71% of the Earth's surface is water

>71% of the Earth's surface is water
>96% of the Earth's water is in the Ocean
>less than 5% of the Ocean has been explored
>there are know known to be minerals, resources, creatures, etc down there
>possibility of discovering something crazy
>instead we spend our time trying to get to Mars when there is nothing on it but a deadly ice cap and a desert with no resources, oxygen, and little gravity

Why don't we just explore the Ocean?

Other urls found in this thread:

oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/exploration.html
sciencealert.com/a-flying-observatory-just-detected-oxygen-in-the-martian-atmosphere
youtube.com/watch?v=fnkHRtpTztc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

too expensive
You'd have an easier time getting to mars

>there are know known to be minerals, resources, creatures, etc down there

You sound like a 14 y/o pakistani who just discovered youtube. I want to punch you in the face so hard.

>Why don't we just explore the Ocean?
It's not habitable for humans. Mars has possibly potential to be made habitable.

we are dumbass

been doing it for thousands of years

It's all connected. You explore 5% at various points and you have a pretty good idea what it's all like.

>why don't we start living in the ocean where the pressure can kill you in 90% of it

Sick

Deep ocean is probably easier to explore than mars

You seem to not understand the reason we explore space. The reason we need to explore and colonize space is to MOVE there. We have to more to other worlds or else an asteroid or ayy lmao's could wipe out our existence in an instant.

Explain, I'm curious on what you mean.

This is stupid.

They know whats in the ocean. Whats at 5 feet in depth is pretty standard around the planet, just like at whats at 10,000 feet and 15,000...etc

Because that makes too much sense.

>>less than 5% of the Ocean has been explored

I hear this a lot, but can you cite this?

It's easier to go to space than it is to explore our deep so, according to some oceanographer bloke.

i had one of those for dinner the other night.
it was kind of greasy

A simple Google search. "How much of the ocean have we explored"

>what is do your own research

the deep ocean environment is much more hostile to human life than mars is

it's just cheaper and quicker to get there. but it isn't that much cheaper, and once you get there, there's not a whole lot you can actually use for sustaining life.

>why don't we start living on Mars where the oxyg-
oh wait there is none

his ass

You made a claim, the burden of proof is on you.

Post some links from legitimate sources, please.

The purpose of the missions to outer space isn't exploration and expansion

The real purpose is to escape what lies within

(((they))) don't want you exploring the oceans

oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/exploration.html

The further down into the ocean you go the more simplistic the life becomes. What's the point?

The pressure differential between our atmosphere and the ocean floor is much higher than between our atmosphere and a vacuum. Once we get reusable rocketry refined to the point where it becomes economical to construct large spacecraft piece by piece in LEO, we're set for space exploration.

>only 5% has been explored

This triggers the nu-male sense of intellect and adventure as an escapism of the 9/5 office job

deep sea gigantism. i want to find the kraken.

>I want to punch you in the face so hard.

And how do you suppose you sound?

nigger XD

Because if we fuck up under the ocean it affects the whole Earth. If we fuck up getting to Mars a few nerds become scrambled eggs on the tarmac.

we've known for years that there are huge methane hydrate ice deposits on the ocean floor. the problem is figuring out how to mine it.

i don't think you have a good grasp on physics and why mining the oceans might be harder than it looks.

Lifelike planet vs death zone we know nothing about.

FUCK off leaf

>lol we just dive into ocean and explore it all , its so ez guis.

pro tip ufos are actually usfo the governments all know this and push le space meme to keep people from prying. Literally a couple civilizations that are also terrestrial share the planet with us some live in the ocean many more live in the inner earth

>wyoming's search is smoking
If this isn't forshadowing yellowstone I don't know what is

Thank you.

Because (((they))) live down there

I never said it was easy.
>I don't think you have a good grasp on physics
I will look more into mining when it comes to the Ocean.
>lifelike
The ocean is right here on Earth. That sounds pretty lifelike to me.

The oil industry actually does a ton of ocean exploration and they are the driving force for most ocean exploration at this time. Oddly enough that is the same industry the left wants to destroy. Also one of the major reasons we can't explore most of the ocean is the crushing pressure involved. It takes specialized robots just to explore to 10000ft/3000m depth because at those depths the pressure is too intense for human survival (literally hundreds of times of our atmospheric pressure). There are no engineered materials we have currently that could even make a habitat for human occupancy past the 1000ft/300m depth. Only twice have humans reached sea floor in literally a foot thick metal sphere and only for a very short period. Also any exploration at depth requires hours of decompression before humans can return to normal atmospheric pressure. The costs of sea exploration and difficulty is far above that of space exploration.

Because they won't let us.

Thank you for the explanation. I thought of bringing up exploring the ocean because constantly the media glorifies Space and I am interested in what the hell is right below us.

>Sup Forums is an academic safeplace
eurotrash detected

Lazy spoonfed retard

Earth has resources and life etc.
Mars has resources and 0 life if they don' find some bacterium living under a rock.

They can tear Mars up no end to get the resources. and no Greenpeace types can say they are doing any damage. The machinery needed will essentially be 1005 automated and only require a small team of humans to oversee from an orbiting station.

Or we can work on the sea beds and everything can be 1000% more expensive, dangerous and damaging to environments.

I mean I'm at my 9-5 job and wouldn't mind leaving it all behind to explore Atlantis, would you?

>The costs of sea exploration and difficulty is far above that of space exploration.

Not sure how true that is. Name once when an expedition to the deep sea had the same budget and man power as one of the Apollo missions, including the tech and engineering.

