When did video games replace fathers?

Why are video games now teaching boys how to be men? Are video games the real red pill for Caucasian boys with no father figure?

Since when did games like "Car Mechanic Simulator" replace the life experience of having your dad teach you how cars work? And what about the rise of survival games, which give a basic idea of how to not die like a bitch in the wilderness?

When the world finaly falls apart we're going to have a generation of young Western boys with the experience of modern survival/simulator games to roughly guide them. Sure they don't "truly" teach you anything, but it seems like this is how the modern white adolescent is learning to do these things.

>the life experience of having your dad teach you how cars work?
what is this?
1995?

get with the time gramps, nobody repairs their own car anymore, its all computer bullshit and you can't even fix a lightbulb without needing a computer and diagnose programs that are only sold to certified mechanics.

>me, 13 y.o
"HURR DURR DON"T TOUCH ENGINE, YOU MIGHT HURT YOURSELF"
>me, 21 y.o
"HURR DURR WHAT YOU MEAN, YOU DON'T KNOW WHERE THE CLUTCH IS"

Thank God we have YouTube now, my father has been a shitty teacher

thats because youre driving an overpriced piece of shit thats designed to fail so you pay more money. buy an older car and take care of it, youll never have any bullshit problems like that

I don't pay shit you poorfag, my company pays for it and I get a fresh BMW or Audi of my choice every 3 years.

no need to get my hands dirty.

I work as a mechanic for a living.
I can't imagine wanting to play this game, it sounds like hell to me.

Same bud my dad was a shitty teacher too

We always had imports like Mercedes that require proprietary oil and parts, plus my dad worked at a car dealership and got all the maintenance done for free.

Ended up learning nothing from him and had to hit up YouTube to know how to do shit as simple as change my oil.

Fuck off kraut shit

You can work on your own car as long as it's not an overpriced german land barge from 2012 on

I mean the difference between me changing my own oil and having the dealership do it is like $10, but I do it myself every other time because I think it's important to know how to maintain your own fucking car. Just because some dude making minimum wage can do it for cheap doesn't mean you shouldn't have experience doing it yourself. Do you also call for professional help when your battery is dead rather than jumping it from a friend's car?

Kill yourself
I bet you get people to fuck your wife too

Pussy

>as it's not an overpriced german land barge from 2012 on

This is the problem with modern imports. So many of them require special oil and such. When you already need the dealership to order in the top-sekret Mercedes/BMW oil, might as well pay them the extra $10 to just do it. In the end you have learned nothing at all.

>I mean the difference between me changing my own oil and having the dealership do it is like $10

If I wanted to do an oil change at BMW it would cost me at least 160 euro. Meanwhile I can get it done for around 50 euro (oil+oil filter)
That's around 100 euro saving. Did you get your price out of your ass?

>buying a car
>not letting the company pay for it
>can't afford shit and bitches on an anonymous imageboard about being poor

learn a better job moron

I just bring the car to the dealership where my company got it from and they do the inspection and fix shit and then send the company an invoice a few days later and if it takes too long to fix I get a fresh new car until mine is ready.

why don't you just stop being poor?

Fathers don't teach their sons how to repair a car.

Do you not find any personal satisfaction in fixing these things yourself?

I don't mean that as an insult, I'm genuinely curious. I just started getting paid for real as an anesthesiologist (finished residency two months ago) and even though I can easily afford the repairs I love the satisfaction of doing it myself in my own garage.

>overpriced piece of shit thats designed to fail so you pay more money

why is that everything now

>Special oil
Fully synthetic 5w30 good quality oil will work my dude.
My daily needs 5w30 however my other car needs 10w60 but it's a sports car with a rev happy engine.

no, I rather pay someone to do it.
thats what money is for, I give somebody money and they do something for it. that gives me way more satisfaction.

>>can't afford shit and bitches on an anonymous imageboard about being poor
>IT nerd thinking his shitty boring computer job is the shit

My car would smoke your 2.0 tdi shitbox audi lmaoooo

Who knows dude. You're not even supposed to put regular oil in a Mercedes nowadays. In the US you have to get special-ordered oil that's specific to Mercedes. Plus it's only gonna get worse with companies like Tesla that void your warranty if you do anything yourself. You can't even change a Tesla's tire yourself because they are so afraid that you'll somehow set the whole car on fire via the battery.

