Is Sup Forums ready to start praising the sun and embrace our solar future...

Is Sup Forums ready to start praising the sun and embrace our solar future? There will be a solar plant that will sell electricity for less than 2 cents per Kilowatt hour this year. For reference coal plants are around to 6-8 cents per kilowatt hour.
pv-tech.org/news/solar-will-drop-below-two-cents-in-2017-gtm

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flywheel_energy_storage
archive.is/M2spN
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yes, tech, innovation the future, the white race making a new world for ourselves

Nuclear is the future. Solar is shit.

Did you read the article? It basically disclaims that solar electricity at 2 cents per kw/h is only possible given the outlier market characteristics of Saudi Arabia.

" It's important to note that we don't view these ultra-low bids as a long-term sustainable trend, and we believe only projects that capitalize on scale, preferential non-recourse financing, and free land, permitting costs and long construction timelines can achieve these prices, and their viability as bankable assets is yet to be proven."

Fuck you and your 8 cent power
Fuck niggerfornia

Solar will be the cheapest option around the world in a matter of a few years, what I am curious about is if your going to see a rush of the human population going to the desert regions to maximize solar potential

Solar energy must be harvested, but right now humanity is just so fucking bad at this.

Even then though they already have solar plants at 2 cents per kilowatt hour in Mexico, Chile, and Dubai

the only good thing cheap solar and cheap batteries is that they will make it easier to go innawoods

Do you want electricity? Use steam to spin a turbine. All other methods are shit.

But they won't because the yare selling the energy to predesignated areas not the pannels themselves.
Either way you are hooked up to a system that is run by the cosmopolitan centers that feel they can dictate everything about your life.

What about energy storage?

checked. let's see what the price is after 10 years when the panels start crapping out

>drain the suns energy
>sky goes dark
>crops no longer grow
>eternal winter

Solarfags pls leave

Giant flywheels the size of Texas.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flywheel_energy_storage
archive.is/M2spN

Will you run this country's steel mills off of battery power?

>praising the sun

>Be westcuck
>Succeed 100% clean energy near future
>Still dies of cancer because of Asian pollution.

I have worked for solar companies in Aus and the US.

Solar will never be as cheap as coal unless you intervene with subsidies or regulation.

/thread.

If it's so great how come nobody's using it?

Are hippies ready to acknowledge that solar panels are the ultimate capitalist scam of selling you solar panels built with multiple supply bottlenecks and scarcity of key resources needed to manufacture them? Are liberals ready to see the giant pit mines needed to provide the ores needed to provide global solar?

>the ores

modern panels are made of silicon bro. sand.

the batteries that make solar useful aren't made of silicon user

nor are they made of what you think batteries are made from.

Why do you think technology in this area is driving forward at breakneck pace? Because we're doing the same things we did before but more? lol. Toyota just debuted a solid-state battery. Batteries are being figured out.

I won't need to use batteries anymore if everything runs on solar panels, duh

I bet you're dumping all your cash into those companies then since you're so sure of it. You'll be a millionaire

Cost
it used to be expensive as shit, and is currently extremely polluting to produce

err, if I could I would, pretty much a no-brainer user. Intelligent people see patterns and know when upheaval is occuring.

That's why he's here shilling, because he has all his money invested in Al Gore's Solar Pyramid Scheme

What is your precious solid state battery made out of? Ceramics and clay and aluminum........

bro, the majority of the work being done on battery technology is being done ot develop new substrates. there is immense promise. this technology hasn't been developed because we have not had need for it in the past, when it would've been much more expensive to figure out, without supercomputers.

>nothing new ever gets invented

okay. go be stupid somewhere else? what are you kids setting yourself up for in life, when you convince yourself that every single thing that happens is some kind of bad conspiracy?

It's time.

How would you even protect a solar farm this big or even larger? No fly zone?

Most people aren't niggers.

That being said, where I grew up they're trying to put them all over the place. Main problem is most of what they'd generate would have to be sent back in to the grid with transmission losses because the existing grid was already pretty well balanced after they put in one or two out in busted former zones where they don't blight the nice landscape.

He'll have 400% of the population working on it

Bullshit...... Batteries will always have limited capacity. Good old fashioned steam wins out over every new space age battery all day, every day.

Yeah that's another thing for nature fags that love this shit you sure do need to get rid of a lot of nature to even use them efficiently...

This is fucked up but true.

If somebody has a better way to get power out of a fusion reactor I am all. Fucking. Ears. Thermovoltaics don't cut it.

Hey I'm all for if somebody wants to drop a panel farm in a bit of abandoned wasteland then let's give it a try and see how it goes.

But that's no bulk generation method. It's neat out it like Utah where they can't run transmission lines everywhere and it just makes sense to have small local solar arrays instead. But otherwise I can't see that it's anything better than trying to pump a little more in to the grid during the day sometimes when people are up and about.

name a photo voltaic cell that does not use silver

>paper pusher for electric utility here

How big are the subsidies it's getting?
Coal is still cheap as can be and works 24 hours a day. How can it possibly be less than coal without huge government assistance?

Yeah that makes sense. These idiots that think we can power the whole planet heck even just the US with solar are delusional

I'm more than ready.

I live in a not-so-sunny part of Canada. Checked what the average solar insolation around hereabouts is; price for solar panels and installation: ~10,000 - 25,000 CAD; would take about 20 years to pay itself off without net metering, subsidies, or anything like that. Approx. kwh cost of ~14 cents (we pay 13 cents right now).

That is almost literally "fucking do it what are you waiting for" tier.

With net metering we would MAKE ~$100 - $300 per month during summer, rather than paying. Subsidies could take 5-10% off the top, too.

Look, let me put it this way: If it's almost viable for me and I'm living in a rainforest up north, it's basically a no-brainer for anyone living south of me. ESPECIALLY because it makes you 100% energy self-sufficient. Americans should be all the fuck over this.

You can get long-term lead acid batteries, or buy shit like tesla's powerall.

I think the lithium-ion powerwall type batteries are going to be a real big thing within a year or three. It's going to make economical sense in some areas to buy one of these batteries, and then purchase your electricity at night, and discharge the battery during the day. Could literally cut your bill by 2/3rds and no need for solar panels.

House batteries are a really neat idea. Some people think that electrical cars should double as house batteries, but I think hybrid cars would be even better because they would triple as house generators that way.

But the danger as always is falling into the the money jew mindset vs. the sane engineer who cares more about practicality and big-picture sense from an environmental perspective or whatever else.

Isn't the guy behind the lithium-ion concept still working on a better storage tech and materials? Some time ago he made some bold claims of efficiency of this new type of battery, but I don't hear shit anymore

Fucking Goodenough. Fucking "popsci futurist" hyping for nothing

What about when snow lands on it? Or dust?

Silver isn't exactly rare though.

Industrial silver is shorted into the ground to keep the game going so they can fake it until they make it. Think of it as a government subsidy.

JPM in particular is a big player on this.