We don't go to the deep because theirs no profit in doing so. Space will provide us with massive resources in the future, the deep sea wont.

>yfw it wasn't just a book

you say that like it would be a bad thing.

>they're on earth

So are volcanoes.
sciencealert.com/a-flying-observatory-just-detected-oxygen-in-the-martian-atmosphere

You know how scientists are always clamoring about how we know more about outer space then we do our own oceans?

Maybe there is a fucking reason for that
1. The ocean sucks
2. Who wants to be around some faggy fish
3. Fuck salt

Let me explain to you something Sup Forums
We never need to explore our fucking oceans because theres nothing cool down there
So dont you go looking because your going to waste your time my time and humanities time

I dont understand why anyone would wanna go check out that bullshit

If you wanna get the same experience just go to the deepend of the pool or a pond and its the same exact shit just deeper

I repeat there is nothing cool in our unexplored oceans and aint nobody got time to find it out.

Was going to paste this.

there's nothing in the ocean, just a huge empty space.

and even if we did explore the ocean, we couldn't do anything with it.

>we only know 5% of the ocean at best
>dude theres nothing in the ocean

how the fuck would you know that you faggot

chtulhu pls go

Reddit out

Are you kidding? Our entire society would collapse if we discovered the ruins of Atlantis

Maybe we know so little about whats under the sea because people actually know what is down there and they don't want us to know about the good stuff

Because it's more dangerous than space

Because we'd rather explore Antartica.

Also has minerals and resources.

Conditions are friendlier to life. Just need airships and robots.

I am tired of this mars/ocean meme.

Terraform the existing deserts of the world, if you want to terraform something.

Extract resources from Antartica, if you want to extract resources from a hostile climate- but you don't even want to do this, because there are unextracted resources in friendlier climates.

Die.

You are not seeing how hard it is. We are not talking about some mid sea level exploration. You want to go into the abyss and extract material and gather info. We don't have the tech to go that deep and mine. Also the ocean is enourmous and it would be like looking for a needle in a haystack as big as a country. Space is not so complicated because we don't really have to do anything to explore the outer reaches thanks to the telescopes and things alike.

There are aliens in the sea. Anonimous sources say so. Pic for proof

They have seen whats down there. Thats why They are trying to get to Mars.

or we could do both
duh
this fucking "pick one" mentality irritates me

it's not like removing funding from space puts more funding into ocean or vice versa

Underneath the
Seaaaaaaalab, underneath the waaateerr

Also fuck the sea it's a god damn hellhole.
youtube.com/watch?v=fnkHRtpTztc

Why not both?

holy fuck hahaha

There are probably a couple HUGE sea monsters we haven't found lurking in secret underwater caves and shit, but otherwise we have a decent understanding of what all is in it

Ive always thought this way. Space exploration is a fucking meme retards get fooled into because of science fiction.

No thanks I don't want to meet any Old Ones today, I'm good man

Because tax payers can't be fleeced for trillions of dollars by the promise of exploring the ocean. Space is much more fantastic and expensive

Holy shit it looks like the Pastafarians found their God!

Are you seriously implying that Mars is more livable than the ocean?

>only POV state

true patrician

>requesting a source is now makes you a Reddit-er
THIS IS THE WORLD WE LIVE IN
THESE ARE THE HANDS WE'RE GIVEN

Holy fuck you're retarded. Mars can be made habitable. The ocean cannot. Kill yourself.

That's a shitty source, to be fair. They're also just baselessly throwing that number around.

A proper source would be a metaanalysis of survey data - if such a thing even exists for the oceans.

Because ocean is even less hospitable than Mars.

Might have a bit of trouble breathing underwater you fucking mong.

Oh, im gonna print this on canvas for my room. Thanks.

kek

These photos are taken out of context. It looks a lot less strange when you see the whole organism from an appropriate angle. Deep sea creatures have fucked up weird eyes but their silhouette is usually pretty recognizable. Closeups really fuck with their proportions and hide a lot of information.

A lot of terrestrial animals have freaky fucked up mouths and feet too, but you don't see them primarily reported on using photos of them. Velvet worms are qts until you see their fucked up mouth parts. Same goes for most everything. You never want to see a close up of the eyes and mouth or you will never look at most animals the same again.

Depth: 1278m
Titled: 1.5 miles down
Burger education?

this.

There cannot be proper source for that claim, because there is no proper criteria of 'explored'.

We fish the sea for resources, but we don't know what goes on in the depths. Intelligence in a form we wouldn't immediately recognize exists down there. Sometimes we fish it up by accident. Imagine the horror.

Aliens fish the bottom of gravity wells for resources, but they don't know what goes on in the depths. Intelligence in a form they wouldn't immediately recognize exists down there (us). Sometimes they fish us up by accident. Imagine the horror.

>breathing
Least of problems.
>pressure
>cold
>no light
>no radio

You are literally a bluepilled fag if you think humans are ever going to move to other planets. Stop watching star track and open your eyes to reality, not fantasy.

>implying aliens won't just kill the other colonies as well

You can define some, for example "has been visually examined and mapped". This is not a big problem.

Holy fuck it's Sealab 2021.

Water pressure is too great. Even with the technology we have today, the equipment can't stay down there very long before the water pressure crushes it's crumpling a piece of paper.

You want a loan of $20,000? I'm not giving you $10,000. Why did you want $1000 anyway? Don't forget about the $50,000 you owe me.

because whats really underneath the oceans depths is the entrance to hell and heavily guarded by demons until they are given the clear to invade land above when the time is nigh.