Would you rather be a Slave in Ancient Rome or in the US South?

Discuss

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OImabGvoQNs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

well being a slave in the american south would imply that i'd have to be a nigger, so i pick rome

rome so i could party every saturnalia

Hypothetical bullshit.
Kys lefty scum

fpbp

Rome
I have good chances of being white. Most Roman slaves were from Europe.

Rome. I could probably buy my freedom at some point and become a moderately respected member of society if I developed a skill while enslaved.
Once a nig always a nig tho.

Give my little boy butt to the Romans.

black slaves in america were well taken care of to ensure the longevity of their owner's investment. they were expensive imports and treated a lot better than their white counterparts

Easily Rome. Conditions were much better.

umm Rome cause there would be a slight chance i could become a freeman and serve in the roman army at least.

Rome because it's Rome. America has never been great.

first post is yet again, the best post

what exactly is better about slave conditions in the ancient world vs. the antebellum south

Slavery and being a servant were barely defined as separate for most of human history. It didn't take strong racial notions and human rights issues until the transatlantic slave trade.

Listen.. I'm not the smartest man in the world. And if I found a smarter man, it only makes sense to put him before myself and serve him. I could be an important piece of a larger empire, even as a roman slave. In serving him I would be serving myself.

It's a forgotten concept really.

like your cherry fuck picked pictures ass muncher.

this.

spbp
youtube.com/watch?v=OImabGvoQNs

>if I found a smarter man, it only makes sense to put him before myself and serve him.
Bro u r gay as fuck

>become a moderately respected member of society if I developed a skill while enslaved.
- It's not as easy as it sounds.

- Even plebeians would look down on you

In many ways the fate of a southern slave was no better or worse than a slave in Rome.
Where racial prejudice might follow you around in the south even if freed, lack of lineage would be a problem in a society like Rome who attached so much important to it.

weren't some slaves in rome forced to be gladiators 'n' shieet?

Despite what the schools were teaching you, community wasn't formed just on the basis of sharing, but also on social hierarchy that was a inherent understanding that some people were better than others.

Yes, sometimes. On the flip side, the citizen elite were the people who actually fought in wars.

lol ur a troll the picture on the left is intentionally misleading it ws way worse for you to be a slave in rome

rome so i could be spartacus

They did have mick slaves in the south user.

A slave in the South would almost be guaranteed to be a nigger, so Rome.

Roman cities were so boring.

Roman slaves could have lives more comfortable than some free men, or have their lifespan measured in weeks of hellish conditions being worked to death in a salt mine. African slaves in the South were probably never treated as well as the best Roman slaves, but also they weren't worked to death in a month or forced to fight to the death for their owners' amusement (for the most part), since they were expensive investments.

So if you feel lucky, Ancient Rome. If not, the South.

Ironically id take my chances and be a nigger. Nigger culture was different. There were many black land and slave owners.
My grandmother told me her father had slaves but trusted them enough not to chain them. They were taught to read fed well and they were not abused. Cant say this was all cases though. She said if one decides to run they dont go after them. Most of a time if a slave is given an opportunity to remain unchained fleeing is more of a deathwish. Thats why most never ran.
Different times back then. Id rather my owner be white than have to gurgle muslim cock.

>it ws way worse for you to be a slave in rome
>ignores the huge list of greek and roman philosophers, historians, poets, etc who are still revered and studied today who were slaves

I can guarantee that no one will be reading the writings of ex-American slaves 2,000 years from now.

Just saying to all those picking Rome, if you managed to run away as a slave in the south, you could easily make a life for yourself in the free territories. Especially in Louisiana where racism was limited and many Blacks were fairly wealthy. Being an escapee in Rome wouldn't really land you anywhere.