Have you seen the inside of a modern car?
My old man would know the first thing about it.

>would
*meant to say wouldn't

I totally feel that. I'm a pretty avid mountain biker and I have the local shop do all of the work on my bike. I could change flats or do suspension work myself but I still pay them to do it, but that's mostly because I want to financially support them as a local business. With cars though, the dealerships already make absurd amounts of money and I love the feeling of spending 20 minutes to do basic maintenance myself and have it turn out okay.

>Who knows dude.

Sure, but things like changing tires and oil, or jump-starting a dead battery? Most of my male friends in their mid 20s have no idea how to do this shit. They all have a cheap "subscription" to my state's roadside assistance for all of it. Hell, the university I graduated from has a team that will come help you do all of this if you have a problem anywhere near campus. It just seems like the current generation isn't being prepared to handle these issues on their own.

>My car would smoke your 2.0 tdi shitbox audi lmaoooo
are you like 16 years old or something? time to grow up kid

I rather drive to the dealership and drink a good coffee while flirting with the hot cunts that work there in the office.
the car is insured and always in best possible condition, and if they fuck up I get a fresh new car that I can pick from the website.

>are you like 16 years old or something? time to grow up kid
You act like a kid I treat you like one. Now go back to your cute 2.0 tdi audi krautshit

I drive a '87 Ford Sierra and I can already be sure by reading your story that I have faaaar more pleasure driving it than you.

The point is cars are not about brand and presentation only, they are about feeling.

Same. I learned to fix my jeep from YouTube and various 4x4 forums. My fathers answer to my questions was always "I don't know son"

>the car is insured and always in best possible condition, and if they fuck up I get a fresh new car that I can pick from the website.

Nah man I feel you. My car is a 2011 and I've taken it all over North America (including Leaf Land) and so I'm a bit sentimental. At this point I'd be a bit bummed if I woke up and it had been replaced with the newest model. I'll admit it's not as logical as having a "professional" do the work but goddamn do I love my shitty car.

Based.

I also want a Crown Victoria bro, but I'm Dutch..

Didn't happen with my dad, but happened when I entered the workforce nine years ago as an apprentice, not a mechanic but another trade. Worked with a man who was very skilled, but was just a horrible teacher. I picked up on way more than enough stuff to handle the more skilled end of the trade, but he never actually let me do shit because I might take a little longer at it than him at first which would cut into profits. I'd even ask him "Hey, want me to do this part while you do that other part?" and he'd just say no, so I'd basically stand around with my thumb up my ass doing bitch work until he went and finished up this other part I could have easily done myself, and would get way better at if he just let me do things at the same time he did other things. It went on for six or seven years as I awkwardly just stood and watched him work after my prep parts were done, hating that I was standing around doing nothing and getting paid, and then him turning it on me later.

Great game.

Forgot to turn off my jackass, was LARPing in another thread earlier.

>gets butthurt when called out on his immature behavior
ok kid now leave the thread, the grown ups are talking.

I drive to get from point A to point B.
I have no time to care about the car, I can change it like my underwear if I really want to.

why the irrational love for an object that is easily replaced through a newer and better model?
its kinda understandable if thats all you can afford but when you have the choice to replace whenever you want? why not?

Goddamn my dude, I'm all about that feeling. When I drove to Canada during college my mom freaked out that I was taking my own car rather than riding with a friend or flying. She just didn't understand that feeling of partnership you have with your own car. I have so many good memories of that trip. Getting it all ready to drive 1500 miles, then making it there and squinting to read the "km/hr" marks on the speedometer. It just feels so goddamn satisfying to take pride in something that has taken you all over the continent.

>he buys BMW or Audi unironically

>>gets butthurt when called out on his immature behavior
Nah you're butthurt I called you out on your shit box you bragged about. I could be careless about you but you were this level of arrogance needs shutting down.

