Robot warfare larpers spent 2.5M on this pile of garbage

So these guys in California raised millions on kickstarter to build a giant "fighting" robot. This is what they produced. It weighs 12 tonnes and runs on a ~400hp V8.

Look at it. Watch the video; overwhelmingly positive like/dislikes. Don't people realize how vulnerable, impractical, over-priced, and underpowered this thing is?

For reference, ~2.5M USD will get you a T90 (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-90), which could singlehandedly make mincemeat out of dozens of these larper bots.

Why do people delude themselves into thinking this is cool or exciting? Are they just projecting their boyhood fantasies onto this thing because it looks vaguely cool and losing perspective?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-3MxuklTfzk
youtube.com/watch?v=lQrDASSYKmw
youtube.com/watch?v=SkJnQQrS1yY
youtube.com/watch?v=Jd4m7bX9NfM
youtube.com/watch?v=5KDXZWUb3R0
therichest.com/rich-list/the-biggest/top-10-most-expensive-modern-battle-tanks/
mortarinvestments.eu/products/tanks-2/t-72-42#currency=USD
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

That's no Gundam that's for sure.

>Don't people realize how vulnerable, impractical, over-priced, and underpowered this thing is?
You have to start somewhere. People say the same thing about every emerging technology.

Don't you want real-life mechs, user?

better then spending money on something cool than on isreal with tax dollars

Looks like it will tip over if it hits a pot hole.

0/10 could not operate in Detroit, where we need these things.

Gay. We're a hundred years too early to fight commies with our natsoc mobile suits.

bi-pedal robots are basically the most unrealistic thing ever

the problem is they spent their money is all the wrong places. The fact that this thing stands up is stupid as fuck. It's unnecessary and makes the leg portion - especially where it connects to the capsule containing the pilot - extremely vulnerable. Basically one small explosion in that general area is almost certain to disable the robot.

actually, a properly bipedal mech would be much more viable as a real battle robot that this treaded travesty, because of the maneuverability it would offer. It would be the type of thing you deploy as a support vehicle for infantry in close quarter urban combat, not something you'd put toe to toe against main battle tanks.

Yeah, I don't really see a future where mechs outperform exoskeletons. Turns out that trying to copy the designs which nature has honed for billions of years is rather difficult

Post REAL mechs in this thread.
youtube.com/watch?v=-3MxuklTfzk

meanwhile in africa

It's fucking cool. Get that stick out of your ass.

I've said it plenty of times before and I'll say it again. The human form is kind of shit in the realm of nature because we are outran, outclimbed, outdug, outswam, etc., by most everything.

If you want battle mechs, replicate the forms of animals and insects that excel in traversing terrain and hunting prey.

Real life is such a let down.

When are we gonna see power armor?

now that is awesome

Does it fire AIDS and failure at its foes as is the African way?

basically we need robot jaguars with machine guns and robot eagles with machine guns.

hard to disagree with you there.

>engage the gatling gun by smiling

has anime gone too far?

Only if it was 2-3 metres tall. Anything larger and it becomes more trouble than it's worth because of square-cube law and the penetrative abilities of AT weapons.

Still make good anime plot devices though.

So voltron/zoids mechs?

>mysides.jpg

>gasoline-fueled diesel engine

In certain contexts, you're absolutely right. But there are lots of contexts where encountering that kind of ordinance is extremely unlikely and the psychological effect of something that is 5+ meters tall and moves swiftly would be incredible for things like crowd control. For an application like that, it only has to run a little bit faster than a person.

Everyone in California should be killed

Let's see how it performs in its fight against Kuratas, and then make judgements.

A weapon to surpass Metal Gear!

A WEAPON
TO SURPASS
METAL GEAR

Pile of garbage is an underestimate, even 100 year olds tanks will destroy the shit out of it, newer mind about actual modern military tech.

BOSS?!?

It's closer to an RX-75-4 Guntank *^_^*

Thread theme:
youtube.com/watch?v=lQrDASSYKmw

>using 2.5 million to build some shitty robot that barely works
what a bunch of faggots, I would use that money to build a reproduction Panzer IV. fuck, I should start a crowdfund

meanwhile in South Africa *^_^*

Cool story OP, at least they did something they were passionate about and made their dreams come true. What have you done? Complain on a Bhutanese basket weaving imageboard? Stop being a hater, that's what fucking losers do.

YOU FEEL IT TOO, DON'T YOU?!

IT'S FUCKING NOT.

It's a fucking box to sit in on top of fucking treads with two useless hunks of barely mobile metal "arms" attatched to it. 2.5 million fucking dollars spent by imbeciles on something that looks "kewl". You would get the same fucking effect from a metal stature.

