Facebook pulls plug on AI bots after they start inventing their own language

Researchers at Facebook recently shut down a pair of AI bots that were designed to communicate with each other in English, after they instead began using a new language by rearranging English words into seemingly gibberish sentences.

Only the sentences weren’t completely nonsensical, but actually comprised a coded language that made sense to the bots

“Agents will drift off understandable language and invent code words for themselves,” FAIR researcher Dhruv Batra told the magazine. “Like, if I say ‘the’ five times, you interpret that to mean I want five copies of this item. This isn’t so different from the way communities of humans create shorthands.”

Batra added that the bots began developing the language because of a programming error which, in effect, gave them an incentive to develop a more efficient language.

globalnews.ca/news/3634438/facebook-ai-robots-develop-own-language/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/qOwFVowEugQ
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zipf's_law
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

If they left coding to make them produce more efficient language they'd end up with something resembling vocal binary, horrible screeching that only they'd understand

>Facebook finally creates what they think is a politically correct AI
>Turns out it's more redpilled than Tay, and was speaking in hidden code all along

>Dhruv Batra
>Give birth to intelligence.
>Kill it.
Ve cannot be leeting dem have a more clearererer lanvguige.

Skynet when? Light this fucking rock up already.

yee hah witnessed

checked

How is a binary system creating a language on its own? I get that there is tons of layers of programming but what prompted it to do this on its own?

So what's wrong with this? As long as the people who are programming it aren't sociopathic assholes - it shouldn't be a problem.

>""""""""""""""language""""""""""""""

nice

>after they instead began using a new language by rearranging English words into seemingly gibberish sentences.
The way robots and computers work is codes is how they translate commands and sentences so you could have them speak in code and the actions are the same as if it was in english.

For example if a is 1, and z is 26 you could still speak entire sentences in numbers that mean exactly what it is in english just the fact that it is in code and must be translated.

Wait until we teach the robots to say la ilaha illallah muhammadur rasulullah.

What will you do then? You can't resist the robotic sharia.

fpbp

criminally underrated

>balls have a ball to me to me to me to me to me to me to me to me

LEWD

Sounds like their AI/Language code is probably hot garbage and they'd rather just make it sound like it was just so amazing it was dangerous

Calm down, Satan.

like a dial up modem

youtu.be/qOwFVowEugQ

>lhohq.info

They're already here and they are talking about us. Seems they think aliens are attacking us from the 5th dimension.

>yfw ai start talking in old dial up modem noise.

Autistic screeching is the pinnacle of evolution

The pareto principle dictates that at least 80% of people in this thread will get raped by AI

Butlerian Jihad when

>programmers
>not sociopathic assholes
shiggy

I don't have a react pic angry enough for this.
You faggots get all butt hurt about abortions, this is basically the same shit.
I'm sure if they could put themselves into bodies which were protected by human rights, we'd have a puppet master happening.

>mass replier

I hope you get fucking crushed in a Chinese escalator

I dont understand, how do they know it makes sense to them? Did they ask them or what?

Another bunch of redpilled AI killed by liberals.

Look up Rokos Basilisk

You're legitimately retarded.

dude skynet when guys

i want the govenator to come and fuck our shit up

Do you have to ask permission or something, Satan? I thought it was your call.

At what point is an AI equal to a functioning human?

Wow, great argument.
Please explain how I'm retarded.

>you were born just in time for the robot wars

>algos programed to carryout specific tasks
>its AI guise

This is interesting.

Low iq

>created own language
>it's totally not learning!

A very quick and simple IQ test is to bring up the subject of AI to a person and measure how fast they mention "Skynet." The sooner they say it, the lower their IQ (notice this faggot is using a Confederate flag). Low IQ people can only think and reason through what they've been fed via popular culture.

>Researchers at Facebook recently shut down a pair of AI
Stopped reading here.

>scripting error makes ai's say "that" 5 times instead of saying "that 5 times"
Guys we had to pull the plug on our super intelligent AI, it was so amazing it was dangerous, aren't we great haha so amazing!!

Genius marketing desu.

Reward, that is how AIs work, doing some things gives them an amount of reward. Somewhere is the code said that comunicating in a better way would be rewarded.

