What causes people to believe in atheism rather than Christianity...

What causes people to believe in atheism rather than Christianity? It's not like atheists can prove their theories about the big bang or evolution. they just believe it because some liberal science professor told them to

>believe in atheism
Atheism isn't belief, it's lack thereof.

They look at the world and see the struggle all peoples go thru and they just see abject nothingness in its design. Religious people see that struggle and understand there is a message inherent in its design, and that we as humans are capable of understanding it on some degree and that that understanding (to whatever degree it manifests itself as) is a worthwhile endevour to pursue. And religion is born. Christianity is just the one to focus on the suffering as a mode of enlightenment in the west.

Atheism is the assertion of the lack of belief, not the lack itself. Thats agnostic. An assertion without concrete evidence to support it is a belief.

>Thats agnostic
No. Agnostic/gnostic concerns knowledge, atheism/theism concern belief.

Agnostic is a qualifying term that means absolutely nothing on it's own. Anyone who claims they are "agnostic" is still either an atheist or a theist because they believe one more than the other, they're just too much of a coward to tell you which it is. Nobody honestly thinks that a deity or absence of one are equally likely scenarios.

Because they've been indoctrinated through ((education)) and ((science)) their whole lives and refuse to wake up from the conditioning

The notion that atheism is a lack of faith is just folly. Atheists usually have a lot of faith in men to explain to them the origins of anything. They just choose to put their faith in humans instead of a creator.

...I think that

False dichotomy. We're not actually locked into the choice of nothing vs a wizard did it.

Let alone a specific wizard.

You've incorporated Christianity into your identity and become emotionally threatened when you feel that it is challenged, and you wish to increase your status by lowering others in a way that you perceive as acceptable to your peergroup.

You are a living joke to anybody who has an earnest interest in this topic, Christian, Atheist, or otherwise.

The big bang theory is not a prerequisite for atheism, or vice versa. It's not an all-or-nothing thing.

I believe the big bang theory because the evidence presented that supports it is compelling, but I am open to other interpretations.

The simplest piece of evidence to explain is that when you look at background radiation not from any visible star, it goes toward a general equilibrium noise in all directions. This implies there was some heat source that surrounded us long ago.

Combine that with evidence that the universe is expanding over time, and you have the basic theory that "once, everything was closer together, then it got really hot, then everything got farther apart".

Yes, this represents a certain amount of faith in that evidence, but the amount of risk I bear by listening to it is virtually null. The cost of changing my view if it is shown to be incorrect later is virtually nothing. Can you say the same for your religion? Can you even acknowledge the possibility you are wrong?

>Nobody honestly thinks that a diety or the absence of one are equally likely scenarios.
I do. They are exactly as equal as the other as being possible. We have zero evidence of either scenario so must hold the possibility of each with the other. Its a schrodinger's cat sort of thing. The moment you start to work within a given religion's "rules" as to how their god works, you aren't looking at the scenario equally and have labeled yourself one or the other.

>They just choose to put their faith in humans instead of a creator.
So it's a lack of belief in theism, as heavily implied by the term. Thanks for clarifying my point.

People can and do have the capacity to put god-like reverence into mankind, while still maintaining they are just men with folly. I look at man and see the depth to which we can be evil, but generally aren't as a normal mode, and then conversely look at all the heights we can bring ourselves to and marvel at it just as equally as at the evil.

imagine a puddle waking up one morning and thinking, 'This is an interesting world I find myself in, an interesting hole I find myself in, fits me rather neatly, doesn't it? In fact, it fits me staggeringly well, must have been made to have me in it!' This is such a powerful idea that as the sun rises in the sky and the air heats up and as, gradually, the puddle gets smaller and smaller, it's still frantically hanging on to the notion that everything's going to be all right, because this World was meant to have him in it, was built to have him in it; so the moment he disappears catches him rather by surprise. I think this may be something we need to be on the watch out for.

>I do.
If I give you a theory that exists outside all known laws of the universe and not only provide zero evidence to support it, but in fact construct the theory in such a way that evidence is conveniently impossible to obtain, and then another theory which, though unproven, has observable evidence leading to it's reasonable conclusion and doesn't break the rules of the only reality you have ever known, you are not going to consider those theories of equal merit unless you're mentally ill.

Anonymous (ID: jABcmEL/) 08/11/17(Fri)05:46:15 No.136905655▶
(OP)
Because they've been indoctrinated through ((education)) and ((science)) their whole lives and refuse to wake up from the conditioning

-.- The same could be said about you religion nutjobs. Brainwashed from birth to believe in some old book written by humans, believing in some god that existed forever. Yea mkay.

