Aesthetics of Liberalism

One of my biggest gripes with liberalism is that it is incredibly unappealing aesthetically. As our societies have become more liberal over the decades our environment around has changed to appeal to a more lower-middle class sensibility. Our buildings used to be modeled on classical, neo-classical, baroque, Gothic, Victorian designs. Now when a new building is erected in a city it is almost always this unnatural fortress of plastic, steel and glass.

People have also stopped caring how they appear in public. Way back when, we dressed modestly and our clothes clearly reflected our status and position in the society. Now when you take a walk around your local highstreet, it's just this mass of skin and multicoloured t-shirts and women wearing form-fitting clothes like yoga pants.

Discuss

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GapUEKYLE1o&t=14s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

How do you go from this

To this

Wish we could turn back time...

To the good old days

Promoting brutalism and utilitarianism in architecture was just another way that Marxist Jews have sought to undermine the moral of Western Culture. If you are not surrounded by beauty, you're less inclined to want to preserve your society. It also serves to rob you of cultural identity. It's much the same as with the movements in modern art.

Instead of beautiful buildings, houses and small artisan shops, you get endless strip malls , parking lots, and high rises. Also, it's a natural consequence of the lack of Darwinism in the modern area. Too much over population due to lack of competition causing lesser people's to be bred and subsidized by the state leading to massive consumer culture and demand for quantity over quality.

Western civilization has regressed from rule of the sacred leader, to the warrior aristocracy, to the merchant, to the serf.

In architecture, the regression is symbolized by the shift from the temple (representative of the scared, religious class - the spring time of civilization) as the dominant building, to the fortress and castle (during the rule of the warrior) to the city-state surrounded by walls (age of the merchant), to the factory and finally to the rational and dull buildings that are hives of the mass-man.

Simply put, every you see today is a manifestation of democracy, and the rule of the serf.

>americans could have built all of their new cities like this

You have a valid point, but a lot of the attack on aesthetic beauty was deliberate and a result of the modern art world leaking into the architectural spectrum.

I don't normally reference Paul Joseph Watson, but he recently hit the nail on the head with this one...aside from failing to name the Jews, but you can pick out their names in the video.

youtube.com/watch?v=GapUEKYLE1o&t=14s

We more or less did. 19th century Eastern US city skylines were distinctly European

What happened to it all?

TO THE GOOD OL DAYS

I believe that's from the World's Columbian Exposition and most of the stuff was removed from Navy Pier

Honestly speaking a lot of the problem is that stone is fucking heavy and shieeet.

theres plenty of love for the environments and aesthetics you talk about, but the only way to get it back is to stop america's cultural race to the bottom and stop the spread of lawn culture.
>modern art rob cultural identity
wrong fag
modern art is swag, no reason we can't have both styles.

tl,dr: Keynes, Wall Street and zog """aesthetics""" won, European beauty lost.

Truth: My area and the surrounding cities are 90% + white and still have some of the older colonial buildings and some things that were built just before the old west era. They are considered literal treasures.

When the 20th century came, we were modernized by McKinley, who was actually probably our best and most nationalist/protectionist president. He would have gone down as our most loved president too, if Teddy Roosevelt hadn't stolen his thunder. Anyway, as said, he was the one who modernized our economy and made us a competent industrial power. Due to the highs and lows of the early 20th century, we took on a more stable and profitable consumer-driven approach to fucking everything. Nothing was really built to last after the Great Depression, especially homes and architecture.

This isn't counting what had been done to art, and all the happenings in architecture that made architects want to strive for function over form (or vanity projects made by spatially retarded people who thought their actual ugly pieces of perverse shit were really profound and original, and just like Eiffel desu).

Cultural shifts in the art world. As abstraction became more popular in the first few decades of the 20th century, you began to see similar shifts in architectural design. American cities are more synonymous with the Art Deco style of architecture and its focus in geometry, a trend that never really caught on in Europe. Unfortunately, Art Deco would open the door to all the visual communism and cookie cutter corporate atrocities that would soon follow. For Europeans, that door was opened by demand for cheaper buildings after cities were bombed to shit and economies destroyed as a result of the second World War.

I'm cool with ultra-futuristic building that look like something out of a sci-fi movie. I can appreciate the beauty of complex engineering.

I'm cool with a lot of surrealist paintings as well. However, most modern art/architecture is fucking garbage, the result of a lack of appreciation of either beauty or craft. Nothing but subjective garbage being pushed by a bunch of communist kikes. I can't think of a better visual representation of this than this atrocity of an "art" museum looking like a malignant tumor on a tradition Austrian cityscape.

this is the kind of shit I mean when I say modernist architecture/interior design

heres a hybrid

Liberal aesthetics are neoclassical aesthetics you dumb fucking retard.

>digits
>"modern art is swag"
>"no reason we can't have both styles." = no sense of cohesion or unity

The jokes write themselves

>classical liberal

there, fixed that for you. Liberal stopped being classical liberalism when the gun seizure/restriction and welfare arguments began

Stop making excuses for not knowing what you're talking about.

iunno, my didgits being 444 of japan and 666 of the west pretty much is on the nail.

sorry you don't like creativity.

By the way theres an art discipline that unifies things to keep things cohesive. it's called composition.