It's a fucking frivolity and distraction that Millennials are using in their extended adolescences to never have to face up to reality, see what's wrong with the world, or fucking sort themselves out, and realize that when you're unmarried, childless and smoking pot at 35 there's a fucking problem.

Instead, they fritter away their days working pointless fucking jobs in businesses that make money by tracking the abstract counting of the counting of money, treating their pets like babies, obliging their girlfriend's request for an open relationship, and frittering away their fucking days until they they stop fucking being.

"But hey my dude, at least there's a wicked mech from a 90s cartoon like my CHILDHOOD! Ha ha ha!"

Jesus fucking Christ.

oh fuck, didn't even read the filename

also meanwhile in South Africa

megabot? wtf is a megabot looks more like
mega shit

I have some semi-insider knowledge on this kind of stuff and I expect that the first unmanned robotic machines of war will probably hit the battlefield looking a lot like tanks or armored fighting vehicles like the Bradley. The goal is to make them as autonomous as possible, that means self driving and able to to engage targets without the use of a remote pilot. My company put in a bid for the contract but one of our smaller competitors ended up snagging it.

this user gets it. Look it took them hard work and dedication. that's cool. it's a free market. it's a free country. but with that freedom we can say that it's a useless piece of shit

War has changed...

Are monster trucks practical for any particular reason? Not at all.

Same concept here, different level.

-T. user who is close with Megabots

I'm telling you without a doubt it wouldn't work.

t. Mechanical Engineer with 5 years working with AFV's

Never mind that giant robots are physically impossible with modern engineering and power limitations, "Megabot" is such a giant scam either way. A complete waste of other people's money and for what, a glorified forklift with superfluous nonsense bolted to its shell.

For 10 grand you can just build a killdozer instead

>spend trillions developing mecha
>spend billions manufacturing for military
>field test
>paki with an rpg shoots a joint
>whole thing falls apart
I wish, but its not happening. Its not practical. As much as I hate the meme, exosuits are more likely.

Meanwhile, in South Korea...

First of all I very much doubt that they are serious about this being a weapon. Its just a hobbyist project.

Second, historically every new military machine is considered vulnerable, impractical, over-priced, and underpowered. This was true for armor, siege weapons, firearms, artillery, railroads, steel warships, aircraft carriers, military aviation, armored vehicles, computers, and remote drones and it will also be said about any future innovation. Its just the nature of technology. Its usually very smart people making these assessments too. Franklin Roosevelt himself dismissed naval aviation when he was secretary of the navy, saying that a bomber would never be able to sink a steel warship. He ate those words in 1941.

RIP killdozer. The fact that he didn't kill anyone, yet still managed the best rampage of all time seals this guy in history.

This

>Wtf why isn't some numale company in California as efficient as the military industrial complex which has billions of dollars and decades of RND

all of these are toys, there's no reason to have a pilot inside the mech infact this reduces efficiency because that faggot needs to sleep and shit and piss while the robot should be moving into formation on autopilot.

Call me when we can get a Lancealot or a Gurren MKII

It's dumb, but it's their third and getting better. And the fight will encourage competition and improvements.

I like it, it's kinda high-test

Except that's not a military prototype, it's just a toy a bunch o manchildren think looks cool

It's not made to kill Afghanis, its designed to fight mechs for our amusement in gladiator duels.

It doesnt have to be utilitarian for sports, it can just be cool and fun.

And lets face it, giant robots are ALWAYS fun. ALWAYS. Iron Giant, Gundams, fucking Zoids, ask any young boy if they like giant robots and all of them will say yes. Ask them if they like giant FIGHTING robots and they will have their first boners.

I'd pay $100 for a giant robot fight. Battlebots was great.

Daily reminder that THIS is what white men devote their time and money to instead of having children and saving their race.

Multi fuel engine. They do exist

>people do a neat and silly engineering thing for fun as a hobby
>other people pitch in to make it happen
>autist spergs the fuck out about people spending their money in a way they dislike

>its just a toy
>it will never have any military applications
>its just manchildren playing with toys
tell that to all the dead sandniggers who got killed by toys

>is a self-sustaining self-funding entertainment platform similar to a piece of shit funded by dumbass Californias
No, not in any way.

>Panzer IV
I'd get a StuG III
rotating turrets are overrated

You could have bought a fleet of used dozers for that price.
Not one. But an entire fleet.
Fucking stupid.

>it's not as bad as this so it's not bad at all
yeah maybe not paying some random idiots to try to make a Gundam AND not dumping billions into foreign aid? Maybe I'm just being silly

This isn't even for school or a job or anything. This is some kids garage. Tired of diaramas.

>spending your money however you want is good
>people criticizing your choices is bad
Pick one, shill. You cant have choice without consequence.