>It's not like atheists can prove their theories about the big bang or evolution

Stop lying.

Wasn't it a priest who came up with the big bang theory?

No because puddles aren't sentient and mankind doesn't fit perfectly into our world.

Lemme get this straight:
>theory outside laws of universe = God exists
>unproven theory with observable evidence = God doesn't exist
Did I get that right?
Okay, assuming I did, I don't see any of your evidence that a god doesn't exist. I conversely don't see any evidence a god does exist. They are held equally as a possibility. Reality itself, like your theory breaking laws of the universe is set up in such a way we can never know one way or the other.

it was just an excerpt on "intelligent design" and finely tuned universes

Don't get me wrong, I think there is "design" to reality, I just don't think its intelligent. The biggest folly of religion is the attempt to personify god (and still hold that it is omni-anything). People underestimate the amount of time reality has been a thing and the space in which it has had to be a thing. an imaginary infinite amount of possibility has arisen, some work, some don't.

I've got an insano interpretation of good deed/bad deed that is my own litmus on what and why an act is either good or bad. it applies on a micro and macro scale. I still don't worry about if there is or isn't a god.

Christianism and other religion are just outdated way of life. Atheism or agnostism, is different. We live on a rock suspended in a sun beam, going fast as fuck scientist knows. But just keep in mind that we are just 3dimension being. And there are more thing that we cant comprenhend. Just one thing. The universe that we live in is in what? I think religion cant answerr that and science too. But we should believe in something superior. Like some kinD of force. Or call it wathever you like

fuck you christcucks are dumb. you dont understand atheism, faggot. its not a belief or system or beliefs. damn, man.

Christianism and other religion are just outdated way of life. Atheism or agnostism, is different. We live on a rock suspended in a sun beam, going fast as fuck scientist knows. But just keep in mind that we are just 3dimension being. And there are more thing that we cant comprenhend. Just one thing. The universe that we live in is in what? I think religion cant answerr that and science too. But we should believe in something superior. Like some kinD of force. Or call it wathever you like

Then die in ignorance. If you only think like a earthlin the you are doomed to live your tasteless life over and over

>They are held equally as a possibility.

Incorrect, good sir. They are not equal, because you cannot prove a negative and the onus of proof belongs to the person making the claim. If God doesnt exist, you can never prove it. No one can prove what doesnt exist. As far as the claim he exists, not being able to disprove doesnt mean he exists. Example: Prove leprechauns dont exist. If you are saying god exists you must prove it, but if youre saying he doesnt you dont have to prove it, because you couldn't even if it was true.

I prefer terms like Logos and Tao.

P.S. Is Macron really like Jupiter?

hahaha prove it.

Shall we discuss the number of things you assumed as a matter of faith today on a daily basis?

That's all good and dandy to say that you only believe in that which you can empirically observe, but there is no atheist alive who actually lives that out in their daily lifestyle.

Hey did not feel like making a new thread for this question. Been becoming interested in bible stories and how their interpretations that can be realistically applied to everyday contexts. Not interested in worshipping God or Jesus. So is their a sect/church that focuses more on that?

*everyday contemporary contexts

what a childish view of humanity
you need to watch less cartoons and read a book
any book really, even the bible

In the end Christianity is a religion of faith and faith means to believe without evidence. That is it's cornerstone. That is what keeps it alive after every single one of the stupid arguments attempting to prove God are shown to be weak or outright wrong. In the end people will still believe because they believe in believing.

But if your position is not already "i will believe no matter what." If your mindset is "i try to only believe in true things and I care about the evidence that goes into proving whether or not something is true." then you are way more likely to not end up having a positive belief in God. Because you'll search the historical record and find it wanting. And you'll see just how poor the arguments for a God are, and you'll see how those arguments are even weaker when trying to assert and explicitly christian God.

And in the end you take a reasonable course of action. At a trial you don't declare someone either "Guilty" or "Innocent". You say "Guilty" or "Not Guilty" because you don't strictly ever know if someone is actually innocent. They might be guilty but just really good at hiding it. Likewise people say God is "Not Guilty of Existing" instead of "Does not Exist." It might be that God exists but that there is simply no evidence for him. That's all Atheism is. It's declaring God Not Guilty of Existing.

Everything beyond that is extraneous. There are correlations but these do not touch the strict core of what Atheism actually is. It's a very narrow topic really.