Enlisted or formerly enlisted burgers, what's the general consensus on the MV-22 Osprey...

Enlisted or formerly enlisted burgers, what's the general consensus on the MV-22 Osprey? The only media attention it ever seems to get is negative, so I've always seen it as an overly complicated death trap.

Other urls found in this thread:

stripes.com/news/is-the-osprey-safe-depends-on-which-stats-are-used-1.181864#.WYeMOtPyvdQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

its a piece of shit

But how can something that looks so cool be shit

Flying Death Trap. Rode in one once, the rotors tilting forward was the most unnatural feeling thing I've felt in my life. The Marines are considering sticking guns and rocket pylons on them for some idiotic reason. But not as bad as they used to be.

Are they much faster than conventional helicopters with the rotors forwards? That's the only case I ever see used for them, but modern helicopters are pretty fast and a whole lot safer

The Osprey is not the same aircraft that was tested decades ago. Engineers have solved many of the problems that gave the aircraft its bad reputation.

Titanium hydraulic lines leading to the nacelles used to rub against wire harnesses. This created holes in the lines that caused fires; in 2000 one such fire contributed to a crash that killed four Marines.

By 2005, the problematic hydraulic lines had been rerouted. They are now easier to access for evaluation and repair.

Rotorcraft that descend too quickly at slow speeds can lose lift if the rotor dips too far into its own downwash. This is called vortex ring stateā€”an Osprey in VRS can lose lift on one side and flip; 19 Marines died in one such accident during the aircraft's development.

Ospreys have audio and visual warnings that alert pilots when VRS conditions start to form. Pilots can tilt the rotors forward to escape, if the aircraft has enough altitude to maneuver.

Ospreys fly into landing zones that are defended by enemy fire (hot LZs). Critics once complained about the craft's lack of armaments.

Ospreys now have 7.62-mm GAU miniguns mounted in their bellies; they are remotely operated by the crew inside the aircraft.

The advantages that the Osprey brings to the battlefield have been displayed during deployment. Not only can V-22s carry larger payloads, but they can also cover more than four times the distance of the Sea Knight. For the Marines and special operators who rely on the Osprey's speed, those are crucial capabilities.

The Osprey's notoriety is caused in part by its stature. The CV-22 is high-visibility, sort of the flagship for the Marines and AFSOC.

It works. It is getting better. I would trust my life with them.

>go on deployment
>work 16hrs/7wk
>barely have the energy to go to the gym between eating and sleeping
>ospreys hover over my sleeping area every night
Its amazing how you can manage to sleep when the pressure waves are smacking you around.

I was a blackhawk mechanic and all i ever heard from osprey pilots and mechanics is that the osprey is a total fucking piece of shit. The maintence/=/flight hour ratio is insane. 3 times what it was for blackhawks.

The great brick of the sky

The range and speed of a CV-22 are phenomenal. I would take those over any other craft to get a job done.

they are the most reliable aircraft operated by the USMC.

Helicopters have accidents the whole time, Osprey just gets more attention.

Very informative, thank you. I kinda figured that a lot of its reputation was due to its reputation as the face of the Marines stationed in Okinawa

THEY use Ospreys as well, they're constantly flying over London in them

No idea why, I've asked some of THEM about it but they can't really tell you much for obvious reasons

back in 2002-2004, it was killing people like crazy. Every few years questions about it's safety pop up in the media, then disappear.

I wouldn't fly in one, ever. No joke, been hearing about how this thing is a death trap since I was in high school during the 2002 and 2003 conflicts in Afghanistan and Iraq. 2 people from my high school died in them, so this news always sticks out to me.

I was in an Osprey squadron in the Corps.
They are badass. Hard to maintain, but fucking badass.
>be any branch other than marin core
>jelly of Osprey core so publish jew shit propaganda about them to make selves feel better

lok, ok faggot. 18c here. fuck marsoc, bunch of grenade throwing hicks. Couldn't raid a village without blowing something up. scrubs.

Very complicated and takes way too much maintenance. The Osprey is the culmination of a bunch of good-idea fairys from the navy and airforce coming up with something that could do everything. Design-wise they're pretty impressive.

desu almost all the military mechanics I know say the shit they work on is a piece of shit. For good reason maybe. There are a few exceptions.

