Why are younger Americans increasingly choosing not to get driver's licenses, Sup Forums?

Why are younger Americans increasingly choosing not to get driver's licenses, Sup Forums?

>he share of high school seniors across the country who have a driver’s license dropped from 85.3 percent in 1996 to a record low 71.5 percent in 2015, according to data from the University of Michigan’s Monitoring the Future survey.

>The drop has been sharpest in the South, where the share of high school seniors with a driver’s license fell from 88.6 percent in 1996 to 71.2 percent in 2015. High school seniors are most likely to have a license in the Midwest — 80.4 percent — and least likely to have one in the Northeast — 64.8 percent.

This is a big shift in terms of American culture, where getting your license as soon as possible used to be a top priority for almost every teen.

pbs.org/newshour/updates/many-teens-dont-want-get-drivers-license/

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=YTyQgwVvYyc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I have a CDL. If for some reason I become unemployed I can always drive commercially.

Why bother? Google says self driving cars in five years :^)

people are getting fatter so they subconsciously want to move their bodies more to get around

chemicals in the water

Who here drives /manual/?

It is the superior way to drive, without question.

What's that around the car?
Did it run over the Spaghetti Monster?

With set driving cars on the horizon and the price of ride sharing it's getting less necessary to own a car especially if you live in an urban area

Hello fellow truckerbro

>has to change gears
>not comfy auto cruise control

the leaf

>get driver license with 18, oh so many years ago
>never drive a single meter, ever since
What do I win?

Because their are no alpha males.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=YTyQgwVvYyc

Until you're replaced by robots two years from now.

If I was American I would ride a motorcycle, they cost nothing to insure in America and you can buy used for cheap

It's fun but it's good to have an auto car too. Driving in traffic, answering the phone and drinking a beer with stick shift is not fun

I live in california, it is hard as shit, and used cars are fucking expensive out here. Fucking dicks drove up prices and made it impossible to get a license.

Hagfish.

Literally fucking hagfish.

Eels i think
Were stored in the boot, car got rear ended

Why both?

>drinking a beer
Texas?

I drink a beer when I get stuck on the Allen Rd in Toronto, but that's keeping the car in 1st for 30 minutes

Fewer work opportunities for teenagers, less desire by teenagers to work, and mandatory car insurance for possessing a driver's license in many states.

Only Chinamen is going to be driving around in a BMW X6 filled with eels.

>Why are younger Americans increasingly choosing not to get driver's licenses
New cars are uninspired shit compared to old ones. I am currently without a car and I plan to either rebuild a classic or create something custom from the frame up.

Because every subsequent generation becomes more and more infantilized by globalism. I know at least a half dozen people my age (29) who don't have licenses but aren't disqualified from having them. They're just too lazy to take the test and make their parents drive them around, or they beg for rides from friends.

you can't call yourself a white man if you dont drive manual
auto is for dumb niggers
also niggers can't drive stick

manual is too involved for daily commuting, especially if you enter a "mental autopilot" mode while driving

This raises even more questions!

Trucker here. Not happening. Take that to the bank

If they live in big cities and use public transportation and uber then why own a car when the longest distance you will ever travel in your life is just few miles?

>Fucking dicks drove up prices

You mean our nigger ex-president, right?

This.

Manual is the ultimate anti-nigger-steal proof vehicle.

I was stupid and spent my adolescence spending all my money supporting my deadbeat family of self-entitled emotionally abusive baby boomers. Any time I'd get close to having enough to buy a car, get a license, etc, someone would be on the verge of homelessness or whathaveyou, and I couldn't say no. I got nothing out of it, they put literally zero effort into my upbringing.

Now I'm 26, still no car, small town, no real prospects, no education, family is just as deadbeat as ever, and I no longer care that much. I'm just hoping the apocalypse happens before I'm too old to hold my own in a fight.

This

Yes that nig drove inflation through the roof, and increased the debt. Now shits expensive, and california went as far to ban plastic AND paper bags. KMS

Are you me?

well, think about it this way.
> your car is 'dad's old trans-am' half buried in the front yard, covered in discarded toys, with no wheels, and a broken windshield
>she's gonna need a little work but she's all yours
>in less than 10 years, your manager will retire, allowing you an opportunity to move into management there at the $1.99 store
>then...you'll finally be able to afford to fix her up to get all of the hot chicks working the drive-thru at the Dairy Queen

you've got a little time to worry about getting a license

Okay. I'll bet your career on it.

auto for daily, manual for fun.

Large truck carrying load of eels tipped over on OR hwy and spilled it's load all over that car. Sad day if you care about all the fishies that died due to stupid human error. Pretty nasty mess too.

lol, for about 4 months before the news of deaths caused by faulty and primitive self-driving car technology comes rolling in.

you fucking scifi subverted retard. robots cannot replace human creativity and problem solving (unless you count subhumans like niggers and chinks)

Gonna say this is probably due to the boomer generation being over and their surplus of cars for their children to inherit.

