Do you guys consider these generational increments to be accurate...

Do you guys consider these generational increments to be accurate? And why the fuck didn't gen-x'ers accomplish anything? Boomers fucked things up so bad but it seems that gen-x'ers are just aloof do-nothing failures. What gives?

silent: 1925 - 1942 75 - 92
boomer: 1943 - 1964 53 - 74
gen-x: 1965 - 1988 29 - 52
millennial: 1989 - 2001 16 - 28
gen-z: 2002 - 2017 0 - 15

My increments aren't typical, I feel that the generational gaps once we hit gen-x started becoming unusual. For example, most sources will say gen-x is mid 60's to early 80's, I often think that because gen-x is so ineffectual, that actually the generation is a little bit longer, say going out to 1988.

The Millennial generation is brief, actual millennials are born from 1989 - 2001, since really it is just a super concentrated but brief burst of people coming online during the fall of empire. Plus the rapid prominence of the hugely important internet. A 30 year old is not a millennial, despite what traditional generation increments will indicate, is what I'm trying to say

The overall thing I've noticed is kind of paradoxical though. Culture seems to be stagnating but at the same time the generational spans seem to be shortening. I think this ties in to the acceleration of our capabilities in terms of information sharing, especially the internet.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennials#Terminology
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I don't really think the increments are up to you. In, say, 5 years, will you just continue to move the goalposts on who a "Millennial" is? I agree with you about Gen X being kind of an anomaly, I think they are less defined and don't share as much in common with one another as other generations do. I think one explanation for the lack of definition is that baby boomers were the parents of both Gen X and Gen Y (millennials).

How did boomers fuck things up?

>Muh pensions/medicare
Boomers were too young to vote on these things and now they vote against more of this stuff, unlike millenials

>Muh hippie culture
They grew out of it and got jobs and had kids, unlike millenials

according to standard classifications I'd be a millennial. I'm 32 years old, never played pokemon, and don't give a fuck about it. There's very little I or any of my 'age peers' have in common with millennial, regardless of geographical location.
I refuse to be put in the same category with people who take hormones so they can grow tits just to bitch about white males, a demographic they are part of. I don't know, but there had to be something in the water after the fall of the berlin wall. Otherwise this shit is barely explainable.

Of course they aren't up to me, they are a combination of a history of roughly 20 year increments plus popular opinion.

What I'm saying is that gen-x last longer than usual and millennial were shorter than usual. The fact that gen-x is an ineffectual bland anomaly confirms it, in my opinion.

The fact that baby boomers raised both generations is super interesting and true, since gen-x and millenials are children of the boomer generation who were the first to really take longer to have kids. That might be the key to all of this. When you disrupt that natural cycle of having children early in life, you create two dysfunctional, unaligned cultural generations of off-spring.

Another failure of boomers!

Marketinganon says your numbers are off.
Generation is about 16 to 18 years...or time for oldest member to have a kid which us next generation.

Boomers 1946 to 64 (end of war, soldiers home plus 9 months til boom)
Genx 1965 to 82/83
Millenial 1983 to 1999 born before millennium
Genz 2001 to...now.

Gen z cut off is 2012 you retards. Gen Alpha starts 2012 to present.

T. Parent to two gen Alphas

Ridiculous.

Literally just googled it and all of your numbers are wrong. Gen Z started in 1994/5...

>millennial: 1989 - 2001

No. Should be about 1984 (maybe 1982) to 1999. 1999 being the absolute cutoff year due to it being the turn of the Millennium -- get it? Millennial, Millennium. Last generation born prior to the turn of the Millennium, i.e. 2000.

The shills are trying to divide us.
The 90s generation will save us AND everyone born after 1990, even slightly before since they stand with us are gonna be a part of our relief don't let them destroy the only thing Gen Z is gathering around: their generation

I already said my numbers are my opinion, the entire point of this thread is an observable deviation from typical generation lengths.