>kike slaves shit talking other kike slaves
Lol "honor" and "muh country"

the SAS don't use ospreys. It's too large for London.

Blue Thunder (the SAS rapid response helicopter for the south east) is pic related.

shooting at brown people is fun user

One crashed in oz yesterday. 3 dead.

Dude, one just crashed in Japan, Japan called for it to be grounded.

>modern helicopters are pretty fast and a whole lot safer
The Osprey is the safest helicopter in the fleet. It's crashes during development were high profile but all helicopters are dangerous by nature.
stripes.com/news/is-the-osprey-safe-depends-on-which-stats-are-used-1.181864#.WYeMOtPyvdQ
Has more info on the recent state of things. Ospreys don't just fall out of the sky any more than other choppers.

Every few weeks I see Ospreys flying around London from the window of my house in Westminster.

No one really has business flying around in an aircraft like that apart from 21/22 blokes, they were probably running trials on it or something, which is retarded because as you said, it's too large for London, it would be great for deploying deep in the country such as remote towns and villages due to it's speed but in a big city? no chance.

Probably the MoD trying to fix what isn't broken

>The Osprey is the safest helicopter in the fleet
That's a lie. One of the main problems with the V-22 is the downdraft created in order to generate enough lift to stay airborne. These makes the aircraft hard to land under certain, landing on an aircraft carrier for example. They also makes it difficult and dangerous to rappel down from the aircraft.

>It's crashes during development were high profile but all helicopters are dangerous by nature.
The V-22 has a very high crash frequency when compared to other helicopters

it does the job of a C-130 and the job of a CH-47. In the spoke and hub logistics world it goes like this. A C-17 or C-5 bring cargo into a major hub, from there it is spoked out on a C-130 to a FOB (forward operating base) if the cargo needs to continue out to a CoP (combat out post) it can be brought in via trucks, if not essential material, or rotary wing if considered more important. If a unit is in the field A C-130 can do an air drop, the helos can also do that. Basically it makes a niche where none is needed. Also it has a distince lack of weaponry, look at a CH 47 it has like 3 50 cal's banging away, this has one 7.62 and the rear cargo door has to be open to use it.
yes its faster than a helicopter, but slower than a C-130 we already have assessets in place to cover the missions this piece of shit might be needed for
I did a sling load under one and rocks the size of softballs were flying around like corn kernals on a hot frying pan, it was unreal.
the air force has them also dummy

If you can't play the hardest video game you have ever played while not having slept for 48 hours while having a gun pointed at you...

You probably can't fly an osprey.

It's a start. The concept is great on paper, but in execution it's been a bear. It's a learning platform for the next gen of tilt rotors or tilt turbines that will come out for sure someday.

bullshit. the supercomputer flies this thing for you.
you just have to be smarter than a few buttons.

They are totally missing an opportunity to use the Osprey as a platform to deploy mounted cavalry into mountainous terrain.

7th Special Operations Squadron from RAF Maidenhall.

US forces supporting special forces in the sand box.

i remember on the show of Michael moore talking about how this aircraft was shit but corruption made possible to put it on service. and that was about 15 years ago.

The chinook is the fastest thing in the sky. Apaches can't keep up with it. The osprey was the result of grown boys wanting a cool looking toy.

>RAF Maidenhall
Mildenhall
You're probably used to typing maiden from all your Ukraine-hate posts

One also just crashed in Australia. During routine exercises.

>Death trap
>Flight shutdown rate of 2.3/100,000hrs

Also, wasn't worth the 30 years and billions of dollars of investment. CH-46 was superior.

Only Marines & other naval fags use it. It seems to get the job done for them, so whatever. Fuck the Marine Cuckorps.

Yeah I realize that. But when you bring up the maintenance hours per flight hour and can compare actual numbers on which is a bigger piece of shit, the Osprey wins biggest piece of shit for rotary wing aircraft.