Today's parents are lucky if they got out of the city and own anything other than a dumb fucking Prius.

I'll take that bet

You've been taking that bet your whole life you just didn't know it

Hi, it's me!

>implying a few deaths is anything compared to the number of deaths caused daily by human error

This. Your average jerkoff normie will never understand

Why bother when you can just have mummy drive you or call an Uber? I doubt they have the financial means to acquire a car and to maintain it.

I'm just glad me and my gf could lease a new car that only costs us $250 a month after spending over a decade driving shitboxes.

Also
>>>"robots"
>robots can't replace human creativity and problem solving
Yes, they can.

>Ban guns
>a few shootings happened
>Ban self driving cars
>Its only an isolated incident

>robots cannot replace human creativity and problem solving
>says visibly enervated robot for the 100th time

Insurance is fucking unholy
I do not have the income to deal with the costs, so I choose to just walk or bike instead

I never got one because I grew up in downtown Toronto. It's impossible to find parking and if you do it costs an arm and a leg plus your entire nutsack -- traffic moves at a slow crawl. The subway is $2 and gets you around faster.

You will likely still need a license

Also a parking space often comes at additional cost if you rent/own a condo/apartment so it costs money even if you don't drive it anywhere.

Look pol another corporate marketing fag.
If they cant get you on a lifetime of car payments they must find something else. Also keep in mind the ((( Bankers ))) are very sad you are not paying INTEREST on a big fat fucking car loan, as we now know , that money is loaned into existance as debt. it inflates the money supply and devalues currency already in circulation. Just the same as if you cranked up a printing press and ran off 30 K in new bills.
Fuck the dealers, fuck marketers and fuck bankers , double. now , fuck off

What the fuck are you talking about? New cars are GOAT compared to the shitty 90s cars I grew up with.

Driver's licenses used to be simple to get. You took drivers Ed at school for the cost of "nothing" and then took the test at 15 or 16. In some states, no training was even required. Insurance was optional if you didn't want comprehensive coverage and weren't worried about being sued.

Today, a lot of states have multiple layers if bureaucratic bullshit. A kid can't even start without taking a class, a test, insurance. Then has to take another class but the schools don't offer it so they are about $800 and only run in evenings or on weekends for an hour. That's 40 lessons. Even taking it every evening, takes 8 weeks. That qualifies you for the SECOND level. You can't get the "real" license until 18 and even then may be limited to certain conditions until 21.
Liability insurance can cost $200 or more every month.

TL;DR it's a pain in the ass and expensive.

Wrong. If you actually know how to drive a standard, it isn't complicated.
Real problem now is finding one. They used to be cheaper but now cost a couple thousand more than standard and may need to be ordered.
Since no one learns to drive them, they burn out clutches too often...which costs another $800 to replace every year.

No, retards like the one I replied to seem to think self-driving cars need to be 100% accident free to be viable when they actually only need to be as good or better than humans which isn't hard because a lot of people are shitty drivers. The biggest problem a self driving car has to deal with is people. Without people, self driving cars would most likely very rarely have any problems

Because the future is in "common people" not being able to even register a personal non-self-driving car, and everyone else will just drive first in service cars like Uber, or shared self-driving cars (like the current shared bicycles in a lot of cities, and there are some programs for shared cars already, all smartphone-activated and tracked of course).

In America it might not happen that quickly, but in Europe cars will soon require a license similar to a gun license.

>new cars are GOAT compared to older new cars
He isn't talking about the 90's you industrial cock inhaling faggot

Ok what I am being told is, skynet is a viable investment to make.

I have a drivers licence and it's a fucking meme. Cops and cameras are everywhere now just waiting to fuck you for revenue. It's not fun to drive at all with speed traps. It's just a big fucking hassle. Can't wait to move somewhere where I can take public transport.

It's similar in Canada. I have to pay 300-400 dollars a month in insurance just because I'm a white male under 25. Fuck that.

government rent seeking

Can't wait until I tell my grandchildren that people had to drive cars and it was fun doing it. Almost like a Disney ride.

>shitty 90s
That's why you don't go newer than 79

Oh fuck are you me? Someone even gave me a car but I've spent every penny supporting 5 other people and I can't afford to even give it a god damned battery to get it running.

No. People are retarded and don't trust self driving cars due to said retardation

I don't know, maybe it's the increasing regulations and the increasing awareness for the potential crashes. With all of that shit combined with people not doing enough exercise and shit, could you really blame them for walking or taking uber?