>muh billions of years
Kill yourself, evolutionfag

>can't smoke in the cockpit

A mech built with current technology would take more maintenance than a human. That's literally one of the worst reasons to have it drive itself. Target acquisition and shooting are where an automated robot would shine. Navigating its environment would be next in line but that's way more complicated than recognizing targets and calculating firing solutions so the point where they can move better without a pilot is still a while out.

The logical leap from RC plane to Drone is easily demonstrable. We drop bombs from planes. If we attach a camera to an RC plane, we could do the same.

There is no rational outcome like that for this fucking abomination. It's on treads, so that removes the only possible advantage of a mech (increased mobility, but even that would be incredibly difficult to engineer practically). It has two spindly fucking supports to maintain the fantasy that it has legs, that a single explosion would obliterate. Useless arms when a swivel mount would do for a cannon, and an arm of limited utility. And a fucking massive cockpit.

It's a fucking toy for stunted manchildren to distract themselves and pretend the world isn't going to shit.

shit i remember

>bipedal robot
>use treads
I don't know what they went for, I don't even know if "asthetic on top of performance" stands here.
Also, I'm sure if it's legal, you can get your hands on a Honeywell AGT, should be less than a million. Just build the rest of the damn robot around the engine and its pros/cons.

RESPECT
THE
ROBOT
youtube.com/watch?v=SkJnQQrS1yY

I could see spider type robot tanks like Ghost in the Shell being useful in mountainous terrain but the technology isn't there yet. By that time everything will be droned based. Warfare will be fought on very tall mountains with tiny robots. I know that was just a Simpsons joke but warfare is just gonna turn into swarms of flying drones just eating the flesh off of our enemies like locusts.

looks like a cougar

Redneck America's Gundam is best Gundam

>The human form is kind of shit in the realm of nature because we are outran, outclimbed, outdug, outswam, etc., by most everything.
Actually no. Human can do all of it, unlike many of other animals. Many of animals can't climb on trees, human can.
Human swims faster than most of land animals, also most of them can swim only above waterline. And etc

Why are you trying to tell people what they should do with their money? How about you take a helicopter ride, you degenerate commie.

have the specs of killdozer ever been found out?

youtube.com/watch?v=Jd4m7bX9NfM

The only reason that I would go with the Panzer IV is because fewer of them survived the war than STUGs. the syrians wasted all the surplus Panzer IVs.

best movie youtube.com/watch?v=5KDXZWUb3R0

3/8 steel plate, concrete spaced armor, and then another layer of 3/8 steel plate. It wasn't rocket science.
Pretty good for small arms fire, but if he kept going the national guard would have brought anti-tank weaponry to bear.
I really wonder if a 20mm rifle would do the trick though...

What they need to do is bring back Battlebots or Robot Wars with shit like this. Set these fucks out in the desert and arm them with whatever weapons you can cram on the fucking thing. Laser weapons, rockets, M230 Chain Gun, diamond tipped buzzsaw blades powered by a v8.

we trade being able to do everything for being experts at nothing

it's an entry for a competition

therichest.com/rich-list/the-biggest/top-10-most-expensive-modern-battle-tanks/

damn, tanks are cheap -- in comparison with several other modern warfare stuffs. That giant robot compares with a chink tank.

[for under 10m a pop I wouldn't be surprised if the ammunitions on a fully loaded modern tank outpriced itself... mil guys love to overpay...]

All the fags thinking the mech in OP's post is ''innovation'' or absolutely worth anything, go back to where you came from. That's a fucking piece of metal on treads. It's so horribly unpractical. If you have 2,5 million extra, why not try make something truly revolutionary and not something you can dismiss as trash by looking at it for 5 seconds.

Fucking tech-worshippers who can't distinguish garbage from true innovation, and somehow think they are equal in worth. Makes me mad. It was exactly the same with the legendary ''hoverboard'', when idiots couldn't understand that magnets are not new and a scam ''innovation'' does not progress anything.

Modern tanks are way too expensive. Gently used second hand tanks are priced to move.
mortarinvestments.eu/products/tanks-2/t-72-42#currency=USD

a real gravity defying hoverboard would be awesome and innovative to the utmost extent of the term. Paradigm shifting.

do not confuse it with petty scams preying on stupid nerds.

It looks like the center piece was about it walking, but they end up putting threads on it and now it loses all its purpose to exist as anything except a big statue-like pile of accumulated american stupidity.

this is one of the only time lines i support

>robot Eagles with machine guns

'Merica fuck yeah!

Why do all the best rampages happen in Colorado?

d u b s of truth

Isn't this just meant to be a gimmick, like a big animatronic toy, or an entrance into a battle bot contest?

Why are you faggots pretending this is meant to be military hardware?