hope the house is not given away as muzzie residences

Austrian gun laws are not about sense. They are 100% arbitrary.
From a close range clubbing somebodies skull in with a baseball bad is lethal, too.

>Is it bad for a country to require a license for rifles with higher calibre.

Yes.

Registration is always used as evidence to raid and prosecute when the eventual confiscation happens.

Trust me, I lived it.

lel I never watched video of them they're all manlets

dude with the semi hollow body gibson is like maybe half a foot taller than it

Can you define how your government defines "high caliber" for me? Does high just mean large?

I have been shooting guns extensively and have only heard the term on the media and in reference to Europe.

To me, the .223/5.56 isn't a large caliber, but the .45-70, .416 Rigby, and generally anything over a. 40 inch bullet in a rifle is.

We don't live on an island, though. You can get an anonymous Yugo machine gun with ammunition from the friendly Serb next door if you want to.

Well, that's maximum projected range. That means firing at a 45° angle. 45° and beyond - gunshots slow significantly - dropping to terminal velocity, and become nonlethal.

They defined low caliber (Kleinkaliber) as essentially anything that they use in indoors sport shooting competition (such as the Olympics short shooting competitions). Those laws were implemented in the 1950s it seems, and never changed.

I think one idea was stopping power. I doubt anyone would ever attempt a bank robbery with a .22LR rifle. That is just not happening.

They generally don't shoot back during a bank robbery these days.

"Hand over the money! OR I'm gonna, maybe lobotomize you!"

> eurocucks think we are gun nuts
> eurocucks want to ban our guns right
> so far only eurocuck countries have firearms and terrorist issues

I hope EU burns in hell.

Is your press not allowed to report the Islamic mass rapes in Swizerland or are you shitting the world again with your Swiss lies?
As for gun laws all the EU has to do is promise a few shekels and you will give them up in a heartbeat.

.22LR is dangerous as hell and restricting guns by caliber is retarded. Has anyone in this thread actually fired a gun before?

Firearms licensing should only be a transitional step from a heavily regulated state to an unregulated one.

The freedom to live and defend oneself is an inalienable right, to that end we should be allowed to take whatever steps necessary to ensure this.

The .22 lr is by far my favorite type of firearm. I own AR15's, 30-30's assorted handgun calibers, but I love my rimfire rifles and handguns the most and I shoot them the most. Absolutely nothing wrong with a .22!

The second amendment is final argument for why the USA is an amazing country.

Is there anywhere else in the whole world that has your right to defend yourself guaranteed as a human right?

You can also buy a 5.56mm or 7.62mm rifle here, you just have to fill out a form that says you are not a nigger (colloquially called background check).

Yeah, plenty of guns - automatics to muzzle loaders.

People don't go on a mass killing spree with .22s.

Also in no other country the ATF kicks your door in and shoots your dog (and maybe your kids) because somebody dropped an anonymous phone call.

Bruh, I'm excited for the new Ruger 10/22 suppressor. Its pretty much the only reason I'm getting my trust now.

>the ATF kicks your door

lel

interesting
can you give me some examples of what you could get away with in a self defense situation, and what kind of stuff would get you in trouble?

What I don't like is that we have very few gun ranges and ammo is pretty expensive in Austria.

I wonder why there isn't any sharp business man exploiting this and opening up a gun range franchise. Could be combined with a grilled chicken shop.

And what's the age restriction again

> This is CPS. We have to take your kids and put them into a Muslim rape dungeon for your own safety, Mr domestic terrorist, sir.

You can't go out to a field and shoot?

>having kids

CPS doesn't take kids out of good situations in 99% of cases. Same shit happens in every country where mistakes are made sometimes. CPS is also not a federal entity like you seem to think.

>People don't go on a mass killing spree with .22s.
You absolutely could and if you keep banning guns by caliber you will start to see them.

I know our flag may looks like Sweden's if your colour-blind but come on.

We have more problems with frogs and white germacucks than shitskins.

As for guns, you guys deserves every mass shooting that happened so far.

>.22LR is dangerous as hell
Tell that to my mum who let me fire that Mauser rifle when I was 8 with my buddies from grade school. Tell that to the local gun shop owner who had no problem selling me a pack of 100 .22LR cartridges because my father and I had bought them in that shop before and I said "it's for my dad".

>They generally don't shoot back during a bank robbery these days.
The few bank and jewelry robberies in Austria are typically committed by Eastern Europeans (mostly Slovaks and Romanians) and they use Glocks or Soviet pistols that are readily available on the black market. No need to purchase a gun legally if you can just pay the same price as for a hunting rifle and buy a pistol illegally.

> This is TSA. We have to search your ass for Osama Bin Laden and take you on a FREE trip to a concentration and torture camp in Cuba, where the US constitution and basic human rights mean nothing.
For your own safety. Sir.

??!?!WHAT??!?!

You mean criminals don't follow the law?????

how do you think your personal anecdotes make a lethal round less lethal

>MFW reading headline
Attempted .22 Spree Shooter Beat to Death with Own Gun

>Austria

I would make fun of you but I don't even have any idea what happens in your little country. Muslims and substandard meat wrapped in pastry is my guess.

When's the last time you guys were relevant in anything other than a conflict? Classical music?

Norwegian gun laws are almost identical to Californian gun laws.

I personally own several semi-auto rifles and a couple of pistols and a semi-auto shotgun.

Not really a big deal.

Big words from a decaying country that prints money like crazy, milking every drop of a former reputation nobody really believes in anymore.
Nice 200 year empire. I wonder if you will even show up in future history books.

Lol, it is dangerous. If you don't think so, volunteer to get shot with one. Gun rights come with responsibility. Not everyone likes guns, but everyone needs to know gun safety.

Also, just because something is dangerous doesn't mean that you can't sell it to kids. Kids can go out and buy bleach and drink it too.

>I know our flag may looks like Sweden's if your colour-blind but come on.

Swiss guy who is flagmeming. Please, Gilles, just no.

>We have more problems with frogs and white germacucks than shitskins.
I have been in Zurich end of last year, and what I have seen wasn't much better than in Vienna. Especially when you go into that area West of the train station. Not sure what it is called - it looked like a good part of Mogadishu.

>As for guns, you guys deserves every mass shooting that happened so far.
Austria never had any mass shooting. We had a guy drive a car into people a few years back shouting Allahu Akbar (but in front of the court he shaved and cleaned up and claimed he just wanted to frighten people, not kill them), we had a Palestinian telling Arabs to kill Israelis on a Facebook post (he got life in prison a week back) and we got all those girls killing their bfs and vice versa. Nothing out of the ordinary. We are a very boring country, essentially the budget version of Switzerland.

My 5 year old gets about that same drop with his bb gun
Are you sure you have a 22 user?

>Not everyone likes guns, but everyone needs to know gun safety.
Pretty much this. I too often make the mistake of assuming people who debate about guns actually know about guns.

>how do you think your personal anecdotes make a lethal round less lethal
I read that the .22LR if shot at the torso of a human is much less likely to lead to life threatening internal bleeding. It has less power and is generally smaller.

Anyway, I am not saying a .22LR is a safe BB gun, I am saying we treated it as a toy gun to shoot small prey and cans.

If a .45 grazes your skull, lights out. If a .22 grazes your skull, you'll just need stitches and pain pills. NFW a mass shooter is going with a .22.

>I read
Clearly. Anyone who treats a .22 as a toy deserves to be shot with one. Then you won't have to read someone else's words and assume you know what you are talking about.