It's cool and much safer than people make it out to be, but it's an absolute hangar queen. The fleet I work on hovers on average below 40% FMC. Standard airframes are supposed to be kept above 85%. It is an expensive stepping stone to a functional high speed long range VTOL.
Military aircraft crash shit happens. The initial nickname of the F-16 when it came out was lawn dart because its avionics would shit the bed and it would end up nose first in the desert. Crews still refer to UH-60's as crash hawks. For all of it's maintenance woes the CV-22 actually has a better than average crash history. I attribute most of it to how much the crews train in crash avoidance. You need to take into account how much of military statistics are based more on doctrine and not purely on equipment stats.

So out of 39 people who have died in the osprey you went to high school with two of them? What's the chances I look it up and none of the fatalities went to the same high school?

and even that was shit compared soviet/russian gargoo copters

do it faggot

>civilian cum catcher talking shit

GTFOH pole smoker!

Nigga ada can't do everything right all the time.

Humans are still interacting for a reason. The fuckers that fly these things have tremendous skills. There's so much to account for.

I might be speaking from a different time period though.

Iran Crisis is to thank for the Osprey. Helicopters can't travel fast or far enough to get to a location they need to go to. The alternative to the Osprey was MUCH more dangerous. The Osprey is the thing that can be the nice in between of a plane and a helicopter.

The Osprey also fits in well with the Marine's use of VSTOL air frames and CAS aircraft. VSTOL allows Marines to go anywhere anytime.

Its a Marine-thing.They love it.Its like them.Ugly and dangerous.

They're slightly faster than conventional helicopters, but the real benefit is the increased fuel efficiency

Conventional helicopters has a speed cap because of the size of their rotors. This is because the rotor blades starts to produce a considerable amount of drag and noise when they approach the speed of sound, as shockwaves starts emanating. The larger the the rotor, the slower the rotation at which this critical point is reached, as the inner part of the rotor blades travels slower than the outer. You also need to account for the speed of the helicopter, as the rotor blade currently traveling in the same direction as the aircraft will have the aircraft's speed added to the speed of its rotation.

The V-22 has smaller rotors, and also there's two of them, so the force symmetry problem previously mentioned with single rotor helicopters is not as pronounced. Since the rotors are smaller, the wing generate more lift at higher speeds, and the rotors can achieve a higher angle of attack, it is possible to achieve higher speed.

>civilian

Nice try. The Army goes rolling along, bitch.

this is a good point and i recall reading it somewhere. they wanted VTOL troop carriers in part because that C-130 with reverse thrust rockets for short landing, was crazy...

Veteran here. Never had to deal with an Osprey but I had a friend who was mechanic on them and decided not to re-enlist because of it.

He said that they were fucking deathtraps and he was too scared to work on them in fear of doing something wrong. Whenever one of these things crash they desperately scramble to find "someone to blame".

They'll trace the maintainance records and shit and he was terrified that some mishap would happen and his signature would be on the maintainance paperwork and they'd try to nail him for it.

He said they're flying coffins and ashamed that so many good Marines have died on this piece of shit aircraft that nobody wants, nobody likes, and hasn't performed worth a shit of what it was intended for.

Dude loved the Marine Corps and left because of the Osprey. That should tell you something.

>MARSOC blowing up sandnigger things
>bad

What the fuck
Now Im so glad I never went back and joined the Army on that faggy 18x/Green Beret program.
Bunch of pussies.

A buddy of mine was MARSOC. Died in a Blackhawk accident in the Gulf of Mexico a couple of years ago.

I think about him probably 30 seconds out of every day. He was an awesome guy.

I too noticed that the AF has adopted the Osprey in large numbers. The Navy has been spreading rumors of replacing the C-2 with the Osprey.

I was in the middle of submitting my package to join MARSOC and then I got sequestration'd out. Sucks because I really enjoyed the military too.
Thanks alot Obama, the fucking faggot.

Respect to your friend user.

I had white unicorn orders and got sequestererfucked out of them.

ORDERS IN HAND!

fpbp

t. 53fag

MSOT 8231?

A few months ago here in LA I saw them flying over the freeway in early morning traffic, two of them. It was like a non stop car accident, the ground was was rumbling, never experienced anything like that in my life and I have been to airshows.