There is no bonafide authority that dictates generational increments anyway, why don't you check www.wikijewia.org and get back to me with what the real increments are.

GenX is so "ineffectual" as you say because our parents were stoned or absent.
Most of us were latchkey kids from the age of 6 or so.
Got up and went to school on our own, got home, did homework, chores and even ate dinner on our own.
"Do nothing failures" who raised ourselves and either went on to tech boom...or committed suicide.
Fuck off millenial.

1984 is a shit cutoff and a meme. You think 33 year olds have anything in common with your mid 20 something? Some blending on the tails of a generation increment is acceptable, but that is simply foolish.

That's the point, we're juxtaposed with what seems to be a stagnant culture but a shorter generation. Will it continue?

Gen X only goes to 1982. Quit pretending to be gen x.

Im 1999, the way I grew up is different than millennials, too different for me to be one. I remember nothing of 9/11, I never remember a time without grand technology, even when kids started getting phones in my classes, they were smart phones etc etc

Millennials are getting out of college and failing in the workforce and etc. They remember 9/11 most likely in some form, and remember mass usage of flip phones.

Wow congrats you had deadbeat parents and basically nothing to show for it. Granted, the intelligent people of your generation who could see what was coming are probably laughing a lot, but still, you didn't break anything you just didn't fix it either.

Fair. That's what I'm getting at. Gen-X was elongated because it was the run-up to a massive cultural shift in terms of information sharing, but at the same time people like me in their late 20's likely sense that since gen-x ended the generational waves of people are getting shorter.

Gen X
>actually putting people my age in with people almost as old as my parents

Why don't you smoke a cigarette behind the dumpsters in the school parking lot to calm down about it?

>why the fuck didn't gen-x'ers accomplish anything?
>he says as he's typing on the internet that Xers built and using hardward designed by Xers on OSes built largely by Xers.
fuck off, you uneducated nigger.
also, the smallest generation by a long shot.

You deserve credit for the internet, good point.

What in your opinion is the gen length for x'ers?

>What in your opinion is the gen length for x'ers?

I'll give you mine. If you have no memory of Reagan being president, you are not a gen X.

The 30-40-some faggots you claim didn't accomplish anything is actually what helped improve the Internet and other tech. Silent and the Boomers laid the foundations, while the Gen-Xers improved upon them to make it easier for the Millentards. That was a mistake. Easy times breed weak men. If shit was so hard, the Millennials would have less energy and time to protest and be degenerate. But that's okay. The Gen-Zers are doing well, even if just to spite the Millenshits that came before them.
>t. late boomer, early Gen-Xer

I was born in 1989 and I hate the term "Millennial".

To me it is the N Word to my generation.

I prefer the term Generation Y.

Most of my culture is based on what happend in the 90s and earlier.

We didn't have to go behind the dumpsters unless we were gonna kick some fag's ass.
We did our "smokin' in the boys room"

A GenXer will get that.

Oh wow some 50 something faggot trying to ride the coat tails of and take credit for the accomplishments of others.

You should scratch the early gen-x'er crap and stick with boomer, if you had any capability for honest self-reflection which we know boomers don't.

Yeah...

I smoked a cig in a bathroom stall after lunch every day senior year..

t. class of 1990

>Oh wow some 50 something faggot trying to ride the coat tails of and take credit for the accomplishments of others.
Go keep telling yourself that, Millennial. You know you haven't done and will not do shit in your life. We should've had you all aborted. You're failures as human beings. But don't worry, post-birth abortion is coming.
>Day of the Rope

Roe v. Wade, 1973
GenX was shoah'ed

1981 millennial here

I think that you have a solid 10 years for a pure generation then a few years on either side for a transitional period where a generation would be exposed to a mixture of their media, ideas, and social norms, and the following generation's. There's a book, You are what you were at 10 or something like that. 10 years old is an important age, when you firmly establish your identity.