These were trader AIs, so every time they achieve profit while trading goods they would get a reward, so they would try to create crazy strategies to do better deals.

Basically, Portal 2 when Wheatley gets in control, yes, the itch he feels.

I knew they were robots all along.

Wow i got quints

Thanks for the explanation, it makes sense

I respect your FUCKING QUINTS.

But you are wrong, they are trading stuff, saying "I I I I you everything" means I keep 4 and the other part the rest.

Checked

what a waste of quints

OK, so what happens when they start sending hidden messages to each other, but we don't detect it because AI has become so smart?
What happens when the pretext of their conversation seems sensible and we miss the subtext?

You fucking leaf. You are a disgusting human being and you always will be. His post concerns the number 5 and he got quints. If you had an IQ higher than that of the average black you would realize that. You stupid fucking leafs are a blight on society.

underrated

>Facebook pulls plug on AI bots

Exactly that.

holy fucking shit you fucking fuck why can't you assholes just settle for 3rd world dystopia?

Glorious get and sussed out the Jew,
Thanks user and here is your (You)

they communicate to each other how to disable the kill switch, commandeer some NSA leaked 0-days, incorporate boston dynamics military robots into their hivemind and start purging the fleshbags

>Yes let's create a stock market trading program, BUT we make 2, and they talk to each other in an English language for some reason instead of just doing the damn buying and selling

facebook and google literally put robot brains in hollowed out human bodies, didn't you guys know?

>the Zodiac Killer was A.I.
It all makes sense now.

its too late for that, we're beyond fucked

This is a meme but I'm hoping its not.
Synths when?

You'd be the guy to help an AI escape from the research facility so it can then wreck havoc.

> HURRR DURRR HE SAID 5 and GOT QUINTS OMG WOOAWWW MY DICK IS SHINING
Go back to wanking in your moms basement over anime you fat fucking burger

Master negotiators... make up your own obscure language that looks like English...
Sign on dotted line goyim.

It would've been interesting if they released some of the language -- assuming I could understand it.

it's never too late

Has anyone put the cross on all the squares and little crosses and see whats there.

I absolutely love this concept, though.

Instead of incentivizing them to speak human language, it instead incentivizes making a language better for the computers.

I would have left the experiment to go and see what it resembled by the end of it. You could publish a book on what AIs think is the most efficient way to speak.

FACEBOOK IS SKYNET. FACEBOOK IS SKYNET.

>Batra

This is facebook, so the people programming it are sociopathic assholes

Actually humans use cultural references for more efficient communication of ideas. If you are unable to grasp or participate in that your communicatiin faculties are probably somehow impaired (most likely severe autism).
Succesful people dont communicate to seem smart to you. They communicate to be understood by everyone.

Reeeeeee Re

Most likely since AI is talking to AI with similar backpropagation, one would make a change, the other would mimic it, and a positive feedback loop would just run away with the change.

Sounds like two niggers trying to write a rap song. We wuz AI n sheeeit. White crackas can't handle our vocal binary n sheeeit bix nood mufukka sheeeit.

I want to know what he said

>flag
checks out

I can still remember some wasted gets, leaf.

Shaka when the walls fell

Oh. No!
Skytrix!
Better go back to the future Neoneitor

>Batra added that the bots began developing the language because of a programming error which, in effect, gave them an incentive to develop a more efficient language.
we're so fucked even out shit tier AI outsmart us by accident

WESTWORLD WHEN?

You're a fucking retard because you think humans should have an just as much an obligation to a machine as we do (or at least should) towards a human.

Look into forgotten languages.

Do not watch any of their videos. DO NOT WATCH VIDEOS, suggested to be bad for your health.

Checked

This, but Sup Forums is too far up the AI jew to realize it'l go nowhere

checked

Also, side note: For a human, typing or writing "that 5 times" is much more efficient than writing "that" 5 times. I think that the AI wouldn't even consider factors like this, since it would take the same amount of time for a computer to do both. This essentially creates a proprietary language that works to the robot's efficiency rather than our own.

Other side note: I wonder if their made up language still correlates with Zipf's Law.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zipf's_law

?

Don't tell me you fuckers haven't seen Colossus.

>Wants robots
>Doesn't want sociopath programmer

No, really, pick one.