>presents no arguments or evidence of incorrectness

Britbongs are brainlets incapable of competing,confirmed

>sorry you don't like creativity

Not everything that get's shit out of amateurs artists workshops is good. The art piece of the box with one black line running down it springs to mind. The more you insist shit art is actual art, the more your low standards show. You strike me as the type that would hit on Amy Schumer.

Also,artistic unity is an actual yet neglected concept. Tarnishing beauty with ugliness does not make it adequate. It drags down the higher form into an abject tier of less than mundane equality.

Art is beauty. Beauty is an universal concept. No "eye of the beholder" nonsense. The second you return art to its original meaning you remove all the bullshit. We need this simple step, for someone of relief to make it so the general populace can follow. Trump would do...

Thank you for posting this user. Beautiful.

Always welcome bro

I'd like to thank this user's contribution right here:

Shame because I actually really like Art Deco too. Too bad it opened the door for shitty shit modern architecture.

>my country's aesthetics depends on whether or not people are allowed to have anal sex

you guys need some pussy ASAP

You got that from a twitter feed right?
I like the idea of this thread. Dumping my folder.

What claptrap are you talking, hue bro?

>This I actually like

Ultra modern, sleek, and futuristic with high quality materials I'm okay with.

Pic related is more along the lines of what I'm talking about.

> That statue
Americans sadly did it in a tacky way.
I like Anglo style more than Med .

>absolutely satanic

Modern civilization's aesthetics (or lack there of) there's nothing to do with liberalism.Look up Sweden between 1870 and 1950 -- it was the beacon of liberalism in europe and none of the landscape trasformations you mention happened.Rather, it started after the social-democract regime began around the 1970s and all the taxes, regulations, welfare and etc were being implemented.

It really is just a chaotic shape. Public buildings should be orderly, reassuring, familiar. I do believe that your environment, the architecture, the atmosphere, really affects people emotionally. Go ahead and develop chaotic, alien, experimental architecture in private just please don't make the rest of us have to look at it when we walk through our own streets.

I'm lucky to live in a beautiful architectural environment.
Shitskins look like such intruders with the Parisian backdrop.

I am referring to a specific type of liberalism, progressivism. The progressivism you see now is not classical liberalism but it is linked to it genetically. Progressivism is inherently unstable, it is constantly refreshing and this is reflected in post-modern architecture. Abstract forms with no connection to the land or the people.

Remember to notice me senpaitachi

This is very uncomfy.

Even that Mansion is tacky. Any idea if it is in America?

I feel the same walking through my neighborhood. Spics and niggers everywhere. Trash all over the fucking ground. Everything around me is decrepit because nobody cares for their things or the people around them. Here in America we don't even have modern architecture, we just have rotting buildings covered in graffiti. Say what you will about Jewy looking commie blocks, looks much better than an old triple decker apartment building with boarded up windows and a Haitian sitting on the porch drinking malt liquor

Yes

What specifically do you find tacky? I'm an architecture brainlet.

Agree. And that's how I feel about things such as Classic Rock music or surrealist paintings. Often odd, experimental and a step away from traditional form and objective beauty, but the skill, creativity and passion of the artist can still be appreciated even if it's not quite fitting to everybody's tastes.

That painting is amazing. That's how you do experimental art.

What's everyone's thoughts in Italian Futurism?

It's also good to point out that neoliberalism would have never been able to promote their cancer in society without also attacking the economy simultaneosly, because that was how they destroyed families' capacity to have multiple children,have women stay at home, and created all the system required to poison the new generation's sense of beauty through tax-funded "education".

It is still trying to be too-many-houses-at-once rammed together. It is just a feeling but maybe to try and rationalize it:
Either they are seperate but connected or one block that maybe forms a courtyard. But I am more into the smaller personal stuff. The town is it's own aesthetic unit.

I hate non functioning aesthetic garbage. Those shutters are the home equivalent of a decorative spoiler or faux air intake on a 4 door economy class sedan.

It's degenerate. Specifically intended to be an affront to more traditional architecture around it. And as you said, it demoralizes the people that have to look at it. Thee fact that it grows off the older building like a tumor serves as the perfect visual metaphor for the invasive cancer that has stricken our society.

19th century Brazil

Oi facist! You see what i mean about the comfy-to-Imperial ratio in Anglo architecture? Boston has the same thing going for it

Yeah, and let it all happen again.
You're a fucking nigger
>le born in le wrong generation
You're a fucking fascist apparently, which is doubtful as fuck seeing as you're saying garbage like this.

>comfy-to-Imperial ratio
That's a good way of putting it. There's something about British architecture from the imperial days that is imposing yet reassuring.

It sure got a whole lot more reddit in here.

>fascist flag
>classical liberal ideals are ok
Fuck off larper

Also how is the fascist part doubtful? Aesthetics are absolutely key to fascism.

>I can't even justify myself
Nice projection mate

the scale of buildings now they arent going to be making them neo classical with hand cut stone. the cost and the time is just not worth it, and try building a skyscraper like that. also victorian housing phased out because its essentially bad design, whereas youll still see georgian inspired architecture being build today

ultimately its all about building something cost efficient, quick, cheap and easy to maintain

alot of it can look quite nice if you put aside the cherry picked monstrosities

Coopting the aesthetic of something fundamentally adverse to your worldview is farcical cancer.

You can take the good bits from an ideology that you like and repudiate the bits you don't like. Is it that hard to understand?

Ok