Could North Korea trigger an extinction event by nuking the Yellowstone supervolcano? serious question

Could North Korea trigger an extinction event by nuking the Yellowstone supervolcano? serious question.

No, they'd still wipe out the USA though.

>tfw just barely within the secondary ash zone

the crust there is 30km, at the thinnest, to the chamber. No they cannot.

>in Utah
This should be fun.

Can't they just go for an easy target like Hawaii

>tfw dead center of the primary ash zone

But the nuke would be like a knock at the door, and the magma would run to answer it like a fucking moron.

Losing
>Idaho
>Montana
>Wyoming
Likely Losing
>Utah
>Colorado
>Nebraska
>Dakotas

So what's the problem?

I can only hope that the secondary ash destroys the us' wheat and corn the poor people in the US starve and when the global price of food goes up we stop giving aid to all the shitty countries in the world

no
that doesn't work

I seem to remember some russian making this threat. I think there is something to it, though not worldwide extinction

I still think that these graphs showing the destruction radius being that large are over exaggerated...

>Caldera
>Erupting
laughingwhilecrying.png

>Could North Korea trigger an extinction event by nuking the Yellowstone supervolcano?
No.

Yes. Volcanogist here.

A nuclear weapon successfully detonated upon an unstable volcano can trigger a geologic event that could spark an eruption.

If that wasn't scary enough, the eruption would further displace the nuclear fallout and cause radioactive ash fall.

Places where the majority population is white? Please God yes

Also the whole thing might as well be a mud bowl now. There's no where near enough magma for the Caldera to supererupt anytime soon. Yellowstone Caldera eruptions will forever be a meme to modern man.

Volcanologist*

I think it's very plausible given the amount of ash these events have historically unleashed. Obviously that radius wouldn't just blow up, but the sheer amount of ash in the air would kill everything in it.

Kek

cmon take one for the tea- oh wait

when that thing goes, the entire world will be fucked

That's not how it works. I was going to find a clever way to say that's not how any of this works, but I was taken aback by the results.

>googling your meme replies

go home reddit man

How did all that Ash from Eyjafjallajökull work out? What was it, like was a couple of weeks of limited air travel?

just imagine playing fallout 4 with a california mod

>wyoming

what happens there, user? why did your state vote for trump?

>tfw average Sup Forumsack doesnt understand the difference between volcanologist and volcanogist

>mfw Commiefornia remains unscathed

(You)
>go home reddit man
>using Reddit Spacing

Yellowstone's Caldera is the size of Tokyo, it contains a reservoir of magma that could coat the entire planet 7 times over, it could in theory continue to spew magma for over a decade.

How much ash do you think it would pump out over that time?

We need to develop some air purifier

>what happens there, user? why did your state vote for trump?
Wyoming is empty as fuck, 500k white people and thats it. The capitol city of wyoming looks like your average "old town" district in a medium sized state. State has no income tax and is strongly anti government.

Parts of the state can be a little methy but holy fuck is it comfy

Vermont will be closed 1 minute after the eruption.

They exist but you need state department approval to buy them (rly make u think) and as such they are extremely expensive. I've seen them installed in a bunker before and they are fairly impressive.

someone tell Kim that Wyoming is a major US state with a dozens of military bases and a large south Korean community

user Aryan Air Purifier™

Fuck. Intended to quote this fellow:

They'd have to do an underground explosion for it to trigger anything

Unfortunately the capitol city of WY is a military base (Airforce) and a short distance to the east are the active minuteman silos. The entire south east portion of the state is a complete overkill zone as such.

Places where the vast majority of the world's food supply is grown. Looks like nigs are all going to starve.

>not realizing its part a grand plan to destroy a good chuck of conservative states so Trump won't win 2020 election, turning the US into the Californian Mexican Negro Empire

>fallout 4 with a california mod
Instead of ghouls, you'd have faggots going without their AIDS-medication.

>Hey there, smoothskin

>Nuke would be a knock at the door
>Like a fucking moron magma would run to answer

is that mt saint helens?

Yeaup, and Mt. St. Helens eruption was only a tiny zip in comparison to the giant caldera that is Yellow stone.

No.
Even the tsar bomba wouldnt be able to scratch the surface. At best it might be able to pull up 1-2 miles of dirt.
The magma is close to 50 miles deep.

1) yellowstone isn't due for another eruption
2) volcanoes don't follow schedules, it's possible that it'll never erupt again
3) it's one of countless supervolcanoes on the planet, some of which are a greater threat and more active

[spoiler]there's a huge volcano at the north korean border showing signs of activity[/spoiler]