Was this dress "meme" a postmodernist psyop to push people towards believing that everything is subjective or relative...

Was this dress "meme" a postmodernist psyop to push people towards believing that everything is subjective or relative and there's no such thing as objective truth?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asch_conformity_experiments
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I figured it was a psyop of some sort.

too obscure to be planned but the media's interest/coverage definately was

To this day I think the people saying they see white/gold are bullshitting.

No it was to cover up Jimmy saville at BBC

Look up the dates

It was definitely some sort of psyop. It was such an odd thing - pretty shitty thing to begin with, didn't grow organically but was immediately and simultaneously pushed by media outlets, and had this weird vibe about it that didn't seem right.

What the purpose was, I have no doubt. It went beyond making people doubt their own perception of reality.

you will not replace us-tier.

Same, it was always obviously black and blue. No ambiguity to it at all.

Which one do you think was shown? Cause I clearly remember the gold white one being pushed around.

Cor-blimey

Oh jeez, I remember this because i'm an /ic/ regular.

Look, the reason it fucked with people's heads is because of Local Color VS Light Source.

The "Local" or "true" color of the dress is blue and black, which means without any external light source those are the colors that get bounced onto your retina.

However, if you have an overpowering light source that is on the visible color spectrum the (colored) light rays will reflect onto your retina and cause you to perceive everything with that particular hue.

Turn on a bright purple UV lamp and wear a colored shirt and take a picture.

quickly drew this, hope it helps a little.

you got played.

thanks reddit

/ic/ is deviantart tier, probably rubs off on a person after a while, and sorry for le reddit spacing.

>reddit spacing.

you mean usenet spacing.

I saw white and gold until user told me it was blue and black. Even after all this time I can't un-see blue and black. White and gold is gone forever.

Internet Explorer 4 was the last decent version, I miss people using usenet.

It was always black and blue, anybody who said otherwise was fucking with you.

the fuck

SOME PEOPLE SEE THE BEST THING EVER

OTHER PEOPLE SEE LITERALLY HITLER.

WHO IS RIGHT?

>if you were really devilish you could unironically meme this and then turn it around and use it as an stagnant evolution based argument

I'm still so confused how people don't understand basic principals of photography. This isn't even some sort of mystery, it's very clear what's going on here.

Squares A and B are the same colour

Applying an additive / subtractive filter can turn any color into any other color. What's the point?

No, it was a psyop to see is people could be fooled into thinking they were talking about the same thing even though there were more than one photos. Did you ever have the experience of "changing your mind" because you later saw the photo and it just looked different? It wasn't your mind, or a perception trick. This is the way they got people to use the word "marriage" to refer both to marriage and homosexual unions, or "love" to refer both to love and to gay sex. We just want to be married without being discriminated against because of who we love, they said. As if we meant the same thing by those words.

It's a normie meme. Jesus Christ you retards make mountains out of molehills.

>colour is relative
>replace a few letters
>cultural relativism

yeah fuck off CIA

SOME PEOPLE SEE XI JINPING

SOME PEOPLE SEE WINNIE-THE POOH.

WHO IS RIGHT?

It was basically an Asch experiment

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asch_conformity_experiments

Right: blue and black
Left: blue and black with shitty lighting

Do some people just have retarded eyes or something?

The point is that some people's brains interpreted the picture as a picture of black-blue dress in a direct light and others' as a white-gold dress in a shadow.

It was a test to see the lighting conditions of computer users in different forums etc. People who posted blue and black use internet during the day in windowed houses or in well-lit rooms while people posting at night or in windowless rooms/bunkers post white and gold. In other words if you saw white and gold and posted in daytime hours accoring to your isp they have your name.

This

no it was a shitty distraction that lasted half a cycle

CANADIAN PEOPLE SEE A WOMAN

OTHERS CAN'T SEE ANYTHING BECAUSE THE IMAGE IS TOO SMALL

WHO IS RIGHT?

It was just a meme that was popular with media types. There are more subtle ones, like the way all their headlines suddenly took the form of "why _______ is _____". The media has its own culture, like any community, so of course it will have flash memes as well.