>grown up in a 2.0 tdi with boring programmer job
Bet you can't even bench 10kg desu

Nice read, a man and his car can be the same bond as his dog, of best friend or even brother. I can completely understand your choice of driving. And as I read it worked out as you hoped

Like you said, I could afford a newer model. I really can't explain the irrational emotion of it all. This car got me through some pretty bad times in my life, and then through all of medical school. All of the late nights in the hospital, driving home at 1AM after 18 hours of work. It took me all over the country. I've driven around friends from other countries in it, and been across the border multiple times. I've taken really good care of it so it still works like new, and I don't see myself replacing it until it really bites the dust.

My mom is like you and I understand that. She replaces her car every 2 years with the latest and greatest. When I drive her car I notice how much better it is, but I can't give up my own ride. When I eventually get another, I'll probably keep this one in the garage as a keepsake.

>I could be careless about you but you were this level of arrogance needs shutting down.
Forgot to delete "you were". Phone posting.

Im a programmer too, but I can bench quite well. I dk why this Germanbro does not like cars though, all the Germans I have met love their cars

MB 229.5 is a spec that a lot of high-quality oil meets. Castrol 0W40 or Mobil1 0W40, heck even Rotella T6 would work I think... if you are willing to do a bit of research you would realize that not much has changed, other than the fact that many people are helpless and stupid.

Do not get rid of this car, it may hunt you when you get older and wish nadly for just one more nostalgic drive. Life is just so short

>And as I read it worked out as you hoped

Sure did. Only problem I had was the stick not registering when I put it in drive, which I temporarily resolved with a bit of jiggling. Scariest part was that it happened in a sketchy Detroit gas station with nogs everywhere who kept walking up and asking for smokes and I didn't bring a weapon because I was driving across the Canadian border. Ended up being a good call because I guess I looked suspicious and they searched the car in Sarnia.

It's only worth like $3k on trade-in right now, so I don't plan on getting rid of it. When I finally get a new car, this one will stay maintained under a cover in the garage.

read again, I ain't paying shit.

>literally "no u" as reply
lol ok bro whatever

>Bet you can't even bench 10kg desu
the penis comparsions are coming next?

kids these days.

man its just an object, get over it. if you have a place to keep it and can afford it then do it but personally I don't see a reason to keep old stuff.

I like cars, a car is status symbol.
but I don't like wasting my time getting it repaired and stuff.

also the newer the car the better it is.

>man its just an object, get over it

Sure it is, but with lots of memories tied to it. Probably the same reason I still have my original NES and Xbox neatly wrapped up in my closet.

Just did the brakes on my 1994 GMC 1500 with the 5.7L 350 V8. 110k mi and still butter smooth transmission. Also have done oil lines, water pump, fuel filter, thermostat, tires, paint work, oil changes. Get yourself an old truck kids, parts are cheap, its off the ground high enough to make everything easy to wrench on. Shit for gas, but you can make that up by hauling stuff from point A to B instead of renting a truck or paying for services. I've already saved thousands in labor costs in maintenance and landscaping services just by having the ease of loading shit up in this very useful 8ft bed.

Everything about them says you are a MAN that DOES. Not some faggot degenerate cosplaying lumberjack with a bus pass. Nah, you got yourself a truck, you can haul actual wood, a chain saw, and tow a log splitter all at the same time. Spray it out throw down a comforter and be a leg splitter in the evening. You are a mobile fuck station advertising real manliness and capability everywhere you go.

Trucks change your life.

You're one of them fellas who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.. I bet you vote for Mama Merkel too. Niggerlover

I don't vote at all. I have no time for this shit.
all that matters to me is money.

Weak men like you destroy nations.
You have no core values and stand for nothing.
Truly the scum of the earth.

but by participating in some retarded already rigged election I would stand for something?

get real dude

Former teacher here

When Generation X saw "devices" as a surrogate babysitter

It depends on the car, most of the German/Japanese cars are over engineered with unnecessary computers and other bullshit, American cars are shitty but at least they don't have 50 computers for each thing

>all that matters to me is money.
This is all I need to know about you to know who you are.
Juden

>all that matters to me is money

Your mentality is disgusting.