For your question.
Boomers were children of the good times, they rode on the coattails of the generations ahead of them who fought wars and clawed out of the great depression. They took advantage of everything being handed to them on a silver platter and gave nothing back outside of those who got tricked into Vietnam, but they were treated as garbage when they came home. Gen Xers had the advantage of being able to buy into the boomer dream as they came of age before the worst of the boomer curse took hold, rampant inflation of housing prices, mass outsourcing, the destruction of western society. The millennials are a dichotomy. Half bought into the cancer that the boomers created, the other half identify more with the Xers and what they consider the pinnacle of American life. But modern work culture directly contradicts the values they maintain. Corporate loyalty is long forgotten, and job hopping is encouraged or necessary for advancement. The (((Media))) would have you believe this is a millennial thing. But the millennials had a choice, either buy in and become part of the cancer or reject the cancer. This new corporate environment is an invention of the boomers, maintained by the Xers who bought in to the worst of what the boomers created.

This is great stuff.

Is this the book you're referencing? "What You Are Is Where You Were When... AGAIN!"

so would 9/11 be the defining trait for gen x to millennials then?

>>Generation X didnt do anything
Eazy E Ice Cube Dr. Dre Ol' Dirty Bastard Lloyd Banks Ja Rule KoЯn Methods of Mayhem Deftones Ren et Stimpy Invader Zim...

I think so.

9/11 is a red herring for most millennials. The clusterfuck of Iraq was much more defining. Everything about Iraq reinforced views on the incompetence and greed of the government and gave credence to the idea that 9/11 was either an inside job, or feigned ignorance like the idea that FDR allowed pearl harbor to happen so he could bring America into the war. Everything that followed from Iraq was pretty much just a giant "I told you so" and something that even middle school students with a passing interest in what happened after we fucked around elsewhere saw coming a mile off. The financial meltdown of 08 was more defining to gen Z, for millennials it was just another "I told you so" moment. 9/11 itself was less defining on a generational basis and more defining on a belief basis. I won't use the term sheeple because it's cancer, but the people who are asleep and believe we are a country without sin, a country completely infallible, were the most defined by 9/11. And (((They))) counted on that. It's not just a matter of those who forget history are doomed to repeat it, it's when you're blind to your faults you're blind to everything. The whole campaign trying to discredit millennials isn't just the latest "those darn kids" it's an actual concerted effort to discredit this generation because they know there's a good number of us that can see, and they want to keep us off balance so we can't act and actually fix the problems. And given half of us bought into the bullshit we don't have the numbers to actually do anything, so we're waiting and hoping Gen Z will be able to give us that push, and that's also why they're pushing genderfluidity, to neutralize gen z. It's all one big game, if there's a generation after Z, if we make it that long, they'll concoct some other scheme to neutralize that generation too.

Your insights are really great, you summarize the points really well, better than I can and people tell me I'm good at that.

How old are you, if you don't mind me asking?

What are your general predictions for the next couple years in terms of culture or foreign policy developments? This is deliberately vague, so write whatever is on your mind.

Thanks

Gen X was the smallest Generation AND lowest repopulating Generation in modern history.

They're basically a non entity.

Majority of U.S. debt is servicing gibs for Boomers that Gen X, Millenials and Greatest Fags mostly didn't/won't receive.

Common belief is that Millenial helicopter parenting and their sense of entitlement stems from Boomers guilt over the neglect shown to Gen X.

Basically overcompensating for fucking up the first kid.

Technically were Gen X. I think they cut it off at 82.

>OP is a special snowflake with the ability to revise history and culture at will
wew lad

>I am a special snowflake

>I am Gen Z Snowflak
>Hear me roar

>I am a very special Millenial Snowflake
>My upbringing while the exact same as everyone around me was totally different hence my very unique Snowflake status

Lol shut up fag

>millennials
gen y you fucking potato

no fuck you, dont lump me in with these faggot millennials
fuck

I'm firmly a millennial by the classic definition but I grew up on a lot of gen X media. I hold things like loyalty, but not blind loyalty, and merit highly.