>in a shadow
>while the brightness of the dress and everything around it was clearly cranked way way up

I think it was an op to sell dresses

same here. I saw W+G, couldn't NOT see it. said "wait a second", walked away for 5 min, imagined black and blue as best as i could, and came back. I've never been able to see W+G again, and it terrifies me how our eyes and brains work

>The "Local" or "true" color of the dress is blue and black, which means without any external light source those are the colors that get bounced onto your retina.
Wrong. Without any external light source you see nothing.

If it was it failed horribly, because in the end scientists managed to show that there was an objective way to look at it, and that the deviation was demonstrably wrong.

I saw white/gold, but as everyone was pointing out b&b I changes the lighting position and I saw that, and again w/g, but it was harder to convince my brain with it. Ultimately I could almost see both sides by just moving around from darker room to lighter

which is precisely why it's been determined that people seeing white+gold are worse at contextualizing the colors in the image than those seeing black and blue

you're a couple years behind

listen you greasy taco monkey, he's saying that if the only light being bounced into your yellowed eyes was the light bouncing off the dress, it'd be blue and black. not "if every light in the universe didn't exist"

The actual colors of the image are gold and gray.

Maybe but we can never know for sure

I thought the same of people saying it was black/blue (they were the minority though). Weird shit.

>without any external light source
>any
>external light source
>any
Wrong. Enough of your kike lies leaf.

It was never a different color, it was the same shit with different lighting. The one on te left is clearly altered and I can't understand how retards never understood that.

Saw the dress as blue/black and it switched to white/gold on the second look. This was before I knew what the whole meme was about, so any kind of placebo effect is ruled out in my mind. It has a lot to do with age and certain cones in your eye being "worn out". Blue/black fags are underage b&.

I saw two different colour schemes from the same photograph, so it couldn't have been altered.

Both

Watch the Norm MacDonald live episode with Stephen Merchant, funniest thing I've seen in a loooong time. Norm makes Merchant soooo uncomfortable talking about Saville.

Wow, did you hear that from Vsauce? Or was it the I fucking love science Facebook page? You fucking retard.

I see two dresses, left is white/gold and have only seen the left version before. And always only seen that as such.

Right is blue/black.

I'm redpilled as fuck- use RO water after mineralization, use veggies, no GMO, no talking to women who step out of home

It's funny that no one realizes 2 fucking pictures were being circulated.

user, memes aside I swear to God I see white and gold

>OPTICAL ILLUSIONS ARE NOW PSYOPS TO TURN YOUR CHILDREN GAY
WEW

the dress itself is defined as the non-external light source, the one in focus. so reread my post and realize just how perfectly representative you are of mexican "intellectuals" everywhere

2 separate images were distributed. This came at the same time major stories regarding child abuse began to hit the media outlets specifically Savile. While the meme was to work in two fold, distraction and perception. If you can distract the public while at the same time making them question reality through manipulation you have successfully shaped perception through simple psychological (((tricks))).

Not a psy-op. It was a social experiment. I suspect the experimenters came to the wrong conclusion, but I don't know for sure. I know neither precisely what they concluded, nor that my own interpretation of the data is correct.

Objective was covering up crimes of pedo Jimmy Savile

Congrats, your brain understands the effect of exposure. The dress was in the shade in comparison to the VERY bright background, so it appeared darker than it actually was.

>2 separate images were distributed.

and yet the group of 15 or so people i was with was almost evenly divided despite looking at the same picture on the same screen
really makes you think

Or maybe it was this
Also, I just realized I wrote a stupid
If it was an experiment, that's a kind of psy-op

only basement dwellers see it as black and blue initially.

So did Jews make the photograph change colour before my eyes? I said that as it offered the best explanation based on my experience with the pictureTry offering another explanation then, instead of being a whiny leaf faggot.

Whenever these manufactures trends go viral, something big is going off. They used to do this on tv back in the day, it's moved to social media because that's what people use now.

It was the same picture everywhere but the contrast/lighting was altered in different ways on a lot of articles, making it easier or harder to see the real colors, and people reposted several versions.

It wasn't a fake since a lot of people were able to see white/gold and black/blue in the same picture, that was the case for me.