It's either Merkel or shutz, if I was him I wouldnt vote too

>with unnecessary computers and other bullshit
elaborate
what "unnecessary computers" ?

no im not a jew
but I know lots of jews.
if you can't beat em, join em.

are you a communist or something?

>buy an older car and take care of it
so when it's inevitably damaged, you can't replace dick because you have no parts availability and THEN have to replace it with a new "old car" which ends up being a new car today and you're FUCKED because you're exactly where you didn't want to be in the first place

I used to do compensation for a global company and I know cars are common benefits around the world. Its not a normal benefit in america. One thing to note is its usually a shitbox like chrysler 200 or ford focus. One thing to note if this user was anyone special or important his car would be serviced while he was at work.

Tldr no one gives a fuck achmed

Pic related

Most Chevrolets (GM) have approximately 5 separate computing modules.
Most Fords have 4.
Chrysler (now Fiat-Chrysler Automobiles, FCA), depending on the model has either 4 or has one called the TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module) which is a glitchy pos.

To have a non-electronic vehicle, you basically have to have a pre-1995 vehicle.

>One thing to note is its usually a shitbox like chrysler 200 or ford focus.
that must suck.

for me it was always Audi/BMW/Mercedes, the latter not so much anymore because Mercedes looks butt ugly since many years.

so then, remove your Airbag deployment and crash into a tree. see? not "unnecessary" at all.

i have to chip my challenger faggot

>driver alertness monitor
>computer thinks you sleep
>won't let you start the car

>lane correction system
>lane is under construction so no marking
>car changes lanes and kills you

none of that happens EVER.

Right in germany that is the case but they are base models. You also have it imputed in your income so you pay taxes. Youre free car isnt free since youre paying taxes to the government instead of a car bill.

I had a dad and he didn't know jack shit about cars. I know more than him.

If all that matters to you is money, would you suck a refugees dick for a 1000€? If not, what's your price anyway?

Old pc games got me into tinkering with things. When I was fucking around with some win95 shit and learned I could change the game files I was off. That translated into other things. Funnily enough it was my single mother that taught me how to fix a car. I realize most single moms are complete shit but you shouldn't lament not having a daddy, learn shit yourself and make yourself a man.

Jesus Christ how awfully pathetic OP

e30 v8 ftw

>buy one of useless, gas hungry burger cars

>needing a computer and diagnose programs that are only sold to certified mechanics.
and you're an idiot. Those code readers only cost ~$30 and if you have a laptop, you can plug it into the car(with the right software of course). All the good germans died didn't they?

Planned Obsolescence aka Capitalism

Pff. My dad was good at working on cars, but was a drunk shithead, so I taught myself how to work on cars with a shop manual. Unless you're pulling heads or fucking with pistons, you can do pretty much anything if you use the right tools and a good shop manual. On pre-2000's cars, that is. Diagnosing cars is harder than actually fixing something. That's what my friends taught me, how to figure out where the problem was. The only thing I couldn't figure out was a van that wouldn't start - starter was fine, solenoid was fine, was getting spark, was getting fuel...turns out there's a switch in the shift lever (automatic) that has to be engaged for it to start, and it was worn out - the guy at the car parts store told me to check it, because he sold a bunch of them for that year/model.
Now? Won't touch my car, was built in 2013, and it's not designed to be worked on. I won't even do the oil, it's too hard to get to.

>not bumming a work car from your parents business

Enyoy being wagecucked pleb

>but they are base models
depends where you work and how high up you are in the company.

>Youre free car isnt free
free enough for me
I can drive as much as I want and I don't pay gas, don't pay insurance and don't pay the taxes for it.
the company pays for everything. but otherwise yes, I pay shitloads of taxes for other shit.

I have better ways making money, ways were I keep my dignity.

who the fuck cares?
like I said many times before, I get it all for free anyway.

sounds like something a poorfag would do.

>Enyoy being wagecucked
yes I do, the money is absolutely worth it and my job is very very comfy and high class.