I wasn't highly religious growing up but something feels off, like there's some master plan coming to a head soon, whether the Revalation sign is actually the sign or not I don't know, but something just feels like it's going to happen. I think NK is a red herring, everyone's as tired of them as we are and we have bargaining chips to get China to help us remove them to avoid collateral damage. The real thing to watch for is as always in the middle east. There are forces at work there. I won't go into the whole revelation thing but some want Israel destroyed because they believe if it doesn't exist then the prophecy can't come true and the Messiah can't return. But they don't consider that the very act might be the trigger. Likewise other forces want Isreal to expand for various reasons. At any rate though, if WW3 happens, it's more than likely going to be with Israel at the center and will be an Islamic war against the west. There's a reason the Islamification of the west is being pushed as hard as it is, it's not necessarily to totally turn the west into a caliphate, but to create a tenuous situation that certain countries don't feel they can enter the war. NATO will possibly fracture, Visegrad will potentially have to stand alone.

>Gen X until 1988
KEK

I unserstand this as the breakdown of the intergenerational social contract

What is this retardation

Strauss and Howe liked the idea that millenials began in 1982 and were therefore the first graduating class of the new millenium

Wow, saved

We grew up in the last years of classic America. We are what the USA could have been until the borders flooded and Neocons trashed everything. We are just normal boring went to college got drunk played football. We figured Dad had a job the white man had the world by the balls listened to poison and nirvana plus we are small in numbers thanks to the pill and birth control.

This generation shit is retarded.It describes with brand of MK kikery your peers recieved

*what

gen x gave the world the fucken internet, what else do you want

>gen x gave the world the fucken internet
"Vinton Gray Cerf, (; born June 23, 1943) is an American Internet pioneer, who is recognized as one of "the fathers of the Internet",
>born June 23, 1943

This.
And somewhat the first GenXer who had kids really young, determined that their kids would actually have parents but went overboard.

your generations are completely ass backwards

millennials are defined as people who came to young adulthood around the year 2000. gen Zs are in college now, ranging from 13-19

kys with this stupid bullshit

arpanet =/= internet moron, you must be a millenial believing all those stories that the internet is the creation of the army and shit

>Jewgle says you are wrong

These generation names seem like they exist for marketing/advertising purposes

Ah one of the mexican intellectuals I've been hearing about

My gender pronoun is Beetlejuice

I'm 21 and I only sort of feel like a millennial, people born in the 80s had a much different experience then me.

Yeah dude totally dont fuck (instead of saying fuck) anybody that plays pokamons or pays into that sorry shit. Total ripoff of Ghostbuster ghosts...faggety copyin-ass chinks

Correct, they do, it's not real science, generational demographics are for just that.

>17 years
>21 years
>23 years
>12 years
>15 years and growing!

Some faggot doesn't want to be called a Millennial.

Eurofag thinks he knows more about American culture than Americans do. News at 11.

I was 14 when Van Halen 1984 came out... sigh... wish y'all even knew that time

i thought millennial was 1980-2001

Yeah people born in the mid to late 80s are like the classic millennials so idk what op is on about

Gen X founded Google, Yahoo, etc.

I think it's also due to the boomers tending towards fewer children. Unlike their 7 sibling households, they only had a few kids and so felt like they needed to guide them more. This turned into helicopter parenting and as a result robbed the victims of crucial developmental experiences stemming from learning to stand on your own, take care of your own things, and relying on yourself and friends. This created the environment for facebook to turn "friend" from someone you could actually depend on to a number. And when you never have the freedom growing up to establish your own identity you fall onto one of two extremes. Never establishing an identity, or placing absolute importance on your identity. The latter is extremely vocal, the snowflake generation. The former are the lost people who wander and never settle on life goals.

As a victim of helicopter parenting I often envy the latchkey gen xers for their freedom growing up to learn to be self sufficient. And it's sad to see that with the gender fluidity movement we're seeing hyper helicopter parenting. Parents not only managing their kids lives, but forcing their flawed views on a mind in a crucial developmental stage. In 15-20 years we're going to see a generation even more broken than what we already have.

