Drug users intentionally overdose, narcan will save them

fox2detroit.com/news/us-and-world-news/271995281-story
>one couple who od'd on heroin at a shopping center because they knew an ambulance with Narcan was just a phone call away from helping them.
>An Ohio sheriff made news last month when he said his deputies would not carry the antidote.
should it be mandatory for first responders to carry narcan? i vote yes. there are defibrillators in ambulances to try to save fatties who have eaten themselves into myocardial infarction, why not save junkies too?

no we should ban emts saving fatties from their heart attacks, you are going the wrong way mate

Wouldn't oding kill the high?

so ban defibs AND narcan? i like the way you think

Only if their white

No give profession help all hard drug users and turn them into productive members of society. Kill all hard drug dealers and pedophiles.

You can be thin and get a heart attack too. Heroin junkies do it 100% to themselves.

>drug users intentionally overdose
Why?

I'm an ex-heroin addict. This is bullshit.
I have od'd several times and being hit with narcan is the most excruciating agonany i've ever endured.
Most people who get hit with narcan (im or iv, not oral) say they would rather have not been revived.
This article is bullshit. Getting hit with natcan fucking sucks.

one of the articles linked in the one in the OP has a video that claims they od because they want to know what it's like to be brought back. that sounds like the plot to a hollywood movie, but i could be persuaded to believe it. people are pretty stupid.

In America they earn money by saving fatties AND junkies. And the cost in the USA is 50 times more than what the UK government pays for the NHS to do the same procedure and use the same drugs. So Americans earn a healthy margin on all those fatties.

i read elsewhere that it causes like instant withdrawal, is that why it sucks so bad?

Yet the savings to society would be immense if we allowed junkies and fatsos to succumb to their vices.

There's a natural level of morphine in the body at all times. There's also proteins(endorphins, enkephelins etc) that functionally act the same way as heroin(which is a form of morphine that basically serves to be more intoxicating).

When you are addicted to heroin, or hell, anything that gives you pleasure -- your receptors and such start to self regulate.

Nalaxone knocks all the heroin off the receptor, and causes the opposite effect. If a normal non addict took it they too would feel pretty bad. It's not been unheard of to be used in enhanced interrogations and the like, to stop the body from regulating it self in its natural way.

I wish I could explain it better, but it requires a few months of study and experience to get what "precipitated withdrawal" is. It's sort of like feeling worse than you have have in your entire life, all while not expecting it.

Off topic: you can literally use nalaxone to synth opioids stronger than heroin. It's actually the reason it wasn't publicly expected for a while and it's over priced. Feds don't want another pseudofed shake and bake thing going down.

not how capitalism works, doughboy

yes, it essentially rips all the opiates out of your receptors- the ones that keep you well and out of withdrawal....- and you then have none of the substance which keeps you functioning left in your system, until you use again

Nah, ER should come late due to "mechanical problems" or they got the "wrong address"

Chasing the dragon.

Druggies will intentionally overdose with a friend and when one of them passes out the other will call the ambulance

thanks for the info

They already do senpai, they already don't treat massively obese people when they suffer from a heart attack.

This. I just got hit with Narcan for a fentanyl OD a few days ago and I almost strangled the nurse (I was taken to hospital)

Media is exaggerating this. It's an epidemic of opiate abuse but no one deliberately uses narcan for fun

I think they should carry it, but rather than having it be taxpayer-funded, druggies should be charged for the Narcan they receive.

Medic fag here. You're not supposed to slam a whole dose of narcan into a pt who is ODing, unless you want to get puked on, spat on and have some sewer junkie swinging at you. Titrate to increase respiratory drive.