Love working on cars. I've rebuilt to engines, with help. My cousin owns a speed shop back east, love to move back and have access to his tools to work on shit. My mom's side of the family were into custom cars and bikes and working on them. If my dad wasn't a drunk, he probably would have, too - he built rods as a teenager. We always had the basic tools growing up, and I added to them as soon as I got my first beater.
I remember once, I was working on my car all weekend, and our neighbor came over, and was saying how disapointed in his son he was, he sees me working on my car, and his son takes his truck to the shop for oil changes. Kid was a pussy, we all knew that.
My dream retirement is a small house with a shop big enough for working on cars, woodworking, and small scale metal machining. I like to build stuff. But I'm older, so I got shop in school, and was encouraged to do shit like that. Even drunk dad did woodworking, for a while. It mystifies me when I meet kids in their twenties who don't know how to use a hammer, or a wrench.

The same time teachers replaced parents

Most people can't jump start cars, because nobody has a manual. And most people don't know how to drive a manual. I had a VW in college that perpetually had a dead battery, I could roll start that thing anywhere, alone, lol.
I have AAA, always have, because towing and locksmithing, but my current car wasn't designed to be worked on.
Most 20 year old dudes these days would be mystified over a torque wrench - and why you use one. I learned to work on cars, because I had to = need to get to school, or work - get that shit running.

I'm just going to assume you got pissed off watching Lirik play this.

I bought a Mustang brand new in 95, and drove it 14 years, with no problems, just because I loved that car. I finally sold it, because it was at the age it was all falling apart. I miss that car. My current car is reliable and all that, but I don't love driving it the way I did that mustang. I see them cheap on Craigslist, and if I had a place to park it, I'd get one as a project car.

Oh, you're one of those cubicle shitheads who thinks their car defines them. LOL. I deal with your dainty white hands types every day at work. You're the kind of pansy who freaks out if your keyboard gets unplugged, because you have no skills, like a real man. (And no, I'm not IT)

>cubicle
no I have my own office.

>You're the kind of pansy who freaks out if your keyboard gets unplugged
I use a wireless one because too many visible cables is something for plebs.

I had a van for a while, a 1979 Chevy with a V8. Bitch to work on, but man, what a power plant. That thing would fly, even with all the CA smog shit on it. No computers, just fuel and battery. We used that fucker to pull stumps. Was rock solid until it threw a rod. Analog everything, it was awesome.

Jump start and roll start are 2 different things

You're still a useless pussy.

I have no respect for a man child who can't use tools.

Dear god, a 90's mustang is your opinion of driving pleasure!? Horrible suspension, horrible handling, gas guzzling with low hp, A FUCKING CABLE CLUTCH like a lawn tractor...

Fuck.

The new ones are pretty good, but damn, get a proper car. My first was a 93 240sx coupe. That was a hell of a car. Reliable, sharp handling, torquey motor for the size. At the time $9 would fill it up and give about 2 weeks of driving.

>who can't use tools.
who said I can't?
I just don't need to and have better use for my time.

My bad- kids these days can't do either, anyway. Like the admin at work, her car was dead, she left the headlights on, all she could do is stand there wringing her hands and moaning "But WHYYYYYY". I offered to jump start her, because I carry cables (like a man does), but that freaked her out even more, she thought the car would explode if I did that, or something.
Useless people piss me off.

Dude, who fucking asked you? Go fuck yourself, then go fuck your mother, when your grandfather is done. Then go fuck your ricer.

I say you can't. I guarantee your hands are lily white soft, like a woman's. You know they are.

Pussy.

When my father died when I was 5 and I started playing Pokémon 3 months later, which then helped me out of crippling depression.

Lol. At least you would be blown away by what Ford makes now.

I have a Fiesta ST that is the shit. Performance of a 90's Porsche or Ferrari in an econobox. Also dirt cheap so I laugh at my coworkers who pay out the ass for Lexuses or Tahoes.

and yet I make probably a hundred times more money than you do.
now go crouch in the dirt and collect screws from the ground.

I think you're reading too much into a game from a genre well known for extremely specific shovelware.

I have 2005 Sierra it was my first car and I love the thing so easy to work on.
But my dads brand new Silverado is beautiful and can't wait until I have enough money to buy one