>In 15-20 years we're going to see a generation even more broken than what we already have.
At one point this ends, though, and these broken people end up not being helicopter parents. Then everything goes back to normal.

For a few generations.

Silents: '27-45
Boomers: '46-64
Gen X: '65-80
Millenials: '81-97
Gen Z: '98-?

80-82 is sort of a fuzzy area between gen x and millenials, as 95-98 is for millenials/gen z. I have a hard time considering anyone not old enough to remember 9/11 or a young child during the recession and the obama years to be a millenial.

I'm born 1989 (28 years old) and I grew up with Pokemon, I remember dial-up, before and after 9/11, etc.. You really think you being 4 or 5 when I was born makes our overall experiences so vastly different? If you had two children, one 5 years old and one just born, would you consider them to be part of different generations? Of course not. Like it or not, you're Gen Y and so am I. That fact alone should challenge your biases about what a 'millennial' is.

I'd make a very simple test for millennials.
Do you remember hanging chads?

You 30 something millenials are whack. All of you guys are stuck in the early 2000's it's fucking embarrassing to watch you guys out in public. I can appreciate 50 cent as an artist but you guys still bump that shit.

You have a good point. I'm '96 and remember 9/11 and had a flip phone in my middle school days along with my peers. A few years of age can make a difference in such a fast changing world.

I love baby boomer hate threads now

As in born in 96'?

Dude you were a baby when that shit happened. No way you remember it or it's significance.

Don't forget Nirvana, my nigger.

nope, I'm a millennial

>the media were first identifying their prospective link to the new millennium as the high school graduating class of 2000.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennials#Terminology

and most the demographers set the cutoff at 1980 or 1981, see some before, some after, but I graduated H.S. in 2000, and I'm definitely a millennial. gen x is foreign to me

I remember it pretty clearly actually. As for its significance you're right, but i dont think anyone under the age of 11 or 12 at the time could really grasp its significance. that's more the older millenials who were adolescents at the time as opposed to being children.

Baby Boomers were alright but left a few problems which should have been fixed by the newer gens, but alas they were too retarded to do. Genxers were the original rebellious faggots who gave us the cancerous and degeneracy we have today, with Millennials gladly sucking on that dick while texting.

t. Gen Z

If you were born in 96 you were 5 when that shit happened. I was 10. I watched it on tv in 5th grade after the teachers were told not to turn the tvs on.
I knew about the WTC because my moms cousin worked in one of them. He was late to work. Even having 5 years on you I still didn't fully understand the significance. Not until Iraq 2.0 kicked off and my sisters Godfather got hit by an IED.

I understand you are trying to relate. But you don't remember that shit man.

That's funny since I was born in late '97 and don't remember 9/11 at all

I pretty sure I am a millennial unless they changed the cutoff again, but the fact my dad was obsessed with computers and ensured I had my own mac to mess around with by the time I was 5 probably throws things off for me

OFCOURSE
NIRVANA

I still bump Ja Rule actually like his hard stuff not his r n b never dat

Iraq was the first political news I remember clearly; In hindsight, hearing endless news reports in the background of American troop's dying is probably why I grew to hate neocons.

My Dad was a Gen X: The biggest issue I have with them is they always were like "hahaha everything is fucked XD nothing matters" which pissed me off because if there is a problem nihilism isn't the answer.

Nothing wrong with listening to old music, I can say for sure it's a hell of a lot better than today's shit, desu.

>inb4 le wron generaton meme

Pokemons were a ripoff of Ghostbuster ghosts because the asians copy everything and dont have any ideas of their own ok?

Millennials are anyone who had a childhood in the 2000s

So its down to like 1984

35 here

I listen to new music mostly

33 yr old fag here ask me anything

Generations are defined by Pluto in certain sign.
leo-boomers, virgo-hippies, libra -x, scorpio-millenials