The next generation is going to have difficulties affording cars just like the current generation is having difficulty affording homes.

Eventually people will struggle to afford food and bam...global communism makes it to america.

What happens when those self driving cars start communicating with other self driving cars, they will make up their own code and language like what happened to those two robots passing the ball.

In my county there are probably 40 to 50 speed traps with cameras, some fixed others that move around. Most of those are sited in zones that suddenly drop off to 30mph from 40 or 50 with little warning. If you miss the sign you're fucked.

Each ticket is 75 bucks, so as a it's literally almost impossible to just drive for the sake of driving. All of your attention goes to watching your speed rather than being a good driver. It's absolutely retarded.

as a poorfag*

You wake up from your autistic dream and learn how programming works

Manual master race reporting

Japanese 90's cars are the greatest cars ever made

any other car besides 70's and 80's AMC's are shit

They can write there own code if they can communicate with eachother.

Did you read what I replied with?

Sorry totally my fault, glad you're not hurt too bad. My rad blew, we should exchange insurance info you think?

>not comfy auto cruise control
Manuals have CC retard

I've been driving for over ten years now, and I've literally gotten ONE ticket for some BS, made up traffic violation in a small town where they were desperate to fill their end of the month quota

22yo without license, I just don't want one. I took some five hour class when I was 16 and I don't want to have to sit through it again. I don't drive that much and I really don't want to drive any more than I do.
I find it stressful as fuck and have seen plenty of car accidents to know how terrible some drivers are. Plus once I do get it then I need to but my own car, which there are very few relatively cheap ones left, and I need to pay for insurance.
I know I have to get it but I'm just not looking forward to it.

>it's this more complicated thing, but it's totally easy if you invest all this time to learn it
>it's rare and more expensive
>it costs more on maintenance
Golly gee, I sure want to drive stick!

where do you live? I've gotten maybe 5 tickets in 3 years and I don't even think I speed more than the average car on the road.

>In my county there are probably 40 to 50 speed traps with cameras, some fixed others that move around. Most of those are sited in zones that suddenly drop off to 30mph from 40 or 50 with little warning. If you miss the sign you're fucked.
Oh yeah, that too, you're already forced to drive like a robot because of mass surveillance, they even have cameras that register when you enter a highway, and when you leave it, and calculate your speed, they don't even have to GPS track you or anything.

Yes I did, quit chimping out and understand computers can write their own code.

I wonder if people actually think this

Honestly, I think its because the instructors have been getting "stricter", and because licensing institutions are basically monopolies straight up jewing young people. They don't teach you how to drive well either.

>not entering mental stickshift autopilot

BECAUSE LAWS CHANGED AND IT'S NOW FUCKING IMPOSSIBLE TO GET A LICENCE.

FUCKING CANADA REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>and learn how programming works

My Canadian relatives only use public transport to travel, that's the future of Canada I suppose.

>and california went as far to ban plastic AND paper bags

wait really?

Good. Stupid little shits aren't mature enough to be driving.

You need to be 21 to be "mature" enough to handle a beer but a 16 year old is mature enough to handle a couple tons of metal? Fuck that.

Because there are too many cars.

to be fair that's only because you have a retarded drinking age I don't know of any other country aside from completely dry ones in the middle east that has a drinking age above 19

video games. driving in real life is just excruciatingly boring compared to driving in GTAV. this is also linked with millennial men not being as interested in disgusting whore millennial women and turning to hentai instead.

This shit will really bake your noodle. When you get a car you get a certificate of title. It is not the actual ownership title of the car however. It simply ' certifies ' that the state has a title for that car. You must then pay ' Rent ' in form of registration / fees / ect. just to drive it. It is also considered ' collateral ' since the car was only paid for in FRN's not ' Lawful ' money, which is gold or silver.

what are you going to do with a license anyways
people's parents watch then 24/7 I knew kids in highschool who had gps trackers on their car
sick parties in highschool were a dime a dozen and half of them got busted by the faggy ass suburban police with like 5 patrol cars
so why get a license when you can be a comfy neet and play vidya all day

I never got my license because my local DMV tried jewing me out of 60 shekels after they intentionally failed me, despite the fact that the only "wrong" thing I did during the driving test, was park a few inches to far to the right. If they're going to be playing games with me, then I'm not even going to bother.
Everything I need is in biking or transit distance anyway, and insurance/gas/car payments are way too fucking expensive too.

>tfw took N test 6 times
>failed for:
>speeding in school zone
>speeding in school zone
>rolling stop
>parking in front of a hydrant I didn't notice because it was white and green
I've literally never seen a non-red fire hydrant before that point
>various little things that don't matter

Its not even that I'm a bad driver. I'm actually pretty fucking good. I just don't give a fuck about rules and can't follow them even for half an hour.