There were two pictures circulating at the time

I'm a basement dweller and I always saw it as white and gold, because that's what makes sense logically. Take any photo with a really bright background and the subject in front will go darker, because the camera has to adjust for it. It's basic photography.

Basically this. Plebs who never go outside and light their homes with cucked soft-white lighting have optic nerves ill-adjusted to dealing with daylight. Whereas I only light my home with ubermacht daylight bulbs, and enjoy outdoor activities. I saw white and gold.

its just people being color blind at different levels. saying something is white means that it has no color. so even if its a slightly pinch of blue in there , you should say blue. if you dont see any blue at all, then you have trouble seeing blue, common colorblindness stuff

There's no way A and B are the same shade

From a histogram of the controversial version of the image, it's obvious that the IMAGE itself does not show a Blue dress. Even if the original object photographed was Blue, whatever shitty auto-adjust effects the camera had, due to external lighting, caused the resulting image file to actually be Gold.

Hence, "what color is the dress" becomes a trick question, a prank almost, since it asks you to infer the color of the dress (Blue) from the color of the image (Gold).

People who answer "Blue" make (subconcious) assumptions about the nature of the environment, and the object they see in their mind's eye indeed appears blue. People who answer "Gold" see the image for what it is, without making assumptions about the environment.

This entire meme, assuming it wasn't shopped, highlights the difference between people who people who jump to conclusions about data, vs people who take the data for what it is, until they see further evidence (e.g. the post where they said "haha it's actually blue").

It's literally just the artist vs. scientist dichotomy.

umm sweetie photographic exposure and lighting isn't a meme.

You typed a whole lot to merely say, "I'm stupid."

This was not a psy op or social experiment. There exists actual companies out there that try to manufacture memes. Yes i'm serious. My ex used to run the social media page for a major over the counter medicine provider and she said she sat in meetings with these guys. The moment the dress meme exploded major companies had meme pics ready to take advantage of it. Anytime you see some meme blow up by normies and you ask yourself, how did this shit get popular its because of these guys. They probably pushed Joe Biden memes as well.

no

I saw it as white and gold to begin with then when I looked harder I could see it turn blue and black

They are.

>using histograms to discredit the postmodernist interpretation of memes is stupid

k famalam

Haha, you're a fucking loser with no friends. How do you explain showing it to someone and them seeing something different when you're both looking at the same picture?

I felt the same, but then I realized my brain was simply adjusting automatically for what I knew to be an overexposure. My less photographically experienced friends all saw white and gold. It was then I realized I had conditioned to see what I expected, not what actually was.

KEK

I thought it was white and gold at first. Mostly because it literally LOOKS white and gold.

I suppose an assumption was also made on my part that the dress was in a shadow. The area behind the dress is extremely brightly lit, and for some reason it seemed strange or unlikely that the dress itself would also be that brightly lit - which seems to be the case, since it's apparently so brightly lit that the black areas of the dress appear to be yellow or gold.

The psyop was about condition everyone to monotheism.

The truth is, there are and always were two dresses. The one in the photograph, and the one in real life. The photograph may or may represent a reliable abstraction of the dress, but the photograph is not the dress. It can never be the dress.

Photography has become so ubiquitous now people can't even see it for what it is.

Could this possibly have been the touch of two timelines interacting? It would explain how both sides genuinely saw only one type of dress because they in fact did

>Photography has become so ubiquitous now people can't even see it for what it is.

brings NASA to mind

No matter how hard I try, I can not understand how people see ''black and blue''. The fuck? It's clearly gold, and the ''blue'' looks like a white in shadow.

There are four lights

GUL DUKAT DID NOTHING WRONG.

HE WAS THE BEST THING THAT COULD HAVE HAPPENED TO BAJOR.

It's like pic related. It looks reddish because of the light/white balance, but the album cover is pure black in reality

Open it in photoshop and keep moving the brightness slider up and down. After a while you won't be able to see the W/G anymore.

There is no "gold and white one". The image in OP shows a black and blue dress, and a filtered black and blue dress.

No, it was to warn the objective folks of the subjective retards around them.
>retards argue over what colour it is
>intelligent radical centrists realise it is black and blue but appear different to different observers
>this "illusion" demonstrates the fallibility of human perception and need to strive for objective truth